• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
So now that the only kaiju left are Godzilla, Kong, and Mothra 2 the next villain would probably come from space right? Or I guess there could be another big bad in the hollow Earth.
The kaiju from KOTM are all still around, it's in supplemental material that they all retreated underground recently at Godzilla's behest. Why they didn't throw in a line explaining this in the film I don't know.
I would say if they go forward with a separate Kong and Godzilla sequel, Kong will face a foe in the Hollow Earth and Godzilla probably an alien monster, or maybe full on alien invasion, a very common premise in the Godzilla films. Have aliens show up with Gigan and another monster or two for instance.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
ok hear me out:
the next movie goes more into hollow earth lore, and also has godzilla & kong teaming up with the jaegers because its godzilla x kong x pacific rim

also guillermo del toro directs it

Oct 25, 2017
Uniqlo likes the film too

USA and UK so what I've looked into. I assume other regions too.
I was excited about this and then I actually saw the shirts
2y8SCSL.gif

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
The Hollow Earth stuff was fun and looked amazing. I want a nature documentary that focuses on all the crazy monsters living down there, haha.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
www.slashfilm.com

Here's Why Lance Reddick Is Barely In 'Godzilla Vs. Kong' - SlashFilm

Adam Wingard talks about how some deleted and repurposed Godzilla vs Kong scenes resulted in Lance Reddick having a quick cameo in the final film.

"Originally, Lance's part was a little bit bigger as he plays the Monarch director, he's running the organization," Wingard said. "There was a scene earlier in the film, a big board room scene where they're setting up the mission. He had a larger role, but ultimately we didn't need that scene, we changed a couple of plot details during the editing process, so that earlier stuff got cut. Now, that stuff just counts as a fun cameo. He is still top credited, it's still part of his contract. It's funny because he shows up in the opening credits and then turns up for four lines, maybe three, in the movie ultimately."

"This is the ultimate version of the film," Wingard said. "We actually did the least amount of reshoots than any of those MonsterVerse films. Normally, they do about two weeks, but we only did five days. We did have to be quite surgical, as we did change one element of the plot and it affected a couple of scenes at the beginning and a couple of scenes at the end. That's where my low-budget, no-budget background comes in. You have to be very crafty and able to think in those terms. We were very surgical in those terms. So, no, this is the ultimate version of the film, I would never do a different version of it."

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, there is that as it is really goofy watching people interact with a baby Godzilla and cheering big G on like it's a wrestling match lol. But I've been wanting that again haha.

And I'm not gatekeeping Godzilla, I'm simply pointing out the similarities between this and past titles and so confused at people not caring for this but flip out at Fast and the Furious car shenanigans. That's basically a good comparison to Showa Godzilla actually haha.

I feel like this was directed towards my comment earlier since I don't think anyone else mentioned gatekeeping, but I wasn't really meaning you. I meant more like the person who came in here and literally told people complaining that they must not have seen Godzilla films before. Though I think you were getting a bit heated lol.

I think it stems from Godzilla literally spanning over decades with different tones that people identified with depending on their introduction to the franchise. Also, I feel like some leeway is given to older films but not newer ones because the expectation is that with time things would have improved. Additionally, I think on paper some of these things sound fine but execution was not there as well. Like KotM on paper, a lot of it sounded good to me but fuck, a lot of it was executed incredibly. I skimmed most of the thread, so I think this might have been said so sorry for retreading that lol.

Oh and one last thing, I think the F&F franchise has something really important these films don't have, a consistent likeable cast of characters. I think having characters you like more would allow for leeway in other aspects as well.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Movie done. Maybe I am being too harsh, but I really did not like that. And I wanted to like it a lot. The previous two movies, with all their flaws, had weight and scale with these monsters. It was lost in this one. The music was generic. The humans were somehow worse than the previous one. The dialogue was especially bad. That was a pretty big letdown sadly. Glad others seemed to enjoy it though. My son did at least, and now is asking me a million questions about Godzilla.

disagree with the weight comment for king of the monsters. 2014 was amazing with it but kotm looked and felt awful. It felt like every kaiju was filled with air

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this was directed towards my comment earlier since I don't think anyone else mentioned gatekeeping, but I wasn't really meaning you. I meant more like the person who came in here and literally told people complaining that they must not have seen Godzilla films before. Though I think you were getting a bit heated lol.

I think it stems from Godzilla literally spanning over decades with different tones that people identified with depending on their introduction to the franchise. Also, I feel like some leeway is given to older films but not newer ones because the expectation is that with time things would have improved. Additionally, I think on paper some of these things sound fine but execution was not there as well. Like KotM on paper, a lot of it sounded good to me but fuck, a lot of it was executed incredibly. I skimmed most of the thread, so I think this might have been said so sorry for retreading that lol.

Oh and one last thing, I think the F&F franchise has something really important these films don't have, a consistent likeable cast of characters. I think having characters you like more would allow for leeway in other aspects as well.
I have been obnoxious and do feel bad about that. It's just the overwhelming negativity against something that many fans may actually like and towards something Adam Wingard has accomplished stings because if it's loud enough, we get less of this. "Hey, I only like one type of Godzilla flick so sounds good to me" isn't helpful when franchises go dormant.

We have Shin Godzilla which is a great take on the serious and darker Godzilla films. I've been saying since that film and especially after revisiting the Criterion collection that I would love a bananas Godzilla flick with tropical islands, aliens, kaiju battle royals etc. This was a step in that direction. Wingard himself said it's difficult working on a project like this restricted to the story and characters already established but he enjoyed playing with cg toys and creating the amazing fights and set pieces. That to me sounds like "I wouldn't have gone with the distaster drama family of Chandler and Eleven but eh, I got to make Godzilla fight Kong!"

I also would never dare enter a Marvel or DC thread and tell fans that the movies should have one tone and focus on one age of comics because of my own personal, limited preference.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I just finished it. And boy, oh boy. I really didn't liked it.

It's not wrong to have the human element on this kind of movies, but if the human element on this movies are gonna be like more than 50% of the movie; at least write them well.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
The kaiju from KOTM are all still around, it's in supplemental material that they all retreated underground recently at Godzilla's behest. Why they didn't throw in a line explaining this in the film I don't know.
I would say if they go forward with a separate Kong and Godzilla sequel, Kong will face a foe in the Hollow Earth and Godzilla probably an alien monster, or maybe full on alien invasion, a very common premise in the Godzilla films. Have aliens show up with Gigan and another monster or two for instance.

They could do something really cool with a Kong sequel, have him exploring Hollow Earth learning about the lost Kong civilization that clearly existed at some point. Fight a bunch of monsters. You don't even need humans in it at all, but since Andrews and Jia were the best humans in GvK I'd be fine with them tagging along.

There's so much they could do with Godzilla I have a hard time thinking of anything specific, but it would be kinda fun to throw him into a weird genre or throwback. Do a time loop movie starring Godzilla, or go Lovecraftian horror with him as the main character somehow.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just saw it, loved it.

Could have completely removed the Apex Investigation trio, dumb and a waste of time.

But that's not enough to upset me. But I loved KOTM too so whatever.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have been obnoxious and do feel bad about that. It's just the overwhelming negativity against something that many fans may actually like and towards something Adam Wingard has accomplished stings because if it's loud enough, we get less of this. "Hey, I only like one type of Godzilla flick so sounds good to me" isn't helpful when franchises go dormant.

We have Shin Godzilla which is a great take on the serious and darker Godzilla films. I've been saying since that film and especially after revisiting the Criterion collection that I would love a bananas Godzilla flick with tropical islands, aliens, kaiju battle royals etc. This was a step in that direction. Wingard himself said it's difficult working on a project like this restricted to the story and characters already established but he enjoyed playing with cg toys and creating the amazing fights and set pieces. That to me sounds like "I wouldn't have gone with the distaster drama family of Chandler and Eleven but eh, I got to make Godzilla fight Kong!"

I also would never dare enter a Marvel or DC thread and tell fans that the movies should have one tone and focus on one age of comics because of my own personal, limited preference.

You're all good, don't sweat it haha. I agree, I really think this movie was a step in the right direction. Like I unexpectedly enjoyed it, which I wasn't expecting because I was so incredibly pessimistic after King of the Monsters. And like I don't even need serious dark toned Godzilla like Shin, I love that movie but I also love Final Wars. I just need to be able to be interested in the humans and what they're doing so I'm not stuck during long periods of the film waiting for it to end. And GvK accomplished that for me personally.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Marathoned all four monster verse films over the weekend and this was easily the worst. The two Godzilla films especially the first were pretty good.

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished it. And boy, oh boy. I really didn't liked it.

It's not wrong to have the human element on this kind of movies, but if the human element on this movies are gonna be like more than 50% of the movie; at least write them well.
Jia is the best human character since the original cast. While most Godzilla flicks would have decent representation of women in lead roles, the plot and "arcs" of the human characters were never ever the strong suit.

And I thought conspiracy guy was funny.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Really enjoyed it, the Godzilla and Kong battles were fantastic and love the fun sequel possibilities of the Hollow Earth plot. Jia + Kong was just adorable (and hooray for ASL representation!). I recently had fun rewatching the original King Kong vs Godzilla in anticipation of this and this definitely captured the humorous fun of the original. I have no problem jumping between serious and silly Godzilla. That said, I definitely prefer G 2014 (some amazing shots in that movie and the MUTO are underrated villians) and G KotM (was the modernized 1960s TOHO battle royale I had waited for since I was a kid), what really held this movie back for me was the awful, pointless side plot with the excruciatingly annoying and unfunny podcast conspiracy guy and "hacker" kid. Every time I was in the zone loving the movie they'd cut back to those two idiots who would open their mouths and sputter off another stupid, self aware, unfunny hack line or have them running around in the Apex lair with some hackneyed Keystone Cops/Abbott and Costello schtick. Just cut those two out of movie and focus more on Jia and Kong and the movie would be even better. Brown and Chandler's return felt even more pointless because of this.

Last edited:

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
I would have been cool with Kong 2 just being him exploring Hollow Earth, those scenes were cool. But this movie kind of combined concepts for Godzilla 3 and Kong 2, so I don't know what they would do for a new Kong movie.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Watched last night. That was a ton of fun. Waaaaay better than KoTM in my opinion. I will say though, that the score did a lot of heavy lifting.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Haha, I didn't think it was funny at all!
713fbe95c7674512c6be3ddbc3695faf.gif

I was disturbed and horrified at "Kamata-kun". To me It looked like a deep sea creature, who was in pain just being on the surface. Everything about it felt "wrong".

lmao, the way the GIF loops make it look like everyone is briskly jogging away from godzilla thinking "not this asshole again"

Ralph Bighead

Jan 13, 2018
Overall, I enjoyed it. It was exactly what I was expecting (really dumb but fun), and for that reason it beats KotM in my book.

After Godzilla 2014, I was excited to see a continuation of that film's more grounded tone, which is part of the reason why I was disappointed with KotM, as it was very much heading in the more campy direction of some of the Toho films. That's not to say that a campy tone is in itself a bad thing, just that it didn't align with what I had expected based on the previous film, which I found to be an interesting departure from other Godzilla films.

In comparison, I knew going into GvK that the tone was going to be ridiculous, so it was a lot easier to manage my expectations.

The fact that this film is even more ridiculous than KotM works further in its favor. KotM, I feel, was trying to have its cake and eat it too--by having some more dramatic elements blended with the camp. It ended up being the worst of both. I much prefer the approach of this film--leaning in fully to the absurd.

On top of that, the emotional lynchpin of KotM is the family (forgot their names and won't bother looking them up), who I found to be utterly insufferable. In comparison, I thought it was smart of them to have the emotional lynchpin of this film to involve Kong. Even if it was dumb it gave me some reason to care about him as a character.

I still wish we had a properly toned sequel to Godzilla 2014 but after KotM I realize that doesn't make sense, so this film was perfectly fine at returning to a more traditional Godzilla tone.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Why are people in this thread saying Kong submitted? Did we watch the same movie? Kong straight up yelled "Screw you, I'll never submit, just kill me then!". And Godzilla was like "Nah. You live with the L, 'King'".

Anyway, it was fun. It's so easy to criticize that it's almost pointless to do so. My personal favorite plothole is that they didn't actually need the super duper energy from the Hollow Earth, they only needed an e-mail explaining it. Because unlimited energy is just a click away - electric companies HATE this!

But, who cares? Everything in this movie is a plothole. Nothing made any sense. I'm surprised they didn't say that Bernie did actually drink bleach. It would've been just as believable as sunlight at the center of the Earth.

JetEagle

Dec 21, 2020
Australia
I saw this in cinemas the other day and I really thought it was rather bad, which is a shame as I was looking forward to it.

The human element of this movie was terrible, completely undermined the entire movie for me. I know that some people don't mind it because the big monster fight is what they are after, but I find I cannot overlook so much of the movie being so shit. Just because so many past movies are badly written, doesn't make it an excuse for this one.

The Godzilla trio and their wacky adventure has already been mentioned plenty, but the Kong crew was barely any better just not insufferable. Why was Alexander Skarsgard introduced as a disgraced Hollow Earth scientist when everyone knows and accepts that hollow earth is real? It never comes up again. And good luck trying to understand how the Monarch hierarchy works, just who was in charge of that fleet of warships? Certainly not the military guy who had to be told to use his ships weapons.

The movie also now has sci-fi tech way beyond the previous movies that goes completely unremarked upon.

This movie also did the one thing I was afraid a sequel to King of the Monsters would do, which is completely ignore all the global devastation that happened in that movie. Millions, if not billions, of people died and multiple cities completely destroyed and not even a throwaway line about it.
This movie wasn't any better, how many people died in Hong Kong?

And the fights weren't super great either, how much time did Godzilla spend blasting away with his Nuclear Breath? It apparently had no end.

Oh, and the movie couldn't make up its mind how big Kong and Godzilla were supposed to be. They both could fit onto an aircraft carrier??

Oct 27, 2017
The only complaints of the human parts for me was the bad scientists daughter was terrible and waste of time, millie did not need to be in it and the conspiracist/bleach part was the cringiest part of the movie. Other than that the fight scenes made up for it and was hype as fuck.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
Why are people in this thread saying Kong submitted? Did we watch the same movie? Kong straight up yelled "Screw you, I'll never submit, just kill me then!". And Godzilla was like "Nah. You live with the L, 'King'".

That's exactly how I interpreted it. He never submitted, he roared back and godzilla just left him. The very end he throws the axe down because she told him he's not the enemy, and he listened.

Consensual

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, there is that as it is really goofy watching people interact with a baby Godzilla and cheering big G on like it's a wrestling match lol. But I've been wanting that again haha.

And I'm not gatekeeping Godzilla, I'm simply pointing out the similarities between this and past titles and so confused at people not caring for this but flip out at Fast and the Furious car shenanigans. That's basically a good comparison to Showa Godzilla actually haha.

They really needed another movie before what they did at the end of KOTM, leading into GvK. Or just set up Baby Godzilla in KOTM, have Godzilla go Nuclear, giving off all that radiation, then explode. Recreate the ending of Godzilla Vs Destroyah. Or even have that be the ending of this movie.

You could even have just introduced a Baby Godzilla in this film at the start. Baby Godzilla goes on an adventure because Apex do something shady. Godzilla is trying to find him. Baby Godzilla stumbles across Kong, shenanigans ensue. Godzilla turns up, thinks Kong is trying to mess with his kid. Fights ensue. Apex unleash Mechagodzilla, tries to mess with Baby Godzilla. Godzilla is about to finish off Kong, but now his attention is drawn to MechaGodzilla. Jia convinces Kong to join the fight because Godzilla was just trying to protect his kid, like Kong is trying to protect Jia. Team up ensues. Tag Team special moves aplenty. Everybody high fives and dances in the end, the Godzillas pimp walk back into the ocean as always. That would have had a lot of the same beats at this movie, but would be more coherent, and with more goofy fun.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised how no one is talking about Godzilla's dummy thicc thighs.

I didn't mind that design in the first godzilla movie, but having him have such a bottom heavy design against Kong, who is similar sized but normally proportioned, was kind of weird to watch. Especially with the speed buff Godzilla has now, where he moved very slowly even in KotM.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Jia is the best human character since the original cast. While most Godzilla flicks would have decent representation of women in lead roles, the plot and "arcs" of the human characters were never ever the strong suit.

And I thought conspiracy guy was funny.

I found none of the human characters likeable. Jia was the best one, but the time with the humans was horrible. At least, the 2 fights sequences are undoubtedly good. Still, this movie was just one wink to the camera away to out-dumb JP: Fallen Kingdom

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
www.slashfilm.com

Here's Why Lance Reddick Is Barely In 'Godzilla Vs. Kong' - SlashFilm

Adam Wingard talks about how some deleted and repurposed Godzilla vs Kong scenes resulted in Lance Reddick having a quick cameo in the final film.
This is interesting. I wonder if the primary reasons for the changes were to get the run time down to under 2 hours.

Sounds like some pretty major story alterations with the cut cast members. I'm sure it was all for the best. I'd love to know more though.

Deleted member 93805

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 16, 2021
Bay Area, CA
Was there an introduction scene for Lance Reddick's character? I feel like he just showed up out of nowhere.

The "Godzilla is hurting people, and we don't know why!" line was so stupid, it was probably the funniest part of the movie. Rewatching Godzilla 1984 and Shin Godzilla before this probably wasn't the best idea. Oh well. Looks like it did well.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
It really feels like the characters just brush off all the people Godzilla casually kills. They could've easily taken a different direction with the villain. A man who's legit concerned that giant monsters will fucking kill them one day so he builds a defense against them. But nope they had him be a fucking crazy guy obsessed with being top dog. I guess it makes for a quicker paced movie.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Movie was utterly fantastic. Every major fight set pieces looked great and the fights were well done. The CG was honestly spectacular. There were so many great shots and memorable moments. I'm happy with the outcome with Godzilla besting Kong but Kong ultimately saving the day at the end. Gotta say, Godzilla got bodied during their second fight but it was hilarious watching him tell Kong to sit the fuck back down soon after.

I really loved that scene between Kong and Jia where they signed to each other while it was raining. Kong is so expressive and I just want to cry whenever he gets hurt lmao. Stop hurting him you jerks.

I knew the team up was coming but man I had the biggest smile on my face during those last 10 minutes or so. Great fan service.

Eleven's trio was by far the worst part of the movie and I plan on skipping those scenes every time I rewatch.

Side note, seeing this in the theater made me remember how much I loved going to the movies.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I really wish that they would remake Godzilla King of the Monsters in Godzilla vs Kong style. Ghidorah is such a cool design and they mostly get the fight between them right, but the movie has so much dust and debris flying that you never get a clear view of what is happening. It annoyed me so much and I'm so happy Godzilla vs Kong had clear, bright visuals so we actually see Godzilla and Kong fighting.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Pure fucking Kino

Those Godzilla v. Kong fights were so damn vicious; Kong got absolutely wrecked, especially in HK.

BUT THEN THAT TAG TEAM vs MECHA G

OMGGGGGGG

Then that fucking smug look on Zilla's face when he's walking away after Kong submits.

Waaaaaaaaay better than KotM, I'm super bummed out they wasted Ghidorah on that film, lol

Hollow Earth gave me intense Avatar vibes; very creative location~

Axiom

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this in IMAX, absolutely loved it. Yes, the human stuff wasn't great but it tended to be covered up by great visuals and everyone in the theatre was laughing at the jokes. It wasn't a smart movie, but it was the right movie for what I (and it seemed everyone else there) wanted to see.

The fights between Kong and Godzilla were booked like a great wrestling match in which there's a definitive ending but the babyface got their heat back along with the respect of the heel - and then he even saves the villain and the day by being a good guy.