• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 31, 2017
I think it's pretty surprising if they were never able to zero in on this guy, especially since in those years he was committing most of his acts, they were able to tie crimes of his to an M.O. profile they'd developed.

To me, I think, his M.O. screamed someone who was either a Police Officer, served in a branch of the military in some capacity, or was both.

The fact that he was in fact both of those AND he'd been expelled from a police force for shoplifting makes me pretty surprised that they didn't look at him earlier on.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I no nothing about the case, but it seems to be pretty famous.

Is there a good place to get the basics on it, why it's so well known, and how they just now solved it? Lots of links I'm finding presume some basic knowledge of the case which I don't have.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Michelle is getting a lot of credit because she deserves it. She was taking the drugs that contributed to her death to help cope with the depression and nightmares that researching this case was causing. Patton mentioned that it was starting to really fuck with her.

I read her book at night (which I do not recommend) and it fucked with me. I can't imagine what it does to the people actively digging for this guy.
Being on the East Coast, I had never heard of him even though he sounds every bit as bad as Ted Bundy. Glad his victims can finally get justice.

zon

Oct 28, 2017
Crazy they caught him after all this time. Good job to everyone involved.

The one cold case I've always wanted to be solved is the Axeman of New Orleans, but that will probably never happen.

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the most likely suspect already dead? Arthur Allen?
Meh, it's possible, but that guy is basically linked to every unsolved murder from like the 30's to the 80's. Black Dahlia case? Arthur Leigh Allen. Everything is Arthur Leigh Allen.

He probably did some murders, but there has never been conclusive evidence for anything he did relating to these famous cases.

RulkezX

Oct 27, 2017
The books is on offer on UK Amazon so I guess I'll be buying that. Strangely enough these were my next episodes on the Casefile podcast .

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
It's incredible how now that all the pieces are together, based on what we know about DeAngelo, it all lines up so well. The locations of the crimes matching his movements and employment, that he was a police officer probably giving him knowledge of what investigators would look for at the scene of a crime...

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
At 72, he'd come so close to just running out the clock. I can't wait to learn everything there is to know about how investigators zeroed in on him.

Bananastand

Oct 26, 2017
I learned about this guy through McNamara (haven't read the book yet, not sure if I can handle it) and seeing this getting a proper ending is pretty crazy.

Just reading up on this guy and, woofff. Not sure I can stomach a whole book about that.

DanCon

Oct 30, 2017
this is amazing if it turns out to be him!.... im just over halfway through Ill Be Gone in the Dark, amazing and terrifying book.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why was he in Southern California?

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, I remember reading up on this guy.

In 1991, a previous victim received a phone call from the perpetrator and spoke with him for one minute. She stated that she could hear a woman and children in the background, leading to suspicion that he had started a family

Stuff like this stood out to me, to terrify someone over a decade after attacking them. Always thought he'd get away with it. Glad he didn't.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
That anecdote that he attacked a man that spoke up at a town hall and his wife after questioning how a woman could get raped with a man in the house...hoo boy. There appears to be pictures of said town hall, too. I wonder if he can be found in any pictures.

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
I can't believe they actually fucking got him. Never thought I'd see the day that we'd know who this motherfucker was.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He got kicked off the police force, and DNA evidence was becoming a bigger thing. He probably didn't think he knew how to cover up his tracks anymore.

He got kicked off the force before transitioning to murder. It's still a big mystery why he stopped (if he did) but they said he had a wife and kids so that may have something to do with it

His crimes were pre-dna so he left it everywhere. I doubt we will learn he kept it up after the known attacks (once he started killing -- there are probably unreported rapes)

rezn0r

Oct 25, 2017
No idea what's accurate or not but I read on Reddit that his daughter may have been arrested for meth and that led to the DNA. I'll edit post if I can find a link, I had a shit ton of pages open and closed them all.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Started reading the book last Friday, woke up to the news today, wow so glad they got him.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I learned about this guy through McNamara (haven't read the book yet, not sure if I can handle it) and seeing this getting a proper ending is pretty crazy.

Just reading up on this guy and, woofff. Not sure I can stomach a whole book about that.

He used to crawl around on the roof of the houses he was planning on victimizing. Sometimes they'd hear him up there, but not know what it was.
I didn't sleep that night after I read that.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
So did the DNA samples they had match this guy?

That would be amazing since DNA testing didn't exist when he first started committing the crimes.

Good thing they kept samples from back then figuring one day they could test and compare to suspects down the road.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Not all of the counties saved their samples, others were tested within the last few years.

Theory is a family member was arrested,
familial DNA was matched, then they got a sample from him (from his garbage or whatnot) and it matched.

DC24

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is fucking INSANE
this guy was worse than the Zodiac

Been following this case online for years
Just crazy that they caught this sick fuck

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
This is fucking INSANE
this guy was worse than the Zodiac

Been following this case online for years
Just crazy that they caught this sick fuck

Crazy as it is, the Zodiac is not even near the top of the list when it comes to serial killers. We can confirm that he killed 5 and potential victims number into the upper 30s, but even with that higher number there's a good 3 dozen known American serial killers with more victims, some in the hundreds.

The Zodiac gained a lot of infamy for the cryptic nature of the crimes and the fact that it is still unsolved.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Michelle McNamara did a fantastic job helping to put an end to this case, even if she no longer on this Earth.

May the victims and their families affected by this bastard finally find peace.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Got a lot of podcasts to listen to now damn. I remember hearing that voicemail on the old site and was chilled to the core. Glad they found him.