• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
Ea5uI4kXsAMCQeZ

App Store Link ($2.99)
Android Link ($2.99)
Steam Link (Out 6/29)

Last edited:

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
MEGATON!

How the bloomin' heck did this launch without a single thing mentioned about it beforehand... anywhere?!

Last edited:
OP
OP
transience

transience

Oct 27, 2017
okay I played a couple hundred holes. here's a quick mini-review

• Basically Desert Golfing, but with less friction on the ground. The ball can really roll.
  • The game can scroll now, meaning you don't ever really hit it off the level and have to start over. I've hit a shot and had it hilariously roll down 3-4 hills which has led to me going past the next hole.I haven't tried to go way past the hole but it seems like you could just skip all the holes and smash it endlessly.
  • Lots of interesting terrain as compared to the original, such as the picture above.
  • Still super duper fun for some unknown reason.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I thought the OT subtitle was just being cheeky but it really is the sequel. Gotta wait for this to hit Android, been putting time serious time into DG on my commutes.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Woah, out of nowhere! Awesome. I hit 10,000 holes on the original Desert Golf and then called it. Thought it was a neat way to end it.

Gotta check this out.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome. Desert Golfing was the Game of the 2010s and Golf on Mars will be the Game of the 2020s. Hopefully I don't get stuck after thousands of holes like I did in desert golfing

OP
OP
transience

transience

Oct 27, 2017
There's a skip button now if you hit 25 strokes! I found out because I hit an impossible hole, which I asked the developer about and he said there definitely are some of those. (The hole here is up above and to the right)

Ea6ZdvDWsAIGErs

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Apparently there are an insane amount of holes this time. Like, it's beyond impossible to ever finish it. I wonder if it'll have a same empty wasteland that Desert Golfing had after a while.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
okay I played a couple hundred holes. here's a quick mini-review

• Basically Desert Golfing, but with less friction on the ground. The ball can really roll.
  • The game can scroll now, meaning you don't ever really hit it off the level and have to start over. I've hit a shot and had it hilariously roll down 3-4 hills which has led to me going past the next hole.I haven't tried to go way past the hole but it seems like you could just skip all the holes and smash it endlessly.
  • Lots of interesting terrain as compared to the original, such as the picture above.
  • Still super duper fun for some unknown reason.

Firstly, thank you for bringing this game to my attention, as there's absolutely nothing on the App Store frontage, or even in the separate games section about 'Golf on Mars'.

As someone who stopped at exactly hole number 7,000 in 'Desert Golfing', as I was playing it a little bit too much once upon a time, I was taken aback at just how quickly/smoothly the ball rolls on Mars.

Took a screenshot on my iPad to show how 'interesting' the environment changes fairly quickly, from the faint yellow haze in the background, a long fluffy cloud and a jagged rock that appears out of nowhere.

That scrapping kind of noise when you finish a hole, followed by the 'plink' sound to signify the next hole is permanently ingrained in my conscious, and am glad it is back ... 😊

vpYp7ON.png

Apparently there are an insane amount of holes this time. Like, it's beyond impossible to ever finish it. I wonder if it'll have a same empty wasteland that Desert Golfing had after a while.

If I remember correctly, wasn't there an article on Kotaku with regards to somebody being the first person to see 'the end' of Desert Golfing, which was the ocean or something?

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Firstly, thank you for bringing this game to my attention, as there's absolutely nothing on the App Store frontage, or even in the separate games section about 'Golf on Mars'.

As someone who stopped at exactly hole number 7,000 in 'Desert Golfing', as I was playing it a little bit too much once upon a time, I was taken aback at just how quickly/smoothly the ball rolls on Mars.

Took a screenshot on my iPad to show how 'interesting' the environment changes fairly quickly, from the faint yellow haze in the background, a long fluffy cloud and a jagged rock that appears out of nowhere.

That scrapping kind of noise when you finish a hole, followed by the 'plink' sound to signify the next hole is permanently ingrained in my conscious, and am glad it is back ... 😊

vpYp7ON.png

If I remember correctly, wasn't there an article on Kotaku with regards to somebody being the first person to see 'the end' of Desert Golfing, which was the ocean or something?
Yeah, I think it was just flat hole after flat hole for like 10 thousand holes or something, and then the ocean.

OP
OP
transience

transience

Oct 27, 2017

vpYp7ON.png

I hear you about the plink sound. It's very pavlovian.

I wasn't the first, but Waypoint ended up writing an article about my thread here that got me my forum tag.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
I hear you about the plink sound. It's very pavlovian.

I wasn't the first, but Waypoint ended up writing an article about my thread here that got me my forum tag.

That 'plink' sound is joyous, but it's not quite joyful as finding out that the person who I was casually talking to Arkestry about is YOU!

I feel oddly humbled, and it is lovely to bump in the chap who teed off upon another 15,000 more holes than I did, and saw the game through to the end ... 🌊

Going to be playing 'Golf on Mars' for a rather long time to come.

OP
OP
transience

transience

Oct 27, 2017
That 'plink' sound is joyous, but it's not quite joyful as finding out that the person who I was casually talking to Arkestry about is YOU!

I feel oddly humbled, and it is lovely to bump in the chap who teed off upon another 15,000 more holes than I did, and saw the game through to the end ... 🌊

Going to be playing 'Golf on Mars' for a rather long time to come.
I was stupid enough to beat it again, too. :) But that was after they patched it and cut the holes to 10,000. Once I saw this announced I immediately knew I needed to make the OT, and to make it just as minimalist as the game.

I'm having fun goofing around in this one a bit more than DG. I did this just now:

Ea-VQ-GXYAMRtb2

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I'll just go ahead and prep an updated tag for later

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Anyone else ran into what seems to be a gamebreaking bug at holes 389 and 390?

I had a huge green background that blocked view of the ball until it disappeared and then the ball was invisible or stuck until I skipped to hole 391.

OP
OP
transience

transience

Oct 27, 2017
interesting. I'm on 500 and didn't have any kind of bugs outside of impossible holes. the game seems to be randomized though so your 400 probably wasn't my 400.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Does the environmental color change super gradually so that you barely notice and suddenly you're like "when'd this shit turn blue??"

OP
OP
transience

transience

Oct 27, 2017
Yes to both. Weird moments feel like they are every few holes, I think.

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
Really enjoying this! I'm glad to know some holes are impossible. I had one that had a deep pit that I just couldn't solve. It sure seemed impossible. Wish I had screen shotted it now. It let me skip after 25 strokes or so.

I'm glad for the skip feature. I think the reason I stopped playing the first game is I reached some hole that was just too frustrating.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Why is no one talking about how you can put spin on the ball?????

It's literally a game changer.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How did I miss this? I easily have a thousand hours on the original, over multiple phones. Best mobile game ever.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
Desert golfing was so good, 15000 + holes and I still pick it up regularly. But somehow I completely missed this! I am so excited right now. GOTY 2020 🐐

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
When you see the next hole and are like "ah fuck!"

9784-E957-92-DB-4-B9-C-AA3-C-B31325241-B44.png

Also, it only took me about 250 holes to figure out that you can scroll the screen if you use two fingers to swipe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
transience

transience

Oct 27, 2017
whoa. and here I was, wondering what the hell "reverse spin" was in the options menu.

Deleted member 33571

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Picked this up the other day and i've been really enjoying it, up to hole 312 so far. Was there a web version or something of Desert Golfing? I swear i've played a bit of it but never had it on mobile. Still remember that thread a few years ago where someone got to the end which was wild

Spent nearly 300 shots on a very tricky hole that seemed possible but absurdly precise, but ended up using the skip button anyway....oh well

OP
OP
transience

transience

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't been playing a ton (by my standards anyway) thanks to Slay the Spire on mobile which is a total time sink. I'm on hole 1456 though.

Deleted member 33571

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
2724! It's been nice during certain periods of work downtime. I actually was maintaining a spreadsheet tracking my strokes per hole and graphing my overall average for a couple hundred holes lol...haven't kept up with it as much lately though.