• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Coming from a game of 2019 to a game made in 2004 what do you expected?Still a masterpiece and one of the greatest games ever,if not the greatest.

dynamitejim

Oct 25, 2017
The "Survival" Resident Evils are still pretty actiony. They're purposefully made to be played multiple times. Learning the best routes and ammo/weapon types, what enemies are worth killing vs. which you should just run past, getting better ratings and finishing faster each play through. REmake 2 doesn't feel much different from RE4 on a second run.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
4 was made two generations ago while RE2make is made for the audience of today, you bet it's different.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I tried to play RE4 for the first time around 2014 and I hated the controls

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
RE 4 was a departure from the series at the point it was released. It's a action horror game, not a survival horror game where you need to conserve your resources, it was never meant to be that.

Total Cereal

Oct 28, 2017
RE4 is my favorite game, but I think I prefer REmake2 now. RE4 is so linear, whereas you're always having to plan out where you're going in RE2, especially when Mr. X is around. I like the gunplay more too, and the atmosphere is super creepy in comparison.

But RE4 is a masterpiece, so I think you should keep going. There are points in RE4 that I still dislike to this day, but the game is well worth playing through at least once if only to see where the franchise shifted.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Just replayed it for the first time in years when the RE Triple Pack came out on Switch, and I forgot how great the game is. I've played a lot of RE in 2019. REmake, REmake2, RE2, RE5, RER, and RER2. It absolutely is still a fantastic game. The pacing is so good. It's very much a game where I'll say I'll just play a few more minutes (thanks to sleep mode) and then an hour has passed.

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
There's nothing clunky about the controls though: those are pretty much perfect as the game is designed around them.

I can get what he's saying. I played RE4 for the first time about a year and a half ago. There was definitely a 30 min break in period where the controls really bothered me. After that they were completely fine.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Threads like this are so funny. They're like coping groups for people to repeat over and over how bad a critically acclaimed game must be so that they can feel better. Yeah I get it, not your cup of tea, because I certainly dislike games that are widely praised, but here we have revisionist history. "Never good." "Awful." Some funny stuff.

What's even funnier are the people who think RE4 was worse to play than the PS1 games. If you think the games before RE4 played better, then you must be on one. I love the older games and I don't mind tank controls, which RE4 even has through a different perspective, but you cannot expect to seriously deliver the opinion that somehow RE4 plays worse than its predecessors.

Dec 6, 2017
US
RE4 is an Action game, of course it throws ammo and shit at you. It's also an absolutely fantastic Action game, a super atmospheric and incredibly well-designed one.

Oct 25, 2017
Threads like this are so funny. They're like coping groups for people to repeat over and over how bad a critically acclaimed game must be so that they can feel better. Yeah I get it, not your cup of tea, because I certainly dislike games that are widely praised, but here we have revisionist history. "Never good." "Awful." Some funny stuff.

What's even funnier are the people who think RE4 was worse to play than the PS1 games. If you think the games before RE4 played better, then you must be on one. I love the older games and I don't mind tank controls, which RE4 even has through a different perspective, but you cannot expect to seriously deliver the opinion that somehow RE4 plays worse than its predecessors.
i can and will deliver that opinion

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
It controlled best on Wii btw.

People who haven't played that version seriously have no idea what they're missing. You had 100% accurate aim from any distance with any gun as long as it wasn't a recoil heavy weapon like the SMG. You could also snap to the point on screen you were aiming at without a hitch.

You could score nothing but headshot from across the level and it was fantastic.

Honestly one of the best control setups in any game ever.
Best version of the game without a doubt.

I love the beginning of the game, felt like the castle section dragged on a bit towards the end but the Verdugo boss fight is one of the most scary thing I experienced during the entire series. Except for the regenerators and the U3 I don't care for the Island section at all.

All in all I really like re4, but it feels a bit too long at parts.

Jun 23, 2019
There's nothing clunky about the controls though: those are pretty much perfect as the game is designed around them.

lol Agree to disagree. The controls were clunky when I originally played it on Gamecube in 2005 and I certainly don't like them now 14 years later.

This is certainly a hot take. I find it funny that some people can't fathom that a 14 year old game can't possibly be looked at without rose tinted glasses on and receive criticism. RE4 is not a perfect game and remaking it would serve to make it better than what it was before.

Abdulrahman

Oct 30, 2017
what the fudge...

RE4 is still great. From the pacing to the atmosphere. RE5 and 6 are jokes compred to it.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol Agree to disagree. The controls were clunky when I originally played it on Gamecube in 2005 and I certainly don't like them now 14 years later.

This is certainly a hot take. I find it funny that some people can't fathom that a 14 year old game can't possibly be looked at without rose tinted glasses on and receive criticism. RE4 is not a perfect game and remaking it would serve to make it better than what it was before.
I didn't say that it isn't outdated today. I am speaking about people who BACK THEN said they couldn't tolerate the game and found it terrible to play, but were presumably fine with the PS1 games. So your response to me was in vain because I never said that this game didn't age.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I don't hate RE4, but I do think that it's overrated. I feel they went too far in the direction of making it an action game instead of survival horror.
If anything though, I have renewed appreciation for a lot of the game after watching Giant Bomb play through it earlier this year.

If RE4 is not your thing, you might want to try REmake HD, as that's pure survival horror - though I suggest you stick with the 'tank' controls on d-pad rather than the 'modern' controls on the analog stick if you're looking for a challenge. The analog controls let you move far too quickly and dodge anything with ease.

I still find RE4 very playable. My problem lies with the right analog controls being crap in basically every version.
They need to rework that.
You're in luck - they did!

orig_449258892_fe5b976djd0.jpg

The controls are bad in every other version of the game though. I wish there was real mouse aiming on PC.
I don't mind not being able to move and shoot at the same time though - that's just how the game is built, and you'd break it if that changed.

Oct 31, 2017

Well, that's weird because I played it day one on GC and there was nothing clunky about the controls ! :P

In fact, the controls were so good for the time that a lot of developers were inspired by them.

I can get what he's saying. I played RE4 for the first time about a year and a half ago. There was definitely a 30 min break in period where the controls really bothered me. After that they were completely fine.

I bought the Wii version one year ago and it took me five minutes to get the controls. As long as you're open and take the time to learn the controls, you should be fine as shown with your post and mine.

Jun 23, 2019
I didn't say that it isn't outdated today. I am speaking about people who BACK THEN said they couldn't tolerate the game and found it terrible to play, but were presumably fine with the PS1 games. So your response to me was in vain because I never said that this game didn't age.

lol Your post was trying to lambast people who didn't agree with your notion that RE4 is a perfect game and anyone who didn't agree was in a coping group trying to convince themselves otherwise. You know what you said.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I... never got the RE4 acclaim. I played it at launch and wasn't blown away by it (the controls always felt scripted, stiff, and clunky to me thanks in part to the GameCube stick) and finally played it through to completion on PS4 a few years ago. I remember playing Uncharted in 2007 and thinking that the horror segments felt the way I wanted RE4 to control. It's also long. RE4 was a very important game, I can appreciate that, but it just never clicked with me.

Come at me, Naughty Dog hating Era.

Resident Evil 2 is basically a perfect game, imo. I adore it, top to bottom. Bravo, Capcom!

Last edited:

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow, I guess it is just surprising to me that people have as much trouble as they do going back to RE4, maybe it's because I like a lot of early 3D games so RE4 seems pretty refined in comparison.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol Your post was trying to lambast people who didn't agree with your notion that RE4 is a perfect game and anyone who didn't agree was in a coping group trying to convince themselves otherwise. You know what you said.
I clarified. I didn't say it was a perfect game. Don't put words in my mouth. I said compared to its predecessors it plays better and that people who think it's terrible when they put up with PS1 RE games are on something.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
I just don't get this game.
I've never liked it and I'd rather play RE5 because at least I can play it with a friend.

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
Not every game is for everyone, and for some the hurdle to adapt to the tank controls is too much (I'll never accept they're bad though, they're perfectly responsive and the gameplay systems are built entirely around them.), but I would urge it to give it a chance in its own terms, at least until the end of chapter 2.

Replaying it in 2017 after not having touched it since the gamecube days was a goddamn revelation. There's no action game that I know of that even comes close to have half of the variety of encounters that RE4 offers. Combined with a methodical combat system built around crowd control that to this day still feels unique and incredibly addictive, it's really something else.

It's the best game I've ever played, and I don't see it changing any time soon.

Total Cereal

Oct 28, 2017
Resident Evil 2 is basically a perfect game, imo. I adore it, top to bottom. Bravo, Capcom!
Assuming you're talking about the REmake, this point is honestly hard to argue IMO. When I initially played it, my only complaint was that it's short. But that makes it much more replayable, to the point where I can see myself wanting to learn the game front and back and try speedrunning it.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never accepted the notion that the controls are bad in a game , if it is completely designed around those controls. This is just a case of the many being used to modern design. Kind of like how many don't want to watch 4:3 content because 16:9 is the new standard. It simply doesn't take long to adapt to the older design. It might take a few hours at most, but after it clicks it is pretty much smooth sailing from there. RE4 had at the time the most forgiving controls in the entire series. It still used tank controls like the classic RE games, but since the game didn't use fixed camera angles they were much easier to deal with. Even slightly messing with the design like the Wii version did by making it easier to aim, it nearly broke the well balanced difficulty by making the headshots a breeze and it really ruined much of the tension. You had to get good at aiming in the original version of RE4 and that aspect is mostly gone in the Wii version. Just imagine how broken RE4 would be if it had modern RE2 Remake style controls. The RE2 Remake is completely different and many would argue, a much worse version of the original RE2. Thanks to some modern design sensibilities that didn't really benefit the Remake.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Yeah RE4 is so much cooler

When i started the second playthrough at the police station i was like this shit again

Last edited:

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
RE4 is an almost perfect game. It hasn't aged perfectly, but it's still a remarkably fun experience start to finish

Santerestil

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
RE4 had at the time the most forgiving controls in the entire series. It still used tank controls like the classic RE games, but since the game didn't use fixed camera angles they were much easier to deal with. Even slightly messing with the design like the Wii version did by making it easier to aim, it nearly broke the well balanced difficulty by making the headshots a breeze and it really ruined much of the tension. You had to get good at aiming in the original version of RE4 and that aspect is mostly gone in the Wii version. Just imagine how broken RE4 would be if it had modern RE2 Remake style controls.
Preach!

(and please use the return key instead of double space, it's better this way)

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
To stop this jarring nature, I think RE2, 3 and 4 all need modern remakes as they have gotten. And then it will blend together well. RE5 would look a lot better with RE4 as well

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
I can believe somebody in this thread said that RE2 and RE3 have aged better than RE4. My god, what a bad take

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
RE4 is much more action heavy, but it's also much longer than most RE games and constantly mixes up the engagements the entire way through. It's the poster child for godlike pacing in a game and is perfectly crafted around that.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
RE4 could definitely do with a modern reimagining. It doesn't have to completely change the look and feel of the game, but updated controls especially with a whole new sheen in RE Engine would do wonders.

Last edited:

Vyse

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Because of this thread they will remake 4 but it will come at a great price, Ashley will have a twin and the Krauser fight will be 4 times longer.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
The game just throws ammo at you. You're outside. With a mission seemingly unrelated to the overall lore and RE universe. Its weird. As much as I love RE5s stylized action oriented focus, it's off-putting in this game. I assume its cuz I have no co op partner to share that experience with. Since I'm alone and Given the location, I can't help but want more to do aside from kite a mob into a large group and toss grenades. You get the shotgun within seconds, too. Maybe I didn't know how much i'd prefer the classic survival horror tropes of OG Resident Evil til I played REmake2. I'm like a dog who's tasted blood. I want more of that. Please tell me the game gets great, era.

The game does not get more like RE2, if that's what you mean. It's a well paced action game that gives you a variety of weapons to dispatch waves of enemies and bosses. It's linear, straightforward, action set piece after action set piece, with the occasional puzzle to cut the adrenaline a bit. It's very much a "what you see is what you get" sort of game - the only "horror" comes from encountering a new enemy or situation, and dealing with the initial "oh shit!" shock of having to figure out how to deal with the new challenge as it tries to quickly destroy you.

Last edited:

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
I haven't played RE2 (or the remake), but I always enjoyed the pacing in RE4. It's almost perfect.

Apr 21, 2018
RE4s release on Switch is probably my 2019 GOTY.

Finally being able to play it on a handheld...*so good gif*

I don't know how RE4 does it. It just perfectly walks the line between having this seriously brooding and dread-filled and incredibly captivating atmosphere and setting, yet the characters and story are intentionally and incredibly fun and silly b-grade schlock, and though the two contrast each other, it never impacts the experience or hampers any part of it.

It's just perfection.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
You get the shotgun within seconds, too.
Not sure how this counts against the game. You get it super early on in RE2 as well: all you need is the Spade Key, then to grab the card key, and boom, you can obtain the shotgun from the safety deposit room. Hell, now that I think of it, you get the shotgun fairly early in almost every RE game. It's a fundamental weapon, so it makes sense that you would.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I felt the whole game went downhill after the village opening. You get so powerful so quickly that I spent the bulk of the game craving to be underpowered, outgunned, and shambling out of windows to scavenge ammo while escaping a horde.

Instead I spent most of RE4 on the offensive, pike driving and annihilating all after the first hour.

So I get it OP. I do like RE4, but my heart belongs to the more survival classic style.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I felt the whole game went downhill after the village opening. You get so powerful so quickly that I spent the bulk of the game craving to be underpowered, outgunned, and shambling out of windows to scavenge ammo while escaping a horde.

Instead I spent most of RE4 on the offensive, pike driving and annihilating all after the first hour.

So I get it OP. I do like RE4, but my heart belongs to the more survival classic style.
Yea, the castle section ends up being just too many barrages of enemies...and that's mostly it. It's not even scary or that tense, just tons of shooting. The island even more, but at there you have regenerators and iron maidens.