• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have there been recent advances in DNA analysis technology? How is this just being done right now?
probably not but these websites matching your dna to other family members is a fairly recent thing. i can honestly believe nobody had thought of it before until the zodiac case made it a known tool to use.

JetSetSoul

Oct 28, 2017
I read I'll Be Gone in the Dark. Really incredible journey to work this stuff out. Highly recommended!

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Nearly 1 hour interview with investigator Paul Holes
watch
Crazy detail in here. The police chief that fired him for shoplifting (back in 79) was threatened by DeAngelo, and his daughter reported a prowler outside her window that flashed a flashlight in her eyes around the same time. It's one thing that made Holes think they had the right guy.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Against the wishes of the defense, a judge allowed the request to photograph the suspect naked to verify one way or another if he has a tiny penis.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I changed my mind on the privacy implications after reading exactly how they caught him. Pretty incredible.
I hope they can figure out who the Zodiac is using the same method, but wouldn't he be dead by now?

Deleted member 1378

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I changed my mind on the privacy implications after reading exactly how they caught him. Pretty incredible.
I hope they can figure out who the Zodiac is using the same method, but wouldn't he be dead by now?
Nah, he could easily be alive. He'd be in his late 70s or early 80s, but he could still be around.

numble

Oct 25, 2017
According to DeAngelo's nephew, he witnessed his younger sister get raped by two men when he was 9-10 years old.

DeAngelo also grew up in an abusive household where his father would assault his mother. After DeAngelo's parents were divorced, DeAngelo's father left and raised another family in South Korea. DeAngelo's father named his second set of children the same names as his first set of children.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/skbaer/the...d-two-men-rape?utm_term=.dc5pq1BRx#.era5ZWMQX

Decades before he killed at least 12 people and sexually assaulted 51 others in a prolific crime spree that terrorized the state of California, the suspected Golden State Killer watched two men rape his younger sister on an Air Force base in Germany, family members said.

Joseph James DeAngelo, 72, who was identified last month as the serial rapist and killer who terrorized California in the 1970s and 1980s, was playing with his sister Constance in an abandoned warehouse on the base when two airmen walked in and raped her in front of him, Jesse Ryland, one of Constance's sons, told BuzzFeed News this week.

DeAngelo was about 9 or 10 at the time. His sister was 7 years old.

"That's pretty crazy for a kid to see his sister be violated," said Ryland, 35, who learned about the incident from his mother just before she died from cancer last year. "Maybe that was the start of Joe going wacko."

The incident may have sparked a fantasy with rape for DeAngelo, a former police officer and mechanic who served in the US Navy during the Vietnam War, according to an expert who has examined serial killers' backgrounds for the FBI.

Ann Wolbert Burgess, a psychiatric nursing professor at Boston College who studied the personalities of 36 convicted serial killers in the late 1970s and early 1980s with FBI agents in the Behavioral Science Unit, said serial criminals commonly develop a preoccupation with their crime at an early age.

His sister's rape was just one notable incident in what was a tough childhood for DeAngelo, his nephew said.

DeAngelo and his three siblings grew up in an abusive household where his father physically assaulted his mother, Kathleen, said Ryland. She also abused at least one of the children.

"She would hit my mom all the time," Ryland said, adding that his mother would at times wear two pairs of pants to lessen the blow. "I'm pretty positive they were all abused like that."

Joseph DeAngelo Sr. served in the US Air Force and the family moved frequently because of his job. Ryland said that after one violent incident on a base in Germany, military police warned Joe Sr. he would be kicked out if he touched his wife again.

Ryland said when his uncle and his mother told their parents about what had happened in the military base warehouse, they were instructed to never discuss it.

Burgess said that might have been confusing for DeAngelo, and the conflict between his parents also could have affected his psychological state.

Joseph DeAngelo Sr. ended up in South Korea, where he retired and had another set of kids, who were given the same names as his first three children: Rebecca, Joseph Jr., and Constance, according to Jesse Ryland and Kenneth Ryland Sr.

After serving in the Navy, Joseph DeAngelo Jr. was a police officer for the Exeter Police Department from 1973 to 1976 and then for the Auburn Police Department, where he worked from 1976 to 1979 until he was fired for shoplifting a can of dog repellent and a hammer from a drugstore.

Kenneth Ryland Sr. said that when he asked DeAngelo why he stole those things, DeAngelo responded, "Because I could."

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Unrelated to the GSK case, but they found another killer using the same method:

Investigators use DNA, genealogy database to ID suspect in 1987 double homicide

More than 30 years after a young Canadian woman was raped and shot in the back of the head, a 55-year-old SeaTac man was arrested Thursday in connection with her death after DNA found at the crime scene was used to map the suspect's family tree, according to the Snohomish County Sheriff's Office.

DNA-coldcase-solve-W.jpg

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Man, I bet there are criminals who had thought they had gotten away with it that areare clinch their cheeks together right now.

Monorojo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unrelated to the GSK case, but they found another killer using the same method:

Investigators use DNA, genealogy database to ID suspect in 1987 double homicide

More than 30 years after a young Canadian woman was raped and shot in the back of the head, a 55-year-old SeaTac man was arrested Thursday in connection with her death after DNA found at the crime scene was used to map the suspect's family tree, according to the Snohomish County Sheriff's Office.

DNA-coldcase-solve-W.jpg

This is amazing and awesome. The more this happens the less likely actual crime happens right? We should get everyone's dna in a database and be able to pluck it in these murder cases.

A slippery slope I know but a man can dream

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is amazing and awesome. The more this happens the less likely actual crime happens right? We should get everyone's dna in a database and be able to pluck it in these murder cases.

A slippery slope I know but a man can dream
I think that is far beyond a slippery slope. That is a straight up nose dive into a dystopian hellscape.

itsgreen

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What are you hiding?

They have not found me guilty of any murder yet.

I think there is something though in taking DNA after someone passes away and use it for 1:1 matches. Haven't fully thought it out yet. But think that might solve cold cases and bring closure for victims and next of kin.

numble

Oct 25, 2017
DNA + genealogical website used to solve another cold case murder from 32 years ago:
https://edition.cnn.com/2018/06/22/us/cold-case-killing-1986/index.html

DNA evidence from a discarded restaurant napkin was used to identify a suspect in the slaying of a 12-year-old girl in 1986, police in Tacoma, Washington, said Friday.

Gary Hartman, 66, was arrested Wednesday and has been charged with murder in the first degree and rape in the first degree, Tacoma Police Chief Don Ramsdell said at a news conference about the cold case. Hartman will be arraigned on Monday.

Police developed a male DNA profile from crime scene evidence, but found no match in state and national databases. In 2016, police began working with a genetic genealogist.

"Genetic genealogy uses a DNA technology to identify subjects by matching the unknown profile to a family member," Ramsdell said. "Traditional genealogy is then used to build a family tree from publicly available websites."

Two brothers were identified as possible suspects and surveillance began, Ramsdell said. That included Detective Steve Reopelle following Gary Hartman into a restaurant when he met a co-worker for coffee, Ramsdell said.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So, have we gotten any details yet? Been a couple of months and I feel like we've heard nothing. Where has he been, what has done, for all these years?

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So, have we gotten any details yet? Been a couple of months and I feel like we've heard nothing. Where has he been, what has done, for all these years?

Supposedly he's still not talking, he's not a BTK-type talker unfortunately. Everything I've read so far points to him playing games and dragging this out, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't end up killing himself at some point, not unlike Israel Keyes.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, is any of this going to be used on the zodiac case or is that closed?
I believe there was no DNA recovered from the Zodiac. Id imagine Zodiac is another BTK type.

EARONS is far more fascinating. He is the Visalia Ransacker and a fair amount believe is also the Cordova Cat. It is an unprecedented amount of successful break ins. Blows my mind how lucky this guy got.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
www.kcra.com

Joseph DeAngelo would plead guilty for lifetime sentence, defense team says

The defense team of Joseph DeAngelo has verified that the accused murderer has offered to plead guilty to the charges against him if he could get a lifetime sentence.

Joseph DeAngelo would plead guilty for lifetime sentence, defense team says

SACRAMENTO, Calif. —

The defense team of Joseph DeAngelo has verified that the accused serial killer has offered to plead guilty to the charges against him if he could get a lifetime sentence.

DeAngelo, the suspected murderer and rapist known as the Golden State Killer and the East Area Rapist, is accused of killing at least 13 people, raping upward of 50 women and burglarizing dozens of homes in the 1970s and '80s.

He is slated to appear in Sacramento County court March 12.

The former police officer was arrested in Citrus Heights in 2018, thanks to DNA technology, after decades of eluding authorities. DNA submitted to a public database commonly used for genealogy was used to link DeAngelo to the cold cases.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Damn at that update!

I'm reading I'll Be Gone In The Dark right now; McNamara was a hero.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
He probably ain't got much time left anyway. He's still going to be shipped off to stand trial for the other murders (Central Valley and SoCal iirc) right?

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they take that deal, because 1) fuck the death penalty and 2) There has always been a lot of controversy over whether a couple of the crimes are correctly attributed to him and it would be nice to have some closure on that

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the LAT article about it, but no new info other than some victim quotes.
www.latimes.com

Golden State Killer suspect would plead guilty if death penalty is off the table, lawyers say

The statement from the public defenders representing DeAngelo says, 'He has offered to plead to the charges with a lifetime sentence.'

Phyllis Henneman, whose 1976 attack is considered the first documented rape in the East Area Rapist crime series, said she would be satisfied with a guilty plea and life sentence — if victims who had questions about their attacks could get answers.

"I am not so sure there is anything I would ask for myself," she said. "He probably not be truthful anyway."

She said her own desire is that DeAngelo would end up dealing with the dangers of life in the general prison population "and not housed away in solitary confinement."

She has the right idea.

This goes into more details.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Haha, I just picked up a copy from the library the other night. Not too far into it but I expecting things to get pretty grim.

Certainly the subject matter is very distressing. But a good chunk of the book (at least in the first half) focuses on McNamara's own childhood and development as a person obsessed with killers, such that it winds up being a poignant self-eulogy. It's painful reading Gillian Flynn's introduction as she makes peace with the notion that GSK's true identity may never be revealed.

Oct 25, 2017

Off topic:

He could be in his 80's but a good chance just based on age he would be dead by now.

There is some DNA evidence from the Zodiac, at the very least they have saliva samples from the stamps from some of the letters.

The DNA they did have was sent to a lab to try to get a profile to then do the same ancestry search as in this case. I believe that was in 2018 so it feels like that has taken too long without any updates. Problem with Zodiac is their is barely any physical evidence and none that can be 100% confirmed to be from the letter writer. Palm prints on letters that were opened and touched by many people, saliva on the back of stamps are more likely to be him but conceivable he got others to do it. They didn't have enough dna from stamps to previously make a match only to rule out against possible suspects. Then there there is a partial bloody finger print, but could have easily been from a first responder.

What they need is samples of saliva from stamps from different letters that match or a palm impression from two different letters that match. From everything that has been talked about over 50 years it doesn't seem like they have anywhere close to that. Mountains of circumstantial evidence and handwriting, which depending on the expert can be great or worthless. IMO it would be really odd if he didn't mask his handwriting which could explain inconsistencies between letters.

But yeah very unlikely he gets caught, EARONS they had a lot more DNA to make a profile out of, hope he rots in jail and the victims get some small comfort from it.