• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ars Arcanum

alt account
Banned
Feb 3, 2019
The game just throws ammo at you. You're outside. With a mission seemingly unrelated to the overall lore and RE universe. Its weird. As much as I love RE5s stylized action oriented focus, it's off-putting in this game. I assume its cuz I have no co op partner to share that experience with. Since I'm alone and Given the location, I can't help but want more to do aside from kite a mob into a large group and toss grenades. You get the shotgun within seconds, too. Maybe I didn't know how much i'd prefer the classic survival horror tropes of OG Resident Evil til I played REmake2. I'm like a dog who's tasted blood. I want more of that. Please tell me the game gets great, era.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was a huge departure from standard Resident Evil mechanics and it was exactly what the franchise needed at the time. It is, however, more of an arcade game than survival horror.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
games released 15 years apart tend to be different from each other

and now, the weather

Andrain18

Apr 19, 2018
Orange County CA
If you don't like it after the incredible opening with The Village, it probably aint for you. It's archaic, a bit goofy at times, and hot damn one of the best games ever made.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
RE4 inspired much of RE2's modern changes, but RE2 has the benefit of about 15 years of tech and improvements.

Azerach

Oct 29, 2017
RE4 has aged terribly. I played it after 5, which was somewhat likeable but nothing phenomenal. Even back then I questioned all the praise it had had before.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
They're different games. Ignore the name. Just trust the process and keep playing. The time to shotgun is in no way a measure of its design.

It's not as focused on being a survival horror game as much as it just wants to be a light-gun-shooter-inspired action game.

Ammo conservation and item management exist still, but they're balanced by the game's dynamic difficulty system rather than being a set hurdle you must make it over.

I'm playing the Remake of 1 right now, and I'm having a good time when the game's not being too 1996 about things.
I loved RE2 remake.
I loved RE4 the year before, despite thinking it felt archaic when it came out and not giving it a fair shot.

So even as someone who didn't like it, I found a new appreciation and respect for what it was doing and not too long ago.

It more than gets great. If there's any fault in it, it's that it's maybe too long by a few hours.
Just stop expecting it to be like the other games.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
RE4 didn't age well at all. I tried playing it but it's just so clunky.
I'd say the the three originals aged better then this one.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I still find RE4 very playable. My problem lies with the right analog controls being crap in basically every version.
They need to rework that.

I would love a remake, and after seeing Hellblade 2 on Series X I now have an idea how good that could potentially look.

Add in RE2make style controls and we have a winner.

I still find RE4 an exceptional experience to this day. Slowly playing my like 20th playthrough on the Switch port.

AppleMIX

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
RE2 is a survival horror game.

RE4 is a action horror game.

Apples and Oranges.

otretas

Nov 1, 2017
The game plays to its strenghts so well. Other people find jarring why cant you move while shooting, but the game is designed around that. Also, having played re2make i never ever had no bullets available. At times i had more than 1 stack of handgun bullets...,probably because i use the knives so much. I guess they have different playstyles in normal difficulty, but in the end they both become similar at the hardest difficulty.

Oct 27, 2017
It is a very different experience from classic RE but a very good game. It is one of the best games ever made and hasn't aged a day.

Play it without comparing to the past RE games and REmake 2. It is still a horror game but a very different type of horror. More about intense combat rather than puzzle solving and back tracking.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
It controlled best on Wii btw.

People who haven't played that version seriously have no idea what they're missing. You had 100% accurate aim from any distance with any gun as long as it wasn't a recoil heavy weapon like the SMG. You could also snap to the point on screen you were aiming at without a hitch.

You could score nothing but headshot from across the level and it was fantastic.

Honestly one of the best control setups in any game ever.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
It doesn't.

All the critical praise for the past 15 years

All the articles that call it one of the best action games, or even best game period

It's all an elaborate ruse specifically to bamboozle you OP

Sorry you had to find out like this.
To be fair, the things he's complaining about doesn't get better and the start of the game is pretty much the best location.

Last edited:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The game just throws ammo at you. You're outside. With a mission seemingly unrelated to the overall lore and RE universe. Its weird. As much as I love RE5s stylized action oriented focus, it's off-putting in this game. I assume its cuz I have no co op partner to share that experience with. Since I'm alone and Given the location, I can't help but want more to do aside from kite a mob into a large group and toss grenades. You get the shotgun within seconds, too. Maybe I didn't know how much i'd prefer the classic survival horror tropes of OG Resident Evil til I played REmake2. I'm like a dog who's tasted blood. I want more of that. Please tell me the game gets great, era.
It does.

Get to the castle and report back after unlocking a bigger arsenal.

To be fair, the things he's complaining about doesn't get better and the start of the get is pretty much the best location.

This isn't even close to being true.

BurnKnuckle21

Nov 17, 2017
I remember people in another thread saying 4 didn't need the REmake treatment but after playing it a few weeks ago I highly disagree. The aiming controls and movement have aged horribly.

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
RE4 was never great, it was good but has aged poorly. The opening in the village is the best part of the game, it only goes downhill after that.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
RE2make draws as much inspiration from RE4 as it does from the original RE2. The games are obviously 15 years apart, so you're missing all the advancements made in the last decade and a half when playing RE4, but don't be fooled... the foundation for RE2make was laid on RE2.

Jun 17, 2018
Outside of the fun motion controls on wii I couldn't stand RE4. I even bought it again on Xbox One just in case I thought I was missing something but no, not for me at all.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I remember people in another thread saying 4 didn't need the REmake treatment but after playing it a few weeks ago I highly disagree. The aiming controls and movement have aged horribly.
yep. RE4remake is definitely going to happen in the future because of this. probably not as fast a turn around as RE2 to RE3 remake (since those were being worked on concurrently), but that RE4 remake is coming.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil 2 remake is boring though, the zombies are just boring to deal with because they're bullet sponges, Mr X isn't scary and just makes puzzles annoying and the police station looks good in concept art and then in game they turn the power off, like darkness necessarily makes it scarier and it doesn't. Now Resident Evil 4, that's a fun game with plenty of variety and you can really appreciate how the setting is creepy, without just making everything dark.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Resident Evil 2 remake is boring though, the zombies are just boring to deal with because they're bullet sponges, Mr X isn't scary and just makes puzzles annoying and the police station looks good in concept art and then in game they turn the power off, like darkness necessarily makes it scarier and it doesn't. Now Resident Evil 4, that's a fun game with plenty of variety.

Geno knows what's up

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
RE4 is an action shooter, not survival horror that classic style Resident Evil is known for. It's about handling waves of enemies by repositioning yourself within the environments to pop off some shots before repositioning again and knowing how to maximize damage output to groups. (Also awesome boss battles)

It's not really about ammo conservation or navigating labyrinth-like maps or even managing inventory space. Once you get over what you expect RE4 to be and accept it for what it is, it is a great game. I've said it before that Resident Evil 4 is the best game with Resident Evil in the title but it does not fulfill the need for that classic RE gameplay the series was founded on.

I'm glad RE2 (and RE7) brought back the original gameplay of the series. It was sorely missed.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Sooo....

How would we feel is RE4 got remade and went in a pure horror direction? Removing abundant ammo and weapons(not totally and especially kitted out on a new game plus) and dialing down the action and the body count but making the enemies really threatening?

I always felt RE4 kinda ended up being a kids saturday morning cartoon of the horror genre(to be fair all the resi's are silly to some degree). I loved it but it kinda wanted to be a silly action game at times that RE5 took on really well. So we remade RE1 faithfully, we took some of the new DNA and made RE2 faithful but also not, should RE4 try and shake up what it is at heart more than just a graphical overhaul? Or how bout full actuon, guns blazing RE6 style. I'd personally hate that but whatevs.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
The game gets more action oriented as it goes on, so if you're not feeling it now I would just bail. That said, if you've already beaten RE5, this game is way way better than it.

As far as ammo goes, the game adjusts its difficulty for you so if you're planning well you'll get less drops. You're never gonna be totally out of ammo like you were in RE2 though.
Sooo....

How would we feel is RE4 got remade and went in a pure horror direction? Removing abundant ammo and weapons(not totally and especially kitted out on a new game plus) and dialing down the action and the body count but making the enemies really threatening?

I always felt RE4 kinda ended up being a kids saturday morning cartoon of the horror genre(to be fair all the resi's are silly to some degree). I loved it but it kinda wanted to be a silly action game at times that RE5 took on really well. So we remade RE1 faithfully, we took some of the new DNA and made RE2 faithful but also not, should RE4 try and shake up what it is at heart more than just a graphical overhaul?
Fuck no. It would completely change the game and break Mercenaries to boot. Enemies are already really threatening on Professional, they just need to unlock it from the get go.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

THANK YOU.

I absolutely hated RE4 when it came out and still to this day don't like it.

It completely changed the entire model/gameplay of the RE series, and on top of it, the story was nonsensical (but not in the cheesy RE way, just fucking stupid).

I was so happy to play as Leon again and then immediately let down. I liked RE5 more. RE7 is really the first one since Code Veronica that I have enjoyed a lot (I love the REMakes though).

Jaymageck

Nov 18, 2017
Toronto
These games all tried to find the balance of horror and action:

RE4,
RE5
RE6,
Revelations 1,
Revelations 2

Ignoring RE7 which is radically different, RE2 represents the first time they nailed the balance imo. And it's because they were forced to, because it was a remake.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I would say I liked the game more as it went on, however the last chapter is a mix of the best and worst of the game. If you're still not digging it by the time you really get into the castle, it may be time to move on.

Oct 25, 2017
t was the beginning of capcom thinking all RE fans wanted was action. i dont have fond memories of 4 because of my nostalgia for the original 3.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
RE4 was never great, it was good but has aged poorly. The opening in the village is the best part of the game, it only goes downhill after that.
Unpopular opinion, and I really liked the game at the time, but even back then I agreed with this. The opening village is 10/10 for me. The rest of the game tops out at a 9 but goes as low as 7.

greenbird

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017

This. Last time I tried playing it, I quit before getting out of the village. I just find no more joy or use for that game and will probably never play it again. I thought 4 wasn't very far from 5 in quality (perhaps 4 had better locations), so I was never on board with the difference in acclaim between those.

The original trilogy and Remake are still excellent though, timeless games more or less.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love RE4, but the people who think the game wouldn't benefit from a modern remake are crazy.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil 2 remake is boring though, the zombies are just boring to deal with because they're bullet sponges, Mr X isn't scary and just makes puzzles annoying and the police station looks good in concept art and then in game they turn the power off, like darkness necessarily makes it scarier and it doesn't. Now Resident Evil 4, that's a fun game with plenty of variety and you can really appreciate how the setting is creepy, without just making everything dark.
I literally just spent half an hour hiding in the dark room from MrX in RE2. My first time ever playing. So I am extremely confident in saying you are hella wrong on that one chief.

Jun 23, 2019

Thank you! I tried playing the game again recently and it has not aged well. The controls are clunky, the pacing that everyone says is perfect is actually not that good and there are several slow portions throughout the game, etc. Outside of 3, it's the game I want to see remade the most.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
Weird. I went back and replayed 4 recently after not playing it since the Gamecube and good god has it held up well.

The action is so satisfying. It's dripping with atmosphere. The difficulty is perfectly balanced as well imo.