• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bish_Bosch

Apr 30, 2018
Isnt it already xenophobic when GOG says its because of "Gamers" meaning Chinese gamers, when there is almost no discourse about this topic at all in chinese social media outside of a few posts?
This feels like putting the blame on people that were not actually at fault.

Possibly? Though I kind of think a lot of the gaming industry cynically uses twitter chatter as a way to cover their asses not just in this case. It's similar to a lot of the discourse of how TLOU2 was "controversial" which right-wing game sites use to shut down all discourse on it. But I meant things like how people tend to blame the Chinese market for a lack of LGBTQ+ representation in media properties when that's not really the case.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Streisand Effect doesn't really matter when you literally can't get the game unless you resort to piracy, and in that case the dev sees no direct monetary support and is therefore still punished, which is the whole point of this.

Yeah I get it punishes the developers, but if your issue is you don't like being slighted or made fun off, then drawing a ton of attention to that doesn't seem worth it when at best a few thousand people would have even found the image in the game had you just let it fly

Now hundreds of thousands of people will probably see a picture of the leader of China next to a cartoon bear and think, "yeah they do look alike"

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
hey epic you wanna actually do something helpful and make a splash with your store that will drive sales? maybe even line up with your hamfisted government censorship message you keep using

except also cowards

Tencent owns almost half of Epic's shares, so they're even less likely to sell the game than GoG.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people shitting on CDPR and not Steam and other storefronts?
Because we don't have proof that other storefronts denied the game? We don't know if they applied to get on Steam, Epic etc., only GOG. It was on Steam before with a publisher that decided to take it off the store, not Valve.

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
I do think there is some truth to them pinning this on "gamers".

Imagine you lived in a country where the equivalent of the red MAGA hats/trump cultists made up 90% of the population, and some anti-trumper equivalent made a game with anti-trump sentiments. The gamer red hats would not stop until that game was taken down and the companies would give in.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
The obviously made the mistake of thinking Chinese authorities had forgtten about this by now and would be able to release it without incident, then found out otherwise as soon as they announced it

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
It was shitty of CDPR to tug their tail but yeah, every storefront out there is seemingly avoiding this game
Well for one we don't know who they applied with besides GOG. For two, Steam is not viable because the Chinese publisher that pulled the game originally still likely owns the publishing rights on that platform. Epic is already hated and half the company is owned by Tencent.

Dunno why people are so ready to defend CDP and it's related subsidiaries when they have all been garbage for years now.

Deleted member 22002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's not even the fact they're cowards, because it's understandable from a safety and economic point of view.

But the sheer insult on everybody intelligence with that pathetic "gamers" lie. Fuck this company.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
It was shitty of CDPR to tug their tail but yeah, every storefront out there is seemingly avoiding this game
This game was pulled from storefronts due to a lack of publisher, and many of them got flack for delisting it in the first place. People are mad at CDP right now because of the hasty announcement of publishing responsibilities and then retraction.

Red Candle hasn't even pulled their tweet. It seems like they had no official communication about this decision yet. That is why people are dragging CDP. It is extremely spineless to go on the horn to say you are rescuing a beloved and intriguing game for good PR only to then pull back less than a day later because of nebulous, undefined "gamer" complaints.

The original delisting was slightly different. No specific store pulled it down due to complaints, it was pulled down because no one was publishing it.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
lol. cdpr has had quite the year.

i really wonder why that don't rerelease on steam. i guess it might get reviewbombed again or something. seems like they're out of options though

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
After messages from chinese gamers you mean, more specifically the hardcore gamers from the CCP.

Fuck Steam, fuck Valve, fuck GOG and fuck CDPR. Epic Games of course is not gonna publish that game on their store...

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Very disappointing. Was looking forward to trying it out. Least they could do is be straight with the reason rather than some laughably vague deflection.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
This game was pulled from storefronts due to a lack of publisher, and many of them got flack for delisting it in the first place. People are mad at CDP right now because of the hasty announcement of publishing responsibilities and then retraction.

Red Candle hasn't even pulled their tweet. It seems like they had no official communication about this decision yet. That is why people are dragging CDP. It is extremely spineless to go on the horn to say you are rescuing a beloved and intriguing game for good PR only to then pull back less than a day later because of nebulous, undefined "gamer" complaints.

The original delisting was slightly different. No specific store pulled it down due to complaints, it was pulled down because no one was publishing it.

Spot on.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Good point.

Edit: Yes, now its coming back. Been a while. I wonder if the developer could independently publish this on Steam.

I think that depends how the contract situation still looks like.

After messages from chinese gamers you mean, more specifically the hardcore gamers from the CCPP.

There is literally no evidence that it was chinese gamers that demanded this to be taken off. Just check out Chinese social media....

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I don't think CDP actually released a statement announcing the game? It almost seems to me like CDP forgot until Red Candle made the announcement.

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
i really wonder why that don't rerelease on steam. i guess it might get reviewbombed again or something. seems like they're out of options though
Steam has a history of not publishing games with anti-CCP messages in them

gizmodo.com

Why Won’t Steam Approve These Games Supporting Hong Kong Protestors?

Last year Valve proclaimed that it would allow virtually any game on its Steam service, so long as the game wasn’t illegal or “straight up trolling”—but activist-minded developers who have made games about the Hong Kong protests have realized that, perhaps, there are other ways to get barred...

Sojiro

Jun 24, 2018
Here's some context:

Devotion (Chinese: 還願; lit. 'Fulfill a vow') is a first-person psychological horror video gamecreated and developed by Taiwanese game developer Red Candle Games for Steam. It is set in Taiwan in the 1980s, with a majority of the game happening in an apartment complex in Taipei. The game also incorporates elements based on Taiwanese culture and folk religion. The game was released on February 19, 2019, but was removed from Steam shortly afterwards on February 26, after the game was review bombed by Chinese players due to a controversial reference to Xi Jinping.[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][3][/SUP]

Ahhhhh, thanks for the context, yeah "gamers" my fucking ass....

Morten88

Dec 22, 2019
I think the reason why the game isent on steam is because the old publisher still have the rights to the game on steam and i doubt they would allow it to be sold on there again.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
User Warned (Ban reduced after appeal ticket): Advocating Piracy
Streisand Effect doesn't really matter when you literally can't get the game unless you resort to piracy, and in that case the dev sees no direct monetary support and is therefore still punished, which is the whole point of this.

Let's say, hipothetically, one would pirate this game. Would there be any way to send money to the devs directly without passing through a store front or publisher?

MiDoZ

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
hey epic you wanna actually do something helpful and make a splash with your store that will drive sales? maybe even line up with your hamfisted government censorship message you keep using

except also cowards
Epic is owned by a Chinese company.
Edit:
I actually never knew about this game until this news. When will people get that censorship does not actually works?!

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Only a minority share. Sweeney owns a controlling interest so he can do whatever he pleases.

Sweeney probably isn't going to ignore Tencent even if he technically can do it.

bz4B1sL.png

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
At least the tweet is getting ratioed hard so maybe they'll give a more clear response

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
User Banned (3 Days): Advocating Piracy
Let's say, hipothetically, one would pirate this game. Would there be any way to send money to the devs directly without passing through a store front or publisher?

This is a great hypothetical question I would also like a hypothetical answer to

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Where is anyone mixing them up? CD Projekt is the publisher that everything is under, CDPR is their main dev studio, and GOG is their storefront/platform. They're all interconnected.
That's fine to say you won't support CDPR games because of the actions made by their parent company, but it's misdirected to say "FUCK CDPR!" when CDPR themselves had no decision over what got published on GOG.

It's like saying "FUCK RESPAWN!" because EA sells lootboxes on FIFA or some shit.