• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are the games from yesteryear that you loved and adored, but for practical reasons you will not ever really be able to play again? Or at least you probably won't be able to play them again. You don't have to name games that are completely extinct and 100% inaccessible, but at least ones that would be exceedingly difficult and unlikely to find (I'm thinking of old arcade titles that never got ported to home platforms or emulators).

"Why would I never be able to play a particular game ever again?" Types of inaccessible games might include:
  • an MMO or online-only game where the servers have been permanently shut down
  • Extinct games from online BBS systems of the early 90's
  • an iOS/Android game that no longer runs on recent versions of the operating system
  • a rare arcade game that is not emulated
  • a Shockwave/Flash browser game that is no longer available on the web or backed up anywhere
  • a rare arcade game with a unique control setup that cannot be faithfully replicated at home or on an emulator
  • at this point, sadly a whole lot of light-gun games
  • some kind of location-based videogame experience, like the BattleTech Centers of the early 1990's
Here are my picks, just to get your brains rolling:

RqYpUu42LPyuj4e7zrbKG6-320-80.jpg

House of the Dead 1 - the Saturn port is awful and really not the same game as the arcade. Arcade cabinets are increasingly hard to find in functioning order, at least in my neck of the woods. Supposedly some sort of remake/remaster is in the works, but I'm skeptical that it will turn out properly. The motion controllers of today don't really do a great job taking the place of a proper lightgun.

1063140001.jpg

Lucky & Wild - old arcade game where one player drives a car and the other player blasts enemies with dual lightguns. Impossible to find in modern day arcades, difficult to replicate with an emulator.

1.jpg
tap_tap_gaga_2.png

Lady Gaga Revenge - released just in the wake of her groundbreaking first (and still best) album, this game introduced me to the music of Lady Gaga. It's a fairly straightforward "Tap the notes as they come down the track" rhythm game, but I had a shit-ton of fun with it and for a low-price they included pretty much every song on the album. Tapulous, the developer of this and the Tap Tap Revenge games went bankrupt and issued a final software update that forced the game to do an online-check, deliberately borking every one of their titles. So if I wanted to play this, I would not only have to find an old iOS device running an outdated 32-bit version of iOS, but I would somehow have to download an old version of the game that didn't require a ping from the Tapulous servers.

hqdefault.jpg

Silent Scope - Not truly a light gun game, this was a sniper game where you shot dudes with a plastic gun, but when you looked down the scope of the gun there was actually an LCD monitor inside that magified and zoomed in on the spot you were pointing at onscreen. This is a pretty textbook case of a game that can't be replicated at home, so if you can't find it in an arcade then you're never going to be able to play it (at least not the right way). It was actually ported to PS2 and other consoles, but without the gun and scope it's kinda crappy.

8qfoi7e82ky11.jpg

Top Skater - in the same vein as Silent Scope, this is an arcade title that you simply can't bring home. It had a tilting skateboard that you can stand on to control your character.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Chromehounds and Marvel Superheroes MMO are the two that immediately come to mind. CH was such a cool take on a mech game and I met friends back in '06 in that that I still hang out with today.

Marvel had it's share of problems, not the least of which was how much the console version fucked with things, but damn did I have a blast playing as some of the characters in it. Such a good Action rpg, it might actually be the most fun I ever had just leveling characters in one. I never even touched the end game raids.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
OG Halo 2 Multiplayer. Just watching videos and seeing someone start up the search for a match sends shivers down my spine. I don't think I'll ever get to experience that again.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably Tech Romancer for Dreamcast. I had a blast with it and it probably won't see the light of day again...though I did read something about Tech Romancer on this forum recently.

Deleted member 13015

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am for sure the only person who talks about it here, but The Tomorrow Children for PS4. An online community building game that was shut down in 2017.

tumblr_na9qr0Eafd1rbijdfo7_r1_500.gifv

No possible way of playing it.... Ever again. A game I loved so much... Poof.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Snoopy Flying Ace multiplayer.

I bought it kind of as a joke because I was bored one night, but it was actually a super fun little arcade dogfighting (heh) game.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
Mostly all rhythm games that I fucking love and play it like every day in Japan but are "internet region locked" so I can't play it in my country... like Maimai :(

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
F355 Challenge on the Dreamcast (or indeed arcade). My first proper racing sim, and it was pretty serious sim back then and I'd be curious but I think it would hold up fairly well today. I had a shitty steering wheel that sat on my lap and moved around but it was damn cool nevertheless.

Oct 25, 2017
DayZ, early period.

There was a period of time you could only run it via a custom launcher, after installing Arma 2 and its Arrowhead expansion.

DayZ Full/Retail itself was not that bad, but it did subsume that 'other' version - and I haven't gone to look whether it's still being supported.

Between the hackers killing every match even then and eventually the Battle Royale saturation, I don't hold out hope.

OP
OP
Border

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah yeah, I misunderstood the OP (i.e. didn't fully read the OP).

In that case (unless I'm mistaken), I think the old Simpsons arcade would make for a better example.
I don't really mind if people list games that don't completely and totally apply. Part of the reason for this thread is that I thought it would be nice if people could post games they thought they couldn't play anymore, and someone more knowledgeable and well-versed could correct them and say "Actually you can play it with this emulator" or something like that. Like maybe there's a way I could download a working version of Lady Gaga Revenge onto my old iPhone 4 or something, and someone might be nice enough to let me know :)

Simpsons Arcade can be emulated, for instance......it's been de-listed on 360/Playstation3, but I think you can still download the game if you bought it originally. There was a PC port of it as well, though you would probably need a DOS emulator to run it.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Mushroom wars for ps3. Can still play against computer but I loved online vs mode.

local arcade had sunset riders and took all of allowance for a long time. Think it might have came out on genesis or snes (or both) so it probably wouldn't be impossible to play again but not like I experienced it.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's some REALLY old shockwave flash game I remember where you played as Charlie Brown trying to get a homerun from Snoopy that doesn't seem to be backed up anywhere. And with flash going down this year, there's no more chances for me to play it.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Banned
May 25, 2018
DayZ, early period.

There was a period of time you could only run it via a custom launcher, after installing Arma 2 and its Arrowhead expansion.

DayZ Full/Retail itself was not that bad, but it did subsume that 'other' version - and I haven't gone to look whether it's still being supported.

Between the hackers killing every match even then and eventually the Battle Royale saturation, I don't hold out hope.
There was something magical about the original mod. It was a clunky mess, but it was an unexplored genre. It was amazing while it lasted.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
MAG

It was too ahead of its time, and we weren't worthy.

SVER for life (yes they were the most OP)

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Banned
May 25, 2018
There's some REALLY old shockwave flash game I remember where you played as Charlie Brown trying to get a homerun from Snoopy that doesn't seem to be backed up anywhere. And with flash going down this year, there's no more chances for me to play it.
Have you tried the internet archive for the original site it was on?

OP
OP
Border

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being a 6-year-old boy playing this with your father in a mall.

aa2ba5458e1042464b3fdca37f37705d.jpg
Oh man, Afterburner Deluxe was so incredible. It was especially exciting at the time since we were all playing in the wake of iconic jet-fighter movies like Top Gun, Iron Eagle, and Flight of the Intruder.

I'm surprised that motion-focused arcade games have died off even in places like Dave & Buster's, where everything seems to be focused around novel gimmicks. I presume the amount of maintenance and upkeep that the hydraulics require is simply too much for modern day arcades.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
House of the Dead is a really good one to throw out there. There are plenty of Sega arcade games that have really limited home releases, if they even had that. Or just arcade games in general, really, especially if they have unique cabinets and input devices which can't really be replicated.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I am for sure the only person who talks about it here, but The Tomorrow Children for PS4. An online community building game that was shut down in 2017.

Came to post this and also Paragon.
Even have a physical copy of Paragon and it's useless.

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Radical Heights. I know it was unfinished, I know it seemed like a cash grab, and when it dropped I checked it out as a joke.

I played that game almost every day of its lifespan and streamed it constantly with one of my best friends.

I will never get to play that game again, but at least I have the memories recorded.

Oct 27, 2017
International Superstar Soccer – It was a unique mix of on-field arcade action coupled with off-field simulation. (Simulation in the sense it allowed for nuanced changes to be made to the team formation, etc.)

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
Light gun games. It's unbelievable that we're in 2020 and still haven't found the way to replicate the light gun game experience from CRT era. I know there are some prototypes being done but it's still not ready for the market yet.

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
The Tomorrow Children.

It was a strange game with wonderful art direction and music, but it just didn't take off. Once it went F2P the writing was on the wall. Sony pulled the plug on 11/1/2017... and I'll sadly never get to experience it again.
Great memories, though.

edit:
Just saw this post-

*salute* 😢

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Banned
May 25, 2018
Radical Heights. I know it was unfinished, I know it seemed like a cash grab, and when it dropped I checked it out as a joke.

I played that game almost every day of its lifespan and streamed it constantly with one of my best friends.

I will never get to play that game again, but at least I have the memories recorded.
Even though CliffyB isn't the best person I was still really sad when his studio shutdown and he left the industry.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I dont know how hard it is or not to get a re-release of everything or nothing

OP
OP
Border

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mostly all rhythm games that I fucking love and play it like every day in Japan but are "internet region locked" so I can't play it in my country... like Maimai :(
What country are you in?

If you are in the USA I would recommend looking up Tokyo Attack. They are a company that furnishes a huge assortment of Japan-exclusive arcade games for special events like gaming or comic conventions. It would probably be too expensive to hire them for a party, but they definitely pop up at cons around the USA. You can always go those cons to play the arcade games they own. They have a ton of rhythm games, including Maimai Finale:

I was actually thinking about listing Jubeat as one of my favorite games that I will never play again, but since Tokyo Attack regularly brings all their games to Atlanta DragonCon, I know I will at least get to play it once a year.

Tokyo Attack is the only reason I ever got to play Gunslinger Stratos, but I don't think they have it anymore.....so maybe I should add it to the list :(

They actually have a working cabinet of Silent Scope Bone Eater, which is a completely different game from the Silent Scope I listed in the OP, but still not a bad substitute. Bone Eater is an incredibly anime-esque take on the game with jetpacks and hovertrains and mechs, but still enjoyable.

Last edited:

smurfx

Oct 25, 2017
rtcw and enemy territory. can't see myself install them even though i have the disk for rtcw.

Jun 23, 2019
Oh man, Afterburner Deluxe was so incredible. It was especially exciting at the time since we were all playing in the wake of iconic jet-fighter movies like Top Gun, Iron Eagle, and Flight of the Intruder.

I'm surprised that motion-focused arcade games have died off even in places like Dave & Buster's, where everything seems to be focused around novel gimmicks. I presume the amount of maintenance and upkeep that the hydraulics require is simply too much for modern day arcades.

I actually got a chance to play an updated Afterburner cabinet in Tokyo back in 2010-11. Game is still super amazing.

OP
OP
Border

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Came to post this and also Paragon.
Even have a physical copy of Paragon and it's useless.

Epic has so much god-damned Fortnite money now. I would love it if they could revive Paragon and Radical Heights on the Epic Game Store, even if it's just for the few thousand people that really loved those games. I imagine that they might not be crazy about backing something like Radical Heights that would be competing with Fortnite, but there's already a good half-dozen battle royale games on EGS so what's the difference really?

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
F-Zero AX

They had one of these at the Monaco Lanes for years and then, one day... *weeps*

iu
This one right here. As a kid, I always wanted to play this machine and I remember being estatic when I finally found it by pure chance during a family vacation to Vegas at Circus Circus. I only got to play it twice and it was nowhere to be found when we went back a few years later.

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
1 vs 100 on Xbox Live. My brother and some friends would gather round every time it went live and join in as a party. The live commentary just made it so engaging. Sad that nobody has tried that formula since

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"Cat and Mouse" in Project Gotham Racing 2 on Xbox Live. This was a unsupported mode of team play where two teams in super cars each had to protect their "mouse" in a very slow car. First mouse to cross the finish won. It we played on the super long Nurburgring track so it was a pretty long race. It involved a lot of car checking and defensive driving as you had to decide if you wanted to attack the other team or defend your own.

I really enjoyed playing as the mouse because I got pretty good at dodging the opponent cars.

Playing it again seems pretty unlikely given that there hasn't been a PGR game in awhile, it'd require specific arrangement or existence as an actual supported mode to work in a different game, and I don't really play online racing games.

BanditoMac

Dec 13, 2017
Never hear this FROM game. Probably because it's pretty niche but I think about it often. Wish I had my OG xbox and copy

XHt5ENX.jpg

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Gunblade N.Y.

18727_0.jpg

The guns feedback was the greatest thing in the arcade. An emulator could never recreate the experience.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Ragnarok Online is a mindless grindfest by today's standards, but it was the first time I ever experienced a game with an online community. Irreplaceable memories.

I still listen to the music. I've checked out private servers. It just isn't the same. The game aged, and poorly. But I'll always remember the fun I had exploring that world with my friends.