• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

XNihili

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
If Mainland Chinese netizens can force Western developpers to change their own games and deny their own free speech value, what do you think they will do about a game from a country they believe that belongs to them ?

Booya_base

Oct 31, 2017
Jersey
That is like a parody tweet! There is zero chance this is because of gamers. Also, who doesn't publish a game because some gamers don't want it? By that logic nothing would ever be published.

Oct 28, 2017
I hate to say it like this but China cannot continue to get away with shit like this. The company cannot outwardly say who forced their hands. Regardless of CDP being a crappy company, this one obviously isn't there fault. The CCP remains disgusting.....
Yep what I think too. Theyre not gonna say that out loud. China is going to be a huge problem for the videogame industry if nothing is done, and theres not much you can do as long as devs and stockholders keep taking their blood money.

kaputt

Oct 27, 2017
It's so sad the great IPs like The Witcher and Cyberpunk are held by these assholes. Fuck them

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
Can the devs sell the game on their own website? Or how about a platform like itch.io?

Humble Widget (derived from Humble Bundles) allows credit card fraud protections and takes care of payment processing to sell you game on your own site in exchange of 5% fees.

But the dev's original tweet said GOG was "publishing" it so maybe there was more that was lost there (having a partnership with a storefront is important).

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Can the devs sell the game on their own website? Or how about a platform like itch.io?
Theoretically it could go on itch, but itch is a small company run by a handful of people and they may not have the bandwidth to handle the inevitable shitstorm that would come from hosting a game as controversial as Devotion.

Worth noting that Spencer Hayes, who handles business stuff for itch, posted this recently and then very quickly deleted it:

spnkr.png

Which to me says they're at least looking into it but I would not be shocked at all if nothing comes of it (hence the quick deletion).

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty obvious Valve doesn't want the game on their platform. Why else would the new release have been exclusive to GOG in the first place?
How can we know if no one says anything? They are not breaking any agreement by saying that they got denied by Steam, plenty of devs have. I'd love it if they told us if it's the case so we rightfully can sling shit their way too.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
It's pretty obvious Valve doesn't want the game on their platform. Why else would the new release have been exclusive to GOG in the first place?

I would assume because the rights and publishing management for this game has become a nightmare to deal with. GOG took it upon themselves as a headliner for their store, and were in fact the new publisher IIRC, but has of course backed out. Valve doesn't go out of their way to court "darlings" and publish games themselves.

That said, if the rights and publishing situation was "resolved" to a degree where the game was resubmitted to be sold on Steam, I do genuinely wonder if Valve would host it again.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
CDPR taking L's day by day since launch is some hilarious shit lol. Who in their fucking mind would believe 'gamers' would stop a game to be released?

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I hope the developers are able to find a way to sell the game again, shame on GOG for trying to pull this on us. Just say it was "due to external pressures" rather than trying to pass the blame over to the audience excited to play it.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
watching cdprojekt's gamer first facade crumble within a week has been interesting

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
what were they doing? i hadn't followed anything on cyberpunk until right before launch.
www.resetera.com

CDPR is a transphobic company. It's time we stop making excuses for them.

Preface: To avoid the usual suspects I want to start out by saying that you are not being shamed for your purchase of Cyberpunk 2077. If you feel slightly bad about buying the game as a result of the issues being highlighted then, honestly, good. Interfacing with problematic products should...

The threadmarked stuff in the OP, the ones posted in the replies to you, trying to pin refunds onto MS and Sony, there's a long list.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
It's wild that they've pissed off everyone. They need restructuring. Awful company.
Honestly, to me it's wild that the "we care about YOU!" facade lasted this long. Their marketing department has always been blatant pandering.

Not me.

I think the outrage over CDPR is embarassing to watch.
Please, explain. If you're going to make a post like this I would hope you're willing to back yourself up.

Last edited:

senj

Nov 6, 2017
So is this available anywhere else? Wikipedia seems to suggest Valve already bowed to the same pressure and removed it from Steam?

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Posting transphobic shit and leaning into GamerGate talking points.

oh sure, i knew about those. the assume gender, helicopter and peeing on gaming journalism tombstone tweets. pretty sure it's been known for years not months about their transphobic/garbage social media posts and little internal action against them. it's more that those are things that "gamers" probably don't care about unlike buggy / broken games or raging against an easy target like the ccp and inclusivity was never really their selling point for their games or platform - the whole gamer first dog and pony show was.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So is this available anywhere else? Wikipedia seems to suggest Valve already bowed to the same pressure and removed it from Steam?
As been told several times, they removed it themselves. There is no info regarding if they have resubmitted the game or anything like that.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
Here's some context:

Devotion (Chinese: 還願; lit. 'Fulfill a vow') is a first-person psychological horror video gamecreated and developed by Taiwanese game developer Red Candle Games for Steam. It is set in Taiwan in the 1980s, with a majority of the game happening in an apartment complex in Taipei. The game also incorporates elements based on Taiwanese culture and folk religion. The game was released on February 19, 2019, but was removed from Steam shortly afterwards on February 26, after the game was review bombed by Chinese players due to a controversial reference to Xi Jinping.[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][3][/SUP]

Okay, this explains things. I watched a playthrough of this on YouTube. It looked like an interesting game. I am sad that China can just put its foot down like this.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
The statement comes across as very cowardly. They seem to be really good at passing the buck to someone else. They did the same with the refunds for CP2077.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
oh sure, i knew about those. the assume gender, helicopter and peeing on gaming journalism tombstone tweets. pretty sure it's been known for years not months about their transphobic/garbage social media posts and little internal action against them. it's more that those are things that "gamers" probably don't care about unlike buggy / broken games or raging against an easy target like the ccp and inclusivity was never really their selling point for their games or platform - the whole gamer first dog and pony show was.
I consider bigotry towards LGBT+ gamers and other marginalized communities to be anathema to anyone who claims they are "gamers first".