• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
This basically seems like it's devs wanting more paper which has a lot of ripple effects RE: storefronts and consumers

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
If I am counting right there are 18 non Epic games on the Epic Game Store that aren't available on GOG. Unless GOG was expecting heavy sales from like Division 2 or Metro I don't really see any that amount of games being really harmful to GOG's business, at least not enough to cause these layoffs and changes. Whatever the issue is with GOG business wise I don't think Epic has had much of an impact to them up to this point, that may change going down the line though.

Yeah doubt this has much to do with Epic. Layoffs are usually known to be coming at high levels in companies up to 6 months beforehand. Obviously companies do what they can to avoid and minimize them before their hand is forced.

Also do not think developers negotiating for a higher cut across various ecosystems started with the Epic Store. It's been going on for awhile and is a big reason why contracts are usually covered by NDA since various developers have the ability to cut various deals , just like employees can in regards to salary. Most people may not negotiate but over time most people learn it's in their best interest to at least give it a try.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
I engage and create in a lot of topics, but somehow you only noticed controversial ones. Maybe you should look at topics beyond this kind?
This proves my point. What exactly is "controversial" to you about this topic? Why feel the need to come in to a topic about GoG struggling and post a dumb hurr durr Steam comment?

This is hard for a lot of Era to understand, but I stick to PC topics because that is what I care about. I don't run around showing my ass in console threads.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
This proves my point. What exactly is "controversial" to you about this topic? Why feel the need to come in to a topic about GoG struggling and post a dumb hurr durr Steam comment?

This is hard for a lot of Era to understand, but I stick to PC topics because that is what I care about. I don't run around showing my ass in console threads.
In fairness, a lot of people in threads about the Epic launcher get pissy about having to use more than one launcher for games and that's the beginning and end of their argument.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I am counting right there are 18 non Epic games on the Epic Game Store that aren't available on GOG. Unless GOG was expecting heavy sales from like Division 2 or Metro I don't really see any that amount of games being really harmful to GOG's business, at least not enough to cause these layoffs and changes. Whatever the issue is with GOG business wise I don't think Epic has had much of an impact to them up to this point, that may change going down the line though.
It's not about the games that are on the Epic store now. This is about the changes in the background on negotiation with stores as a result of it . Without the huge userbase Valve has, GoG doesn't have much of a bargaining chip. They absolutely had to start cutting their cut to keep Devs in.
In fairness, a lot of people in threads about the Epic launcher get pissy about having to use more than one launcher for games and that's the beginning and end of their argument.
nope . People are against paid exclusivity and want games available in as many stores as possible.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
It's shitty places can't have region appropriate pricing, but it's even shittier that some gamers take advantage of it, forcing companies to raise prices in those areas.

You can't expect a company to sit back and watch themselves get cheated.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
It's shitty places can't have region appropriate pricing, but it's even shittier that some gamers take advantage of it, forcing companies to raise prices in those areas.

Why would you take "advantage" of purchasing in higher priced region? Seems silly.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
this sounds more like you don't know what their arguments are and you just made something up

If people still think this after thousands of posts on the matter, then PC Era is truly doomed.
Y'all over here talking like you speak for everyone that was in those threads lmao. There were a lot of people giving more legitimate reasons but there were also those who just didn't want to use another launcher.

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
I engage and create in a lot of topics, but somehow you only noticed controversial ones. Maybe you should look at topics beyond this kind?

"I only shitpost in PC threads, why are you complaining?"

Where does this come from? I don't see anything about 'cheating' in GOG's reasoning.

Nashira

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 21, 2019
Time to buy up the remaining Wishlist items I have on the next couple of sales.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I'm sure Steam was doing a pretty good job squeezing them to death as it was.
Actually, no, they didn't, because they neither bought exclusives nor reduced their cut to a level that is completely unsustainable for smaller players in a predatory pricing scheme.

Suddenly people care. I thought everyone just wanted everything on steam.
Hmm, GoG is a pro-consumer platform with consumer-facing unique features (such as their DRM-free stance) which is also working hard on their client feature set.
EGS is an anti-consumer platform with no unique features that competes by buying exclusivity.

Maybe, just maybe, people like the former while disliking the latter, for good reasons.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Idk but people buy stuff from different regions all the time to take advantage of regional pricing and policies. It has to hurt these digital storefronts

But this isn't actually about removing regional pricing, just wallet reward for those who bought from their own region despite higher price.
I'd say this has potential to increase use of cheaper regions because of that. And for many in EU that was only reason to prefer GoG over Steam.

And whatever it hurts is far more complex, something is better than nothing. There's no direct loss (for GOG, anyway) as royalties are paid on regional price.

maybe they should make cyberpunk exclusive? it is honestly better for all of us

That worked well for Thronebreaker.

gaogaogao

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But this isn't actually about removing regional pricing, just wallet reward for those who bought from their own region despite higher price.
I'd say this has potential to increase use of cheaper regions because of that. And for many in EU that was only reason to prefer GoG over Steam.

And whatever it hurts is far more complex, something is better than nothing. There's no direct loss (for GOG, anyway) as royalties are paid on regional price.

That worked well for Thronebreaker.
who.gif
cyberpunk brings all the nerds to the yard

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The usual suspects trying to make this about Steam somehow. Never change, fanboys.

Origin did this exact same move after other regions kept abusing the cheaper regional pricing through VPNs. They moved everything to local currencies, then back to dollars (in most regions at least), and stopped with the regional pricing. GOG has always been well liked as a complementary service due to their commitment to DRM free releases (Steam leaves it optional to pubs) and focus on older, more forgotten games being supported in modern OSs. It'd be a shame if it went under.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
The usual suspects trying to make this about Steam somehow. Never change, fanboys.

Origin did this exact same move after other regions kept abusing the cheaper regional pricing through VPNs. They moved everything to local currencies, then back to dollars (in most regions at least), and stopped with the regional pricing. GOG has always been well liked as a complementary service due to their commitment to DRM free releases (Steam leaves it optional to pubs) and focus on older, more forgotten games being supported in modern OSs. It'd be a shame if it went under.

This is not about removal of regional pricing.

gaogaogao

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

steams inherent drm is not optional, though it is feeble

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
Damn I bought all my CDPR games from GOG
hope they survive whats coming
although Im not sure what this has to do with Epic Games yet

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
I hope GOG just scales down and sticks with being the place for old games at fair prices with no DRM, instead of trying to compete with Steam. I get the feeling that their downfalls are from a result of trying to expand beyond their initial purpose.

This is how I feel too. It's great having a place to legally purchase older games but ever since they've attempted to compete with other store fronts by introducing indies and bigger published titles they've really slowed down their older games output.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Damn I bought all my CDPR games from GOG
hope they survive whats coming
although Im not sure what this has to do with Epic Games yet
Epic is driving unsupportable 12% cut model. That model doesn't include various charges to the customer or the "influencer" charges. Developers are using that example to renegotiate previous cut storefronts were taken which allowed sustainable development and adding features users liked (like that regional pricing example from GoG or say universal controller support from Steam). This isn't hard to understand.

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
Epic is driving unsupportable 12% cut model. That model doesn't include various charges to the customer or the "influencer" charges. Developers are using that example to renegotiate previous cut storefronts were taken which allowed sustainable development and adding features users liked (like that regional pricing example from GoG or say universal controller support from Steam). This isn't hard to understand.
Epic lowered cut to unsustainable levels for majority and devs started asking for lower cut from stores everywhere.
Oh I wasn't aware devs started asking for lower cuts on other stores too

Astra Planeta

Jan 26, 2018
Devs were asking for a lower cut before Epic, it's what happens when the price of games hasn't changed for 10 yrs, devs look for other ways to get money

30% of the price was also much more reasonable 10 years ago when bandwidth was more expensive, and you needed blade servers and things to serve up the content. Now bandwidth is cheap, and so is content delivery, so why pay that 30%? Devs should be getting more at this point - it costs less to distribute games now.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in favor of developers reaping the benefits of their own product, but they also need to understand that these storefronts need money to operate, and a lower cut will affect their business, and overall, screw the market.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
30% of the price was also much more reasonable 10 years ago when bandwidth was more expensive, and you needed blade servers and things to serve up the content. Now bandwidth is cheap, and so is content delivery, so why pay that 30%? Devs should be getting more at this point - it costs less to distribute games now.
That as well, devs have been questioning for years whether or not digital storefronts were doing enough for them to justify the pricecuts. The big publishers didn't just make their own stores for no reason. The idea that it was only Epic that made devs want a smaller cut when it's something that's been complained about for a long time is revisionist at this point.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

Bandwidth is not only thing stores need. Various fees are big issue too on top of maintaining the store and developing features. And i am not arguing that devs didn't ask for lower cut before, i am just saying that Epic publicly said some numbers that are not true so devs now can use it in negotiations.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Bandwidth is not only thing stores need. Various fees are big issue too on top of maintaining the store and developing features. And i am not arguing that devs didn't ask for lower cut before, i am just saying that Epic publicly said some numbers that are not true so devs now can use it in negotiations.
Yeap. Epic's 12% is supported by customer based fees, "influencer" fees, bare-bones feature set, and a GIANT pile of Fortnite/Tencent/VC money.

At the same time, the 30% fess from say Steam supported a lot of consumer facing features from BPM to Controller support to Discoverability (yes, not perfect but miles ahead of everyone else) to Linux support to other store features PLUS allowed 3rd party stores to function.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
So? Stores can say no. Just like devs can take their games to other stores. And it's unlikely the Epic store caused this level of problems in GoG this fast, they were likely already having problems. So are devs, you don't seem very concerned about them, especially in the past year, a lot of developers have seen some major redundancies or being closed altogether. And that's just the big names we hear about. Devs have various costs they need to pay too, and they have gone up dramatically over the last ten years. Devs are customers too, just like gamers aren't required to buy their games or use a store, devs don't have to use a store if they think they can get better elsewhere.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
Actually, no, they didn't, because they neither bought exclusives nor reduced their cut to a level that is completely unsustainable for smaller players in a predatory pricing scheme.

Oh wow, you don't think Steam having such a dominant place in the market hurts their competitors?

Hahahahahahahaha

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Another problem of taking away the 30% cut: many storefronts use that cut to give consumers a discount and attract sales on their store. That's a big advantage to consumers; buying a game on launch date at $45 instead of the usual $60 is awesome. If the stores get a smaller cut, that might stop happening.

Like a GOG user posted in the announcement: "Praise Epic for making competition something the end user will never see any real benefits from."

Developers are important, obviously, but consumers too.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
So? Stores can say no. Just like devs can take their games to other stores. And it's unlikely the Epic store caused this level of problems in GoG this fast, they were likely already having problems. So are devs, you don't seem very concerned about them, especially in the past year, a lot of developers have seen some major redundancies or being closed altogether. And that's just the big names we hear about. Devs have various costs they need to pay too, and they have gone up dramatically over the last ten years. Devs are customers too, just like gamers aren't required to buy their games or use a store, devs don't have to use a store if they think they can get better elsewhere.

As a customer i am looking at my interests. Devs look at their interests. And best case scenario is that we meet in the middle. But devs are more and more looking only for themselves. That is why we are seeing more and more MTX in games and other ways they are trying to take more money from customers. Gaming market is highly competitive and customers have only that much money to spend and many developers can't or don't want to understand that their products are not something that market wants. So "blaming" customers that they don't care for developers is ridiculous in my opinion. It is not customers job to care about every single developer and studio and how they are keeping their lights on.

caylen

Publisher - Riot Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
santa monica
This is unfortunate but it's extremely understandable, especially given how volatile the currencies can be (and will be even moreso, sup impending global recession) & how competitive the gaming CDN business has become in the past two years.

GOG as a platform is pretty good & I hope they endure through this cycle. Feels bad for gamers in countries this change effected.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
I love the idea that it's Epic that's mostly causing these problems. The desire to blame EVERYTHING on Epic and to see Valve as some generous benefactor that does no wrong is just mindblowing.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While Valve are obviously in a better position to weather Epic's aggressive and anti-competitive moves, GOG looks like it's been a victim of this.

I can't say it's a bad thing that developers get a bigger share of the pie, but it's sad that it's come at the cost of the consumer. It's clear to me at this point that the share Epic is taking is unsustainable, and whether it's intentional or not, smaller stores are feeling the heat when developers go to them and say, "Well, Epic is only taking 12%!"

And even if Epic isn't directly or indirectly causing this, it's a bad day for the consumer when GOG is in trouble.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I love the idea that it's Epic that's mostly causing these problems. The desire to blame EVERYTHING on Epic and to see Valve as some generous benefactor that does no wrong is just mindblowing.
If you think people don't criticize Valve then you haven't been paying attention.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
Y'all over here talking like you speak for everyone that was in those threads lmao. There were a lot of people giving more legitimate reasons but there were also those who just didn't want to use another launcher.
Haha. It's fine If you wanna see it that way. But, even if there was, what does that have to do with the original post I quoted?

Also, WTH does any of this have to do with GoG possibly having problems?

Astra Planeta

Jan 26, 2018
Another problem of taking away the 30% cut: many storefronts use that cut to give consumers a discount and attract sales on their store. That's a big advantage to consumers; buying a game on launch date at $45 instead of the usual $60 is awesome. If the stores get a smaller cut, that might stop happening.

Like a GOG user posted in the announcement: "Praise Epic for making competition something the end user will never see any real benefits from."

Developers are important, obviously, but consumers too.

Metro is $50 not $60 on Epic store because of the smaller cut. If anything keeping the 30% makes developers keep their prices higher.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
As a customer i am looking at my interests. Devs look at their interests. And best case scenario is that we meet in the middle. But devs are more and more looking only for themselves. That is why we are seeing more and more MTX in games and other ways they are trying to take more money from customers. Gaming market is highly competitive and customers have only that much money to spend and many developers can't or don't want to understand that their products are not something that market wants. So "blaming" customers that they don't care for developers is ridiculous in my opinion. It is not customers job to care about every single developer and studio and how they are keeping their lights on.
But it is our concern about the costs for storefronts? Both devs and storefronts will look more and more at their interests when gamers keep demanding more and more from both without being willing to actually pay more. You don't have to care about them but it's ludicrous to get annoyed when they make steps so they can actually *GASP* make money so those lights stay on. If devs are putting extra revenue streams in their games and storefronts are having to get rid of staff and features, then it's showing that there's major problems with the industry being sustainable and suggests that gamers are looking too much for themselves. Again, your money, do what you will with it, but it's the dev's products, and they are going to do what they need to do to stay alive. So will the storefronts.