• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MeepMerp

Alt Account
May 2, 2020
I don't know why everyone is dogpiling CDPR. This is very clearly a move from Chinese gamers.

Radline

Oct 28, 2017
Man, CDPR has been going down the drain in just two years. Gotta make that Cyberpunk money in China's market.

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
do you think valve should host the game without the publisher after they took it down?
No I'm asking why the game isn't back already on Steam if Valve really doesn't give a shit about it. It's probably even easier to re-release the game on steam now considering it was already greenlight 2 years ago. And it seems like the game is now self-published by the devs.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I could deal with the Cyberpunk glitches but this is just evil, never supporting CDPR again.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Remember how CD Projekt was originally founded as a means to combat strict and oppressive communist government copyright laws that hadn't been updated despite transition of government, particularly in relation to media import/export, in an effort to legally import and localise foreign video games for the Polish people?

And how GOG was later founded by them in direct response to the emergence of DRM heavy distribution platforms and the rise of digital distribution alongside rapidly developing technology, in an effort to provide people with a platform to access old, antiquated titles DRM free, said titles reverse engineered and updated accordingly to ensure they could be played in a modern era and preserved for all?

Those were the days.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
No I'm asking why the game isn't back already on Steam if Valve really doesn't give a shit about it. It's probably even easier to re-release the game on steam now considering it was already greenlight 2 years ago. And it seems like the game is now self-published by the devs.
It is possible that the original publisher had the rights for a Steam release. (Or the dev itself doesnt want the exposure of Steam)

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
Huh, I thought the point of releasing it on GOG was because, unlike Valve/Steam, GOG has no big, official presence in China.

Sounds like the publishing arm (CDPR) just nervously told the store arm (GOG), "Psst, our new game is actually pretty popular there."

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Does GOG even operate in China? I can't imagine the incentive for this decision unless the got bombarded by complaints from Chinese people.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Worth noting that Cyberpunk has been selling very well in China (despite not having an official release there)

I have to imagine if the CCP found out they were selling a notoriously banned game via their distribution service they'd not take kindly to CP77?

Of course I'm not sure how it goes when a game is already technically on the grey market.

As usual, gotta chase the Chinese money.

ultraluna

Jun 3, 2020
I am sorry to be so rude but FUCK THIS LINE OF THINKING!

When that poster is talking about "China" they are OBVIOUSLY talking about the Chinese government and their ability to CRUSH every attempt at criticism. We have seen it so many times already, the biggest was earlier this year with the NBA and ESPN using that RIDICULOUS China map that shows their absurd claims on a huge part of the South China Sea.
Claiming that in 15 years China will take over the world is sinophobic, that is all. Everyone should and is capable of criticizing the Chinese government for the horrific acts of violence against uyghur muslims and Xi Jinping's authoritarian pressure over Taiwan and Hong Kong without resorting to these tired racist tropes.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA

Good
we don't know what their publishing deal is, but it looks pretty clear like they can't self publish on steam because their old publisher still has those rights

one of the speculations regarding the hour of gog talk before this was how they were getting around it this way

Raigor

May 14, 2020
"GAMERS" aka "we want to keep doing business in China without getting banned or blacklisted by both the audience and the CCP".

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Can CDPR get any scummier?

honestly what the actual fuck. Devotion devs getting fucked hard over the last 2 years.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, I thought the point of releasing it on GOG was because, unlike Valve/Steam, GOG has no big, official presence in China.

Sounds like the publishing arm (CDPR) just nervously told the store arm (GOG), "Psst, our new game is actually pretty popular there."
I feel like this completely changed when they became a publicly traded company.

They are no longer independent and have to answer to dumb fuck investors who only care about the bottom line.

Oct 25, 2017
kCLB46.gif

Not great Bob.

MeepMerp

Alt Account
May 2, 2020
Definitely seems like a much bigger issue in the west then 'CDPR are cowards' (which they are).
I fail to see how not publishing a game that might get you blacklisted from a country entirely makes you a coward but ok.. it's not like they're a business first or anything. Not really cowardice at all.

spiel

Oct 28, 2017
Pathetic.

Honestly, I think Steam would have pulled the game back then even if the developers (publisher?) didn't take the initiative to, and that sucks too. It's horrible that we have to tiptoe around one country because the powers that be don't like a harmless meme.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
CDPR sure do love to look good to gamers by referring to them as such. "Dear Gamers", "Thanks Gamers", "Messages from Gamers"
Truly an industry darling that listens to that unrepresented "Gamer minority"

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck the Chinese government. Fuck CDPR for being cowards.

Devotion is a great game and Red Candle deserves to have it available for the world.

Deleted member 5876

Big Seller
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really sickens me that corporations are bowing to Chinese pressure like this. Its going to happen more and more and more. When enough going to be enough?

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Remember when CDPR wanted to be the rebel of the video game industry. "We leave the greed to others" etc, and now they are doing their best Blizzard impression and bending the knee for Winnie the Pooh, I guess once you get shareholders you can kiss your principles away. Pathetic.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I fail to see how not publishing a game that might get you blacklisted from a country entirely makes you a coward but ok.. it's not like they're a business first or anything. Not really cowardice at all.
I get it, its a business and they have to answer to investors and shit.

But GOG and CDred were founded on being transparent, not this 'we listened to the gamers' bullshit.

just say what it really is 'we are scared to loose business in china'. Done. That's why I think they are cowardly.