• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
I introduced my girlfriend, now wife, to Katamari Damacy 1 on our first date. I got a 2nd date so it must've done something right. A year later, we obsessively played LBP1 as well.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Overcooked.

The problem being that it does end rather quickly and then you're looking for something new again.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
A Tiktoker recommended Assassin's Creed Odyssey to my partner, she decided to jump on my PC and buy it and she likes it so far.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Nidhogg/Nidhogg II - My wife and I have TON of fun with this one. It's really simple to learn and a lot of fun.

We first saw/played Nidhogg at some art exhibit and she loved it. When I realized it was a game on consoles, I downloaded it, I think we only played it once together, and then it sat there haha.

I definitely have some games I've purchased in the hopes that she'll like them only to find that she doesn't really.

Zaimokuza

May 14, 2020
I recommend the Trine games. I played one in coop at a friend's house during a party and had a lot of fun.

They're accessible, linear and fully playable in coop.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I play a lot of Soul Calibur VI with my girlfriend. The game is kind a button-mashing so she can do very well.
Unravel 2 is also a good choice for us.

Aim_Ed

Nov 1, 2017
Since no one's said it,

Borderlands 3 (probably the other 3 aswell, i just think they're very boring)
A Way Out
Trine series (someone just beat me to it)
.... and maybe Divinity: Original Sin

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Stay away from The Last of Us 2. My wife hates watching me play the "gameplay" segments, as I look in every nook and cranny for items, ammo or collectibles.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
  • What Remains Of Edith Finch (great story, short enough to run through in a weekend, very easy introduction/pace, will let her learn 3d controls in a non-punishing environment).
  • Untitled Goose Game (some of the trickier bits you can control the goose but ask her to offer suggestions for puzzles)
  • Peggle (it's the best)
  • The Gardens Between (a really simple and engaging puzzle game, doesn't overstay its welcome)
  • Costume Quest 1&2 (very cute game, RPG-light (will introduce those mechanics other games further down the line will use, without being punishing).
  • Limbo/Inside (a step up from the previous ones in terms of dexterity requires, but if she can play Mario, she can play these. They are both games that leave a lasting mark)

Last edited:

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Adventure Point and click games. Both tries to solve the puzzles, change person controlling the mouse every 10 minutes.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
2D platformers with coop mode are great. Not having to deal with a 3D camera is important.

DKC:TF and Returns, NSMBU, Rayman Legends, Kirby on Switch etc.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
My experience with people who don't play games in general is that they struggle excessively with the camera. Younger people can pick it up easier but don't expect them to be pulling off complex stuff with it for a bit.

You need something that either has a fixed camera or something that the camera snaps back up front.

Heavily cinematic games are good. Easy to get into and learn how to use the controller. Teach all the buttons and it's like a movie so they already know how it works.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I don't know what systems you have, etc but here's the kinda stuff my wife likes to play/watch...
Uncharted
Detroit
FF7R (story stuff not random fights)
Until Dawn
Beyond Two Souls

Story driven, non open world kinda games. My wife may also have a crush on Nathan Drake.

Trilobite

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I'd like to chime in with the return of the Obra Dinn. It is such as different game experience that my wife got hooked pretty quickly, we ended up finishing it in a day and a half. Great for problem solving and discussions.

Nov 1, 2017
DFW, Texas
Mario Party is always a winner -- really any of the Nintendo multiplayer games are made for casuals to enjoy. The days of quiz games are long gone, but back in the 360 days, 1 vs 100 was a big winner with the ex-wife who was not a gamer at all besides the random pinball.

Wrynnax

Oct 29, 2017
Life is strange, it's the perfect mix between game and movie. She'll love it for sure.

Oct 27, 2017
You can never go wrong with pinball. Try out some of the Pinball FX3 licensed tables if you can. It has that good mix of luck and skill where you can play against each other at a moments notice and the games don't go too long unless you are really good.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My wife and I played the shit out of Minecraft and Diablo 3 (both comfy couch PS4).

Otherwise we both love playing trivia games.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Cat Quest 2. Play the cat in a healer role and let her clobber things with the dog in heavy armor. Dodge, clobber, dodge, clobber. On story mode it's very difficult to lose that way. Couch coop.

Kylarean

Oct 25, 2017
Gig Harbor, WA
My wife played Dragon Quest Builders on my brother's switch when he was visiting. Then she bought her own switch with that and got into Minecraft (which she said she could never understand how my son and I played that - she even had us go to MoPop for the Minecraft exhibit). Then she beat Breath of the Wild, some Assassins Creed games, and started Skyrim (hates the combat, but I did warn her). She has said she would never have thought she'd start playing games in her 40's.

Whiskeyjack

Oct 27, 2017
Don't listen to these Overcooked suggestions, unless you want to lose that friend.

Overcooked only ends one way.

giphy.gif

I disagree. My partner and I had a great time playing that game together. We even went after the Platinum. After a while, we barely needed to talk because we were totally in synch. If your relationship can't survive playing a coop game, maybe it just wasn't meant to be.

Gdourado

Oct 1, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
My wife is not a gamer at all, but she loved to backseat on Uncharted 4, quantum Break, resident evil 2, until dawn, men of Medan.
She still doesn't want the controller, but these games are growing on her...

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
What a bout The Last Guardian? It's a game that basically always interested and impressed non-gamers in my experience. Trico is just so lovable and believable and the story so emotional. It's an experience to bond over.

5fa82f0b93e221765b6babb6beaeac49.gif

Clipo

Jul 13, 2020
Walking simulators, Graphic adventure games, beat-em-ups, Mario games, Animal Crossing.

Oct 26, 2017
Any Bubble Bobble game including the original via Arcade Archives (Bubble Bobble was literally created as a way to get more girlfriends into arcades).
Unravel 2 (maybe a bit complex at times but it's very friendly in terms of design)
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (not really co-op but can be played with two sides of a single controllers)
Untitled Goose Game (hilarious to both watch and play)

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
A heads up with Overcooked--if you two don't communicate well, this game will absolutely make at least one of you very upset with the other. It definitely requires turning off the emotional brain and engaging the tactical brain.
Don't listen to these Overcooked suggestions, unless you want to lose that friend.

Overcooked only ends one way.

giphy.gif

This. Don't play Overcooked with someone that doesn't game but you want to stay friends with.

I disagree. My partner and I had a great time playing that game together. We even went after the Platinum. After a while, we barely needed to talk because we were totally in synch. If your relationship can't survive playing a coop game, maybe it just wasn't meant to be.

Wow, thanks for the free relationship advice, brb filing the divorce papers!

Cinematic games can work if she wants to watch. Uncharted comes to mind.

I suggest this, play some cinematic stuff and let her enjoy watching first. It's how I originally got into games back in elementary schools, I mostly watched other people play, unsure of my own capabilities (and not having my own console or PC at the time...).

My wife doesn't really play video games, but has recently gotten into some first-person mystery games. She adored What Remains of Edith Finch and has not been able to find something she likes as well, but The Vanishing of Ethan Carter was pretty good.

Your wife is cool! I suggest "gone home" although it will feel like a step back after the other two games she already liked. Maybe she's also going to like "Her Story" or fun FMV stuff like "Contradiction"? Maybe "Oxenfree" or "Night in the Woods" look interesting to her?

I think she might also enjoy Telltale Games' stuff (can you still buy "The Wolf Among Us"?) or Life is Strange.
Also the Sherlock Holmes series from Frogwares might be something she finds fun.
... and from there it's just a short hike over "Judgement" to start playing "Yakuza", which of course should always be the end goal here. (I jest.)

Personally I also suggest "To the Moon" as a great gateway drug into Visual Novels, but she might hate the graphics.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
My wife is the same way, OP. She enjoyed taking turns playing Yoshi's Crafted World, and she likes Mario Kart games, but that's it. She doesn't like 2 player games that much because she feels like it's too much pressure.

She did enjoy watching me playing Life Is Strange. The story really intrigued her and she enjoyed the playthrough. I started Beyond 2 Souls too and she was interested (I just couldn't finish it because I was playing on PS Now for PC and it required gyro).

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
I played Until Dawn with my wife last Halloween season. It was great because it's essentially an interactive movie, so one person can have the controller and the other person help with the decision making. She enjoyed engaging in the game this way.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
My wife was never a gamer and she made a complete 180 when I showed her Breath of the Wild. I know you are asking for games you can play together, but I had a blast watching her play BotW and it really opened up her eyes that games weren't all mindless hack and slash or shooting games.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
My wife watches me play the recent Tomb Raider games or Uncharted, and she'll assist with the puzzles. Otherwise she doesn't give a fig about games.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Terraria might be good.

We Were Here 1 and 2, or Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes for joint puzzle solving. These games are very communication heavy so hopefully it doesn't cause fights lol.

Raft for joint survival stuff.

Mario Galaxy if she just wants to help collect stuff and shoot things while you do the platforming.

Space Engineers or Factorio if you like building stuff together.

Last edited:

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
The LEGO games are pretty solid. Just pick whichever property they like best and go with that, there should be at least one that she'd like (DC comics, Marvel, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, LEGO Movie, Star Wars, Pirates of the Caribbean, Indiana Jones, Ninjago, LEGO City, etc.).
My experience with people who don't play games in general is that they struggle excessively with the camera. Younger people can pick it up easier but don't expect them to be pulling off complex stuff with it for a bit.

You need something that either has a fixed camera or something that the camera snaps back up front.

Heavily cinematic games are good. Easy to get into and learn how to use the controller. Teach all the buttons and it's like a movie so they already know how it works.
Yeah, I had my partner try some of my a Switch games when Covid started and right stick camera controls were definitely something she wasn't good at.

She played BOTW for a bit, but only ever moved the camera when it was absolutely necessary, and sometimes not even then (like looking at a monster running up on her).

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017
My GF hadn't played a games console since childhood, over 20 years ago. Thankfully that's changed.

Games she plays on her profile:
Stardew Valley
Rayman Legends
Untitled Goo
Tetris Effect
DJ Max Respect

Games we play/have completed together:
Overcooked
Towerfall Ascension
Knowledge is Power
Horizon Chase Turbo
Sherlock / Poirot point'n'click-esque adventures
Telling Lies
Her Story
Return of Obra Dinn
The Witness
What remains of Edith Finch
Until Dawn
Rory McIlroy PGA Golf!
Detroit
Last Guardian
Shadow of the Colossus

And so on. I have Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime but haven't ever tried that with her, so will give that a go soon. Don't Starve Together too.

It's controlling the 3D camera that she struggles with in the main, so most of the games we play avoid that.

Last edited:

Theworld

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 6, 2020
The LEGO games are pretty solid. Just pick whichever property they like best and go with that, there should be at least one that she'd like (DC comics, Marvel, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, LEGO Movie, Star Wars, Pirates of the Caribbean, Indiana Jones, Ninjago, LEGO City, etc.).

Yeah, I had my partner try some of my a Switch games when Covid started and right stick camera controls were definitely something she wasn't good at.

She played BOTW for a bit, but only ever moved the camera when it was absolutely necessary, and sometimes not even then (like looking at a monster running up on her).

Same. She loves Crash bandicoot and 2D Mario or Mario Kart, because she doesn't have to move the camera.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
fall guys is perfect for that. Even my 5 year old is getting into it.
Yes! It's great because, while most of us here get upset if we don't make it a good distance. Casual / new players get a kick out of beating out even just 5-10 others, which is generally pretty easy. So even if they didn't "Win" they feel better than at least a handful of others, keeps them going.