• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
2019 was a really weird year for good games. We had the release of DMC5, which was clamored for by some passionate fans for a long time (including yours truly). It came out, looked great, played great, but was not really talked about?

Same with Sekiro. I felt like that game was also great (superb even), but it didn't have the legs that RDR2 or Death Stranding does.

What other games come to mind for you?

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sekiro had much better legs than the actual walking sim

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yoshi's crafted world. it's a great collectathon platformer but was largely forgotten shortly after release

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
7b428d17b041ae65f599c2d641320b2735e4f673db275bf433a06f350919c924_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg

Just came out on Switch and it's already seemed to be passing people by, which is a shame since it's the best Mario RPG since Bowser's Inside Story.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
It felt like Borderlands 3 was barely talked about, I even remember this thread.

www.resetera.com

What's happened to Borderlands 3?

Before Borderlands 3 released, the game was mostly hyped. People were excited despite the EGS controversy. We are now post Borderlands 3 and I barely see it mentioned anymore. I have to actively search for it to find people talking about it. The only times I see it on twitter are when the...

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
It felt like Borderlands 3 was barely talked about, I even remember this thread.

www.resetera.com

Before Borderlands 3 released, the game was mostly hyped. People were excited despite the EGS controversy. We are now post Borderlands 3 and I barely see it mentioned anymore. I have to actively search for it to find people talking about it. The only times I see it on twitter are when the...
yeah it was this for me though I didn't buy it so my anecdotal experience doesn't mean much

Oct 27, 2017

www.resetera.com

As someone who bought the game and season pass day 1. The "it fell off a cliff" reception of the game past launch was justified.

Game felt like it needed another 4-6 months of polish and testing which led to a lot of exploits that went unchecked for a couple of months that people grew to love and rely on which then led to a loads of nerfs as a means to course correct

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
What are you basing that on? People say the same about KH, but every time I needed some advice during my first playthrough this past month people were very quick to answer and engage in discussion.

I still talk about Sekiro almost daily.

Sure, people won't randomly talk about these games in unrelated threads like they bring up Bloodborne to shit on The Witcher in every opportunity, but they still have active and dedicated communities if you go after them. Can't expect much more from exclusively single player titles.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019

www.resetera.com

Yeah, the buzz around Borderlands 3 was huge pre-release but then just disappeared.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sekiro is currently on its OT2 with 40 thousand posts between the two, while RDR2 is at about 35k, and that a 2nd wind with the PC re-release, has multiplayer, and sold likely at least 5 times as much.

There was just a thread today where someone else was like "feels like Death Stranding didn't sell well and nobody's talking about it" so the fact it's your example is amusing.

Maybe perspectives aren't perfect.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Most single player games that don't have any GaaS/DLC tend to have their discussion falter after a couple months, it seems.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

www.resetera.com

i keep forgetting that this game was even released

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Gears 5 considering it has a major MP component and one of Microsoft's marquee franchises.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who bought the game and season pass day 1. The "it fell off a cliff" reception of the game past launch was justified.

Game felt like it needed another 4-6 months of polish and testing which led to a lot of exploits that went unchecked for a couple of months that people grew to love and rely on which then led to a loads of nerfs as a means to course correct

I also bought the Super Deluxe edition, but I think the reason BL3 hasn't had the lasting power that people expected is that they didn't go the GaaS route like other loot shooters. I was actually surprised 2k didn't make them go that route honestly. A lot of people probably played the campaign and then dipped out because there wasn't as much of a reason to return to it until the DLC. There's no incentive to log onto BL3 frequently and as a result the conversation around the game has died out quite a bit.

Also, it's very much a standard Borderlands game without much innovation. It fills that void well and it's fun but doesn't go above and beyond to the point where people were really wowed with it.

MBABuddha

Banned
Dec 10, 2019
99.9% of games disappear within 2 weeks because there are just too many games coming out every day. I don't see how this deluge is sustainable over the next generation/ decade.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
No one seems to be talking about the new Call Of Duty anymore and that's multiplayer with GaaS elements!

It's ok, not every good game needs to be talked for months on end if they're single-player and have a definitive end. Unless if they have absolutely memorable or unique elements like storytelling, atmosphere, mechanics, systems that keeps getting new players feeling inspired enough to talk about it e.g. Outer Wilds, Control, A Short Hike, etc. Sekiro has been talked plenty, don't share your perspective OP.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017

www.resetera.com

Considering Borderlands 2 IS STILL IN THE TOP 100 played on Steam is interesting. I wonder how BL3 will compare.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017

pretty much this. The game crashed consistently once an hour for at least one person in my group of 4. This was on xbox. Then they nerfed everything I used to complete shit and I didnt care enough to go change all my guns and playstyle.

besides borderlands 3, seems like kingdom hearts 3 was completely forgotten till the dlc came out, and now has been completely forgotten again just as fast. For me personally, I couldnt tell u a single thing that happened in the game other than going to specific disney worlds. That game went in and out of my head. Theres no way it could have lived up to that build up though.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
This is stupid because it's all about perspective. Some people claim nobody's talking about Death Stranding anymore but I see it all the time even when I'm not looking for it.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
DMC5 is still talked about constantly by people that are into character action games, Sekiro is still brought up constantly on here at least.

It's just the fate of many SP games that the discussion only continues on in their respective communties after a few weeks, simply Too many games and GaaS that occupy the heads pace of the general audience.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
It felt like Borderlands 3 was barely talked about
To be fair, there is a significant crowd of people who are still waiting two more weeks for the game to finally release. :)

Death stranding. No one seems to be talking about it.
The thread title said good games.
True. If we're just talking about simply "good", then that definitely rules out the overall 2019 GotY winner.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida

And to add on, the story itself was really bad, so, at least I feel, anyone that doesn't wanna talk game mechanics (of which you've already explained), there's not really anything else left to talk about, at least not positively.

besides borderlands 3, seems like kingdom hearts 3 was completely forgotten till the dlc came out, and now has been completely forgotten again just as fast. For me personally, I couldnt tell u a single thing that happened in the game other than going to specific disney worlds. That game went in and out of my head. Theres no way it could have lived up to that build up though.

It didn't. It sits in a weird place storywise of not being a satisfying conclusion (imo) since it was busy either meandering or setting up for the future, but also not really giving us anything to work with for speculation. All the new info is locked behind the phone game and that moves at a snail's pace.

Remind reinvigorated my enjoyment of 'playing' KH, but 'people' aren't gonna talk about gameplay mechanics.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
DMC5's OT is consistently on the first page of Gaming Hangouts. I believe so are Sekiro and Death Stranding.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
If someone told me Death Stranding wasn't released yet I could believe it, I didn't see people talking about it not even during the first week. The hype was enormous and then it just... Happened.