• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
There's a big overlap of fans of Japanese animation (anime) and video games and license holders are no stranger to cashing in. Unfortunately most of the time when an anime gets a game it's either a fighting game or a visual novel. Which is understandable when some of the popular anime out there are battle focused shonen shows.

Unfortunately I don't like fighting games so I don't get to play a lot of anime games but I'm interested in recommendations.

So lets recommend some dank ass anime games. Japan only games are welcome too but you have to at least think its fun. Can be janky as fuck but if you had fun I wanna know about it. Obscure animes are welcome. Just post with the assumption if someone checks the game out they will check out the source material too.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
220px-Astro_Boy_-_Omega_Factor_Coverart.png

Always and forever one of the best.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
One piece Pirate Warriors 3/4 are both solid. Fairy Tail is getting a turnbased(albeit budget) jrpg from the Atelier team that comes out Friday I'm curious to see how it turns out

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
The first one that always comes to mind is Ghost in the Shell on the PSX.

Fun tank shooter with killer music, original cutscenes, and just overall great production values for its time.

Makkah

Feb 9, 2018
Dragon Ball Advanced Adventure was pretty good.

Edit: I also really liked Yu Gi Oh: Eternal Duelist Soul back in the day.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Dragon Ball Z Legacy of Goku II, Buu's Fury, Attack of the Saiyans, DB Advance Adventure

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Another incredible title that doesn't really line up with the original material but instead bends it to the Yakuza formula, you have Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise

220px-Fist_of_the_North_Star_Lost_Paradise_cover.png

And it has some of the very best most hype music you could ever want for your boss fights, for example:

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Ball Advanced was a good beat'em up game on the GBA. There's also Dragon Ball Z Attack of the Saiyans JRPG on the DS which is pretty cool, even has some nice little callbacks to DB in it.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Ball Z Legacy of Goku series starting with 2 is really good.

latest

Don't play the first one unless you're curious. It's really bad.

OP
OP
waugh

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
Another incredible title that doesn't really line up with the original material but instead bends it to the Yakuza formula, you have Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise

220px-Fist_of_the_North_Star_Lost_Paradise_cover.png

And it has some of the very best most hype music you could ever want for your boss fights, for example:

I'd love to see the Yakuza team try another attempt at introducing another anime series to the Yakuza formula. I heard someone suggest Jojo before and I'd think that would be cool. Maybe an adaption of part 4.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
The early Xbox 360 Naruto games from Ubisoft are some of the best but forgotten games from last gen for me, no one ever talks about them. So random, Ubi making Naruto games exclusively on Xbox haha. But I LOVED them!

I guess they had fighting bits as well but the most fun is just jumping around, exploring the world collecting things. :P

Beautiful graphics, proper music from the show, such wonderful presentation made it feel like one of the most authentic anime games I'd ever played. I wish that series had continued instead of Ultimate Ninja Storm.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The Super Dimension Fortress Macross on PS2 is the gold standard here IMO.
Top-class flight shooting gameplay from Sega AM2, with an amazing amount of content (with mission structure based on both the TV series and movie adaptations).

www.youtube.com

The Super Dimension Fortress Macross PS2 超時空要塞マクロス 劇場版ルート08(終) 愛・おぼえていますか

遂に最終決戦です!原作通りに何処を向いても敵だらけ!(゜ω、。) 無数の敵をマイクロミサイルや反応弾で次々と撃墜して行く爽快なステージです。 「愛・おぼえていますか」からボドルザーとの一騎討ちまでの流れが凄く良いです。 原作の、そして、このゲームの良い所がぎゅっと凝縮された最高のステージです!(・ω・´) 秘密の...

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
the DBZ and Yugioh gba games were good. There was also a Zoids RPG on the GBA I remember enjoying.

Digimon world on the PS1 was a game I spent hours in as well.

Oct 25, 2017
The Super Dimension Fortress Macross on PS2 is the gold standard here IMO.
Top-class flight shooting gameplay from Sega AM2, with an amazing amount of content (with mission structure based on both the TV series and movie adaptations).

www.youtube.com

The Super Dimension Fortress Macross PS2 超時空要塞マクロス 劇場版ルート08(終) 愛・おぼえていますか

遂に最終決戦です!原作通りに何処を向いても敵だらけ!(゜ω、。) 無数の敵をマイクロミサイルや反応弾で次々と撃墜して行く爽快なステージです。 「愛・おぼえていますか」からボドルザーとの一騎討ちまでの流れが凄く良いです。 原作の、そして、このゲームの良い所がぎゅっと凝縮された最高のステージです!(・ω・´) 秘密の...
There's a couple in the PSP too, IIRC

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Evangelion 64 was pretty dope. The visuals and audio were outstanding. There are some one-on-one fights with Angels but they're definitely not the same as a fighting game.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Record of Lodoss War on Dreamcast. Unfortunately never played it myself but has some neat Diablo ish gameplay.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Afro Samurai for the PS3 was pretty solid, but it's been a minute.

71ZCDECel0S._SX342_.jpg

Systems weren't as fluid as they could have been, but it was still a good hack'n slash that told the story of the game in a strong visual style.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ghost in the Shell on PS1 is probably my fave.

Super fun and it has fantastic anime cutscenes in the style of the comics.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This might be cheating, but a majority of the yugioh video games are pretty decent.
A few of them, like Forbidden Memories and Reshef of Destruction are... not so, though.

ΑGITΩ

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
FROM's best game coming through
amJfNZ1.jpg
Absolutely.
Modded my ps2 and this was my first ever import. So many hours spent on this game. Featuring my favorite Gundam (X).
Shame R on Ps4 was a huge step backwards for the series. Id love another one, i found this better than SRW games, and i love those.