• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking for a good game with a townbuilding mechanic, and its a good game, like the breath of fire series, idk many games with that type of mechanic, i can think of suikoden, digimon world, and dark cloud? Is there other games that are good and have this kind of mechanic?
maxresdefault.jpg

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Was gonna say the original Digimon World, but you've already got it listed. Watching File City expand with every recruitment was fun to see.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Ni No Kuni II? You don't have control over to where build structures but you have several types to build and upgrade and npc to assign roles to each structure and recruit through side stories.

I really liked the game but I know several people here didn't.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Ni No Kuni 2, especially after the hard mode patch. It's super addictive. It was kind of pointless before because the game was way too easy and even though hard mode doesn't make it astronomically hard, it does give more incentive to dig deep into the town building.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
Another vote for Ni No Kuni II.
Probably not a favorite here but the town building aspect was really satisfying to me. And play in hard as previous poster mentioned.

spidye

Oct 28, 2017
610gJQhtj5L.jpg

Azure Dreams for PSX

rogue like dungeon crawler with monster breeding aspects and has a town building aspect as well

I really miss classic Konami

Mar 31, 2018
Like others said, Ni No Kuni 2 has this. Fun game as well though many might disagree :P

Your typical feel good RPG game

E: My Time At Portia might be something worth looking into though it doesn't fit the RPG requirment, I guess. That game is all about building and expanding the world slowly but it might be not really what you are looking for

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Little King's Story! Basically the entire point of the game is to build your kingdom and conquer distant lands. There's a steam release now too.

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
I came in here to say Breath of Fire II, but I see the thread creator is already a person of taste! :)

PnyDxHk.gif

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Quest Builders 2 probably isn't exactly the sort of game you're looking for, but I'd say it's worth a look in any event if you're open to it and haven't seen it before.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
i like crpgs i watched the trailer and it looks interesting, i will give a try
It is a very good game that admittedly launched in a rough state, but has since been patched to hell and back. The Pathfinder ruleset is very similar to D&D, so you should feel right at home if you have experience with those kinds of games.

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
A-Train is, but in a very different sense than you mean. You play as a transportation company (primarily Trains), and you build out the network of stops and lines between them, as well as managing everything about them. You can set individual schedules and time spent at each station on a per-train basis, as well as control when they go to bed at night.

The town building comes from the way that infrastructure builds out the city. Build stops near some houses and parks, and it's more likely to increase the residential zones. You effectively build the town through your indirect actions, though you have to do it intelligently or you go bankrupt.

Ez2Matt

One Winged Slayer
Nov 20, 2017
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King the best wiiware game I ever played

t67443

Oct 30, 2017
came to say ni no Kuni 2, but if you want a boredom simulator, Asscreed Valhalla.
Who hurt you?

But honestly Assassin's Creed 2, 3 and Valhalla have some base building / town building. You don't have to worry about locations to put shops to optimize the town or anything though like with Dark Cloud.

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
i like crpgs i watched the trailer and it looks interesting, i will give a try
I haven't played myself but the game is on my wishlist for quite a long time. Each time I go to buy it, I remember myself that I have DOS2 that I haven't completed and Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny that I never started.

As Loanshark had said, the game was in bad shape at release but the devs got it fixed by now. Moreover, there's a follow-up planned later this year (I think it's still planned for 2021). If you want more info on the follow up, here's the official website:

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous – The New Upcoming RPG

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Dark Cloud 2!!!!!!!!!

Man that game is so good but soooo long and soooo slow.

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Quest 3, Dragon Quest 4, and Dragon Quest 7

BUT it's not THAT great! tho.

Also thumb up to people who brought up BOF2 and Dark Cloud 2.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Wish this trope were more common, just reading through this thread it's like "yep, loved that game" and "ooh yeah that was Great" just non stop. The Might and Magic RPGs (not the Heroes strategy games) did this a few times as well, with at least the Xeen games and 7 featuring castle building and a little diplomacy (handled through quest storylines kinda similar to Neverwinter Nights 2 expansion)

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
White Knight Chronicles :) I really liked it, quite a grind tho and I don't know what you can do on it now without online play. I imagine it's much the same only the coop missions would be played alone which is likely very difficult in places.

WeteHa

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King was actually pretty fun. But it is (was?) only available on wiiware.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Dragon Quest Builders 2, where you are literally building JRPG towns brick by brick.

TeHi & BuSp

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Letter_to_Jowy_by_Invisiblackink.jpg

Suikoden 2 ...sort of.
Not really a city builder but the satisfaction of seeing the protagonist's castle grow as the plot progresses

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
White Knight Chronicles :) I really liked it, quite a grind tho and I don't know what you can do on it now without online play. I imagine it's much the same only the coop missions would be played alone which is likely very difficult in places.

I still loved WKC1 and 2. I know they weren't amazing, they had problems. But fuck, I wish it got a remaster or something. In a way for me... It was FF14 before FF14.

I wish the online had been way more popular. It had so much potential to fill that niche of online RPGs that aren't MMOs.

Fuck, I still got the disc... Maybe I should emulate it if possible? I don't have a PS3 anymore.