• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
I got into the beta for Galaxy 2.0 and I have to say, it is incredible and it's still only in beta. Sure, there might be bugs and some features still missing, but it's so comforting to have everything collected under one launcher. It's easy and simple to integrate your other accounts across Epic, Origin, Uplay, Battle.net, Steam, GOG itself, and even PSN or Xbox Live. The UI is fast and snappy, you can easily tag a game through a few clicks, almost all the games have beautiful artwork attached to them (icon & background) and it also tracks your playtime even though you're using a different launcher. It is without a doubt the best launcher I've ever used and once bug fixes and feature-sets are complete, I'll definitely just use that one to track and organize my library. It makes it a lot easier to track all your games, it gives a good overview of what you have, and you can easily sort and search it without much hassle. The other launchers are fast to launch and you don't really even notice that you're going through Origin or Uplay or whatever.

Example of a zoomed-out library overview with right-click options to illustrate what you can do
1n0kzZP.jpg

Background artwork for a game, works on all games no matter the launcher:
C4Q42UT.jpg

Then it gives you a nice option if you want to customize your game with different types of art:
VRbU7Bz.jpg
aCuQMfl.jpg

Once this becomes a public release, I highly encourage anyone with multiple launchers to get on it - and it even works extremely well as a backlog/library organizer too!

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I love it. Took what Playnite started and improved upon it tons.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Does it still take so much longer to download and install games from it compared to non-Galaxy files? I tried installing a game from it some weeks back, and it was so long that I canceled it and got the regular executable instead.

Oct 27, 2017
So what happens when you try to install or play stuff not from GoG. Does it just open the corresponding launcher and let it stay open in the background even after ending the game or did they find a smarter solution?

OP
OP
Sankara

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
So what happens when you try to install or play stuff not from GoG. Does it just open the corresponding launcher and let it stay open in the background even after ending the game or did they find a smarter solution?

It opens the other launcher and either installs or launches the game in question. You can set it to close the other launcher in the settings menu:

PBGwVUs.jpg

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I'm really not finding any utility to GOG Galaxy.
The only usefulness is having a centralised library to look at. It does this really well. Best of all is a having a unified place for tracking gameplay time - IF the platforms of those games supported that. However, I don't also expect much else beyond this.

With regards to PC games, I find I only want to use the service with the most utility, which is Steam by a massive margin.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
How do I connect my other accounts? I couldnt find in the site, downloaded the app and still cant find.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
If somebody can figure out an elegant way to integrate Steam Input and the overlay for non-Steam games launched via Galaxy 2.0 it will be a gamechanger for me. As it is though, I'm too reliant on these two features to ever fully commit to a non-Steam launcher.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
Can you add standalone games to the library the same way that you can Steam and launch them through GoG? Also how does it integrate with PSN and XBL, just pull the public statistics and playtime?

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
The interface looks attractive, and I can understand the point of linking Steam, Uplay, Origin, and other PC gaming services. What is the purpose of linking PlayStation Network or Xbox Live? Does it show your game purchases, or connect you to the respective online marketplace? Or is this possibly intended to prepare for some future functionality, such as streaming services?

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do I connect my other accounts? I couldnt find in the site, downloaded the app and still cant find.
On the app. At the top of the screen where it says "Add games and friends" then click on connect platforms. Or on the top left with the gear icon. Then click connect platforms.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
It needs:
  • In launcher store views for uPlay, Steam, GoG, Origin, Epic, and others
  • Big Picture Mode
  • Support for plugins so people can make it a launcher for emulators and roms
They're playing catch up to Launchbox and Playnite right now, hopefully they eclipse it quickly, or once it comes out of private beta.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks good.

I just want a gaming plex type system. Let me add games from different services, automatically pull art/details for it and let me stream them to my TV.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
Does this work with the Twitch games launcher as well? Got a few games from twitch prime I never touch because I keep forgetting I have games on there too.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
I got into the beta but wonder how people already got Switch games to appear as I see Astral Chain on the games playing list.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
It needs:
  • In launcher store views for uPlay, Steam, GoG, Origin, Epic, and others
  • Big Picture Mode
  • Support for plugins so people can make it a launcher for emulators and roms
They're playing catch up to Launchbox and Playnite right now, hopefully they eclipse it quickly, or once it comes out of private beta.
I haven't heard of those other launchers myself but I second the ability to launch emulators and roms. Would be sweet.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't heard of those other launchers myself but I second the ability to launch emulators and roms. Would be sweet.
They're the two headliners when it comes to unifying launchers right now, though the latter has more features geared toward people who're into older titles and emulation. Also has a BPM and custom themes. But it also costs money.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
They're the two headliners when it comes to unifying launchers right now, though the latter has more features geared toward people who're into older titles and emulation. Also has a BPM and custom themes. But it also costs money.
Glad to see there are options out there for this. As someone who gets every free game anyone's giving out this is useful. lol

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I want in :^(

I've had their client installed and running in the background for years and years but still no invite for me unfortunately.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
User warned: driveby trolling
So GOG's client is way improved and basically a game changer, Epics exclusivity deals and cut % have been changing the pc landscape, and Valve has done.... nothing.

I feel like Valve needs to do something at some point.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Galaxy for linux has been topping the community wishlist for a hundred years until it was recently unseated by galaxy 2.0 for linux. JUS SAIYAN.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
What's the purpose of linking all those otehr services to it even consoles? I can udnerstand linking consoles profiles to services like uplay or Orgin since both Ubisoft and EA have games on consoles so you won't have to log in in those games every time you play them on consoles but what for GOG? Any benefits from doing that?

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not very happy with the current implementation

It's pretty RAM/CPU intensive to have so many launchers open - GOG needs to operate without other launchers as a pre-requisite.

edit - and yeah the open/close launcher option doesn't really work consistently.

Aside from that, things have been on the slow end for a while - but we're supposed to get a major update soon.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
been using it for weeks and love it.

i just wish they'd update it so the clients will automatically close when you quit a game. the option is right there in the settings but it's not working right now.

I'm not very happy with the current implementation

It's pretty RAM/CPU intensive to have so many launchers open - GOG needs to operate without other launchers as a pre-requisite.

edit - and yeah the open/close launcher option doesn't really work consistently.

Aside from that, things have been on the slow end for a while - but we're supposed to get a major update soon.
the launchers only open if you launch a game. when you exit the game you need to manually close the launcher. so yeah of course if you don't close them it'll use more processes.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm very happy using Big Box, the full-screen controller friendly mode of Launchbox. I load all my games in it, including emulators with their own platform videos, I have playlists, each game has its own background, cover art and short video. All the other launchers are just useless bloatware I have to leave running in the background when I start a game.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
If somebody can figure out an elegant way to integrate Steam Input and the overlay for non-Steam games launched via Galaxy 2.0 it will be a gamechanger for me. As it is though, I'm too reliant on these two features to ever fully commit to a non-Steam launcher.

I'm in the same boat. Perhaps someone could make some sort of integration that launches GloSC or something when you launch a non-steam game (particularly through Origin) through 2.0. There's gotta be some way to make it all work neatly with Steam input, eventually.

Maybe Steam will some day see the value in a universal launcher and add that type of support.

And maybe someone will eventually just go a step further and make a universal store / launcher so you can do everything from a single place.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Once this becomes a public release, I highly encourage anyone with multiple launchers to get on it - and it even works extremely well as a backlog/library organizer too!
But... why? The best part about GoG for me is that launcher is completely optional and not needed to play the games. This is such a stand out feature in today's gaming landscape obsessed with launchers.