• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
BlindLightApatosaur-size_restricted.gif

Epic moment

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
It should be, its the best choreographed fight from the manga. Toriyama played it straight and made it a culmination of Tournament of Power finals, complete with Goku losing at the end.

I remember studying this fight panel by panel in college. Other fights have more emotional ups and downs but this was a pure "no narrative, just a test of skill" and it shows
Thanks for this anecdote, this is why I liked the fight so much.

At the risk of sounding redundant I wanna point out two moments in the series I really like.

AkUDUc7.gif

I like this part where Vegeta is getting overpowered by Recoome but still tries, there's something about the animation that's really cool.

9StFlQr.gif

This other part is the Frieza vs Goku fight, this particular moment to me seems like when Frieza realized he truly lost the fight already. I like Goku's expressionless face here (in comparison to Frieza's face).

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
In terms of fight choreography? Then yes, no question.

Other fights have more emotional weight though. Gohan vs Cell barely qualifies as a fight. Cell attacks Gohan, Gohan does nothing, Cell puts Gohan in a bearhug, Cell Jrs, Gohan transforms, one punch, one kick, Gohan takes a blast to the arm. Kamehameha battle. Yet people love it.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
tumblr_nz8y7az9Lp1u7zuaso1_540.gifv

I was pretty checked out of Dragon Ball Z by the time the Cell Saga rolled around dubbed with everything I'd seen online so I probably unfairly favor the stuff I watched and experienced new. The Goku vs Nappa and Everyone vs Vegeta fights will always be my favorites.

AkUDUc7.gif

I like this part where Vegeta is getting overpowered by Recoome but still tries, there's something about the animation that's really cool.

That was another good one. The animation is great in it.

Oct 27, 2017
Goku vs Cell is def my favourite fight in Dragonball (haven't watched Super). Only real critique is the knowledge that Cell is holding a fair bit back.

Honurable mention to Piccolo vs 17 with the added bonus that they were both evenly matched power wise (a rarity in DBZ).

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So we going to ignore the Super Broly movie? Or the Tournament of Power?

I dont agree with OP at all.

DubleDuce

Jan 15, 2018
It definitely had a lot of good character moments, but in regards to an actual fight...hard disagree.

There wasn't really ever a point in the fight where both fighters were equally matched. Cell dominated before SS2, Gohan dominated after SS2, Gohan gets crippled saving Vegeta after Cell comes back, and pulls out every once of his strength to win the beam struggle.

There are many other superior fights in the series, most of which have been listed already.

Oct 25, 2017
It was just another fight in the manga, but the anime improved it a lot. The best fight in the series has Goku vs Freeza specifically the manga version where it was paced perfect, but Toei padded it to hell for their version.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I like the simpler fights from the first half of Z more than the crazy over the top nonsense that came later. The entire Saiyan Saga arc was a series of great fights and culminated in an excellent showdown. Also a big fan of the Goku vs Frieza fight on Namek even if it gets a bit long in tooth by the end.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
It definitely had a lot of good character moments, but in regards to an actual fight...hard disagree.

There wasn't really ever a point in the fight where both fighters were equally matched. Cell dominated before SS2, Gohan dominated after SS2, Gohan gets crippled saving Vegeta after Cell comes back, and pulls out every once of his strength to win the beam struggle.

There are many other superior fights in the series, most of which have been listed already.

Strange take imo. Goku vs Cell is probably the best choreographed fight in the series. Certainly in the top 3 (Piccolo vs 17, Goku vs Majin Vegeta) And for a while it appeared that Goku was definitely in the fight, which is why it was so surprising when he conceded. Compared to most fights Goku tapped out super early. Symbolically passing the torch to Gohan was the only real character moment to speak of, but it was foreshadowed heavily that this was going to happen. The real character moments happened later with the culmination of Gohan's character arc... but that's not Cell vs Goku.

Karsha

May 1, 2020
In terms of epicness ita the first Goku vs Vegeta, as a visial delight i dunno but I always liked ssj2 Goku vs Kid Buu (and later ssj3)

Gigi A

Oct 26, 2017
Austin, TX
The fights in DBS: Broly are #1
Gogeta vs Broly is also dope as fuck

Piccolo vs 17 is another amazing fight that went down

Oct 25, 2017
When it comes to the anime World Strongest probably had the best fights of the series until Broly's Super film came out.

DubleDuce

Jan 15, 2018
Strange take imo. Goku vs Cell is probably the best choreographed fight in the series. Certainly in the top 3 (Piccolo vs 17, Goku vs Majin Vegeta) And for a while it appeared that Goku was definitely in the fight, which is why it was so surprising when he conceded. Compared to most fights Goku tapped out super early. Symbolically passing the torch to Gohan was the only real character moment to speak of, but it was foreshadowed heavily that this was going to happen. The real character moments happened later with the culmination of Gohan's character arc... but that's not Cell vs Goku.
It would seem that I misread Goku for Gohan. Please disregard.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
Vermillion

I like when Goku is his most Saiyan-like, hungry for battle but also attempting to intimidate his enemies.

Brilliant scene

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I kind of despise the whole Buu arc but for some reason I really REALLY love this episode and this fight in particular.
The animation is great, it's always on model which isn't all that common in Dragon Ball Z.
It's really also all kinds of BS with the conclusion only possible in a gag manga if we're honest.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I think it was kinda underwhelming. There was no tension, seemed like Goku wasn't really trying, and lacked that "grand" feel that was found in the Vegeta and Frieza fights. It had decent choreography though, as did the Majin Vegeta fight.

As for my personal favorites, I really like the Beerus fight due to its scale and the S Broly fight because it looked gorgeous. Come to think of it, Super in general had some amazing fights, arguably even better than Z.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2017
California
I'm personally a big fan of the earth vs Vegeta and Nappa
Then goku comes and cripples nappa and vegeta makes him go boom
Then goku vs vegeta with everyone helping out
That close to earth being game over

Vex

Oct 25, 2017