• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OG YOLOwen

Banned
Mar 24, 2019
User banned (permanent): Sinophobia. Prior severe bans for misogony and dismissing concerns around pedophilia.
Just imagine in like (at least 15 years) when China usurps the United States as the world hegemon. I imagine shit like this will be increasingly common as time progresses.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Talk about a poor excuse. The Gamers with a capital G would never ask for them to remove a game that pisses China off.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Xi_Jinping_2019.jpg

The king of gamers
Wrong

king of gamers

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
Here's some context:

Devotion (Chinese: 還願; lit. 'Fulfill a vow') is a first-person psychological horror video gamecreated and developed by Taiwanese game developer Red Candle Games for Steam. It is set in Taiwan in the 1980s, with a majority of the game happening in an apartment complex in Taipei. The game also incorporates elements based on Taiwanese culture and folk religion. The game was released on February 19, 2019, but was removed from Steam shortly afterwards on February 26, after the game was review bombed by Chinese players due to a controversial reference to Xi Jinping.[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][3][/SUP]

Thanks -- this should be pasted into the OP.

Yeah, I remember this and I guess this is why I didn't see it eventually. Wow. Would they decide not to publish a game criticizing or mocking Trump? What is GoG's customer base like?

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Just imagine in like (at least 15 years) when China usurps the United States as the world hegemon. I imagine shit like this will be increasingly common as time progresses.

We're basically already there tbh. It may not be obvious but if you're paying attention we already passed that threshold even if China is still in the stages of being more subtle about. China and fascism are the future, and we better get used to that now so it doesn't 'sneak up on us' in the future

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the game could find a home on itch.io or if the CCP even has power of them

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Believe it or not, Valve is just as cowardly and conservative a money grubbing corporation as CDP.
They most likely are. But in this case, Valve didn't remove anything nor did they pressure them to delist. What we don't know is if they tried to get the game up again on Steam and got denied.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Worth noting that Cyberpunk has been selling very well in China (despite not having an official release there)

I have to imagine if the CCP found out they were selling a notoriously banned game via their distribution service they'd not take kindly to CP77?

Of course I'm not sure how it goes when a game is already technically on the grey market.

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Here's some context:

Devotion (Chinese: 還願; lit. 'Fulfill a vow') is a first-person psychological horror video gamecreated and developed by Taiwanese game developer Red Candle Games for Steam. It is set in Taiwan in the 1980s, with a majority of the game happening in an apartment complex in Taipei. The game also incorporates elements based on Taiwanese culture and folk religion. The game was released on February 19, 2019, but was removed from Steam shortly afterwards on February 26, after the game was review bombed by Chinese players due to a controversial reference to Xi Jinping.[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][3][/SUP]

Thanks for this, I hadn't heard about it until now.

Yeah, CDPR not having a great month.

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
This sucks that GOG wasn't going to carry it, considering it's not carried anywhere else. And those stores didn't step up for this December 18 release for the exact same reason that GOG is backtracking. It's weird that they reversed course considering that they have to have expected this response, but it's hard for me to especially hold them in contempt.

I also find it weird that people are acting like there aren't a large, engaged group of Chinese consumers with a history of independently overreacting to perceived slights against China, such as the recent blowup against K-Pop group BTS over a tribute to those that fought in the Korean War. The Chinese government doesn't have to do everything itself for companies with business in the region to get hurt.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Nothing says "Cyberpunk" quite like refusing to host a game because an authouritarian government might get offended.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
the truest cyberpunk experience. my expectations weren't met but certainly exceeded.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Seeing as you can't actually buy the game anywhere, i'd be curious to know what is going on behind closed doors.

Does China actually have that much influence over the west?

Yeah, especially in the entertainment sector. Just Google how many entertainment-based companies Tencent has some degree of investment and/ownership in. I promise it's way more than you think

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What did they expect? That China was gonna shut the fuck up about this and do nothing? If you weren't ready to take the heat, then why even try at all? Stupid.

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
Fucks sake.

All I want to do is buy this bloody game. Also, who the hell are the "gamers" who sent these messages. This has pissed me off a little, I was well happy about hearing the re-release and now this happens.

Just mad.