• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
So I'm looking to buy a board game or two for the family (my daughter is 9 yrs old) and was curious if you guys could recommend me a few.

We have most of the classics (Monopoly, Clue, Candy land, Guess Who, etc.) So I was thinking of getting something that may have come out in recent years and I might not know about.

Thanks guys

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Forbidden Island, Desert, and Sky are all great. Bonus points for being cooperative games.

We're Doomed! is also great for a laugh, and while the terminology it makes use of is definitely advanced for a 9 year old, the mechanics of the game are still quite fun and easy for a child to grasp.

I'm also a big fan of Zombie Dice. With a few folks, a single game goes by in a matter of minutes. While it's thematically violent, the game itself isn't violent at all; you're basically just rolling dice and trying to maximize brains on the dice while minimizing shotguns (i.e., you eat lots of brains and try not to get shot). I played it with my little cousins over Thanksgiving, and they loved it.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I've recently got back into board games - in part due to wanting to find some things I could relate to my nieces on in my crucial role as the cool uncle, and wanting to make a point of avoiding the games that everyone knows but aren't actually very good (Monopoly, Ludo, Snakes and Ladders, for instance!)

The big one that was an immense hit with them was Incan Gold (Also called Diamant depending on the edition), a push-your-luck game where the actual decisions required are very simple (On each turn, escape with your current loot or keep going) but the tactics and excitement - and a bit of light anticipating your opponents - are great. Also, you get a little dinky tent to keep your loot in. Everyone loves the tents.

Other games I've tried with them that had been successful:
Kingdomino: Big success as well, it's pleasingly tactile and making the strategic decisions are accessible enough while being interesting and engaging.
Loony Quest: Nice dexterity game that's not trivial for adults but still enjoyable for kids
For Sale: Other than a slight hurdle of teaching the concept of an auction, this is a good mix of strategic bidding and then anticipating your opponent's moves
Codenames: This is one of those games that works with anyone. I'm currently running a lunchtime gaming hour at work, and it's going down a storm there, too; great for adults *and* great for kids, although depending on the age you might need to get their confirmation that they're comfortable with the randomly-selected group of words that are in play. It's a team game of word association, and it's got a number of branded variants if they happen to be Marvel, Harry Potter, Disney or Simpsons fans.

Things I haven't played with them, but I gifted them over various christmasses and birthdays and they seemed to go down well:
Ice Cool: Another dexterity game of controlled flicking; not too dissimilar from PitchCar, but a bit less unwieldy!
Rhino Hero: A balance game that was recommended as an effective alternative to Jenga with some fun differences.
The Magic Labyrinth: Not to be confused with the better-known The Amazing Labyrinth, this is a memory game where you have to navigate a labyrinth with invisible walls - so you need to recall where you encountered walls as you go through it.
Bugs in the Kitchen: A fun action game where you're manipulating the walls of a maze to try to guide the randomly-moving bug into your opponent's kitchens.

Less successful, but I'd still recommend them:
Hey, That's My Fish: I didn't do a good job of explaining this, I think. It's still a good game with several layers of interesting tactics.
Sushi Go: Another I didn't explain very well. They're older now, I intend to give it another go when I see them again.

Planning to try for the future:
Quirky Circuits: I like to emphasise games with a little bit of worthwhile educational content (Incan Gold, basic division and light odds analysis). Quirky Circuits is a new release that's got some light programming concepts that should be useful for them.
Cockroach Poker: I've not really introduced them much to games based around bluffing and lying, so that's going to be an upcoming avenue. Through bluffing, convince your opponents to take detrimental cards, but if they call your bluff correctly, you'll get them instead.
Deep Sea Adventure: Given their fondness for Incan Gold and my general desire to guide them towards some co-operative games, I'm hoping this might bridge the gap a little; a similar concept of pushing your luck to gather treasure as you dive into some sunken ruins, but this, while it's competitive, also has a slight bit of shared responsibility in that everyone shares the same air tank!

General advice: My starting-off point was to look at winners and nominees for the Spiel des Jahres each year, which is an excellent place to get game recommendations when you're hitting the genre seriously for the first time.

(For the record: My nieces are now 9 and 11, but I last spent most time and tried most games with them a couple of years ago when they would have been 7 and 9)

Or, if you want the TL;DR: Incan Gold or Codenames. Both great games, both not offensively simple for adults to play too.

Edit: Oh, a corollary that I should mention: I have also got Forbidden Island, but haven't yet brought it to the table for them - because from observing them on a few games I came to the conclusion that their tastes - at least at the time - favoured games where the decision space is quite small and simple; that doesn't mean the game as a whole has to be simple, of course, but overwhelming them with options on their turn didn't work for them, at least when starting out. I suspect this is something that varies somewhat from person to person, so you might want to observe their play a little to see what they take to.

That said, I do intend to try Forbidden Island again at some point... because I live in hope of getting them to Pandemic some day!

Edit2: Oh, I'd completely forgotten that I'd played Dixit with them too, although that was when they were very young (5 and 7, I think? Possibly 4 and 6). I think it worked quite well but I'm not sure they fully engaged with it. It'd not be a bad idea to try that again.
Dixit's an interestingly abstract game where you tell brief one-sentence stories which try to convey an idea of a card containing some surreal imagery. It's a very different experience and as such there's no guarantee if people would take to it, but it's quite beautiful if they do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wood Man

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks guys. Tons of great suggestions. I'll look over these with the wife and decide on one or two.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quirky Circuits: I like to emphasise games with a little bit of worthwhile educational content (Incan Gold, basic division and light odds analysis). Quirky Circuits is a new release that's got some light programming concepts that should be useful for them.
I think Quirky can help teach some action programming basics, but also some deduction (since there is no verbal communication, you need to try to deduce what your teammates are playing and why). I also think it would be a big hit with a 9-yr old. It's very cute and charming, and the gameplay is fast and fun.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
mclem has a bunch of great suggestions! I'd throw Untold: Adventures Await on the list, depending on how into telling stories you are as a family. My Little Scythe and others of that nature are good, too, because they actually start teaching some critical thinking and strategy skills.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Off the top of my head, my kids liked:

Megaland
Munchkin: Treasure Hunt
Mice and Mystics (though this one is on the complex side so I have to assist in some parts and employ house rules over the book rules).

Other notables that aren't board games per say:
Batman Love Letter
D&D Dungeon Mayhem

Those two are card games but they're quick to learn, quick to play, and have solid depth.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
King of Tokyo would be my top pick. Super easy to understand and it is giant monsters fighting, who doesn't love that? There are expansions that add some more depth if you want it but as a standalone product it is really good and easy to get into.

Ticket to Ride is another really fun one that is a bit bigger on strategy. Everyone has their own objective that only they know about and they you can spend time either trying to screw over others or focus on your own routes.

Othello. This is more in the vein of chess/checkers, where you are trying to end up with most of the board having your color. Super super easy to learn (like, even easier than checkers) but also way more fun.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Look into Shadows In the Forest. Such a great game for kids. A little bit spoopy, but perfect for kids.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
My so is 9 and these are some of the games we play.

There's a kids version of Ticket to Ride that's pretty fun, but the regular version isn't to hard to pickup.

My son loves Zombie Dice.

Also, this is a bit of an older game, but it's an old Ravensburger game called Enchanted Forest. Its really easy to pickup and play and my son loves it.

He's also getting into Chess, which I think is awesome.

ProbablyRobbie

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ghost Fightin Treasure Hunters. I can't recommend this game enough. Super easy and fun for adults too. You basically roll dice and fight ghosts. Its great because you play as a team so no one can get mad because they win or someone else loses or someone is ganging up on them. Our kids tend to argue/fight when playing games together, shocking I know. I recommend this game to everyone looking for a fun family game.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
I'd say Quacks of Quedlinburg or Barenpark would be excellent candidates. You also cannot go wrong with Ticket To Ride, get on that ASAP.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ice Cool is a fun dexterity game for that age. Just flicking penguins down a school hall, trying to collect fish and not get caught (knocked into) by the hall monitor penguin.

Jesiatha

Oct 27, 2017
My 10yo daughter loves Ticket to Ride. She also loves The Great Dalmuti and Lost Cities, which are card games, but close enough in my mind.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
Since we're recommending things that aren't board games, ours love Wing It (a card game of story telling and puzzle solving where you have to get out of tricky situations with bizarre items) and Mexican Train (a great family domino game).

More traditional board games I'd recommend include Spinderella, a 3D game where you have to navigate past a magnetic spider while getting the other players trapped, and Robo Rally, a classic of programming and robot arena combat. I loved the original, but hear the remake is also good. And Ticket to Ride, obviously.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
My so is 9 and these are some of the games we play.

There's a kids version of Ticket to Ride that's pretty fun, but the regular version isn't to hard to pickup.

I have also gifted my nieces First Journey a while back, but I'm not sure it worked for them; unlike other games, I've not really heard back that they've taken to it. That may just be something that hasn't come up in chats.

One thing I've thought about is whether - and I guess I won't know this until I've seen the actual game first-hand - it's possible to play First Journey with 'proper' TTR rules with scoring. I *think* the only thing preventing it from being doable is the distance scores not being on the ticket cards, in which case there might be a solution to that (I believe 'proper' TTR scores based on the shortest possible distance between the two stations in question?)

Edit: Actually, as a broader point, one thing that might help you out is finding a board game cafe or similar place that's near you and spend an afternoon or evening there as a family trying out some of our suggestions; the one in my area has an incredible stock, it's a great place to try-before-you-buy.

Last edited:

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I have also gifted my nieces First Journey a while back, but I'm not sure it worked for them; unlike other games, I've not really heard back that they've taken to it. That may just be something that hasn't come up in chats.

One thing I've thought about is whether - and I guess I won't know this until I've seen the actual game first-hand - it's possible to play First Journey with 'proper' TTR rules with scoring. I *think* the only thing preventing it from being doable is the distance scores not being on the ticket cards, in which case there might be a solution to that (I believe 'proper' TTR scores based on the shortest possible distance between the two stations in question?)

Edit: Actually, as a broader point, one thing that might help you out is finding a board game cafe or similar place that's near you and spend an afternoon or evening there as a family trying out some of our suggestions; the one in my area has an incredible stock, it's a great place to try-before-you-buy.

Sadly, I don't live with my son, but I'm going to be with him at Christmas.

We don't have a board game cafe where I'll be, so that's a bummer.

Dec 31, 2017
The GOAT
toys-and-games-board-games-tomy-screwball-scramble.jpg

Not competitive, but your daughter will thank you.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
The GOAT
toys-and-games-board-games-tomy-screwball-scramble.jpg

Not competitive, but your daughter will thank you.
I remember a spate of several of these marble obstacle course games; Screwball Scramble is of course the king, but there was a period of a few years when tons came out; Rock 'n' roll maze, Aargh and Yeeargh, Kong Man... I'd love to see a resurgence, there's something pleasingly tactile about that sort of mechanical challenge.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
I used to run a board game after school program and I can tell you after 6, kids can play almost anything. Crowd pleasers like ticket to ride, carcassonne, and king of Tokyo are safe bets. Depending on the kid they might enjoy Catan, Pandemic, Agricola, Acquire, or Betrayal at House on the Hill. It really depends lots of good recommendations oin this thread, but some here are also for younger children (don't get the kids version of any board game!). The better question is, how many people will be playing with them and what kind of people will they be?

Dec 31, 2017
I remember a spate of several of these marble obstacle course games; Screwball Scramble is of course the king, but there was a period of a few years when tons came out; Rock 'n' roll maze, Aargh and Yeeargh, Kong Man... I'd love to see a resurgence, there's something pleasingly tactile about that sort of mechanical challenge.
I ran into a few of these searching for a picture.

I guess Kongman was the vertical version of Screwball Scramble. Never played it, but it came in both Mario and Sonic variants. No Donkey Kong though.

No version is currently available on Amazon that I could find.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
My Little Scythe is a great introduction to more advanced mechanics that are used in Scythe and other modern board games.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I ran into a few of these searching for a picture.

I guess Kongman was the vertical version of Screwball Scramble. Never played it, but it came in both Mario and Sonic variants. No Donkey Kong though.

No version is currently available on Amazon that I could find.

I definitely owned Kongman first, having fallen in love with it when seeing it advertised. I *think*, therefore, it predates Screwball Scramble, but I can't be completely sure.

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
If card games count.
Cockroach Poker.
Super simple bluffing card game that has a higher end strategy. The goal is to make one player get the bluff wrong 4 times on the same type of bug. Only 1 loser and the game starts over. I don't play the Royal version, just because I think it over complicates a fun and simple game.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Carcassonne is a classic. Kingdomino, Sushi Go, and the Forbidden... games are also lovely.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
Doodle dice is a fun one. It's like Yahtzee bit the dice have various shapes instead of numbers and you're trying to roll the right dice to make pictures That are depicted on cards you are trying to win.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
My oldest daughter is 7 and I just started her on more complex "hobby" games over the past week.

First one? Dragonwood. It's amazing and simple! It has deck building, card capturing, dice rolling, point counting, and just the right amount of strategy. After one round, she got it and wanted to play again straight away. It's also only 20 bucks, comes in a nice compact box, and features beautiful artwork. We've played it at least 8 times now and she's beaten me twice. :)

I picked up Forbidden Island yesterday and am pumped to bust that out with her as well. It will be her second co-op game. The first one was a super simple one more for a five or six year old called Hoot Owl Hoot. Sounds like your kids would be past that if they've played Monopoly.

So yeah, Dragonwood! You have to "buy" dice rolls by collecting either straights, cards of the same number, or cards of the same colour. Each card on the board has 3 different capture costs that you try to match or surpass with your dice rolls.

Strike = sequential numbers
Stomp = same numbers
Scream = same colours

There are enhancements and events that slightly change the game as well, but you never feel angry with the person you're playing against. It's just a really fun adventure where you're trying to capture the most creatures and the most victory points (creatures are all worth different values). The game ends when both dragons in the Dragonwood deck have been captured, or you've gone through your draw deck twice.

I love it and it will forever hold a special place in my heart for how it got my daughter engaged by its mechanics.

Gonna pick up the spinoff, Dragonrealm, for my daughter's bday in July.

Gamewright is the name of the company who made it, and they're also the ones who made Forbidden Island. Their entire catalogue actually looks really good and family friendly.

Finally, Forbidden Island was designed by the same guy who designed Pandemic. I've seen it described as Pandemic for kids and parents. Can't wait to give it a go. Will maybe post pics later, or you can look them up yourself. :)