• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
is the final boss/ tournament punishing to the player? I read a Waypoint article (https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/art...boss-prevents-you-from-beating-the-effin-game) discussing general frustration, considering the poorly communicated ball elevation and random wind elements. I'll still finish it (i'm probably half way through), but just curious if anyone shares the thoughts in the article.
I looked at it this way, since you find out soon enough that the condition to win the last course is getting
par (yes you can win the course with a tie)

At least you know what you're aiming for, and if you mess up, you can just reset and try again.

The last course can get frustrating as there is a spike in difficulty as Patrick points out, at least I would consider it one as well, but the game does give you sufficient tools to negate the challenges of the last course. It wasn't easy for me though, think it took some where in the ballpark of 10-15 attempts. I would say if the game is at fault, it's for letting the player mostly get away with not using some of the mechanics that are crucial for the last course for most of the game.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
You know what? I really liked the game but that's a fair summary. The script is indeed the best part, but the golf is weak, the tasks the game sets you are mechanically basic and the courses themselves aren't great designs and can indeed be annoying with overly narrow fairways designed to cover for the fact that it's nearly impossible to mishit a shot. Add the bugs and I can certainly see someone giving it a 5.
Same here, I love the game a lot, but by about the time I hit the old people golf course I started to feel like the game was a bit too long. I think I'm finally at the last course but I haven't played it in a long time, but I intend to get back to it now I beat Mario.

The mechanics don't really seem to evolve too much, most new clubs aren't hugely different, and I don't find the leveling up system to be very meaningful either (I can hit a little further, but that's about it). One mechanic I miss from Mario Golf is pressing A+B or B+A really quick on you last meter hit in order to make the ball spin backwards or roll forward a larger amount, it was a little risky to pull off, but it gave you great control over the ball. I know you can choose where you hit the ball in this game, but I only ever seem to need that to avoid trees.

Even still I would absolutely love a sequel to this game. Flesh out the mechanics, maybe do some more fun stuff with the clubs, make the curves on the green like most golf games do it so you can see it, not just an arrow, and maybe tighten the game up a bit length-wise (or at least make more of the stuff optional instead of forcing you to do so much stuff before progressing).

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Had my first try at Blue Dunes. Match play. Doesn't seem that hard? The flat greens definitely reward hitting the greens.

Using Pro Woods and the enhanced Wellworn Irons.

Ab6G0T3.jpg

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Okay
..full course is harder. Harder greens.

But holy shit...just sank a hole in on hole 4....a Par 4. Bounced off the turtle and wrnt straight in.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Had my first try at Blue Dunes. Match play. Doesn't seem that hard? The flat greens definitely reward hitting the greens.

Using Pro Woods and the enhanced Wellworn Irons.

Ab6G0T3.jpg
The match with Junior I beat on my second try, but the actual championship is a nightmare. I've won every single one the first try but my first go at this one I ended up with 12, and now I can only consistently do like 3 birdies and everything else is a part or double/triple bogey, I suck :(

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
For anyone having trouble with the last tournament, I recommend making ample use of the Tee Up ability. Being able to recover from deep rough means you can be a lot more aggressive in how you approach holes.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
This was such a great game. Beat it at 20 hours. Now I just hope we get some DLC or even a full fledged sequel at some point.

Oct 25, 2017
I really want to see those patch notes (or at least a fan-compiled changelog) before buying!

Has anyone here noticed any differences post-patch?

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
I beat this a little while ago and want to use the patch as an excuse to replay, but I never ran into any memorable bugs.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
This game's not bad once you mute the horrible music. Really easy for a Mario Golf vet with the hazards being really easy to hit out of and the holes must be like 3 feet wide. But a decent substitute until we get another RPG Mario Golf (haha that will never happen)

I still have no idea what Strike and Ability do. I've looked it up on several forums but the people I could find answering this question seemed to have no idea what they were talking about. They said Purity was just how off your shot will be if you mistime your second A button press, when it's clearly describing the natural curvature of your shot with perfect timing. It even mentions draw and fade. Strike and Ability, though, talking about "% accuracy" and "degree control"? That's really vague. I'm thinking maybe Strike makes the timing for perfect shots on the second A button press more forgiving, and maybe Ability increases the effect of the X button aiming on the ball, whatever it's called?

Last edited:

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I beat this a little while ago and want to use the patch as an excuse to replay, but I never ran into any memorable bugs.
Only bugs I ran into was getting stuck in Galf (ball went way out of bounds and couldn't get to the start menu like the OP mentions, restarting fixed it), and before one of the tournaments the character got out of bed and got stuck and couldn't move (again had to restart which fixed it).

But it'll be nice to know I can finish the last stretch of the game with less likelyhood of something bad happening.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Rough synopsis:
"Plenty to like, particularly the script, but it feels overlong + padded out and it's charms are obscured by busywork, repetition and irritation. Often it's not obvious what to do next and ends up trial and error. Courses seem designed to annoy rather than enthral"

Yeah, I can see that. I still don't agree, but I can definitely understand how someone would get to that opinion

is the final boss/ tournament punishing to the player? I read a Waypoint article (https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/art...boss-prevents-you-from-beating-the-effin-game) discussing general frustration, considering the poorly communicated ball elevation and random wind elements. I'll still finish it (i'm probably half way through), but just curious if anyone shares the thoughts in the article.

There is a difficulty spike in the last tournament for sure, but I don't think there is anything poorly communicated. It's just harder

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Save for Zelda this is my favourite game on the Switch. So fun, so much flavour, just an absolute joy for the entirety of its ~20 hour run. Excited to play it all over again in a year or so when there are patches. Looking forward to a sequel or dlc or really just whatever project Sidebar works on next.

dyne

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
The patch did nothing for Hallowed Hills except for maybe the wrong water decal surrounding a green. I tried ten more times. Every time I play I screw something else up. It's infuriating. I must have tried this course hundreds of times now.

Dunban

Oct 28, 2017
I'm enjoying it (the writing is hilarious, watching the roast scene on the train had me looking like an idiot trying to suppress my laughter) but damn, the glitchiness is real.

DOTd4VHUQAAXl_j.jpg:large

Oct 25, 2017
So it's still glitchy even post-patch?

That's quite a shame, but there are more than enough other games to keep me busy until patch two.

I feel for the devs, I'm sure QA is a nightmare for such a small crew!

Maiden Voyage

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I just read the article by Patrick. He is exactly where I left off and exactly why I left off. I am so conflicted on the game. It does so many things absolutely right that it's so disappointing that the bugs and the last tournament leave such a bad aftertaste. It's been weeks since I last launched the game. I would love to beat it, but I don't even know if I care to anymore.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly didn't expect many bugs outside of Galf freezing, but the last course was so overwhelmingly difficult that I abandoned the game... Guess I'll give it one more try now that it got patched.

Edit: Never mind guys, I did it!
DOaRouZUIAIJssc

The patch didn't change anything outside of bugs it seems, but I got serious and tweaked my stats and changed my gear and it sure did the trick. This was my setup for anyone else having trouble:
DOaRuh3VQAABLqF

DOaR0osUIAIQ3K4

(the wellworn club is the modified one).

But yeah I adored this game. I absolutely hated the last championship for weeks but ironically, after I finally beat it I ended up wishing the difficulty balance was more like that through the entire game. It was the only course where I felt I actually earned my victory and it was pretty damn satisfying.

Also, I was dumb and never realized there were more skills than just focus mode. Tee up made the difference in the last hole and almost got an eagle thanks to it.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Just beat this game, it's pretty good.
Now I'm doing some side stuff'

I need the Galf Seasons Cartridge, I've read that it's in the Blacksmith house in Oak Manor, but the door is locked.
Where do I find the key?

EDIT: Found it! Under the gravestone right below the blacksmith house.

Last edited:

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Wait people are having trouble with the last tournament? How?

I didn't even know there were buffs (tee up, focus, power, etc) you could put on your swing until I had already beat the game and someone mentioned it in the thread at the other place. The golf portion of this game is ridiculously easy. The game is good and fun but the only part that gave me difficulty was the putting challenge on the last world with the severe greens. Other than that, first or second try for pretty much everything.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
First try at the last tourney. Thought it was going to go bad after the first hole but I really brought it back!

qaxZlyG.jpg

Now I just need to finish the cache sidequest I think.

tsab

Nov 3, 2017
How much RPG is in this game? It's not favorite genre, the only one I've ever finished is Pokemon R/B.

Yeah i am not a super RPG guy but I actually love'd it. It has the right amount of RPG for me, and just like you I have only finished Pkmn R/B and Emerald.
I'd say it's 50/50 (it's been a month since i touched it) or maybe 60-40 in favour of RPG quests. IMHO is less RPG than Pokemon you'd be ok
You can take a break from the RPG part play Golf courses almost whenever you want though

TheLastYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah i am not a super RPG guy but I actually love'd it. It has the right amount of RPG for me, and just like you I have only finished Pkmn R/B and Emerald.
I'd say it's 50/50 (it's been a month since i touched it) or maybe 60-40 in favour of RPG quests. IMHO is less RPG than Pokemon you'd be ok
You can take a break from the RPG part play Golf courses almost whenever you want though

ah ok, that sounds like it would be right up my alley then, thanks!

TheLastYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
by the way... quick follow-up but how grindy do the rpg elements get? That's really the main reason I get turned off. Is the combat turn-based?

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
by the way... quick follow-up but how grindy do the rpg elements get? That's really the main reason I get turned off. Is the combat turn-based?
I guess technically it's turn based because there is no combat and it's golf.

Wait people are having trouble with the last tournament? How?

I didn't even know there were buffs (tee up, focus, power, etc) you could put on your swing until I had already beat the game and someone mentioned it in the thread at the other place. The golf portion of this game is ridiculously easy. The game is good and fun but the only part that gave me difficulty was the putting challenge on the last world with the severe greens. Other than that, first or second try for pretty much everything.

I think I won by like 7 strokes. It was a piece of cake for me.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

The game is an RPG in the sense that there's an overworld that directs you to different maps, there's NPCs to talk to and get side quests from and there's a level up system with very simple stat allocation, but that's it. Think of it like an adventure game where instead of solving puzzles by clicking on stuff, you do it with golf mechanics.

You also play golf, of course. But there's no grinding, turn based combat or anything like that.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA

So I already beat this game a while ago including the final championship, but seeing this image made me realize I handled leveling up completely differently.

When I increased my power, I saw all of the other stats change. but if I added directly to those other stats too, to keep them in the middle - isn't that what you're supposed to do?

It's not super intuitive to me whether "+50% accuracy" and "+18 degree control" and "+250RPM" is a good thing...

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda handled it like you too but when I got stuck in the final championship I tried different builds like that one to see if that would help. I'm not completely sure what purity is, I think it's how much stuff like wind affects your shots? Accuracy is definitely good to have it as high as possible though, it determines how precise you have to be when hitting the ball, so the higher it is, the less strict it is.

Anyway I nailed the putting challenge right after I posted the last screenshot and with that I finished the game 100%. Had a great time, I'll definitely keep an eye on whatever Sidebar Games decides to make next.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
This game seems cute and different but since EDGE is my favorite review outlet, I'm concerned by the score they gave.
Here's the verdict:

"There's plenty to like here - the script almost justifies a playthrough by itself - but it's a little overlong, a little padded out, it's obvious charms soon obscured by busywork, repetition and irritation"

How true is it?