• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Me with State of Decay after I found myself not liking the second game.

Most old games have aged poorly

It's weird isnt it?

Not true at all. Even some games from the PS2/Xbox era still look better than modern games with cutting edge graphical fidelity.

Something like Zone of the Enders 2 controls and plays better than the majority of modern mecha games.

Hell, Half-Life 2 plays better than a lot of modern shooters. Some games age gracefully, other don't. Just like all media.

Deleted member 23068

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Happens to me quite a lot when playing PS1/Saturn/N64 games. That era of early 3D games has mostly aged badly. :(

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Rarely happens to me. If anything I find it refreshing playing old games that do things differently to the modern standards that I sometimes tire of.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, that's RE4 and MGS3 for me. I've replayed these two for like a thousand time, going back for them last year wasn't a good choice tho. Well, at least that helped me to realize TEW > RE4 and MGS5 > MGS3

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Still loved Planescape Torment when I played it for the umpteenth time. Same with very old sims like Jane's fighters.

Acinixys

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
I had this happen to me with Dungeon Seige

I still have the original CD from the early 1990s

Loved it as a kid, hate it now. It still looks ok, but the controls are ass and there's no fast travel with 0.5 to 1 hour of IRL time berween towns, it can be very frustrating to move loot around

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
RE4 most recently. Gosh the aiming and gunplay has aged terribly, can't wait for the eventual remake.
Did you replay on a modern system/port? Because they suffer from large deadzones on consoles and that's why the aiming sucks. Unplayable for me on PS4 but the PC version played like a dream. I bet you would eventually adapt to the deadzones but I am impatient.

skysthelimit

Jan 16, 2019
How does FFVII hold up? I was planning on playing through before I get the remake but slightly concerned it won't live up to my memory of it. It was probably my favourite game ever til botw.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
I haven't really replayed games since the PS2/Xbox/GC era, but when the Bioshock collection came out, I was so excited to replay Infinite. That game absolutely blew my mind back in 2013, but three years later it was rough. I got about five hours in before accepting that I actively hated playing it and put it down. I felt so sad afterwards.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I played Halo Reach the other day....

Shooters have come a long way since Reach.

Dark Cloud 2 is one of my favorite ps2 games, but fuck, if I don't underestimate how huge that game is every time I try to replay it...

I just replayed Reach, and it made me realize how much less dynamic shooters have become.

Shooters really changed when they turned into "be visible, be shot". Halo has such a fun gameplay built on the weapons, grenades, melee and how the enemies are designed. I love how you have to look at every encounter, and start thinking "okay, first I take out these sniper jackals first with my pistol, use this weapon for that one, I run over there to dodge this weapon, I use this grenade on that vehicle, I aim there to get the jackals to drop their shields so I can headshot them, run over there to pick up the shotgun so I can take out the hunters in close quarters".

It's just so much more fun and dynamic than most shooters. I played the new Modern Warfare just a week prior to Halo Reach, and it was like night and day. Nothing in Modern Warfare is as satisfying. How effective your grenades will be is random, and all of the kills are just "wait for them to pop out, and shoot the head".

On-topic: When I played Halo Anniversary, I felt really let down by how limiting the battles felt. The series evolved so much with Halo 3 and Reach.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Glad this doesn't happen to Mass Effect 1. Ahhh, it's so janky but it always was. The graphics aren't cutting edge but they always looked a bit like animatronics, and the enemy AI was always as bad as it is now.

You know, Shooters haven't 'evolved' that much since Halo 2, or Modern Warfare, I'm not really asking much to begin with. Mass Effect 1 tells a good story the same way a good movie still tells a good story. Its flaws were always flaws. I can keep revisiting it year after year and there never was a point when I said "okay now it feels really dated".

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I'm feeling it right now with Force Unleashed. Loved that a game but playing it now feels very outdated and bit ugly. Fortunately, force powers and physics remain a highlight and are surprisingly more impressive than Fallen Order a decade later.

I feel it a lot more with NES/SNES/N64/PS1 titles. Just the lack of autosaves and having to start entire levels from the beginning drives me up the wall.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This was my experience with the Rare Replay Collection.

The only one I enjoyed was Perfect Dark, and that was largely thanks to the slightly updated controls, namely right stick camera controls — which I know was technically an option on N64 with two controllers but I never played that way back then.

I had played nearly everything else but everything else was almost immediately disappointing. :(

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Happens to me quite a lot when playing PS1/Saturn/N64 games. That era of early 3D games has mostly aged badly. :(

That reminds me, I actually avoid replaying N64 games just because of how absolutely ugly they are usually. Even emulation cannot fix them. PS1 games that have prerendered backgrounds still look good to me though emulated. Somewhat agree with Saturn games, but only regarding those in 3D. The Saturn was a fantastic sprite machine, and many of the games still look great today.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
I think that depends a lot on the game and on the person as well, for me Wave Race 64 still unmatched when it comes to controls and the graphics still look good too, but i know most people can't bear the low resolution and 20fps...

Oct 31, 2017
I really liked Rogue Galaxy the first time through, aside from that hateful final boss sequence.

Years later, I go back through it with my sister.

What the everliving fuck was wrong with me? This game is an overproduced slog with marathon dungeons. I sincerely hope time has not been kind to this game, because it doesn't deserve the accolades it received years ago. Utterly despondent shit, fucking hell.

One of the messiest combat systems I have ever encountered. So much wrong with it it isn't even funny. Dungeons were awful too. I had enough of the game when I realized I had to get a Key Card from the middle of copy-paste giant room #48483929 to gain access to the next area. I knew it wouldn't take longer than 10 mins but I just had more than enough

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah some older jrpgs I get this feeling. I got about halfway through ff2 and then later ff3 I only got life an hour into it and just got frustrated. Mind you I didn't feel this way with chrono trigger or suikoden 1 and 2. Maybe I was pissed by the random monster rate in the ffs? They just seemed slow and knowing how long they were made me feel overwhelmed

Suikoden 2 is longer than either of those and doesn;t exactly have a low encounter rate for battles, it's aged better because it actually has decent story and characters

Tarnpanzer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Body Harvest was one of my favourite games on N64. But the framerate for todays standards is very sluggish. Since I am from germany, the PAL-version was even more sluggish:

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
RE4 most recently. Gosh the aiming and gunplay has aged terribly, can't wait for the eventual remake.
The worst part here for me is that I originally played it on a CRT, so basically zero lag. Now I have no way of playing non-HD console games without it adding a bunch of input lag. Makes it hard to play things like RE4 and the Metroid Prime series

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I've never really gotten this feeling except for maybe the original Smash Bros. But I think that may be more of a case of the games that came after just being THAT good.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I've found returning to them while inebriated alleviated a lot of my criticisms. Playing PSX games while drunk let my brain just accept it for what it was and also loosened up my vision enough that the pixelated mess on a modern-ish TV can be fiiiiiine.

This is me recommending to drink and drive in Twisted Metal 2 and have a great weekend evening.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I have never experienced this. If there are antiquated mechanics or controls in a game. If I can play and enjoy a game the first time around, age doesn't suddenly make them awful.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have always gone back to older games so how they look and play is never a shock to me. If I enjoyed a game once, then chances are I still do.

This is me recommending to drink and drive in Twisted Metal 2 and have a great weekend evening.
That's what that game was for me back in the '90s, a drinking party game with friends. Good times.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Last of Us most recently, it was a lot uglier and stiff than I remembered.

the last of us is an amazing looking PS3 game, i think thats important to remember. Yeah the ps4 port improved the resolution and frame rate, but its still a ps3 game with ps3 enviroments and character models. That said i think visually its aged better than a lot of games from that generation, the only exception i can think of is halo 4, which i thought really looked a generation ahead of most other ps360 games at the time. Dont agree on it feeling stiff though, i beat it for the first time last year and thought even six years later it still played great. Mine would be mario 64 and sunshine. I know people still praise the movement depth in those games but i dont think either one of them feels great to play in 2020, especially after the movement bliss that was odyssey

Gizamaluke

Oct 28, 2017
Another for Resi 4 here. Really struggled with it and ended up dropping it. Incidentally I tried F.E.A.R shortly after and that has aged amazingly.

Cdammen

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I can't think of any. Even GoldenEye that runs at like 15fps in some cases. I guess because I keep the context that I'm playing an old game.

Sometimes it's the opposite. I was replaying Deus Ex recently and was so happy that the level of environment detail was low. I didn't need yo squint, or use some "super vision" ability to see objects, enemies, routes, and so forth. I like the low poly 3D look of early 00s games.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
How does FFVII hold up? I was planning on playing through before I get the remake but slightly concerned it won't live up to my memory of it. It was probably my favourite game ever til botw.

I just ran 100% of it. It didn't hold up for me.

Not a lot to find in the open world, a stupid plot, bad dialog and pep talks among the party between objectives.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how I was able to play the first Syphon Filter games. The controls are so bad.

dlemarc

Oct 31, 2017
It's not the case for me. I tend to accept games as they are and don't compare them to recent releases. It may take me a while to get back into the gameplay loop, though.