• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Mr. Inbetween is an amazing show that's finished, with three short seasons, totaling only 26 episodes- about the same as an American prime time network show. But it's all killer, no filler.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Oct 25, 2017
If you're willing to go up to three short seasons and are down for a show more about the characters and themes, The Leftovers is one I highly recommend.

Seconded. You can skip through the first two episodes of season 1 cos they're dull as fuck and season three is only 8 episodes. Well worth it, seasons 2 and 3 are some of the best TV ever.

I doubt anyone will recommend this, but one of my favorite shows ever, is Life on Mars (but by god, I'm only talking about the British original one), the show is about a cop who, in 2006 gets in an accident and wakes up in 1973, and he has to figure out if he's mad, a time traveler, or what is going on with him, all while working as a cop in the 70s with his 2006 mindset.
2 short seasons, 16 episodes total and it ends, it's just fantastic (they did another show as a sort of... Sequel after it, but it's not good, or even necessary). I found out about that show because I read a while back it's name on a ranking of best TV endings, and hey, it didn't disappoint me.

Second this too, it was so thrilling to seea show like that on UK tv at the time. Disagree on Ashes to Ashes being unnecessary though, that show ended that whole universe really well I thought and it's always fun seeing a show set the 80s in the UK and Keeley Hawes with a perm 😍

And either of David Simons miniseries are great too. Can't go wrong with either Generation Kill or Show Me a Hero.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dark
The Terror Season 1
Midnight Mass (or any Mike Flanagan thing on Netflix)
Watchmen
Sharp Objects
Chernobyl
Station Eleven
The White Lotus on HBO
Lovecraft Country
Queen's Gambit
Mare of Easttown
30 Coins (low budget but great characters and unexpectedly great story development, bad CGI)
True Detective Season 1
The Night Of
Channel Zero (horror anthology series)

Jul 14, 2018
Philadelphia
If you're open to anime, Odd Taxi is a great mystery series. 13 episodes with an OVA that just came out in Japan.

bna-oddtaxi-nadur-benn.jpg

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What have you seen?

Fleabag
Watchmen
Rome
Chernobyl
Band of Brothers

Fantastic list, I'd also add first season of True Detective along with Broadchurch (first season phenomenal, second and third season still good but worth watching just first season if you wanted) I also quite enjoyed Luther as a 2-3 season quick watch (BBC so seasons are like 3 long episodes)

SomeOneInaHat

Nov 9, 2017
I'm throwing Mr. Inbetween in the ring. It tells a compete story in 3 seasons and let's it end. Wish more people talked about it.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Seconded. You can skip through the first two episodes of season 1 cos they're dull as fuck and season three is only 8 episodes. Well worth it, seasons 2 and 3 are some of the best TV ever.
Uhh, I wouldn't recommend anyone skip the first two episodes of any show personally. The show definitely gets better as it goes on but you're going to want the setting and character establishing those episodes do for the stuff that comes later to be as good as it is. Skipping or even skimming is just going to lead to confusion down the line.

Indurian

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed Altered Carbon. It's 2 seasons, but you could probably be okay just watching the first and skipping the second.

If you can go 3 seasons I will always suggest Dark, but others have that covered for me.

Master_Funk

Oct 25, 2017
I just watched the Underground Railroad on Amazon ( one season). Its incredible but one of the most difficult series to binge watch.

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
Lots a good ones mentioned (including an absolutely winning first post - seriously watch Gravity Falls)

But I'd add Freaks and Geeks, its only 1 season and its absolute perfection. Plus a cast full of stars before they were stars. It also was kinda the marking point of the beginning of when Apatow kinda dominated the larger comedy movie scene during the entirety of the 2000s

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Andy Richter Controls the Universe had two short, excellent seasons and no one ever talks about it.

American Vandal. Has 2 seasons 10 episodes each and is fucking fantastic. Basically a parody of Making a murder but with a high school setting and it's very well done. Has a a whodunit element that is actually very compelling too.
Also this.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
There are so many things to choose from.

But The Terror (s1), True Detective (s1 only), and Queen's Gambit are all top tier television that fit the bill of what you are asking for.

The first season of The Terror is a good one, as it is a fantastic show and even better that it is based on a real event that is honestly more horrifying than the supernatural elements of the show.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
I also recommmend the Knick. It's a great periodic show, not horror but there's some fairly tense moments in there.
The terror S1 - It's a one off story, great horror show.
Dr Death - Thoroughly entertained almost horror like how doctor nearly got away with so much horrific acts.
Perry Mason - It's not exactly finished but it's only got one season so far that can feel self contained without requiring further seasons and it's brilliant performances all-round for those who love mystery.
Kingdom - Korean Zombie show - really high quality
La Garconne - French I think, was entertained for what it was, short mystery, detective, a bit of suspension of disbelief required.
The Alienist

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Oct 25, 2017
Uhh, I wouldn't recommend anyone skip the first two episodes of any show personally. The show definitely gets better as it goes on but you're going to want the setting and character establishing those episodes do for the stuff that comes later to be as good as it is. Skipping or even skimming is just going to lead to confusion down the line.

Lol fair enough maybe not eps 1 and 2 (even though episode 3 with Matt is the first good one) but I maintain there are some great episodes in season 1 but also some you could totally not pay much attention to and still enjoy the other two seasons. I had to bug the shit out of my girlfriend to finish watching season 1 (a re watch for me) over the course of a couple of months because she found it such a slog, once we got onto season 2 we've nearly finished it in just over a week.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Second this too, it was so thrilling to seea show like that on UK tv at the time. Disagree on Ashes to Ashes being unnecessary though, that show ended that whole universe really well I thought and it's always fun seeing a show set the 80s in the UK and Keeley Hawes with a perm 😍

And either of David Simons miniseries are great too. Can't go wrong with either Generation Kill or Show Me a Hero.

Oh I like Ashes to Ashes, who can say no to more Gene Hunt, but hey, he wants short series and I think that Life On Mars stands alone just fine.
Actually googling for this post I found that they're apparently moving on a third season of that show, holy shit, please give it to me

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020

Lol fair enough maybe not eps 1 and 2 (even though episode 3 with Matt is the first good one) but I maintain there are some great episodes in season 1 but also some you could totally not pay much attention to and still enjoy the other two seasons. I had to bug the shit out of my girlfriend to finish watching season 1 (a re watch for me) over the course of a couple of months because she found it such a slog, once we got onto season 2 we've nearly finished it in just over a week.
I mean yeah, I'd rate the seasons like...
Season 1 - 6/10 or 7/10, depending on episode
Season 2 - 9/10 with one 10/10 episode (you know the one lol)
Season 3 - 7/10 or 8/10, depending on episode

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the good ones are already mentioned. Especially Airbender and American Vandal

My contribution is Sharp Objects. It's on HBO max I think. It's one season. It's very dark but I loved it.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Devs

devs-review-sci-fi-series.jpg

From Alex Garland, the writer/director behind Ex Machina & Annihilation.

Just a phenomenal grounded sci-fi experience from beginning to end, that keeps you guessing throughout.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Vice_Principals.jpg

Is another good one. Was made to run for 2 seasons exactly. It's mainly a dark comedy but has some mystery elements as well in the second season. Walter Goggins is amazing in this as well.
Being the forums resident McBride shill I will add a plus one to this. However would like to make a correction that actually bolsters the argument for its inclusion in this thread. It wasn't created as two seasons, it was one complete story that Danny & co filmed all episodes and then gave to HBO under the caveat that was all there was ever going to be based on Danny feeling he was compelled into making more seasons of Eastbound & Down then was intended stretching the story out farther than it was meant to go. HBO then decided to split it up into two seasons.

As for my personal recommendation to OP especially if your into horror is Brand New Cherry Flavor on Netflix. Its a mini series so it was only intended to be one series. The same creatives were behind the Channel Zero show ( on shudder if you have access, it's four seasons but its an anthology series where each season is it down complete story with no relation to the others so you can watch or skip any series, I personally liked season 1&3, 1 is based off Candle Cove, 3 "butchers block" takes inspiration from both " Search and Rescue" from Reddit and more in general the ever persistent urban legends in certain run down areas of the country of missing kids and cannibalism) and it's an awesome, bizzare piece of WTF horror,very worth watching, based on a book and both the show and the source material is some of the more imaginative and original work I have seen in a long, long time.

Last edited:

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
8ec9336f063793394e84995ba7dc77c9.jpg

Darkly comic coming-of-age story that follows 16 year old Bethan as she deals with the anxieties and insecurities of teenage life, along with the stark reality of a home life that is far removed from what she projects to her friends.

2 Seasons 5 episodes each, I really liked it, great acting from Gabrielle Creevy and Jo Hartley pictured above.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I'm totally out of the loop with TV (streaming) shows because I don't feel like watching 10 seasons of something, or being burned without a proper ending.

Any recommendations, Era? Favorite genres are mystery/horror, but I'm open to anything interesting.

Check out Korean dramas. Most are one and done single season affairs.

If you want a really good mystery kdrama, check out Signal.

FerrisBueller

Jul 15, 2018
UK
814e67c5e511db56aa5e32093fbf6be82ffb03ff158228c1c39dc60ba5ffd18d._UY500_UX667_RI_V_TTW_.jpg

Kolchak: The Night Stalker. One season (20 episodes) and two TV movies.

One of the main inspirations for the X-Files.

Red Comet

Jan 6, 2018
My favorite two season show is HBO's Rome. It's simply a shame that it's only two seasons, but they did a great job covering the material that they needed to cover and wrapping it up satisfyingly enough.

guiloahhhhh

Oct 29, 2017
This is never coming back and one of the greatest shows I've ever seen. 2 tight seasons with no wasted movement. It looks generic but not at all what you think it is. Super smart, funny, and sad pretty much all at the same time. Please watch it

MV5BMzk0ODZiMTctOGYwZS00ZDU4LWI2ZDgtZjViZWRlNGQ1NDFiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjkwNzEwMzU@._V1_.jpg

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Seconded. You can skip through the first two episodes of season 1
The 1st episode is one of the strongest. It is incredible on rewatch because it outlines exactly what kind of grief each character is dealing with. I think S1 is unfairly maligned, it is a really great piece of metaphorical storytelling which probably helps that it is based on the book.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
To echo some suggestions:

The Knick(mixed feelings about S2 though)
Watchmen
Spartacus
The Terror

To add one:

The Tunnel(british series)

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Terriers

Didn't see it mentioned. But this was an excellent show that only got one season. A Private Eye show

terriers-best-fx-shows.png

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
If you count the original run, Twin Peaks.

If you include the third season from 2017, it's the greatest show of all time.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Lots a good ones mentioned (including an absolutely winning first post - seriously watch Gravity Falls)

But I'd add Freaks and Geeks, its only 1 season and its absolute perfection. Plus a cast full of stars before they were stars. It also was kinda the marking point of the beginning of when Apatow kinda dominated the larger comedy movie scene during the entirety of the 2000s
Came in here to say Freaks and Geeks. Such a fantastic show

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Watch dooesick… It is better than the vast majority of shows posted in this thread.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
American Vandal. Has 2 seasons 10 episodes each and is fucking fantastic. Basically a parody of Making a murder but with a high school setting and it's very well done. Has a a whodunit element that is actually very compelling too.

13fac019ce69c7bf8db72c965cf4f2a645b858ec5874418ffc6d549e0d93f00b._UY500_UX667_RI_V_TTW_.jpg

(HBO Max) Technically, each episode is a (whodunit) mystery. 2 seasons with an... ending. They did what they could to give people closure. If you've never seen it, it's worth watching for the visuals alone. It was too good for television, really. I miss it. 😭
These are the two that immediately came to my mind.

American Vandal is honestly one of the most underrated shows I've ever come across. I cannot believe there wasn't more interest in it. The opening to season 2 is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.