• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
There's a couple in the PSP too, IIRC
The ones on PSP were Macross Frontier games and from a different studio (I believe?) so they weren't quite as good IMO.

Huh I never saw this one! I do remember really enjoying the DBZ: Attack of the Saiyans RPG on DS though.
It can be very basic and by-the-numbers as an RPG but still had enough charm and polish to keep me entertained.

There are quite a few Gundam games that are quality as well.

My personal favorite is Side Story 0079 on Dreamcast, but Encounters in Space (PS2) and Zeonic Front (PS2) are also very good games.
www.youtube.com

Let's Play Gundam Side Story 0079 Sega Dreamcast HD

Let's Play Gundam Side Story 0079 Sega Dreamcast HD

Mobile Suit Gundam Battlefield Record on PS3 was also a lot of fun IMO though it has some obvious flaws.
Definitely much better than the other PS3 Gundam game by a large margin at the very least.
www.youtube.com

Mobile Suit Gundam Battlefield Record 0081 - Federation story version (Part 5 Ending)

Total of 10 parts I made this video during the time I lost my account. I'm pretty scare of uploading Japanese relate material on Youtube from now on so the f...

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yu_gi_oh__duel_monsters_full_148183_by_popdood_dbemims.jpg

This was my shit.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Naruto: Rise of Ninja is pretty fun. It was developed by Ubisoft weirdly enough and has a bit of an Assassin's Creed open world vibe where you can explore the village and surrounding areas

Oct 25, 2017
I remember really enjoying Sword of the Berserk for the Dreamcast. Not sure how well it holds up.

edit: Some random gameplay footage:
www.youtube.com

Halo Infinite Gameplay Trailer Analysis: Are The Graphics Really 'Flat'...?

The reaction to the Halo Infinite gameplay reveal has been mixed. Gameplay looks great, but there's been lots of criticism of the 'flat' graphics. So what's ...
I found the DC game pretty eh. Also think you fumbled the video?

HUH
Never knew there was a DS version, or that it was localized. Might have to hunt this down! Had fun when I had the chance to play a bit of the GBA version in japanese.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
Yu_Yu_Hakusho_Tournament_Tactics__05521.1444743260.jpg

Don't recall beating it, but I had a good time, and it follows the show pretty closely.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
U.N. Squadron (Area 88 in Japan) is a sidescrolling shooter based on the manga Area 88. It's really solid and has an interesting plane upgrade system.

julian

Oct 27, 2017

HUH
Never knew there was a DS version, or that it was localized. Might have to hunt this down! Had fun when I had the chance to play a bit of the GBA version in japanese.
Lol. The fuck happened there?! I went through the video and everything.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

HUH
Huh I never saw this one! I do remember really enjoying the DBZ: Attack of the Saiyans RPG on DS though.
It can be very basic and by-the-numbers as an RPG but still had enough charm and polish to keep me entertained.
I would recommend it. The first game follows the Chunin exams and the second game is mostly filler with flashbacks to canon material, but both are solid RPGs.

I actually bought those games because they were turned based RPGs, rather than being into it for the license. Those games are the reasons I ended up watching Naruto weirdly enough lol. Sadly some of the unlockables are unable to be obtained now, since the DS's Wi-Fi mode is offline.

Not the same, but seeing this reminds me of the fact that I freaking forgot the Tag Force games. That should have been my initial response. Tag Force 3 especially was my jam. Joining Duel Academy, choosing a dorm and making relationships with the iconic cast, going through the story mode based on the show. Man what an amazing adaptation that was.

yugiohgxtagforce2_000.jpg

May 9, 2019
This is kinda cheating a bit since this is an adventure game and a fighting game but I think I count since the adventure is the main focus

3863.png

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I would recommend it. The first game follows the Chunin exams and the second game is mostly filler with flashbacks to canon material, but both are solid RPGs.

I actually bought those games because they were turned based RPGs, rather than being into it for the license. Those games are the reasons I ended up watching Naruto weirdly enough lol. Sadly some of the unlockables are unable to be obtained now, since the DS's Wi-Fi mode is offline.

Not the same, but seeing this reminds me of the fact that I freaking forgot the Tag Force games. That should have been my initial response. Tag Force 3 especially was my jam. Joining Duel Academy, choosing a dorm and making relationships with the iconic cast, going through the story mode based on the show. Man what an amazing adaptation that was.

yugiohgxtagforce2_000.jpg
Tbh, we've had a ton of good Yugioh games in general. Haven't seen it mentioned here, but Dungeon Dice Monsters on GBA is legit / my favourite game from that franchise:

latest

Samurai_Heart

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone play Attack of the Saiyans? How was it? Always interested me especially when Monolithsoft developed it.
_-Dragon-Ball-Z-Attack-of-the-Saiyans-DS-DSi-_.jpg

72d8a21300266de4391aee1d2e2bc76c.jpg

1-image001.png

20-image023.png

This is kinda cheating a bit since this is an adventure game and a fighting game but I think I count since the adventure is the main focus

3863.png
It's weird how America got this and it was also dubbed, whilst everywhere else got the follow up Unlimited Cruise but America didn't.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima PerĂş
Does yugioh Duel Links counts?
It has tons of anime fanservice. Most events recreate duels from the anime. Besides, the game is an excelent encapsuled and controlled yugioh experience.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Naruto: Rise of Ninja is pretty fun. It was developed by Ubisoft weirdly enough and has a bit of an Assassin's Creed open world vibe where you can explore the village and surrounding areas
God yes.

The exploration, the combat, the music, even the silly ramen delivery missions. I fucking loved Rise of a Ninja. It captured all the fun appeal of Naruto.

Naruto-The-Broken-Bond.gif

naruto-rise-of-a-n-4e2666e0d24dd.jpg

1261_0009.jpg

Jul 24, 2018
Fist of the North Yakuza has my favorite combat system in the Yakuza series so I'm gonna throw my vote with that one too.

Xan

Oct 27, 2017
Sailor Moon Another Story is a charming tribute to the show with some fun mechanics. It's almost Earthbound-esque at times. If it weren't for some really broken parts that require excessive grinding, I think it would be well regarded as an RPG.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Sword Art Online: Alicization Lycoris is Xenoblade on a budget

The Shaman King not-Castlevania game is alright

Initial D has some damn good arcade conversions

Tenchi Muyo had a decent SRPG back on the Super Famicom

I think the only DBZ game I really liked that wasn't a fighter was Battle of Goku

Also, while sort of a fighting game, Naruto Gekito Ninja Taisen 4 was kind of a staple for game nights for a long time.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Looks like people have covered the Macross PS2, the Ubi Naruto and Attack on Titan.

And not exactly a fighting game per se (1v1 sports, heh), but Prince of Tennis Crystal Drive DS was awesome tennis game with all the BS special moves from the anime.

Last edited:

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
The Shaman King not-Castlevania game is alright
This game is so hard I never beat it. The problem is the base mechanic is equipping sets of skills (spirits), and those sets can be made into presets so that's fine. The problem is that some of those skills should be basic mechanics. Like dashing.

And swapping skill sets isn't easy, and skills are very specialized.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
medabotswiiuvc_610.jpg

It's a shame medabots didn't outlive Digimon, Pokemon and the likes. It had so much potential but apperently assembling your own fighting robot was too cool for people.

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
Always loved the Dragon Ball SNES RPGs, even though I was playing them with terrible fan translations on emulators ages ago. Should try them again with a modern patch.

tumblr_o6ascn2xfx1qd4q8ao1_500.gif

latest

images

1nMF.gif

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I've been waiting for this game to go on sale forever. Seems like it's always at full price, both on PC and Switch.

Would you happen to know if it's been patched to play as well as the first game? I remember damning comparison videos on YT when it released, and just about everything (gameplay, visuals, presentation) seemed like a significant downgrade. But I loved the first game, and would absolutely play more of the same if that's what the sequel has now become.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
240.jpg

Sword of the Berserk was a pretty good DC game for its time and it introduced me to Berserk so for that I'm thankful.

latest

Miura (the manga series author/artist) also wrote the story and did the character designs for the game.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
I know most people aren't fans of them, but I mostly enjoy Artdink's anime games. Two of my favourites that I've played:

Macross Delta Scramble - aerial combat game that captures the large-scale flight action of the series. Can switch between the three modes (mech, gerwalk, jet) by the press of a button.

2018-06-05-185145.jpg

World Trigger: Borderless Mission - it's janky as hell, but I felt this was a solid representation of the IP. Run around small hub cities as a super-soldier and fight invading neighbours.

e383afe383bce383abe38389e38388e383aae382ace383bce38080e3839ce383bce38380e383ace382b9e3839fe38383e382b7e383a7e383b3-7.jpg

I also enjoyed Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment, which felt like I imagined a game based on the series would be.

Attack on Titan (Koei-Tecmo) was also brilliant, although I haven't yet played Final Battle which I hear is the ultimate version of it.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Would you happen to know if it's been patched to play as well as the first game? I remember damning comparison videos on YT when it released, and just about everything (gameplay, visuals, presentation) seemed like a significant downgrade. But I loved the first game, and would absolutely play more of the same if that's what the sequel has now become.

No idea, sorry. I never played either game besides the demo for 2 which I liked. Seemed like it ran fine on PC for me, Switch version was really rough in comparison, though.