• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody who's in the true crime scene know about this guy. He's one of the worst of the worst. He had been active for decades, terrorized living victims and raped and murdered numerous people.

It was incredible that they were able to catch this guy after how cold the case had been. Surprisingly not, he was a cop.

www.cnn.com

Golden State Killer Joseph DeAngelo sentenced to life in prison | CNN

A former California police officer who became known as the notorious Golden State Killer said he was "truly sorry" before he was sentenced to life without the possibility of parole on Friday.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Still blows my mind that they finally nabbed him. Makes me wonder how many other cases could potentially be solved down the line.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Oooh, I'm guessing that they had the session for the victims to speak, haven't they? I've got to listen to this man get dragged.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Good. find the darkest and most well hidden spot in the prison and leave it there.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
I've read that he finally dropped the frail old man act and stood up to make a statement. Maybe he's accepted his fate. He apologized to the victims apparently.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Was just about to post this. Can't imagine being those families right now.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Not a death penalty person, but I would not weep if he got shanked in prison. 13 murders and 50 rapes is horrific.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
I've read that he finally dropped the frail old man act and stood up to make a statement. Maybe he's accepted his fate. He apologized to the victims apparently.
"Apologized" to them. He stared at a wall the last 3 days when the victims were speaking, showing zero emotion.

(1:15:02)
Oooh, I'm guessing that they had the session for the victims to speak, haven't they? I've got to listen to this man get dragged.
There's alot.

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Sentencing today

It's a rough watch.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Good.

If anyone hasn't seen (or read) "I'll Be Gone in the Dark," do it now. Such a terrible monster.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
His health is extremely poor and he likely has only a few years left. I'm not a supporter of the death penalty so my only regret is that he couldn't live out the extent of his sentencing. 13 murders and 50+ violent rapes is absolutely insane given how long he eluded the police.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I was so surprised when I heard that they actually caught the guy after so, so long, yet not surprised at all to learn he was a cop.

So was this the guy that Patton Oswalt's late wife identified in her book?

She didn't identify anyone. Her book actually didn't really have anything to do with his capture.

EDIT: Also, it's so crazy that not only did it take them decades to figure out the EAR and the ONS were the same person, but also that he eventually turned out to be the Visalia Ransacker, too. This guy was so many people.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
So was this the guy that Patton Oswalt's late wife identified in her book?
She was investigating the killer for a long time, but I don't think she actually ever brought this guy's name up. I listened to the book a while back and its interesting to see how all the pieces make sense once you know the killer.

Still, she helped keep public interest in the case alive, and I think that was worth a lot. She even mentioned that the answer was probably in the DNA databases somewhere, which IIRC is exactly how he ended up identified.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
The fact that he got to live his life for so long with no consequence is saddening. He deserves worse than the few years he will spend in prison before he dies.

MrGiraffe

Feb 27, 2020
I was so surprised when I heard that they actually caught the guy after so, so long, yet not surprised at all to learn he was a cop.

She didn't identify anyone. Her book actually didn't really have anything to do with his capture.

EDIT: Also, it's so crazy that not only did it take them decades to figure out the EAR and the ONS were the same person, but also that he eventually turned out to be the Visalia Ransacker, too. This guy was so many people.

This is such a weird reply, especially since she didn't live to see him getting caught and identified. Of course her work helped with getting him — erasing her work is gross.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
I remember watch the E! True Hollywood Story: The Original Night Stalker Ep. years ago and couldn't phantom how someone like him exist. I do hope his victims and surviving family members find solace in this, which I am presumably sure they do.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
She was investigating the killer for a long time, but I don't think she actually ever brought this guy's name up. I listened to the book a while back and its interesting to see how all the pieces make sense once you know the killer.

Still, she helped keep public interest in the case alive, and I think that was worth a lot. She even mentioned that the answer was probably in the DNA databases somewhere, which IIRC is exactly how he ended up identified.
I mean she gave him the name "Golden State Killer," and she got a lot right about who he was. She was absolutely on the right track. But she did not ever have this guy on her suspect lists. Had she lived longer, it's a fair question whether she would have eventually zeroed in on him, since he fit so much of the profile she (and her friends) had developed.

But don't lose sight of the fact that her work was first and foremost about changing the way we tell victims' stories.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Already posted.

www.resetera.com

Golden State Killer / Original Night Stalker sentenced to life

Anybody who’s in the true crime scene know about this guy. He’s one of the worst of the worst. He had been active for decades, terrorized living victims and raped and murdered numerous people. It was incredible that they were able to catch this guy after how cold the case had been. Surprisingly...

Shame he'll escape by dying in the next few years.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
He'll be dead inside of five years, without a doubt, but it's comforting to know that he won't go to his grave having escaped justice.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
This is such a weird reply. Of course her work helped with getting him.

It didn't, though? She didn't identify him or produce any new leads that helped the Sacramento PD find him. They caught him by cross-referencing his DNA using a genealogy website (unfortunately for the bastard, a relative of his had used the service).

You could argue that she helped maintain public interest in the case, but the dude's identity was one of the most infamous unsolved mysteries in true crime for a very long time. I know it's a very romantic thought, that a dedicated, independent author, out of pure gumption, successfully brought one of America's most prolific monsters to justice after tragically dying young, but it didn't happen.

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
This is such a weird reply, especially since she didn't live to see him getting caught and identified. Of course her work helped with getting him — erasing her work is gross.
Her work brought attention to the case but I'm not aware of any direct connection to the actual apprehension of the dude.

OP
OP
MrNewVegas

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
she never actually identified DeAngelo though i thought?
She brought the case to light and got it a lot more traction. But it was ultimately DNA from like 23 and me or whatever that linked to a relative of his that got him caught.
Yes. She had zero involvement for him being caught.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
And the slack jawed, feeble old man act was just that. Dude was a complete sociopath to the end.

jailhouse videos of him standing on tables, cleaning the floor, etc.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The way those crimes were described in the I'll Be Gone in the Dark doc (and I bought the book after). Jesus Christ.

The book is so much better than the documentary. I really didn't care for how much they made the documentary about Michelle. The book has WAY fucking more details on the case. The documentary honestly seemed to really gloss over just how much of a monster this mother fucker was.

Sucks he got to live most his life as a free man, but it's better than never getting him.

It sucks it took so long. But, at least they got him while he was still alive. You know he never expected that. And like Michelle says, the best thing about catching a killer is they lose all their power. The legend dies once we get to see he is just another piece of shit like the rest.

OP
OP
MrNewVegas

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
I've been following this case for years. I remember being floored when they actually caught him. And today, he actually made a statement. It's truly crazy to see --

www.reddit.com

r/EARONS - DeAngelos statement

746 votes and 465 comments so far on Reddit
Considering how this man terrorized his living victims via phone calls decades after the attacks, idk how anybody could believe that shit.
And the slack jawed, feeble old man act was just that. Dude was a complete sociopath to the end.

jailhouse videos of him standing on tables, cleaning the floor, etc.

Yeah the police had followed him on his motorcycle and he was weaving traffic flying down the road.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
"Apologized" to them. He stared at a wall the last 3 days when the victims were speaking, showing zero emotion.

I wasn't insinuating anything, just mentioning what he said. I think we all know he can shove his apology up his ass.

I did see one clip where one of the male victims called him a coward and stated they should have fought after an interaction they had before the attack. DeAngelo dropped his act for a millisecond, just enough for the victim to notice and comment on it. That fragile masculinity complex is still getting to him.

Tomita

Oct 25, 2017
B-b-but guys, he said he was really sorry about it.

/barf

The feeble old man shit these people do is so rich. I remember watching this documentary on one of the later Nazi trials and the Nazi fuck pulled the same shit. Yet he was obviously fine. No one buys it, you pigs.

And of course he was a cop. ACAB forever.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Michelle Macnamara had nothing to do with the guys identification and capture, that's true. She wouldn't have found him either, he was never going to end up on a suspect list to be investigated.

However, she had a lot of details right (his profile and background) and she was dead on with how he would caught. She may not have been a part of the "investigative team" officially, but her relationship with them was important. She's very much responsible for bringing attention to the case, which was very much needed, and appreciated by the team. DeAngelo flew under the radar compared to other notorious serial killers due to his career of crime being credited to multiple monikers. The Visalia Ransacker (which wasn't confirmed until capture), the East Area/Side Rapist, and the Original Night Stalker. The last two weren't connected until the end of last century.

Being able to attribute all of DeAngelos crimes under one name gave the case the attention it deserves. That's probably her greatest contribution.

Yes, it's disingenuous to say that Michelle brought down the Golden State Killer, but it's also disingenuous to say that she didn't contribute at all. The method that caught him had been discussed as a possibility long before it happened, she was definitely aware of that. Basically, she was an online crime sleuth that was good enough to become a trusted ally and contributor to the investigation.

B-b-but guys, he said he was really sorry about it.

/barf

The feeble old man shit these people do is so rich. I remember watching this documentary on one of the later Nazi trials and the Nazi fuck pulled the same shit. Yet he was obviously fine. No one buys it, you pigs.

And of course he was a cop. ACAB forever.

With how much his fragile masculinity ate him up, that was only job that would suit him, unfortunately.

vitacola

May 23, 2018
l.sn.de
But he didn't talk besides the bullshit "I am sorry" (I expected that the crowd would just start laughing after he finished) at the end?

Jive Turkey

Oct 25, 2017
It's highly unlikely but my sister may have saved us from him.

When she was about a year old, she woke my mom in the middle of the night. As my mom went to check on her, she noticed a light in the front room but pay any attention to it thinking it was just a car's headlights coming up the road. The next morning she realized headlights wouldn't shine through the front window that way and it was most likely a flashlight.

That morning my dad noticed the garage door was unlocked and open. It was pretty clear someone broke into our house but nothing was taken but some thing had been moved. We didn't think anything more of it, but looking back, it had all the hallmarks of the ONS.

- It was at the time ONS was in our area.
- We lived in a new neighborhood and ours was one of the only houses actually built.
- We lived near a major thoroughfare with easy access to a freeway.
- Nothing was stolen but things were moved.
- No locks/windows broken, rather the door was unlocked from the inside.
- No confrontation/ran when he realized someone was awake.

Like I said, it's highly unlikely it was him, but it's creepy to think it could have been him.

Sutton Dagger

Oct 27, 2017
Any documentaries about the case and how it was solved? As someone in Australia I know the name given to him but no further details.