• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And the article did what exactly? The new task force came about following the DNA testing that finally linked the EAR cases with the ONS cases.

Your easy dismissal of the true heroes behind this case is telling.
Who's dismissing anyone other than you? Take that shit elsewhere. No one is arguing that this wasn't a huge undertaking involving hundreds of people.

Zatoichi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Who's dismissing anyone other than you? Take that shit elsewhere. No one is arguing that this wasn't a huge undertaking involving hundreds of people.

And yet my point was those who only spoke of Michelle with relation to the solving of the case.

I didn't say you in particular and I am downplaying her contribution with reference to the nonsense some spouted that her book is what did it.

Every little bit helps of course, it just seemed that some lost sight of the fact that her book played a miniscule part in the solving of this case.

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
just been listening to the reaction to this on My Favourite Murder podcast, god damn that guy was evil as fuck

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely cringe worthy some of the "Michelle we got him" "well done Michelle" type posts and sentiment seen since yesterday.

Absolutely spits in the face of the true heroes of this tale; the victims, their families, the survivors and Law enforcement.

So on one hand I do feel very weird about everyone praising her so much- clearly she did push interest in the case and that's absolutely not nothing, but with how people were talking about this I thought she'd narrowed down the suspect or pushed a new theory or something. It's legitimately hard for me to follow exactly what she contributed to him being caught, or what people want credited to her when discussing him being caught, since she didn't seem to actually be involved with that part of this?

That being said I definitely saw a family member of some of his victims tweeting at Patton Oswalt yesterday to thank him for what she did, so I don't think it's as simple as saying praising her spits in their faces (or at least not all of them see it that way). Even if that's just because she made people interested in the case and remember his victims without letting their deaths slip away into history, that's pretty valuable and should definitely be acknowledged. I'm not sure if that press conference was the right place for that, but still.

So I'm wondering- is there a good timeline of how the case was being treated before and after her writing that article (and later the book) anywhere, so we can more easily discuss her impact on the case without being dismissive of it?

Gaming_Groove

Apr 4, 2018
Where else would they have gotten it?
They caught BTK from the DNA of his daughter's pap smear. They had circumstantial evidence already from metadata on a file he mailed to police on a floppy that they used to secure a warrant for her DNA. The results showed that the daughter was related to BTK, which was enough for an arrest. Could be a similar situation.

EDIT: Beaten lol

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Cops were able to get an arrest warrant for BTK based on a familial DNA match with his daughter's pap smear that was processed by her university (which they got a warrant to test based on other evidence they already had).

I know they haven't said much, but from what I gather, this guy wasn't even on the radar until very recently. I guess we will find out eventually so I'm interested to hear what they did.

numble

Oct 25, 2017
Cops were able to get an arrest warrant for BTK based on a familial DNA match with his daughter's pap smear that was processed by her university (which they got a warrant to test based on other evidence they already had).

They caught BTK from the DNA of his daughter's pap smear. They had circumstantial evidence already from metadata on a file he mailed to police on a floppy that they used to secure a warrant for her DNA. The results showed that the daughter was related to BTK, which was enough for an arrest. Could be a similar situation.

In the BTK situation, he was on their radar and they got a warrant for the daughter's DNA to confirm it.

For DeAngelo, he was not on their radar, but they said they had DNA evidence that pointed down many avenues and led to DeAngelo.

ManaByte

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Isn't it pretty uncommon for police to acknowledge this sort of thing? I wouldn't let their official response bother you to much.

Basically yea. If they acknowledge it as a tip then she's eligible for the reward, which Patton Oswalt would probably get. That's why yesterday they specifically said her book wasn't a tip.

In the BTK situation, he was on their radar and they got a warrant for the daughter's DNA to confirm it.

For DeAngelo, he was not on their radar, but they said they had DNA evidence that pointed down many avenues and led to DeAngelo.

Heard yesterday they were watching him for a while recently, and got discarded DNA evidence from his residence (which means something in his trash). That was then used to confirm it was him.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
man that mugshot, i know he doesnt deserve any sympathy, but man, that fucking mugshot

numble

Oct 25, 2017
Basically yea. If they acknowledge it as a tip then she's eligible for the reward, which Patton Oswalt would probably get. That's why yesterday they specifically said her book wasn't a tip.

Heard yesterday they were watching him for a while recently, and got discarded DNA evidence from his residence (which means something in his trash). That was then used to confirm it was him.
They were watching him for a couple of days after some kind of DNA evidence narrowed it down to him. But they were clear he was not on the radar until 6 days ago. The discarded DNA was the confirmation that it was him.

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

Yes, both Gaming_Groove and I mentioned that. It was in response to a question about whether it was possible to obtain familial DNA from a source other than an arrest. I agree that the six day turnaround for DeAngelo suggests that the familial DNA was probably not from a warrant (if that is indeed what led the cops to him).

ManaByte

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
They were watching him for a couple of days after some kind of DNA evidence narrowed it down to him. But they were clear he was not on the radar until 6 days ago. The discarded DNA was the confirmation that it was him.

They also said when they arrested him it seemed like he had some kind of plan if that were to ever happen, but he was like "fuck it, I have a roast in the oven".

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

So I was reading the Wiki articles on other serial killers that had been linked here earlier, and maybe the way the Grim Sleeper was caught is more relevant? In that case they had a similar thing happen because his son committed a felony and so had his DNA registered, which then was indicated as being related to the Grim Sleeper. So something like that could have happened here if they didn't have anything pointing him to begin with, like they had in BTK's case.

This would be due to the same database that was talked about earlier, with the $2 million donation and all that.

Oct 25, 2017
Where else would they have gotten it?

I read somewhere that one of the daughters may have turned him in and given a dna sample. As far as I am aware, none of the daughters have been arrested for anything. That seems to be coming from a random reddit post. One is a physician, two others have masters degrees and whatnot. I just don't want them sullied when they are likely very innocent in this.

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I read somewhere that one of the daughters may have turned him in and given a dna sample. As far as I am aware, none of the daughters have been arrested for anything. That seems to be coming from a random reddit post. One is a physician, two others have masters degrees and whatnot. I just don't want them sullied when they are likely very innocent in this.

Reading this, it appears it was from something he discarded, but it's unclear what turned them to him as a suspect. A tip, maybe?

Sacramento Sheriff Scott Jones said detectives with "dogged determination" were able to get a sample of DNA from something DeAngelo discarded, though he wouldn't say what the item was. The genetic material was not a match, but there were enough similarities that investigators got a second sample, which proved conclusive.

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
This is eerie. Maybe he never really gave it up, or at least wanted to relive the feeling in his old age.

In 2001, he allegedly called a woman he'd attacked 24 years earlier, according to McNamara's book.

He whispered: "Remember when we played?"

Several of DeAngelo's neighbors said he displayed a temper that stood out in the quiet, affluent area.

"He would have outbursts on the driveway and yell and scream, when he was looking for his keys," Natalia Bedes-Correnti told The Daily Beast. "He hasn't thrown a tantrum in about a decade. I figured he mellowed out with age."

Eddie Verdon described DeAngelo as "nosy, curious about everybody's business." A few years ago, Verdon said he heard footsteps around the side of his house and dashed out to find DeAngelo running away from Verdon's side yard, taking off on a bicycle.

"He made sure I never seen him again. And if I did see him, it was because his garage was open."
https://www.thedailybeast.com/golde...rding-to-co-author-of-ill-be-gone-in-the-dark

lil jetski

Nov 1, 2017
Mod Edit: You can discuss the case without posting the address of a suspect

Last edited by a moderator:

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017

Ah, ok. I saw an arrest mentioned a few times, but there was a lot of speculation flying around yesterday.

Deleted member 16609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Harlem, NYC
Nonsense, the book is only out a few months ago.

A new task force was brought together a few years ago to tackle the case.

There was massive interest in the case for years and years, many documentaries on the case.

The families and survivors helped keep this in the public interest, in all truth Michelle was a bit of a Johnny come lately, provided no new information and has been found out the book had no direct impact on it being solved.

The acknowledgement is deserved to those who have spent decades dealing with this and trying to solve it.

As another pointed out, Bruce Harrington has done much, much more than a book ever did.
This. People are acting like the case went cold many moons ago. It has been active for a hot minute on all fronts as you put it. It is very disingenuous to the people who have been active in the case since day one.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why all this can't be simultaneously be true.
That the dogged determination of investigators (official and not), victims, victims family members, are all deserving of credit.

Recognizing one doesn't take away the terrific actions of another.

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nonsense, the book is only out a few months ago.

A new task force was brought together a few years ago to tackle the case.

There was massive interest in the case for years and years, many documentaries on the case.

The families and survivors helped keep this in the public interest, in all truth Michelle was a bit of a Johnny come lately, provided no new information and has been found out the book had no direct impact on it being solved.

The acknowledgement is deserved to those who have spent decades dealing with this and trying to solve it.

As another pointed out, Bruce Harrington has done much, much more than a book ever did.

McNamara became interested in the Golden State Killer case and wrote an article for Los Angeles magazine about the serial killer in 2013. She then signed a book deal with HarperCollins and began to work on a book about the case.

McNamara herself coined the moniker "Golden State Killer"[1] to refer to the serial killer/rapist who had previously been referred to by various other names (e.g., Original Night Stalker, East Area Rapist, and the Diamond Knot Killer).[2]

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
They all had their role to play, and it led to his capture which is great.

I am curious to learn what exactly was the vital clue that finally got the police's attention on this guy. My guess is that someone called in a tip, but how did THEY figure it out then? Very excited to find out.

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
So I was reading the Wiki articles on other serial killers that had been linked here earlier, and maybe the way the Grim Sleeper was caught is more relevant? In that case they had a similar thing happen because his son committed a felony and so had his DNA registered, which then was indicated as being related to the Grim Sleeper. So something like that could have happened here if they didn't have anything pointing him to begin with, like they had in BTK's case.

This would be due to the same database that was talked about earlier, with the $2 million donation and all that.

Yeah, as I mentioned in my follow-up post I think that's more likely, if a familial DNA was indeed the breakthrough.

How did one woman did better detective work than the actual real police?

...she didn't? I don't have a dog in the fight over McNamara's reputation but I haven't seen anyone suggest that the book named DeAngelo as a suspect or otherwise pointed towards him. We can still applaud her for bringing greater public attention to the case, of course.

Tom_Cody

Oct 28, 2017
...she didn't? I don't have a dog in the fight over McNamara's reputation but I haven't seen anyone suggest that the book named DeAngelo as a suspect or otherwise pointed towards him. We can still applaud her for bringing greater public attention to the case, of course.
Right exactly. Still worthy of praise though.

Oct 27, 2017
The argument that this case was dead prior to Michelle Mcnamara's efforts is really in poor taste. She did bring attention to the case to the general public, and I'm sure she wrote a fantastic book (haven't read it), but in no way whatsoever was this case ever forgotten about. This has been one of the biggest cases in North America since the 70's and there have been countless detectives, forensic pathologists, lawyers, etc, that have been working on this constantly, even after retiring. The victims and their families have relentlessly pursued this killer for decades as well. Not to mention the true crime publishing and documentary film communities that have investigated every possible angle of the case.

Today's Generation Why episode touches on this, and I recommend a listen....

https://art19.com/shows/generation-why-podcast/episodes/8d51decb-c389-4e92-b766-8292e8f95aea

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
They all had their role to play, and it led to his capture which is great.

I am curious to learn what exactly was the vital clue that finally got the police's attention on this guy. My guess is that someone called in a tip, but how did THEY figure it out then? Very excited to find out.

Maybe someone recognized one of his trophies. Just speculating.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
There are some people for whom I don't think life in prison is enough. This sick fucker is one of those people. He lived his life, he's 72, sitting in a cell for another 10 years until hebdies is nothing for the pain and suffering he's caused.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
How was he able to escape for so long though? He's committed so many crimes, and only now we know the identity of the person? That's crazy.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
How was he able to escape for so long though? He's committed so many crimes, and only now we know the identity of the person? That's crazy.

There was no DNA testing when he did his crimes so lots of evidence was eventually thrown out. The multiple murders weren't even linked to him until the 90's.
If you read about him, he was almost caught several times and managed to escape the police.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Adding to the above -- the original rape investigations were a bit of a joke and they threw away the evidence when the statute of limitation expired since they hadn't made the connection to the ONS murders. They still had tons of his DNA though since he made no effort to conceal it (given it wasn't used for investigations at the time)

MacReady13

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And here I was thinking the BTK case being solved would be the biggest unsolved case in my lifetime, and this comes along...

About 10 months ago I listened to the 5 part Casefile podcast episode and I shit you not, as a 37 year old man, I couldn't sleep well for the duration of the podcast and weeks after it. In fact, I now keep the tv on overnight to look like i'm awake to any possible intruders such is the scary nature of this guys attacks.

There was even some mention that he might be the same guy as a resident bogeyman here in Melbourne, the notorious and just as scary criminal known as Mr Cruel. He terrorized Melbourne homes for a period around the late 80's to early 90's, abducting children from their homes, sexually assaulting them and then leaving them in the streets. He murdered his last victim and, as far as I know, has never been heard of since. Turns out EAR/ONS is not Mr Cruel...

Either way, what a massive win for the people involved in the case, and finally some solace for the rape victims and the families of the people he killed. They got the bastard and he will spend the rest of his life rotting in jail. Scary, scary man...

Oct 27, 2017
Any idea how this compares to the Casefile podcast about this case? They're both multiple part podcasts and I'd like to check one of them out. Not sure I can handle two podcasts about murders so I'd appreciate any insight into which one covers it the best.

The unresolved one goes for putting you in the view of the victims. He is a really great narrator and uses good music and effects to make the series have a very chilling, somber tale on it. Its like the Lore podcast series. I was totally freaked out the first time I heard it.

I haven't heard the casefile series yet.

Last edited:

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
Some strange accounts by his neighbors:

"You can tell he's a very meticulous person," one Citrus Heights neighbor, Kevin Tapia, said after DeAngelo's arrest. "His house is always perfectly painted. His grass is always cut. He gets down around all the rocks on his lawn and is cutting to make sure it's just perfect."

Precision was important to DeAngelo, Tapia told the Bee — "to the point of having permanent markings on his driveway so he could be exact in parking his boat."

In contrast to his tidy home, several neighbors said, DeAngelo himself was prone to fits of rage and occasionally disturbing intrusions into their lives.

"This guy just had this anger that was just pouring out of him," Grant Gorman, who grew up in the house behind DeAngelo's, told the Bee. "He'd just be yelling at nothing in the backyard, pacing in circles."

These rages went back decades, Gorman said — to 1994, when DeAngelo left a voice mail threatening to "deliver a load of death" if the family's dog didn't stop barking.

Another neighbor, Eddy Verdon, told The Washington Post that three years ago he heard someone on his property, and opened his garage door to find DeAngelo mounting a bicycle to flee.

"I stared him down, and he looked at me nervously," Verdon said. "I never really interacted with him again. Maybe it wasn't such a bad idea."

"We used to just call him 'Freak,' " Natalia Bedes-Correnti told the Bee. "He used to have these temper tantrums … usually because he couldn't find his keys."

But the portly grandfather had calmed down in the past few years, she said. He was even well liked by some neighbors.

Cory Harvey, who lived next door, told the Bee that DeAngelo helped pay to put a fence between their houses, and would always apologize when she overheard him cursing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amph...rmal-grandpa-according-to-teen/?noredirect=on

MacReady13

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any idea how this compares to the Casefile podcast about this case? They're both multiple part podcasts and I'd like to check one of them out. Not sure I can handle two podcasts about murders so I'd appreciate any insight into which one covers it the best.

I can only give you my take on the Casefile episode, but it's really in depth, extremely scary and very frustrating in how close law enforcement got... It's very well researched and narrated and I HIGHLY recommend it. Kept me up for weeks. Truly frightening stuff that admittedly might lose some of its impact now we have a face to the crimes...

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
man, him stopping his spree when his daughter was born to then his daughter being the reason he was caught is some movie like poetry

Kermit

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
And the article did what exactly? The new task force came about following the DNA testing that finally linked the EAR cases with the ONS cases.

Your easy dismissal of the true heroes behind this case is telling.

This is an incredibly strange and unnecessarily rude post. You're the one dismissing people?

I think Michelle certainly did her but in investigating and shedding further light on the case, and it's not fair to completely dismiss her contribution either.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can only give you my take on the Casefile episode, but it's really in depth, extremely scary and very frustrating in how close law enforcement got... It's very well researched and narrated and I HIGHLY recommend it. Kept me up for weeks. Truly frightening stuff that admittedly might lose some of its impact now we have a face to the crimes...
I think I'm going with this one. I prefer the Aussie accent and it got 5 stars from thousands of reviewers. The other one isn't shabby by any means at 4.5 stars.

Having listened for 30 mins, it's unfortunate they didnt put 2 and 2 together when a cop was fired for stealing a hammer and dog repellant given that they knew the suspect was almost definitely military and probably also a cop since the tools and tactics he used were similar to those of a cop.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017