• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
Mechagodzilla was stomping a mudhole in the two of them and I was all for it. It was hilarious.

I enjoyed the movie a lot, but the conspiracy trio really got on my nerves. I had given the movie points for making the characters at least entertaining in their unlikeness, but it came to a point where they didn't contribute anything and we just taking up time and space.

Easy remedy for this would be to make Brian Tyree Henry a Monarch agent or something that was keeping tabs on Apex from the inside since they'd had been hoarding kaiju eggs from Skull Island. Ditch the two kids and pair him up with someone else as they discover Mechagodzilla. Maybe use the Apex Founder's daughter as his partner in crime since she got nothing to do anyway. Someone who isn't really sold on her father's vision or something.

Oct 26, 2017
Movie done. Maybe I am being too harsh, but I really did not like that. And I wanted to like it a lot. The previous two movies, with all their flaws, had weight and scale with these monsters. It was lost in this one. The music was generic. The humans were somehow worse than the previous one. The dialogue was especially bad. That was a pretty big letdown sadly. Glad others seemed to enjoy it though. My son did at least, and now is asking me a million questions about Godzilla.

Oct 25, 2017
We are in the same boat. Shin blew me away. Darkly funny and unsettling at the same time. That version of Godzilla was legit scary as hell to me.

As odd as this may sound, a big reason I like Shin so much is it's a modern godzilla that doesn't loose the vibe and feel of the previous films. I enjoy the big bombastic fighting of KOTM/GvK but it also is almost too clean in it's production, if that makes sense. Shin did a really good job of modernizing that Showa/Heisei feeling.

Jun 22, 2019
The previous two movies, with all their flaws, had weight and scale with these monsters. It was lost in this one.

See, I think the previous two movies (especially KotM) overall were bad at attributing proper scale (which should also limit how fast something can move though, and that's contrary to the types of fights the western directors have wanted). Shin Godzilla portrayed scale extremely well on the other hand.

So now that I just 100% completely gave up on these movies capturing the sheer magnitude of the scale involved in any way, I was able to really enjoy these fights. But I don't categorize them mentally as giant monster fights, but rather just monster fights. Like these films are godawful from the perspective of wanting to see BIG FUCKING THINGS fight, because the physics and even camerawork are so contrary to what a more grounded portrayal of two objects the sizes of skyscrapers falling over would look like. I basically just have to pretend the buildings and monsters are like 10x smaller than they actually are and it allows me to have fun with it.

Last edited:

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Movie was ok, it had its moments though. They obviously scaled Kongs power level to compete with Godzilla by making him almost as tall as Zilla. Also, Kong almost lost to a jobber fodder monster but Eric had to make the save at the 2 count.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed that and really wish I could've seen some parts at the theatre. Minus the group with Millie, the humans were tolerable. Jia,Kong, and Godzilla were the highlights. I felt so bad for Kong at points but I am glad that it is clear that Godzilla is the winner there. KOTM is easily the worst of these movies.

Oct 27, 2017
This movie is so weird to me. It's billed with Godzilla up front but it's a King Kong movie first and foremost. The worst thing this movie does is kinda ruin the Legendary Godzilla iteration. The characterization just sucks compared to what we saw in 2014 and KotM. He's just kinda shitty in a way that's not engaging to watch. Old Shogun warrior Godzilla from 2014 and KotM was at least a cool framing. He felt old and tired and being dragged out into battle again and again. Here? They just get rid of all of that and he is portrayed similarly to the Skullcrawlers from Kong Skull Island, like some kind of slithering lizard thing.

I really didn't enjoy seeing Godzilla on screen at all. Huge disappointment.

Castor

Oct 29, 2017
New York City
So Godzilla > Kong but they got tired and Mechagodzilla came in and started beating on em cus Gidorah probably took the whole getting melted thing personally so the hyped on adrenaline Kong had to finish it with a powered up lightsaber axe. I can fuck with it.

It's boring when these kinds of cross property movies don't have a winner but the writers were smart enough to not make it the only thing that matters. Now if only they were smart enough to not make a big pert of the human drama boring as hell. Didn't hate the other part of the human drama though. Jia MVP carrying this movie on her back like a champ.

Kind of like how Godzilla comes off like a petty shit and Kong just wants to chill. Want to go back and watch the monster scenes form KotM now but can't justify watching the rest of that movie >_>

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I enjoyed it. Certainly had the best fight scenes so far, though I did appreciate the different monsters in King of The Monsters. I'll probably buy the 4k disc because HBO Max video and audio quality is trash.

Oct 27, 2017
This movie is so weird to me. It's billed with Godzilla up front but it's a King Kong movie first and foremost. The worst thing this movie does is kinda ruin the Legendary Godzilla iteration. The characterization just sucks compared to what we saw in 2014 and KotM. He's just kinda shitty in a way that's not engaging to watch. Old Shogun warrior Godzilla from 2014 and KotM was at least a cool framing. He felt old and tired and being dragged out into battle again and again. Here? They just get rid of all of that and he is portrayed similarly to the Skullcrawlers from Kong Skull Island, like some kind of slithering lizard thing.

I really didn't enjoy seeing Godzilla on screen at all. Huge disappointment.

Godzilla did get a giant dose of Mothra-steroids and has seen quite a bit of evolution based on these recharges he's recieved since 2014. We learn that he's triggered by power and sensing evil, unnatural power with mechanized Ghidorah set him way off.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
See, I think the previous two movies (especially KotM) overall were bad at attributing proper scale (which should also limit how fast something can move though, and that's contrary to the types of fights the western directors have wanted). Shin Godzilla portrayed scale extremely well on the other hand.

So now that I just 100% completely gave up on these movies capturing the sheer magnitude of the scale involved in any way, I was able to really enjoy these fights. But I don't categorize them mentally as giant monster fights, but rather just monster fights. Like these films are godawful from the perspective of wanting to see BIG FUCKING THINGS fight, because the physics and even camerawork are so contrary to what a more grounded portrayal of two objects the sizes of skyscrapers falling over would look like. I basically just have to pretend the buildings and monsters are like 10x smaller than they actually are and it allows me to have fun with it.
That's just the appeal of the genre outside of like Pacific Rim, Godzilla 2014, a few KOTM scenes, and Gamera 2/3

I would love a proper ENORMOUS movie
enormous10-11.jpg

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The fights were cool but they made the human elements SO BORING. Cut the Millie Bobbie Brown squad out of the movie entirely, holy shit. Even the Hollow Earth segment was very uneventful.

The only characters worth half a damn were the little girl and Rebecca Hall.

All I could think afterward is that a much better movie existed of this where it shows the little girl signing with Kong early on so moments like "be careful" can be callbacks to her using that in a different context, making it much more impactful and less cheesy.

Whoever did punch ups to the script got away with highway robbery, imagine adding in "going viral!" to your already extraneous character taking pictures inside of Apex HQ.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Movie done. Maybe I am being too harsh, but I really did not like that. And I wanted to like it a lot. The previous two movies, with all their flaws, had weight and scale with these monsters. It was lost in this one. The music was generic. The humans were somehow worse than the previous one. The dialogue was especially bad. That was a pretty big letdown sadly. Glad others seemed to enjoy it though. My son did at least, and now is asking me a million questions about Godzilla.

Yeah. The lack of weightiness was odd coming after Godzilla KOTM. But in revisiting fight clips from the past movies, it's similar to Kong Skull Island. In many ways this feels like a Kong Skull Island follow up more than Godzilla, despite the returning cast from KOTM.

On scale, admittedly I'm not disappointed it didn't go this big, but I recall early chatter where we were thinking it'd be Godzilla and titans versus Kong and skullcrawlers. Apparently the intro to this says the other titans are gone? I haven't gone back to pause and check. Either way, limiting it to Godzilla, Kong, a handful of wild skullcrawlers, and mechagodzilla naturally feels smaller than how big KOTM went.

Oct 28, 2017
Just bad all around. Terrible dialogue. Could have left out all the hollow earth crap.

Mechagodzilla was cool.

The worst of the bunch. Made the 2014 movie look like a masterpiece.

goodretina

Dec 30, 2018
This was disappointing overall, but the fights were decent. Every single human plot line was terrible. It's unfortunately the worst movie of the series.

Also, you don't use a defibrillator for bradycardia. I did appreciate that they had Kong's pupils constrict when he held something up close to look at it (maybe a jet before he threw it?).

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but was the Mechagodzilla self-aware turn supposed to just be like rogue AI, or was it explicitly Ghidora's mind/will taking control? I feel like that part was not very clear.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but was the Mechagodzilla self-aware turn supposed to just be like rogue AI, or was it explicitly Ghidora's mind/will taking control? I feel like that part was not very clear.

It was Ghidorah. Ghidorah's mind was what Godzilla was sensing that provoked him to attack Apex facilities.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
The movie was pretty good but I felt the human stuff was the worst it's ever been. Every time Millie Bobby and the comedy relief duo were on screen I was like WHO FUCKING CARESS??! At least they didn't constantly interrupt the fights this time though I am a bit salty at them interfering with the MechaGodzilla fight by fucking up his spinny tail drill attack.

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
Godzilla knows Judo and he went Berserker barrage on Kong nearly killing him. Nuclear Godzilla from the last film would've stomped Mecha. They had to nerf Godzilla for the final fight.

Oct 25, 2017

Yep, the perfect Godzilla movie is one that uses it's scale and the monster weight to it's advantage. That's why I tend to like solo Godzilla films the most when it's not about the monster fighting, but framing how huge and dangerous a giant monster would be in a city. None of the Monsterverse films were really that interested in how average ordinary people would react to giant monster stomping around or displaying the amount of causalities they would create. Give me a Godzilla reboot with a tone similar to what that leaked Comic Con trailer teased back in 2012.

Godzilla 2014 was so close to getting it right out of all the Monsterverse, but they ruined the great directing framing with terrible story decisions, and the teasing that just came off as vindictive after a certain point. I honestly thought introducing the MUTOs or another monster in general was also a mistake because they ate up what limited screen time Godzilla had. Ironically as crappy as Emmerich's Godzilla 1998 was it's probably the only other American Godzilla movie to get scale right since Zilla was alot smaller than the real one, but still feels huge in that film thanks to the film establishing his size by constantly scaling it to the building around him etc.

Last edited:

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody else wish the movie went full stupid part way through the final battle by having Ghidorah heads and wings sprout out of Mecha Godzilla, thus transforming into Mecha Ghidorah?

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
They did so great with Godzilla's design but Mecha Godzilla's instead is all wrong proportion and otherwise.

Not much else to comment on, I've only otherwise seen the first movie and watched this because of the hbo thing. I was surprised he was featured (was that supposed to be a surprise?) but he has looked better.

Oct 25, 2017
I got a worse one for ya:
Monster Zero.
Ghidorah....

Ok.....? Not everything needs to be pointed out for fucks sake.

I hate the mechagodzilla one because it feels so meta
like it's just two dumbasses competing over who has the best name for the danger they are in
why
why would any normal person respond to another person like that, in a situation like this

one of them is like wow thats a robot godzilla, a very obvious and normal thing to state if you see a giant robot godzilla
but then the other one stops him and says...NO
KelEYVM.gif

let me stop you right there my fellow pointless character
are you not familiar with the showa or heisei eras?
it's name is mechagodzilla
because that's what it was called in 1974's godzilla vs mechagodzilla
[and then the script looks the nerds in the audience dead in the eye and winks at them]

it's so contrived my eyes almost roll out of my skull hearing it

it could have been more natural if they had simply learned that was Apex's name for it. One of the characters reads it off a screen. Or that loudspeaker says "All personnel clear mechagodzilla testing arena." There. Now it's a real name that future characters can use to reference it, and not just some awkward nerd shit that nobody else in-universe even knows about.

if you were walking down the road with your bro and saw a giant lion coming your way, and you said "wow that's a giant lion"
and then your bro was like "NO. THAT'S....TITANOCAT!"
would you not look at him and be like "okay? what the fuck is wrong with you?"
(...followed quickly by "whatever dude we just need to get the fuck out of here")

i am unreasonably annoyed by this extremely minor but very dumb moment in the movie
like how can you write this on a page with your fingers and not immediately backspace

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
meh meh meh ....
the 2014 movie was the best... of all of them... this movie was 10 minutes of cgi popcorn... i think it was meh but really the animation looked like transformers..IE( God and Kong had ZERO WEIGHT in there animations )... they looked like they were floating or didnt weight millions of tons lol.... the cgi in the 2014 movie was waay more subtle even though it wasn't as good as it is now.. it being a 7 year old movie but showed the insane weight and mass these monsters have... but this movie wasn't that good and the kids scenes with Millie had no point what so ever and didn't even need to be in the movie..

Gareth Edwards is by far the best director the series had and the others just made every movie feel like a different "different" movie but with the same monster...

shame... i hope they give it a rest tbh...

vinnygambini

Dec 11, 2018
I hate the mechagodzilla one because it feels so meta
like it's just two dumbasses competing over who has the best name for the danger they are in
why
why would any normal person respond to another person like that, in a situation like this

one of them is like wow thats a robot godzilla, a very obvious and normal thing to state if you see a giant robot godzilla
but then the other one stops him and says...NO
KelEYVM.gif

let me stop you right there my fellow pointless character
are you not familiar with the showa or heisei eras?
it's name is mechagodzilla
because that's what it was called in 1974's godzilla vs mechagodzilla
and then the script looks the nerds in the audience dead in the eye and winks at them

it's so contrived my eyes almost roll out of my skull hearing it

it would have been more natural if that was just literally Apex's name for it. Listed on a screen somewhere. One of the characters reads it off a screen. There. Now it's a real name that future characters can use to reference it, and not just some awkward nerd shit that nobody else in-universe even knows about.

if you were walking down the road with your bro and saw a giant lion coming your way, and you said "wow that's a giant lion"
and then your bro was like "NO. THAT'S....TITANOCAT!"
would you not look at him and be like "okay? what the fuck is wrong with you?"
(...followed quickly by "whatever dude we just need to get the fuck out of here")

i am unreasonably annoyed by this extremely minor but very dumb moment in the movie
like how can you write this on a page with your fingers and not immediately backspace

I had a good laugh whilst reading this 😂

A TITANOCAT!!! Thank you for this, made my evening.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
The movie was stupid fun, and i actually appreciate all the callbacks and history tying into the previous movies for the world building aspect, but it was problematic even in that regard. Even compared to KOTM, the tech jump to what Apex had was kind of ridiculous, but obviously necessitated by the plot if you were to believe a company could build MG, but still very excessive when you look back at the 2014 movie which was pretty much just current-day tech.

I do think Godzilla himself was done kind of dirty, because he really is just pretty much an asshole in this. Kong, since he's being characterized as the smarter of the two and able to make actual connections with humans, is just much more sympathetic since he is actually not fully operating out of self-interest by the end, whereas Godzilla is basically just acting out of "must be alpha" instinct.

Everyone else already talked about the human plotline. I don't mind the KOTM cast being in it, but there were less annoying ways to use them to give us a reason to see the Apex stuff.

I guess a plot hole that bothers me is that the credit scene in KOTM shows Jonah getting the Ghidorah head, but here it's being used for something completely antithetical to what's Jonah's actual interests would be, that is destroying the titans and having humans controlling the apex titan.

Jun 22, 2019
Ironically as crappy as Emmerich's Godzilla 1998 was it's probably the only other American Godzilla movie to get scale right since Zilla was alot smaller than the real one, but still feels huge in that film thanks to the film establishing his size by constantly scaling it to the building around him etc.

It's funny though because that slender body build (at what is still such a massive size for an animal) looks ludicrous. At least 2014 Godzilla looks like it can support its own weight when bipedal.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When Godzilla got down in bear mode and just started shredding the shit out of Kong that was some hype shit. Kong was fast enough and strong enough to make Atomic breath a pain in the ass to use forcing Godzilla to embrace his size and strength and go to town

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
So fucking stupid, ok a giant ape punching a giant lizard should be stupid fun, I get it. But the Eleven subplot - the trio walking into billion dollar facilities, taking a tunnel across the world while spouting bad dialogue- so bad. Then little girl, why is she the only person that can communicate with Kong using sign? Why is a little child on a dangerous expedition into the core of the planet? Why is Kong on a boat where he will be attacked by Godzilla when he can be choppered much faster and cheaper to the destination? Let Godzilla destroy billions of dollars worth of battleships because reasons? Come on.

How is Skull Island the only one to get it right, even though it was dumb as well? Aesthetically it looked soooo good.

Last edited:

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
I posted this in the OT but this seems more active:

So quick couple questions before jumping in, I've seen 2014 and that's it

1.) do I need to watch king of the monsters and skull mountain?

2.) if no to either, should I watch King of the Monsters or Skull Mountain?

Oct 25, 2017
To earn Kyle Chandler a paycheck.

Good enough for me.

1. No, you'll be a little confused about why Millie Bobby Brown is there, but so is the movie.

2. Sure. Skull Island is pretty good. King of Monsters has some cool fight stuff but I think the general consensus is that it isn't as good.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Did they ever say what happened to Charles Dance's character from KotM? Dude just disappeared.

And were all the other titans just chilling somewhere?

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
Good enough for me.

1. No, you'll be a little confused about why Millie Bobby Brown is there, but so is the movie.

2. Sure. Skull Island is pretty good. King of Monsters has some cool fight stuff but I think the general consensus is that it isn't as good.

Appreciate it!

I think I'll watch skull and synopsis KOTM then.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I really hated this movie, but the only one ive liked out of these movies was Kong Skull Island...so maybe they really just arent for me. They killed literally every single interesting human character in the previous movies. The fights just seemed kinda lackluster in this too, and it was annoying they were constantly interrupted with human shit. They could've cut all of Millie Bobby Browns group from the movie and just found some other reason that liquid poured on the machine and that wouldve been it. I cant even remember anything else worthwhile that they did.

Oct 25, 2017

King of the Monsters kinda sucks but it can be fun if you're like, browsing your phone during the movie and pay more attention when cool stuff is happening. I normally don't condone that, but for KotM that actually makes it bettter.
A couple plot threads from that movie do carry on into this new movie. Will you be totally lost without it? Probably not. But it will add to your understanding of things during GvK. One of my favorite details from this new movie carries on from something in KotM. But it's not crucial if you just wanna roll with it.

to be honest GvK is kinda all bullshit in the plot department anyway, im not sure anything really matters

However Kong: Skull Island is actually good. Probably the best one of this series. You should watch that one!

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl

It explains most of it for you. But you should watch them anyways.

Oct 25, 2017
Did they ever say what happened to Charles Dance's character from KotM? Dude just disappeared.

And were all the other titans just chilling somewhere?
I think this movie is like 5 years or something after KOTM. So presumably he's dead and they recovered the Ghidorah head from his terrorist group which was also suspiciously absent.

It's funny though because that slender body build (at what is still such a massive size for an animal) looks ludicrous. At least 2014 Godzilla looks like it can support its own weight when bipedal.
The animated series at least let him stand up straight like the real Godzilla, which it never did in the film and it looks heck of a lot better for it. The cartoon is the only thing piece of media that salvaged that Godzilla's design and character.