• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
In a week, wife and I will be off to Thailand. Our first time! WOOT! Excited! Our high level plans:
- 4 days in Bangkok mostly for a friends wedding
- 3 days in Chiang Mai visiting a cousin who lives there
- 4 days in Phuket relaxing on a beach and getting some sun :)

I've watched a few dozen videos from Mark Weins and others for places to eat, chill, etc and so looking forward to all the yummy food and friendly people. Just got my shots and stomach ache meds ready just in case but I've been to southeast asia before and have been ok. Water of course will be bottled lol.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
User banned (1 month): making light of, and advocating for, the illegal and sexual exploitation of women
Any sex tourism going on? Is it acceptable for a couple to be looking for that kind of stuff in Thailand? Like vs Amsterdam for example?

Asking for a ...uhh...friend!

Anyways I'm working up to a trip there too. Hopefully 2021. Gotta get more versed in Thai food first...

Dec 24, 2017
Makes me sad that the first question is about sex tourism. Never change G..er..Era. On the other hand, it's not like Thailand is turning away the sex tourism dollar.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
My wife and I went ten years ago to the same three places, but different amounts of time. Spent a total of two days in Bangkok and that was plenty for me. Spent a week in Chiang Mai and loved it. By far my favorite part of the trip. Spent five days in Phuket and wish I would spent more time up north. I hope you have fun! Be safe!

ByteCulture

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
In a week, wife and I will be off to Thailand. Our first time! WOOT! Excited! Our high level plans:

I've watched a few dozen videos from Mark Weins and others for places to eat, chill, etc and so looking forward to all the yummy food and friendly people. Just got my shots and stomach ache meds ready just in case but I've been to southeast asia before and have been ok. Water of course will be bottled lol.

Iam often there. If you are into dogs make sure to check out the korgi cafe in bangkok.

Have fun. If you are going for traditional Thailand you will have a blast.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eat the dried squid salad every day.

You probably won't have a bad meal.

Eat weird sausage at a night market.

Charter a speedboat and explore James Bond-esque islands on the Andaman sea.

Don't accept cab rides unless you flag them down and make them run the meter. It's INCREDIBLY cheap to take cabs everywhere but only metered and only hailed. If they offer you a rate they are crooks.

Take a boat ride to the floating market. Yes you did just see a seven foot carp surface from the brown depths.

Good luck asking for both beer and water simultaneously anywhere outside of the city.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Where in Bangkok? My wife and I were in the "old city" I believe it was called and we loved it there. We ventured one day into the newer I guess "downtown" area of Bangkok and didn't like it nearly as much. I guess the old city is more tourist friendly.

As far as the cab rides mentioned above, we just used the Uber-like app there. We did use tuk tuks every now and then and they probably overcharged us but it was still super cheap in USD.

GNOSIS

Oct 29, 2017
Welcome! The weather up north is not too bad this time of the year. It's arguably the best time to visit Chiang Mai. Hiking will be fun!
Even Bangkok isn't too hot now! (by our standards anyway. lol) And you will get so much sun here that you might start to hate it like the rest of us. :P

Have fun!

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
OP, what shots did you take before the trip? Ive been there before but didnt take any shots....

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
OP, what shots did you take before the trip? Ive been there before but didnt take any shots....

I got shots when I went last year but dang my memory, no idea what they were. We went to Japan and Thailand.

if you have insurance, they probably have a travel clinic. That's where I went and they basically gave us a 30 minute talk and told us what they recommended.

edit... just looked up and looks like MMR, Typhoid and Hepatitis A.

OP
OP
rokkerkory

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018

Don't accept cab rides unless you flag them down and make them run the meter. It's INCREDIBLY cheap to take cabs everywhere but only metered and only hailed. If they offer you a rate they are crooks.

Take a boat ride to the floating market. Yes you did just see a seven foot carp surface from the brown depths.

Good luck asking for both beer and water simultaneously anywhere outside of the city.

OOO nice recommendation on the cab rides... I've been told to use GRAB (like uber) to go anywhere instead...

Floating market is on the agenda as well as night market for sure! woot!

Dec 12, 2017

You're not spending nearly enough time in Chiang Mai.

OP
OP
rokkerkory

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Where in Bangkok? My wife and I were in the "old city" I believe it was called and we loved it there. We ventured one day into the newer I guess "downtown" area of Bangkok and didn't like it nearly as much. I guess the old city is more tourist friendly.

As far as the cab rides mentioned above, we just used the Uber-like app there. We did use tuk tuks every now and then and they probably overcharged us but it was still super cheap in USD.

We are staying at Athenee hotel? Not sure where exactly that is in Bangkok.

Also, def want to try Jay Fai place :D

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That sounds amazing.

Abraxas

Feb 16, 2018
Dallas
I loved Chang Mai, haven't been in 15 or so years... Theres the old walled city around the centre that's filled with markets, and a Buddhist temple up in the mountains.
I went to an elephant place up there where the elephants were painting and playing soccer. I'd reccomend it but I'm not sure how humanely the elephants were treated though :( I'd look it up but can't remember what it was called...

Edit: It looks like theres a few sanctuaries around, avoid the ones advertising rides, elephants shouldn't be ridden.

OP
OP
rokkerkory

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
I loved Chang Mai, haven't been in 15 or so years... Theres the old walled city around the centre that's filled with markets, and a Buddhist temple up in the mountains.
I went to an elephant place up there where the elephants were painting and playing soccer. I'd reccomend it but I'm not sure how humanely the elephants were treated though :( I'd look it up but can't remember what it was called...

Edit: It looks like theres a few sanctuaries around, avoid the ones advertising rides, elephants shouldn't be ridden.

Thanks for the tip