• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
I just picked up Operancia: The Stolen Sun and was loving it...until I hit what appears to be a game-breaking bug 8 hours in.

I probably won't be able to progress further here, but I still feel like my dungeon crawling itch remains unscratched. Are there any good dungeon crawlers available for PS4 or Switch these days?

I'm pretty open for suggestions and genres. Ideally I'd like to find something challenging, but not merciless. Hopefully this thread will be useful to all 6 of the other console-only dungeon crawler fans on here.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
The Bard's Tale IV has similar gameplay to Operencia and is available on PS4.

Edit: I haven't played it yet, so I can't comment on the game's quality, just based on genre and platform availability. Legend of Grimrock 1 and 2 are pretty good but restricted to PC.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
The Shin Megami Tensei series is arguably a dungeon crawler with a focus on story and some choice. There'll be a remaster of fan favorite SMT3 and a new SMT5 set to be released this year on Switch. They're not exactly like the other examples but I consider them really great games.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
Labyrinth of Refrain is pretty good and on Switch. SMT Strange Journey is a DRPG, but it's only on 3DS sadly, like the Etrian Odyssey games. SMT3 might be close to a dungeon crawler, I'm not too sure, and that will be out on Switch soonish hopefully.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Are DRPGs fine? If so, Labyrinth of Refrain is probably my favourite on both systems. Lots of kooky, interesting mechanics alongside a great story.

OP
OP
EntelechyFuff

EntelechyFuff

Nov 19, 2019
The Bard's Tale IV has similar gameplay to Operencia and is available on PS4.

Edit: I haven't played it yet, so I can't comment on the game's quality, just based on genre and platform availability. Legend of Grimrock 1 and 2 are pretty good but restricted to PC.

Bard's Tale 4 might be just what the doctor ordered based on some YouTube vids.

I'm very familiar with SMT, and am sad that none of their proper first-person games have hit console yet. Definitely looking forward to the Nocturne port.

Also I did a ton of googling around a Grimrock console port: I've heard nothing but good things about the series but looks like there are no plans to move from PC. :(

Are DRPGs fine? If so, Labyrinth of Refrain is probably my favourite on both systems. Lots of kooky, interesting mechanics alongside a great story.

Maybe I could've titled this thread better, but I'm looking for DRPGs in particular. Labyrinth of Refrain actually looks wonderful. What's the fanservice like in this game? I can tolerate some and the videos/images I'm looking at seem tame enough, so I'm hopeful.

komodothefist

Oct 30, 2017
Kowloon Highschool Chronicle came out recently for the switch, and that's been a pretty good time. It's like half visual novel/half dungeon crawler with a huge emphasis on puzzle solving. It was made by Atlus in the PS2 era and hasn't come out in English until now.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Labyrinth of Refrain is pretty good and on Switch. SMT Strange Journey is a DRPG, but it's only on 3DS sadly, like the Etrian Odyssey games. SMT3 might be close to a dungeon crawler, I'm not too sure, and that will be out on Switch soonish hopefully.
Yeah, go for Labyrinth of Refrain. I just picked it up recently, and it is great - a bit darker than the typical NIS rpgs.

OP
OP
EntelechyFuff

EntelechyFuff

Nov 19, 2019
I've booted up Bards Tale IV for a bit, and the production values (relative to the genre) really impressed me out of the gate.

Labyrinth of Refrain should be interesting too. I haven't played a NIS game since the original disgaea. Going to try and avoid whatever the equivalent of item dungeons in this game turn out to be, lol

Kowloon High School looks interesting but I'm on the fence. The PS1-era gameplay both appeals to me and puts me off (I know a lot of common QOL features will be missing).

Despite the tiny selection, I'm impressed by how different all of these DRPGs are!
There's a game of this type called Vaporum which is currently on sale on PSN.

Just picked up Vaporum today. Can't beat that price. Thanks for these suggestions!

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Darkest Dungeon is probably one of the better ones.

Yep I recommend Darkest Dungeon to pretty much everyone.
Also this was one of the games along with Xcom that got me keen on the idea of Ironman style of play, where you are effectively stuck with the decisions and failures you make. That then introduces often dramatic moments where you can make a pivotal turn around over bad situations, which are way more impactful this way.

Mar 11, 2020
There is Demon Gaze 1 and 2 of PS4.
Demon Gaze 1 is only vita, and it's a fantastice game. Demon Gaze 2 on the other hand, oof i hated it so much. Party members are set characters in that one and it turns into a Harem anime and what male party members it does have are vastly worse than the female versions. I hated 2 so much and wish they went more the route of 1 with full create a party.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
If you like or don't mind fanservice, Mary Skelter and its sequel (the sequel comes with the first game) are both really good on Switch. Probably some of my favorites in the genre if you like story/character focus in your DRPGs but you do need a tolerance for some sexy CGs, etc.

Mar 11, 2020
If you like or don't mind fanservice, Mary Skelter and its sequel (the sequel comes with the first game) are both really good on Switch. Probably some of my favorites in the genre if you like story/character focus in your DRPGs but you do need a tolerance for some sexy CGs, etc.
Is the story good though? I have been pretty tempted at that series since the mechanics look right up my alley. I know the 3rd part finale is coming out soon for it. I just don't know if it's too fanservicey for a gay guy to tolerate. I posted earlier I hated Demon Gaze 2 for that reason cause the fanservice seemed to take precedence over the story, but i had loved Demon Gaze 1

Mar 11, 2020
Also OP Saviors of Sapphire Wings / Stranger of Sword City Revisited combo game is coming out very soon, it's a remaster port of 2 dungeon crawlers and i can attest that Stranger of Sword City is fantastic. I haven't played Sapphire Wings myself yet

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Is the story good though? I have been pretty tempted at that series since the mechanics look right up my alley. I know the 3rd part finale is coming out soon for it. I just don't know if it's too fanservicey for a gay guy to tolerate. I posted earlier I hated Demon Gaze 2 for that reason cause the fanservice seemed to take precedence over the story, but i had loved Demon Gaze 1
I think the story and gameplay are quite good (there are even multiple novellas that have lore/prequel info about the game's setting), the fanservice doesn't really need to be there but they probably figured it'd help with sales. I understand if people would be put off by the aesthetic and/or fanservice though in general.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
If you like the mystery dungeon series, there's a remaster of the Wii Chocobo Dungeon game called Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon Every Buddy. It's pretty fun, although for my taste it has a bit too many story portions for a Mystery Dungeon game (especially in the beginning). But regardless, I think it's a lot of fun, especially if you like the Mystery Dungeon games like Shiren. It's on both PS4 and Switch.

EmptyGirl

Dec 17, 2020
I have been S T A R V I N G for a good dungeon crawler on either of these platforms. Really feeling the absence of Etrian Odyssey at the moment, I hope the new one Atlus teased a while ago is still in development. That being said there are a few decent dungeon crawlers on PS4/Switch right now.

I have some issues with Labyrinth of Refrain's battle system, and sometimes the storyline is problematic and/or needlessly cruel and morbid without a real thematic payoff, but on the whole it was definitely an experience that stuck with me. It's probably pretty cheap now since it released a while ago.

Another noteworthy dungeon crawler that I rarely see people talk about is Zanki Zero. The real time battle system isn't great, but the environments, music, story, and characters are all pretty good. The developer responsible for most of the programming of the Etrian Odyssey series, Lancarse, also worked on this game and as such most of the dungeon designs are a cut above the usual DRPG fare.

Looking forward to Saviors of Sapphire Wings, but don't care that it comes with Stranger of Sword City Revisited tbh. The original SoSC had a dull localization and also revolved around a loot grinding mechanic that I found annoying. Your mileage may very though, I know most DRPG fans speak highly of it.

Kowloon Highschool Chronicle came out recently for the switch, and that's been a pretty good time. It's like half visual novel/half dungeon crawler with a huge emphasis on puzzle solving. It was made by Atlus in the PS2 era and hasn't come out in English until now.

Thanks for mentioning this, I didn't know at all about this game but it looks really interesting! Adding it to my list

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA

Yes the mainline SMT games are essentially first person dungeon RPGs.

As for titles on the Switch, well off the top of my head. Mary Skelter 2 (which includes a port of the first game), Labyrinth of Refrain, The Lost Child, Vaporum, Severed. There is a few others like Monkey Tavern too.

Sometime next week Stranger of Sword City Redux / Savior of Sapphire Wings are coming out as well.

There is a quite a few DRPGs available on the Switch. The bulk majority of them however are on PC.

eddieXVI

Oct 27, 2017
I also recommend Bards Tale IV.
Good battle system and beautiful world with great atmosphere.
I recommend the highest difficulty.

It has it's faults and might be a bit too long, but I liked it very much.
The developers really put a lot of effort into it.

The ACG review gives you a good overview of the game.

And the soundtrack is just awesome:

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
It might not be exacelt (or even remotely) what you're after, but Silk on Nintendo Switch is very unique and ambitious turn based blobber game with grid movement, where you're given ENTIRETY of antiquity silk road and it's surroundings to explore as a gigantic open world. It's not for everyone and despite the game's scale the gameplay loop is rather simplistic, but it's intriguing little game for whoever has any interest in the region or historical period.

OP
OP
EntelechyFuff

EntelechyFuff

Nov 19, 2019
just an update for this thread. I ended up sticking with Vaporum. In terms of atmosphere, it actually reminded me a lot of Doom (the original) of all things.

The bite sized running time and the nifty ending were pleasant surprises too. Wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but was a nice change of pace.

It might not be exacelt (or even remotely) what you're after, but Silk on Nintendo Switch is very unique and ambitious turn based blobber game with grid movement, where you're given ENTIRETY of antiquity silk road and it's surroundings to explore as a gigantic open world. It's not for everyone and despite the game's scale the gameplay loop is rather simplistic, but it's intriguing little game for whoever has any interest in the region or historical period.

This is definitely not what I was looking for, but it seems incredibly interesting. What's a "blobber" game?

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
I also recommend Bards Tale IV.
Good battle system and beautiful world with great atmosphere.
I recommend the highest difficulty.

It has it's faults and might be a bit too long, but I liked it very much.
The developers really put a lot of effort into it.

The ACG review gives you a good overview of the game.

And the soundtrack is just awesome:

Co-sign both The Bards Tale IV and the soundtrack. It really is something special.