• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
So I'm guessing these films still make a decent profit to be still making them. The last one was so bad, it honestly looked worse than the first one, when you could see shit, not like there was much to see in the sequel either, it looked really bad and cheap.

Godzilla (2014) and Kong: Skull Island both made well over $500MM each on around $150MM budgets a piece.
KOTM was the weakest take so far (somewhere in the $400MM range), but still more than doubled up its budget.
It'll at the very least, get this sequel, but this leg of the franchise is fading.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
PZ4VRo0.jpg

I want to become MEGA Godzilla

8nNw4R5.jpg

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
Well that's unexpected.Wonder how it will actually appear on film and the justification for it existing at all.

Powered-Up Mechagodzilla from Trendmasters as part of the Godzilla Wars series, 1996.

PC267888.jpg

Oh, I didn't know this exist! Modern version is way better, though.

34392311172_f440c868a7_b.jpg

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Just give me some day time scuffles. Kong is a mammal after all, it'll be easier for him. With Rodan watching him fight Godzilla from above with a smirk.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a spoiler I guess, but this is something they would have definitely shown in the trailer. I'm more interested in seeing what the big bad they all team up against is going to be. Surely it's gonna be Destroyah.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Im so glad Dougherty's crazy vision seems to be still a part of the franchise going forward.

I love they are going out in style, this is probably going to be the last film but is going to be glorious.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I fuuuucking hate this design so much ughhh. Oh well since this'll probably be the last one at least they're going out with a bang!

Also why in the hell are people saying the stinger to KOTM hinted at this? That was a Ghidorah head. If anything, it hinted at Mecha King Ghidorah. There is no reason whatsoever to connect Mecha Godzilla from that. If anything MKG is the stop gap before Mecha Godzilla since MKG is still partially organic while MG is 100% robot, the assumption should have been that MKG was next with a MG to follow if they made it that far with the movies.

Why is it impossible for these folks to take clear pictures?
Because photography at events like these are strickly prohibited so what you're seeing are pictures people take by sliding their phone out of their pocket or sleeve to quickly try and get a picture without being seen.

There's still a chance Mecha's not in the movie. Plenty of tie-in toys are just extra stuff not in movies.
There is absolutely zero chance that they made merch like this for a character that isn't in the movie. It's one thing to have a Batman with New Hat and it's another thing entirely to have multiple figures in different scales of a character like this. Those little monsters on the left are more likely to not be in the movie than Mecha Godzilla. This isn't a Lego set where they have to invent vehicles to make building sets out of.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Not too crazy over the claw hands--other than that, great that we'll be getting Godzilla's 2nd iconic nemesis for this last movie.

Really hope this also means the reshoots will benefit the movie in this case--did not like what I read in the leaked script.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Godzilla (2014) and Kong: Skull Island both made well over $500MM each on around $150MM budgets a piece.
KOTM was the weakest take so far (somewhere in the $400MM range), but still more than doubled up its budget.
It'll at the very least, get this sequel, but this leg of the franchise is fading.

Not bad but I guess they were hoping for closer to a billion.

What's the saying for fool me a third time. I love Transformers.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Legitimately disappointed.

Mecha Godzilla has always been a corny concept in my eyes. Godzilla's always been larger than life with some wackiness but I liked the idea of the titans just being dormant ancient animals coming into conflict. This is going to be so damn cheesy lol.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Legitimately disappointed.

Mecha Godzilla has always been a corny concept in my eyes. Godzilla's always been larger than life with some wackiness but I liked the idea of the titans just being dormant ancient animals coming into conflict. This is going to be so damn cheesy lol.

To be fair, wasn't that the basic plot of GMK?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
What are the odds that Mecha Godzilla starts off looking like regular Godzilla and it's just wrecking havoc and so Kong goes after him?

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I was expecting the other monster to be Mechagodzilla or Mecha-King Ghidorah, so not that shocked.

Mechagodzilla is probably a good choice though, being a very popular Godzilla monster. Hopefully they keep all the crazy, over the top firepower it had in the old movies.

Looking forward to this movie a lot. If they can get the action right (don't cut away from the fights too much and not have all the fights in darkness) this could be a hell of a monster smackdown.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There is absolutely zero chance that they made merch like this for a character that isn't in the movie. It's one thing to have a Batman with New Hat and it's another thing entirely to have multiple figures in different scales of a character like this. Those little monsters on the left are more likely to not be in the movie than Mecha Godzilla. This isn't a Lego set where they have to invent vehicles to make building sets out of.

I didn't know I wanted this, but now I really do..

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
KOTM was a pretty big letdown for me. They didn't really fix any of 14's problems.

I came out of it significantly less amped for future helpings.

Oct 25, 2017
So, this has way more spoilers beyond the obvious one. Mechagodzilla, Burning Godzilla, the lizards from Kong, and some kind of hooded cobra or wing at the top left in that one picture?

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
" massive spoiler " is a bit of a stretch, Mechagodzilla was telegraphed in the post credits of the last movie.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
KOTM was a pretty big letdown for me. They didn't really fix any of 14's problems.

I came out of it significantly less amped for future helpings.

They showed more of the monster fighting, so that was a fix from the 14 movie. It added it's own problems though, so it was far from perfect but I still enjoyed it.

For me, Kong: Skull Island is most well balanced film in the series so far. Hopefully they take a lot from that with this new film.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They showed more of the monster fighting, so that was a fix from the 14 movie. It added it's own problems though, so it was far from perfect but I still enjoyed it.

For me, Kong: Skull Island is most well balanced film in the series so far. Hopefully they take a lot from that with this new film.

the choreography for the fights and most of the fights themselves are pretty disappointing too. 2014 had a much better sense of build up and action when fighting happened.

So, this has way more spoilers beyond the obvious one. Mechagodzilla, Burning Godzilla, the lizards from Kong, and some kind of hooded cobra or wing at the top left in that one picture?

That's not Burning Godzilla. It's Godzilla wearing some weird harness thing. Also I hope they don't bring back Burning Godzilla, another one of those "look we know Godzilla" moments that wastes something actually interesting.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
" massive spoiler " is a bit of a stretch, Mechagodzilla was telegraphed in the post credits of the last movie.
The post credits of the last movie hinted at Mecha King Ghidorah, where are people getting Mecha Godzilla from? It seems like only you and two other people in this thread were able to pick up on anything hinting at Mecha Godzilla, what'd I miss?

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
the choreography for the fights and most of the fights themselves are pretty disappointing too. 2014 had a much better sense of build up and action when fighting happened.

It's a shame Gareth Edwards didn't director again, he's clearly a better director. He really captured the scale of the monsters perfectly in the 14 movie.

KotM definitely wasn't as good in that department but I can't say I didn't enjoy all the fights and action, because I still had a blast watching it.

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The post credits of the last movie hinted at Mecha King Ghidorah, where are people getting Mecha Godzilla from? It seems like only you and two other people in this thread were able to pick up on anything hinting at Mecha Godzilla, what'd I miss?

Aye. So my line of thinking after that scene was either Mecha Ghidorah by using the remains shown in the scene or they would use the remains plus Godzilla DNA to create Mecha Godzilla.

Either way I am hype.

Nov 5, 2017
That's not Burning Godzilla. It's Godzilla wearing some weird harness thing. Also I hope they don't bring back Burning Godzilla, another one of those "look we know Godzilla" moments that wastes something actually interesting.

I wonder if it's supposed to be the "Godzilla skin" that MG wears before being exposed, similar to the original.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Aye. So my line of thinking after that scene was either Mecha Ghidorah by using the remains shown in the scene or they would use the remains plus Godzilla DNA to create Mecha Godzilla.

Either way I am hype.
Ahh ok, I saw it a week or two after it came out so I'd read about disappointing BO numbers and shit, and when I saw the stinger my thought process went "Oh shit, Mecha King Ghidorah? Is that gonna be the bad guy that he and Kong team up against? But they'd have to improve their tech like crazy so it would probably be the bad guy AFTER KvG and we probably aren't gonna get anymore movies since this one isn't doing well so it'll just be a tease that never gets to go anywhere ):"

I legitimately NEVER would have guessed they were going to do Mecha Godzilla in this series of movies since they started off so grounded. Even MKG would be pushing it but he's only part robot so they could have fudged it a bit I guess. If anything MKG would have been the stepping stone to Mecha Godzilla but it looks like they're just going all out for the finale.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
So this mean Kong and Godzilla will team up to fight Mecha-Godzilla? Sounds neat.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Enough about Mechagodizlla, what is that shit on Godzilla's back? Is burning Godzilla back or is that like some sort of life form attached. Boxed is too blurred to read but it is a Godzilla vs Kong box

Streaks

Oct 28, 2017

Screenrant actually had a really good article about the Monsterverse a couple of days ago as well:

Your numbers aren't quite that accurate but not far off. From my understanding, profit for movies really comes into play after you make back double your budget. The budget counts for the movie but doesn't factor in the ad campaigns and such. Plus obviously theaters take a chunk of the profits as well. KotM was...not a success but not a total failure, either. I read blu-ray sales have been really good, though.

Godzilla 2014 - Budget: 160m Worldwide Gross: 524m
Kong: Skull Island - Budget 185m Worldwide Gross: 566m
King of the Monsters - Budget 170m-200m Worldwide: 385m

As for the leaks...not a fan of the design but not dismissing it until I see real pictures and not some cheap toys. I hope they use the skeleton of another of Godzilla's species, though. I totally still expect Ghidorah to be in it, too.

I imagine it going:
Kong vs Mecha (in Godzilla costume) - Kong loses but exposes it
Godzilla shows up and wins against Mechagodzilla but he escapes somehow
Ghidorah shows up with it's own Mecha parts and beats Godzilla
Kong and Godzilla team up against Ghidorah and struggle.
Mecha Godzilla changes sides and it sacrifices itself in some Millennium Kiryu sorcery
I'm totally wrong but that's my imagination running wild

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hideous design, but all the designs after the first Mechagodzilla have been terrible so this is nothing new for the character.