• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Don't really have use for the UI but love GoG. GOG is only store that actually lets you own the game and I support that idea.

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's still in beta stage and misses features that the Galaxy 1.2 has, but I can see it being a good option for a universal launcher at some point when it matures a bit. Main disadvantage over Steam will be that it's not cross platform and that nothing stops valve from implementing the same integrations as them, as well as features like BPM and steam input.

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
It looks nice, but 98% of my games are on steam so right now it seems this would just add an extra layer between me and launching a game.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
It opens the other launcher and either installs or launches the game in question. You can set it to close the other launcher in the settings menu:

PBGwVUs.jpg
Oooo this looks great. Some people are suggesting this doesn't work well yet though?

The bigger problem I have is my rural internet speed, and the frequency that launchers have an update to download and install every time I open them. And some launchers make you re-enter login details with every one of these updates (looking at you, Origin... what is the point of your "remember me" tickbox!?). So I can imagine if I have all those boxes ticked, then opening GoG would lead to several minutes of multiple concurrent downloads, with a bunch of pop up boxes asking for multiple login details =/

I get that this is more of an issue with the individual launchers themselves (and my download speed), rather than a GoG issue. Just makes me wish launchers updated less frequently, and they all remembered login details as well as Steam does.

jerkalerk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Swissendo

Oct 29, 2017
Need them to integrate twitch games into the launcher :(

Someone already made a plugin for that.

Personally, I've been using it for quite some time now and really like it. It's a neat tool to organise my whole game library, even if it can't "play" PSN/Xbox games (obviously). If someone creates a Switch-Plugin, I'm golden.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If I add my Steam games will it link to all the stuff it has in Steam? Like updates, guides, forums, achievements, workshop, etc?

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very happy using Big Box, the full-screen controller friendly mode of Launchbox. I load all my games in it, including emulators with their own platform videos, I have playlists, each game has its own background, cover art and short video. All the other launchers are just useless bloatware I have to leave running in the background when I start a game.

This

So much this. It's the real game changer for me. It's automated, connects to videogames databases for artworks, movie clips, descriptions, histories, integrates with all emulators, has custom lists, predefined genres, an amazingly deep skin customization features and so on

For 50$ lifetime it's incredible. And it can replace explorer.exe on startup so you never ever need to be on your desktop.

It also has universal controller support and replaces the mouse and keyboards with button combos

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I'm very happy using Big Box, the full-screen controller friendly mode of Launchbox. I load all my games in it, including emulators with their own platform videos, I have playlists, each game has its own background, cover art and short video. All the other launchers are just useless bloatware I have to leave running in the background when I start a game.

Would like to try it out. Where do I download it without giving my email address?

If I add my Steam games will it link to all the stuff it has in Steam? Like updates, guides, forums, achievements, workshop, etc?
It will basically start whatever launcher your game is tied to. GOG Galaxy has no front end/implementation of Steam's forums, guides, etc. So if you like to access those features, you have to use Steam. It will show you achievements, though and tracks time for platforms that support that (e.g. Steam, but not PS4). In a sense, Galaxy is "only" a launcher with some neat library and customization features. So instead of starting every launcher by yourself and then selecting a game, you can do this for all your games with GOG. Of course you could do that just by pressing Windows key and typing the first letters of the game you want to play and Windows does the rest. But you don't have the library feature (with categories etc.), tracking and achievements feature.

Last edited:

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
No Battle.net sucks for me, but I do love the client

OP
OP
Sankara

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
You got an answer for this, Sankara ?

No, it takes the same time as always to install. Whether it's GOG or Steam or Uplay, when I had to click the Install button on a game, it was pretty fast in responding.

No Battle.net sucks for me, but I do love the client

Battle.net works, you just have to manually download the plugin and put it into your folder https://github.com/FriendsOfGalaxy/galaxy-integration-battlenet/releases

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
Sankara

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
Tried that, didn't work for me for whatever reason

Download the windows.zip. Extract the files into the C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\GOG.com\Galaxy\plugins\installed\Battle.net\ (you may have to create the Battle.net folder)

Then restart GOG Galaxy or your computer.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Playnite is still better. GOG Galaxy at this point is going to come out later then CP2077

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Eh, I'm in the beta by a lot of time and only started a couple of times.

The point is that if I already know what to play there is no point to open GOG galaxy for let him open the Epic Store for Celeste.

It would only make sense to have GOG open on startup but then you always have this in the background... I don't know... it's really cool for see the game collection, especially with PS4 games too (why no PS3?) but yeah, not so usefull in daily gaming sessions.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
If they ever add a big screen mode I'd seriously consider using it full time.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
So if someone steals your GOG account they get everything linked to it? This might make GOG accounts pretty popular among the wrong crowds.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, can't wait since I use so many different apps, and use the start menu for a lot of things.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Just connected all my accounts and this is super cool, love seeing all my games in one place. One question, I see Smash Ultimate in recommended games, how do you connect/add Nintendo accounts?

Does it include delisted games (psn/live) in the library? D:
Just did a quick test, and yes it does. Starblood Arena shows up even though it's been delisted from PSN. Might be different for other stores though.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can you disable this miniature pictures overview? Designwise that's my absolute worst nightmare. I just want a small, tiny list of games like METRO small mode offers for example.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Just connected all my accounts and this is super cool, love seeing all my games in one place. One question, I see Smash Ultimate in recommended games, how do you connect/add Nintendo accounts?

Just did a quick test, and yes it does. Starblood Arena shows up even though it's been delisted from PSN. Might be different for other stores though.
Wow! That's amazing. Time to sign up. :D

SpoonSpatula

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks to everyone who suggested the Playnite app. Started using it yesterday and it's pretty useful.

It has some features that Playnite doesn't, but overall I prefer Playnite - faster, cleaner, UWP games are easy to add (which is important as I'm a Game Pass subscriber).
Is there any way to get Playnite to launch the Xbox Beta app when launching a game from Game Pass? It appears as if it bypasses the app when it launches the game.

*edit* Under settings, it looks like there is a way to add an additional 'action' on a per game basis. Although can't find any way to launch the Xbox beta app with a exe file.

Last edited:

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I wish there was a way to integrate Nintendo eShop/myNintendo, if only to catalogue your library of games on that platform too.

elcook_GOG

PR rep at GOG
Verified
Sep 6, 2019
Just dropping by to let you know we've just released an update to GOG GALAXY 2.0 that adds some big features like Global Search through your friends as well as for all games in existence, and the ability to add games manually and linking .exe files to launch it via the app. We'll also start sending more invites if you're not in yet. Let us know what you think!

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just dropping by to let you know we've just released an update to GOG GALAXY 2.0 that adds some big features like Global Search through your friends as well as for all games in existence, and the ability to add games manually and linking .exe files to launch it via the app. We'll also start sending more invites if you're not in yet. Let us know what you think!

Can I add like the Bethesda Launcher?