• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nilbog

Oct 25, 2017
Surreal. What a day.

RErqSuUHM-cjFpwgpMIS6BMbidyoyQieuvulJyS5t2o.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Evidently he killed two people right near where my mom used to live in Goleta, police came to her door and showed her sketches. And he was a cop in Exeter, which I assume lines up with his time killing in Visalia.

Deleted member 7430

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a child in the 80's in Los Angeles, between this guy and Ramirez, this was the stuff of nightmares. Everyone started locking their doors because of the terror these two men caused. Thank God, thank God, they caught him. It's over. Thank God.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Omg. Where is that picture from that's on the YouTube video of the phone calls? Glowing eyes in a ski mask? Fuck.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
I heard some talk that he may have also been "Mr. Cruel" from Australia, so it's possible he left the country for a while and was operating elsewhere.
I just looked up Mr Cruel on Wikipedia. Holy shit, I hope there's eventually a breakthrough in that case too. Just reading the article made me so mad. D:<

Last edited:

numble

Oct 25, 2017
I think they'll offer a life sentence so that the victims don't have to see this guy face to face. That's just a guess of course. He's going to prison, and he'll die there. If the victims want to testify, and go through the trial, then sure, the'll probably do it.

More people get closure when he pleads and reveals all of his kills and rapes.

I don't think its common that they offer plea deals to serial killers. The press conference was a parade of county prosecutors congratulating themselves. There is nothing to offer him anyway. The average time on death row is 18 years. He has seemingly already offered some information without a deal in place, such as the fact that he was the Visalia Ransacker.

Look at the recent serial killers caught:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grim_Sleeper - Full trial
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Rader - Pled guilty with no deal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Sowell - Full trial
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Ramirez - Full trial

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think its common that they offer plea deals to serial killers. The press conference was a parade of county prosecutors congratulating themselves. There is nothing to offer him anyway. The average time on death row is 18 years. He has seemingly already offered some information without a deal in place, such as the fact that he was the Visalia Ransacker.

Look at the recent serial killers caught:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grim_Sleeper - Full trial
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Rader - Pled guilty with no deal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Sowell - Full trial
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Ramirez - Full trial
I'm more concerned about the rape victims.

Pravus

Oct 28, 2017
So the police are saying McNamara's work had nothing to do with them finding this guy? I find that hard to believe, she at least kept the interest alive.

Oct 24, 2017
I just looked up Mr Cruel on Wikipedia. Holy shit, I hope there's eventually a breakthrough in that case too. Just reading the article made me so mad. D:<
It's doubtful that GSK is Mr. Cruel, unfortunately.
So the police are saying McNamara's work had nothing to do with them finding this guy? I find that hard to believe, she at least kept the interest alive.
Yeah, that really pisses me off frankly. McNamara brought the case back into the public eye, and I know internet detectives hate her book and her by extension but it's hard to deny it's significance.

Bananastand

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, that really pisses me off frankly. McNamara brought the case back into the public eye, and I know internet detectives hate her book and her by extension but it's hard to deny it's significance.
Isn't it pretty uncommon for police to acknowledge this sort of thing? I wouldn't let their official response bother you to much.

Occam

Oct 25, 2017
If he was found using DNA evidence, maybe the book really had nothing to do with his capture.

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Apparently cops never have and never will give credit/thanks to a journalist because it "emasculates" them since they themselves couldn't do their own job.

numble

Oct 25, 2017
I'm more concerned about the rape victims.

They highly hinted there was a familial DNA match with the DNA database. Once you get that match you just need to narrow it down to the relatives that match the profile.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If he was found using DNA evidence, maybe the book really had nothing to do with his capture.
If the book kept it in the public consciousness and made it easier to justify continuing to fund he investigation, she's a hero. Also giving him the name "Golden State Killer" helped a lot because it was far more memorable (and scary) than what they had prior.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
They highly hinted there was a familial DNA match with the DNA database. Once you get that match you just need to narrow it down to the relatives that match the profile.
Yep. This is probably accurate as to the how they found him.

Also, just a side note. My daughters psych class in highschool were talking about this case on Monday, before any of this came out. Kinda weird no doubt. A friend of my daughter was having nightmares about this guy haven't not been found.

numble

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently cops never have and never will give credit/thanks to a journalist because it "emasculates" them since they themselves couldn't do their own job.
If the book kept it in the public consciousness and made it easier to justify continuing to fund he investigation, she's a hero. Also giving him the name "Golden State Killer" helped a lot because it was far more memorable (and scary) than what they had prior.

Bruce Harrington, brother of one of the murder victims, spent $2 million of his own money to push for a ballot initiative to collect DNA from all felons and put them in the California DNA database. They gave him a speaking slot at the press conference even though he isn't law enforcement. He probably has the greatest claim to getting this done.

Is there evidence that a book published 1.5 months ago really led to this arrest?

Hank Hill

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Oct 25, 2017
Bruce Harrington, brother of one of the murder victims, spent $2 million of his own money to push for a ballot initiative to collect DNA from all felons and put them in the California DNA database. They gave him a speaking slot at the press conference even though he isn't law enforcement. He probably has the greatest claim to getting this done.

Is there evidence that a book published 1.5 months ago really led to this arrest?
That's crazy.He was really determined to find the killer.

Last edited:

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As they said during the press conference yesterday, the real hurdle that needed to be jumped was the fact that California was pretty much in the dark ages when it came to DNA processing for far too long.

The book was published recently, but she was involved with this publicly for years. They renamed him the Golden State Killer back in 2013 thanks to her article.

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Just because it was published 1.5 months ago doesn't mean it wasn't known for long before that.

As Patton said, every time they say "Golden State Killer" they're acknowledging they at least know of the book.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just because it was published 1.5 months ago doesn't mean it wasn't known for long before that.

As Patton said, every time they say "Golden State Killer" they're acknowledging they at least know of the book.
They're acknowledging they know of the original 2013 article she wrote, where she dubbed him the GS Killer. An article that brought a ton of attention to this case. No one is saying she deserves all the credit, that would be dumb. But she deserves some.

Zatoichi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland

Nonsense, the book is only out a few months ago.

A new task force was brought together a few years ago to tackle the case.

There was massive interest in the case for years and years, many documentaries on the case.

The families and survivors helped keep this in the public interest, in all truth Michelle was a bit of a Johnny come lately, provided no new information and has been found out the book had no direct impact on it being solved.

The acknowledgement is deserved to those who have spent decades dealing with this and trying to solve it.

As another pointed out, Bruce Harrington has done much, much more than a book ever did.

Zatoichi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Absolutely cringe worthy some of the "Michelle we got him" "well done Michelle" type posts and sentiment seen since yesterday.

Absolutely spits in the face of the true heroes of this tale; the victims, their families, the survivors and Law enforcement.

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't understand how this pyschopathic piece of shit killed and raped all of those people, then went on to live a normal life in quiet suburbia. Surreal just thinking about it.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nonsense, the book is only out a few months ago.

A new task force was brought together a few years ago to tackle the case.

There was massive interest in the case for years and years, many documentaries on the case.

The families and survivors helped keep this in the public interest, in all truth Michelle was a bit of a Johnny come lately, provided no new information and has been found out the book had no direct impact on it being solved.

The acknowledgement is deserved to those who have spent decades dealing with this and trying to solve it.

As another pointed out, Bruce Harrington has done much, much more than a book ever did.
LOL sure, let's pretend the article that led to the book in 2013 never happened.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't understand how this pyschopathic piece of shit killed and raped all of those people, then went on to live a normal life in quiet suburbia. Surreal just thinking about it.

It is weird. So many of these serial killer/rapists have a compulsion and don't stop until they get caught or die. But this guy... he stops (that we know of) and just goes on to live a normal life. It's why a lot of people figured he was dead.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely spits in the face of the true heroes of this tale
No it doesn't. She'd been working on this for years, too. It's not an insult for people to want to share congratulations with someone who died while working on publicizing this case. I, for one, first heard about the Golden State Killer through her work.

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
It is weird. So many of these serial killer/rapists have a compulsion and don't stop until they get caught or die. But this guy... he stops (that we know of) and just goes on to live a normal life. It's why a lot of people figured he was dead.

Even had his daughter and granddaughter living in that house with him. I can't imagine what a nightmare it must be to wake up and find out what a monster her old man truly was. I wonder if he ever displayed any signs.

Zatoichi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
LOL sure, let's pretend the article that led to the book in 2013 never happened.

And the article did what exactly? The new task force came about following the DNA testing that finally linked the EAR cases with the ONS cases.

Your easy dismissal of the true heroes behind this case is telling.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Makes you wonder if killed or raped anyone during his break or if he constantly thought about or planned out attacks but never went through with them.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Even had his daughter and granddaughter living in that house with him. I can't imagine what a nightmare it must be to wake up and find out what a monster her old man truly was. I wonder if he ever displayed any signs.

And then try to imagine that your own arrest helped catch him. (That's if they actually used familial DNA like I've been hearing.)
I feel for his family because they must be rocked.

Zatoichi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
No it doesn't. She'd been working on this for years, too. It's not an insult for people to want to share congratulations with someone who died while working on publicizing this case. I, for one, first heard about the Golden State Killer through her work.

At the cost of recognition of the people who did the real heavy lifting?

Bruce Harrington helped bring around changes in legislation that helped link the cases between EAR and ONS, he has been fighting this fight since 1980.