• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Devotion is a really good horror game, too. Everything surrounding this little gem just sucks.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
This is a blatant lie for multiple reasons. One being that a lot of "GamersTM" have a virulent xenophobic hatred of China and a lot of people have a non-xenophobic hatred of CCP's censorious policies that ban criticism of the government.

Oct 27, 2017
So the Eurogamer post on this explained to me that GOG would be pulled from China if they published it.

Some part of me feels sorry for a lot of the people working there but I also think that with everything that has happened in recent years there is just something not right with this company's management and they deserve it (the backlash). Who knows if their bottom line will be effected in the long term, I kinda doubt it tbh.

Last edited:

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Humble Bundle should reach out to the devs/publisher and look into doing something. If they would even be interested.

Morzak

Oct 27, 2017
Why even think about Publishing the game, when you already know what reaction will come from the Chinese Government...... That is a huge PR disaster and again shows, that the CCP has way to much sway over Businesses.

Oct 25, 2017
Doesnt matter if they can or cant go against China's wishes. Dont give us a yellow smile and say GAMERS tm demanded it instead

This is bigger than gaming and if you take a level headed moment, you can obviously see why that excuse was used. They can't put out a statement that's says "China made us do it" and they certainly can't say "Chinese gamers made us do it"

So taking the stance of being ambiguous without offending is all they could do. This isn't a public dispute between CDP and Activision, but a gaming company against a government power house.

Yep what I think too. Theyre not gonna say that out loud. China is going to be a huge problem for the videogame industry if nothing is done, and theres not much you can do as long as devs and stockholders keep taking their blood money.

Exactly. It's not even censorship at this point, it's removing any type of criticism. It can't be a joke, it can't be something slightly negative and it certainly can't be meaningful. They wipe anything that may cause doubt or challenge to their regime and strong arm it. This cannot keep happening, especially when many other countries do not do this as well.

If china keep creeping their fingers and dollars in video games, we have a huge fucking problem moving forward. Which is far more negative than our typical back and forth on goodwill and nickle and diming technique's.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I just got the rundown, and I remember watching a video on a novel and interesting game from Taiwan. Didnt realize that was Devotion, and now I'm upset. Fucking CDPR and all the goodwill they pissed away.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
This is bigger than gaming and if you take a level headed moment, you can obviously see why that excuse was used. They can't put out a statement that's says "China made us do it" and they certainly can't say "Chinese gamers made us do it"

So taking the stance of being ambiguous without offending is all they could do. This isn't a public dispute between CDP and Activision, but a gaming company against a government power house.

This have nothing to do with being level headed or not. I know they can't throw China under the bus, but that doesnt mean i should be happy they're throwing common folk instead. I'm seeing zero reason to look at this with the viewpoint of "oh thats fine, they're saying i'm to blame, but they can't really say its china right? so its cool"

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Like P.T. it's been heavily pirated, but this would have been the first time it was legally available to buy anywhere since it was first taken down shortly after launch in 2019.
Ooof. I wonder if they can get it back onto Steam or if that's a lost cause now. Epic obviously is out of the question. Maybe one of the smaller stores would take a flyer on it if they don't have a big Mainland market.

Oct 25, 2017
This have nothing to do with being level headed or not. I know they can't throw China under the bus, but that doesnt mean i should be happy they're throwing common folk instead. I'm seeing zero reason to look at this with the viewpoint of "oh thats fine, they're saying i'm to blame, but they can't really say its china right? so its cool"

I believe chinese gamers (the largest in the world) were actually review bombing this game which makes the statement accurate. They know and some of us apparently know that it definitely wasn't us... because we are obviously not the joke here.....

So if you do the process of elimination...I mean...you have your answer. It's that simple.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Xi Jinping was trending on twitter because of this but it's much crazier than that. Legitimate concerns are getting swallowed up by people just attaching China to anything they don't like.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Only noticed after this thread that there's another thread stating it's been re-estated which seems to be posted before this one. Sorry if I missed it, but is there a timeline of events for events? Like, was this removed twice?

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
gP1v3L7.jpg

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Only noticed after this thread that there's another thread stating it's been re-estated which seems to be posted before this one. Sorry if I missed it, but is there a timeline of events for events? Like, was this removed twice?
Devotion was released back in early 2019 on Steam, but their publisher pulled it shortly afterwards when the (very innocuous) joke comparing their president to Winnie the Pooh was found by Chinese players. Since then it's not been available anywhere legally barring a timed limited edition Taiwain-only physical copy until today's announcement that it was coming to GOG (which CDP have now decided won't happen)

Last edited:

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Devotion was released back in early 2019 on Steam, but their publisher pulled it shortly afterwards when the (very innocuous) joke comparing their president to Winnie the Pooh was found by Chinese players. Since then it's not been available anywhere legally until today's announcement that it was coming to GOG (which CDP have now decided won't happen)
Thanks!

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Devotion was released back in early 2019 on Steam, but their publisher pulled it shortly afterwards when the (very innocuous) joke comparing their president to Winnie the Pooh was found by Chinese players. Since then it's not been available anywhere legally until today's announcement that it was coming to GOG (which CDP have now decided won't happen)

How is it not available legally in Taiwan? That's surprising.

Not sure why Red Candle wouldn't just make available to purchase and download directly from them, tbh.

KG

Banned
Oct 12, 2018
CDPR really are pathetic. Using "gamers" as an excuse. Suck a pinecone covered in honey Xi ya Winnie the Pooh looking ass.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Wow fuck off. For a store that really tried to sell itself on pro-consumer stuff, nice to see that ends as soon as it makes Xi Jinping cranky.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Wow, fuck CD Projekt. Do they think we're stupid? Who are they trying to kid with "messages from gamers"? Was really looking forward to finally being able to purchase Devotion.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
CDPR batting 1000 lately

*Insert Harvey Dent villain quote here*

Can't believe they caved to China.....do they have a big presence there?