• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Sort of stopped playing DS titles after that amazing year of 3DS releases in 2013, so I decided to go back to playing them last week since I don't really have anything else to play, lol.

And man....it's been difficult.

Like I get this is handheld hardware from over a decade and a half ago, but wow, these games run SO slowly. Tried playing Luminous Arc 2 and while the presentation held up, the battles almost made me fall asleep. Almost everyone took forever to move and perform their actions. And this isn't a short game either, most of my friends have said it took them over 30 hours to complete it.

After playing for two hours, I just couldn't continue and moved onto some other RPGs, but the feeling was still there: these games just felt like they took forever to actually do anything.

Anyone else feel similarly about going back to RPGs on the DS? Or older consoles altogether honestly.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Been easy for me.

The DS RPGs I played this year were Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded and Tales of Innocence

I can play old RPGs fine, its bit of a hassle/grind compared to modern RPGs but still doable.

I'm planning to do some NES and SNES RPGs soon.

Last edited:

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Not at all. Try different games. The Dragon Quest Remakes are a good start. Final Fantasy XII-2: Revenant Wing is a gem. SMT: Strange Journey and Radiant Historia are also fantastic.

bunikerrim

Oct 3, 2019
I've played Chrono Trigger lately and it runs waaay faster than on the PS1, seems like a problem of the game in particular

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Even back then Luminous Arc is pretty slow for me. You want DS SRPG that run smoothly, play FFT A2.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I just started up playing Fantasy Life again on my 3DS and am totally hooked. So can't say I agree.

Granted, it's 3DS, but playing it in 2D mode.

SonicRift

Oct 27, 2017
I go back to the DS Pokemon games pretty frequently, and beyond a few QoL features that show up and disappear from this iteration to that, I don't really feel the age of them. Same goes for the Etrian Odyssey games.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
I go back to the DS Pokemon games pretty frequently, and beyond a few QoL features that show up and disappear from this iteration to that, I don't really feel the age of them. Same goes for the Etrian Odyssey games.
Not at all. Try different games. The Dragon Quest Remakes are a good start. Final Fantasy XII-2: Revenant Wing is a gem. SMT: Strange Journey and Radiant Historia are also fantastic.

Atlus, Pokemon, and Square Enix really had some amazing output on the DS. I miss Final Fantasy Tactics, now that was a SRPG that had good pacing.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Atlus, Pokemon, and Square Enix really had some amazing output on the DS. I miss Final Fantasy Tactics, now that was a SRPG that had good pacing.
Did you play Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (GBA) and Advance 2 (NDS)? Both are great as well. They don't have the serious setting and are more kid-friendy, but still very charming and great games.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
This happened to me when trying to play the first Trails in the Sky game. I was super hyped for it, but in practice it felt like a total slog. It isn't just an issue with the genre though, just certain games. I was replaying Cosmic Star Heroine and it is remarkably snappy. I wish someone would give Zeboyd games a AAA budget and let them run wild.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This happened to me when trying to play the first Trails in the Sky game. I was super hyped for it, but in practice it felt like a total slog. It isn't just an issue with the genre though, just certain games. I was replaying Cosmic Star Heroine and it is remarkably snappy.

I spent a lot of time looking at old SNES RPGs when making Cosmic Star Heroine and our action time in combat is a lot faster than most. It's been a couple years, but IIRC, an average move in CSH is probably at least twice as fast as an average move in Chrono Trigger since there's a lot of downtime in CT (moving to and from targets, slow animations, waiting for damage values to appear, etc.).

I remember noticing that SMT: Nocturne has a very fast action speed in combat. No running up to targets, just fast cuts to the character performing the attack & the on-target visual effect. It's a big reason why combat in that game feels so good. Modern Persona is pretty fast too although not as fast as SMT:N.

I wish someone would give Zeboyd games a AAA budget and let them run wild.

Me too! ;)

cyklisten

Nov 12, 2017
I´m kind of put off by the visual quality of the New 2DS XL. Coming from a Switch to that is.. not so good. The games are incredible though.