• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Did people bitch and whine when he let Frieza go too, like Raditz? Or was Toriyama being a fanboy of himself too? What's new about this? I dont even read Super, but this is who Goku is. Why are people shocked?

2ndTuXx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking ahead, Goku always has "lessons" to learn, let that sink in for a second. It's hard to move fans of DBS that have seen everything, I still believe sensu beans aren't that strong in the first place.
9.gif

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
To say that DB has become too formulaic is a massive understatement.

I hope that at some point soon, it will stop being the Goku show and allow some of the other characters a bit of the spotlight.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
YOU GOTTA BE FUCKING KIDDING ME!!!

they should've just given Vegeta the win; that bs with him absorbing Seven-three was stupid enough....

Oct 25, 2017
Goku sparing an enemy is absolutely in character and no one complained when in the last chapter, Goku said he wouldn't carry on with Moro's death sentence.

it's the whole "Let's do that Z meme again" what's stupid and out of place. It completely breaks the story, kinda like how Star Wars 9 breaks everytime they look into the camera and address a redditt complaint about TLJ.

Goku just letting him go was enough, the set up was there.
But why is one story element being repeated okay and the other is not? And you say that Goku just mastered Ultra Instinct or whatever? The Goku everyone knows would absolutely not pass up the chance to test out this new power, like with Gohan's hidden potential way back when. I would go as far as to say that it would be out of character to let this chance slip away.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
isn't Super just illustrated by Toyotarou and the story is done by Toriyama?
atleast that is what wikipedia says:
en.wikipedia.org

Toyotarou - Wikipedia

Toyotarou is a Japanese manga artist. He [ ] is best known for illustrating Dragon Ball Super (2015–present), which is written by series creator Akira Toriyama.
The series is a sequel to the original Dragon Ball manga, with its overall plot outline written by creator Akira Toriyama. The manga is illustrated by Toyotarou, with story and editing by Toriyama

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Buu being plot relevant and Yamcha blitzing some jobbers were the highlights of this arc, can't really say I remember much of the rest fondly.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully there's significant rewrites, I mean the anime team are the ones responsible of making characters like Kefla loved and popular..Let us never forget how Toyotaro treated the first ever female Super Saiyans...
cf1e3807be3cbed5d842b6b1ef8bb967ae98e2afr1-1152-2048v2_hq-1.jpg

Imagine being that much of a fanboy that you just turn the first powerful female Saiyan into a Z character fellatio
"that's just how it is"

smh

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
If you actually expect Goku you to actually develop as a character then I have a bridge in North Korea to sell you.

Dragon Ball has never truly been the story that develops its main character.
He's had some developments, they're more subtle than those of Vegeta and Piccolo, but they're there. It's why I consider his last line in the Broly movie the best development he's had in years, as he finally embraced his Saiyan name (not his heritage, he already accepted that a long time ago) and owned it, at least in the original Japanese version of the line which was "Son Goku and... Kakarot" as a reply to what his name was, unlike the English dub where they had him specifically say "but Broly, call me Kakarot".

Favio Bolo

Banned
Aug 17, 2020
this would be a "goku gonna goku" moment but there's a little detail
a character sacrificed himself to permanently damage Moro, negating his absorption abilities and goku just make his sacrifice useless

i already tought the Moro arc went to shit when he became the usual db villain instead of the old goat he was but this is a step further lol

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What's the problem here. This is entirely inline with Goku as a character.

Wants to see the good in everyone
Will put everything at risk for a good fight cause he's basically chasing the dragon
Willingly has healed multiple villains despite the threat because he's overconfident

He did this with Freiza and Cell. It's par for the course. If it was Vegeta he would have fucked erased moro.

Oct 30, 2017
The Moro Arc is absolute trash.

Remember like a year ago The Dai Kaio fought Moro? Completely irrelevant now. It should have ended there.

They power up Vegeta with new abilities for no benefit. Moro is just another typical enemy that absorbs power for his own benefit.

Remember Majin Buu who was supposed to be the greatest threat to the Kais and the universe who ever existed? Guess what? Moro is only 1000x stronger than that threat.

Now I guess Goku can do UI on demand. Now they will need to come up with villains way more powerful than UI Goku. They just couldn't wait to bring back UI and waste it on someone as shit as Moro.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
But why is one story element being repeated okay and the other is not? And you say that Goku just mastered Ultra Instinct or whatever? The Goku everyone knows would absolutely not pass up the chance to test out this new power, like with Gohan's hidden potential way back when. I would go as far as to say that it would be out of character to let this chance slip away.

Because one is repeating a theme, the other is just repackaging something you think your fanbase cares about and expecting praise for it.

The repetition is done right down to Goku tricking Krillin into giving him a Senzu AGAIN.

The theme of Goku sparing his opponents is not the problem here, it's the 1:1 repetition of a popular scene to try and get high fives from fans. Only this time he went for a scene popular for BEING DUMB.

Not unlike Star Wars, since we have the whole "Toyotaro is JJ Abrams" Joke going it could work as an example.

Original: A boy lives in the dessert, finds his way into adventure after coming across a droid filled with information that will defeat the Empire.
Prequel: A boy lives in the dessert, finds his way into adventure after coming across a wise Jedi and a Princess, then competing for his freedom
Sequel: A girl lives in the dessert, finds her way into adventure after coming across a droid filled with information that will defeat the Empire.

One plays off a theme, the other is a straight up rehash

oh come the fuck on... not even gonna bother watching this shit when they make the anime version.

The Anime has been significantly different from the Manga from the start.

They're basically 2 separate things

Last edited:

AlwaysSalty

The Fallen
Nov 12, 2017
oh come the fuck on... not even gonna bother watching this shit when they make the anime version.

Oct 27, 2017
I just hope the reason we didn't hear anything from the anime for this long is because they do their own thing and abandon everything that has to do with this trash manga.

Iacomus

Dec 26, 2018
Hopefully there's significant rewrites, I mean the anime team are the ones responsible of making characters like Kefla loved and popular..Let us never forget how Toyotaro treated the first ever female Super Saiyans...
cf1e3807be3cbed5d842b6b1ef8bb967ae98e2afr1-1152-2048v2_hq-1.jpg

Imagine being that much of a fanboy that you just turn the first powerful female Saiyan into a Z character fellatio

Kefla and Caulifa are my two favourites. But I can see what he is going for with his ToP.
  • ToP anime - spectacle and amazing prolonged fights.
  • ToP Manga - Power scaled fights.
Anime had problems like Goku out of energy but enough to go Ssj blue. Vegeta getting a filler power up.

Kefla would never be as powerful as SSJ Blue Goku. Ever. Universe's 6 power growth was amazing but super ridiculous.

Manga had some good moment. Kale wrecking shop in intelligence and power. Kefla and Gohan would be equals in power imo.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Kefla and Caulifa are my two favourites. But I can see what he is going for with his ToP.
  • ToP anime - spectacle and amazing prolonged fights.
  • ToP Manga - Power scaled fights.
Anime had problems like Goku out of energy but enough to go Ssj blue. Vegeta getting a filler power up.

Kefla would never be as powerful as SSJ Blue Goku. Ever. Universe's 6 power growth was amazing but super ridiculous.

Manga had some good moment. Kale wrecking shop in intelligence and power. Kefla and Gohan would be equals in power imo.

Ah yes, turning your first female Super Saiyan character into a doormat sucking up to the greatness of a man and resigning herself to die without a fight is ok because the power levels are scaled....

C'mon

And you can't tell me the "Power levels are scaled" after this...

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really understanding how this arc is apparently worse than what was going on in Super.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Goku is consistently a moron and terrible father. This is in line with his character.

It's still bad writing.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I was half expecting Moro to murk Krillin like Frieza back in the day there.

cyress8

Avenger
Ok, this is extremely dumb. With Cell I kinda see why he gave him one, even though it was still stupid. He wanted a fair fight since Gohan was going in fresh into the fight.

This is on another level though. Goku got his ass beat just as much as Moro and came back with a win. Why in the hell do you want to restart the fight with a fully healed enemy and not being in top form yourself?