• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I'm planning on going on an a 7 day Alaskan cruise on the Norwegian bliss. We are stopping at Juneau, Skagway, Glacier bay, Ketchikan and Victoria. I'm saving up at least $500 for 1 or 2 excursions while there. What are must things to see and do over there? Any tips i should know ahead of time? I'm visiting on May 31st and this is my first time in Alaska. :)

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
The train in Skagway is awesome. Takes you way up into the mountains, about as far from civilization as you'll ever be. I saw a bear standing next to the tracks as we passed him.

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
Did you get a good deal? With the Coronavirus I imagine prices have gone down drastically.

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure when when whales come back up to Alaska but whale watching excursions are amazing.

Also the tramway/gondola in Junaeu is very nice.

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
The train in Skagway is awesome. Takes you way up into the mountains, about as far from civilization as you'll ever be. I saw a bear standing next to the tracks as we passed him.
That's definitely i want to do. The scenery just looks breathtaking from the pictures! :D
Did you get a good deal? With the Coronavirus I imagine prices have gone down drastically.
For everything(The cruise, flights, Taxi and tip) the total was about $2000 which i didn't think that was too bad for a 7 day cruise. We checked out Disney and there prices was so much more expensive.

Oct 27, 2017
I really want to do one of these. Do you mind saying how much the total cost is? Are you having to spend a lot on the plane tickets as well?

edit: nvm, saw above.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
It's expensive but a helicopter ride up there is amazing. Don't do ziplining. It's really terrible. Kayaking is also great (we got whales swimming near us).

Oct 28, 2017
A Google search later, whales will be back in Alaska by the time you arrive. Again, definitely consider a whale-type excursion.

Riddler

Oct 25, 2017
If you can try to Pan for gold. Did it near Denali so I'm not sure if your able too. Also taking a helicopter to a glacier(if still available) is fun.

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
A Google search later, whales will be back in Alaska by the time you arrive. Again, definitely consider a whale-type excursion.
Whale watching and the train ride in Skagway are the top excursions i want to do for sure.
If you can try to Pan for gold. Did it near Denali so I'm not sure if your able too. Also taking a helicopter to a glacier(if still available) is fun.
I have a fear of heights so anything with Helicopters is a no go for me sadly. :(

Coriander

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
My Alaskan cruise was beautiful, but even in the summer it was often incredibly cold and damp, and it often rained much of the time. Make sure to pack layers, and some kind of lightweight rain gear with a hood you can carry in knapsack would be a good idea.

Lombaszko

Oct 25, 2017
We rented Jeeps in Skagway, they gave us lunch in a cooler and just let us drive. It was amazing. Went into Canada, saw sled dog puppies, and the scenery was out of this world.
Would highly recommend!

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do what all tv Alaskans do - murder someone- flee in a seaplane then build a cool off grid sustainable house and catch and smoke absurd amounts of salmon to survive winter.

Oct 25, 2017
Do what all tv Alaskans do - murder someone- flee in a seaplane then build a cool off grid sustainable house and catch and smoke absurd amounts of salmon to survive winter.
I've only ever seen this Alaskan reality TV show which was enough for me:
alaskan-bush-people-cast.jpg

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
we hiked up to the upper dewey lake trail in Skagway, it took all day, but was free and the view at the top was INCREDIBLE.

tAoEioj.jpg

xDCFcGd.jpg

It's steep as fuck, but a well maintained trail, just bring lots of water and snacks for your way up, took us about 3 hours to get up and nearly 2 to get down (our legs were tired lol), but its doable while your ship is in port.

Last edited:

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I can't help you too much because I personally didn't go, but my parents did and they said it was breathtaking and spectacular. Enjoy it.

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
we hiked up to the upper dewey lake trail in Skagway, it took all day, but was free and the view at the top was INCREDIBLE.

tAoEioj.jpg

xDCFcGd.jpg

It's steep as fuck, but a well maintained trail, just bring lots of water and snacks for your way up, took us about 3 hours to get up and nearly 2 to get down (our legs were tired lol), but its doable while your ship is in port.
That looks incredible!
Now i'm legit hyped for this trip lol
Be prepared to get Corona-virus, and be stranded for several weeks.
A good excuse to be away from work at least. :x

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping to go on one next year. We had a choice between either a Western Caribbean cruise the first week of March or Alaskan in May. Went with the former due to timing.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That looks incredible!
Now i'm legit hyped for this trip lol

You should be, Alaska is absolutely breathtaking, we went in late august and were able to do a glacial ice cave hike and a number of other things along the way.

We did juneau/skagway/glacier bay/ketchikan.

Here's a few more pics from our trip to whet your appetite... also, these are unfiltered and uncorrected.. This is how it actually looked. The colors of the glacial water are indescribable.

zzRfI5A.jpg

byaTBTI.jpg

oap7wA9.jpg

MLtaLbI.jpg

wmPnwUT.jpg

Last edited:

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Train is awesome. We did whale watching in Victoria and Juneau. It's fantastic. If you go through Glacier Bay try to find a spot in your head where you want to stand on deck as you go through.

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
When in Juneau, go on a tour with Gastineau Guiding Company. They're excellent.

www.stepintoalaska.com

Juneau Excursions and Tours | Gastineau Guiding Company

Gastineau Guiding Company offers whale watching and hiking shore excursions for cruise passengers and private custom tours in Juneau, Alaska.

I'll echo others on Skagway - take the train ride. We did it in two segments - ride the train up partway, took a 4 mile hike through old growth forest, and then caught the train again to continue up towards the Yukon pass. We also saw a bear from the train.

I don't remember the name of the company, but in Ketchikan we went on a fishing trip that culminated with a trip to an island camp where they prepared a delicious meal of our catch. Nice warm fire, fresh hot coffee and camp made cobbler for dessert.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Go kayaking. We went on an Alaskan cruise and it was awesome.

I don't know if yours is going through a fjord, but DO NOT SLEEP THROUGH THIS. I went with my mother, brother, and wife, and my mother and brother slept through it because it was at 5am and they really missed out.

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Welp looks like my Alaskan cruise was cancelled and i'm disappointed. :( Really wanted to see it for the the first time with my father, but oh well what are you going to do? Damn you, Covid.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
Welp looks like my Alaskan cruise was cancelled and i'm disappointed. :( Really wanted to see it for the the first time with my father, but oh well what are you going to do? Damn you, Covid.
Yeah... if that cruise was still going, and I couldn't cancel, I'd be wearing a hazmat suit the whole time. Cruise ships are just the most terrible idea right now.

MidnightMania

Oct 31, 2017
Best excursion we had was one in Ketchikan where you go out and fish for an hour or two. They take you to a camp where the fish is filleted in front of you and is cooked. Your group gets to eat afterwards. I've never eaten fresh Alaskan salmon and other fish we caught before, there is nothing else like it.

Edit: Train in Skagway was interesting, whale watching in Juneau was quite a sight.