• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I thought the movie was great...just not as good as Godzilla (2014) or Skull Island. So even in the Hollow Earth, there are no more of Kong's species right?

Jun 22, 2019

Literally yelled "NO! Stop it!" out loud when they kept cutting away from the Mechagodzilla fight to show that stupid group spilling alcohol and cheering. This movie was way better about not chopping up the fights to cut away to bullshit compared to past entries, and then that started happening and literally ruined the last fight for me.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the movie was great...just not as good as Godzilla (2014) or Skull Island. So even in the Hollow Earth, there are no more of Kong's species right?
They've since evolved and ascended to the stars

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like some of y'all just haven't come to grips with how common cut aways during fights really are. Unless the movie is literally about 2 characters you're going to get cut aways. It's telling here that we're not complaining about the cutaways to jump starting kongs heart, and complaining about cut aways to kids spilling alcohol. Both of these happened in tandem, one of them was compelling enough and one wasn't. The cut away isn't an inherent issue, and asking for less cut aways is asking for a tangibly worse movie at some point.

Jun 22, 2019
I feel like some of y'all just haven't come to grips with how common cut aways during fights really are. Unless the movie is literally about 2 characters you're going to get cut aways. It's telling here that we're not complaining about the cutaways to jump starting kongs heart, and complaining about cut aways to kids spilling alcohol. Both of these happened in tandem, one of them was compelling enough and one wasn't. The cut away isn't an inherent issue, and asking for less cut aways is asking for a tangibly worse movie at some point.

This ain't it.

Edit: Fuck, accidentally hit post early. Whatever, TLDR is the Kong heart restart was also dumb but I didn't hate it as much as the kids+conspiracy theorist, and of course how annoying cut-aways are is proportionate to the difference in how compelling the things you're cuttinf between are. In general, the last fight ended up having too many cut-aways and ruined the flow the prior scuffles managed to mostly maintain. They literally had cuts to the kids that lasted only seconds at times (like when they cheer as the audience stand-in for a split second, ugh).

Last edited:

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's nice to see the F-35 being useful for once -

2r0n5b6.gif

If you removed everything with Eleven, Ricky Baker, and low-key copy of the guy who goes "I ate the whole plate!" in Transformers, then I might feel like rewatching this movie some day. With them in, I don't think I will ever watch it a second time.
They felt like they belong in a different movie, because honestly, they were.
But if I ever rewatch the movie I'll probably just fast forward to the monster fights, the "human parts" were serviceable to bad for me, and I am not watching movies like that for them anyway.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
So why didn't Godzilla kill Kong when he had him pinned down? Aside from Kong needing to be alive for the end of the movie to go all Kratos on Mecha (best part of the movie starting when Godzilla charged the axe)

Did he respect him too damn much to kill him?

Kong is such a wonderfully realized character, I hope they make more movies with him so we can continue to see him grow and learn. The relationship with him and the little girl was better than any of the human elements in the Godzilla movies and really humanized Kong.
Besides being a callback to the first GvKK movie, it was because Godzilla wanted to assert dominance but after Kong refused to yield he went "Eh, you're beat. I won anyways". But after Kong saved Godzilla and helped beat Mechagodzilla, Godzilla viewed him as 'equal' of sorts and didn't wanna challenge him anymore.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Besides being a callback to the first GvKK movie, it was because Godzilla wanted to assert dominance but after Kong refused to yield he went "Eh, you're beat. I won anyways". But after Kong saved Godzilla and helped beat Mechagodzilla, Godzilla viewed him as 'equal' of sorts and didn't wanna challenge him anymore.
See, Kong didn't want anything to do with all that alpha-dominance crap. If they had just talked about it over a nice vat of radioactive coffee, I'm sure they could have worked it out. Would have made for a much more boring movie, though.

Jun 22, 2019
Quadrupedal Godzilla was the best part of the movie for me. Although how they framed that video-game styled "throw object to distract the enemy, then stealth attack" was too silly even for how silly everything already was. They shoulda done a different angle and had Kong throw the thing farther and in a larger upward arc.

Last edited:

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Brian Tyree Henry deserves a razzie for this. I feel bad for the guy though, Wingard wanted that performance. :|

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Am I the only one that thinks the villain kind of had a point for moment there? Is the moral of the movie supposed to be that humanity really should be subjected to Godzilla's whims? They went too far with the Mecha, sure, but what if at some point Godzilla deems the human race to be a threat again even if we aren't necessarily making a weapon to fight it? If Mechagodzilla had not lost control would it really be a terrible thing, worse than Kaiju basically controlling the earth? What if instead of retaliating to the mere existence of Mecha, this Godzilla went like the one in that Godzilla Earth movie, and decided that it doesn't want humans in it's domain anymore?

Idk, it's just kind of fucked up that Godzilla can be the "arbiter" of how far humans can go and all.

Oct 25, 2017
This ain't it.

Edit: Fuck, accidentally hit post early. Whatever, TLDR is the Kong heart restart was also dumb but I didn't hate it as much as the kids+conspiracy theorist, and they literally had cuts to the kids that lasted only a few seconds at times (like when they cheer as the audience stand-in, ugh).

See, you say you don't agree but then your text agrees. One part was executed better than the other part and therefor wasn't as much of an issue, therefor we can conceive of a cut away to something thats compelling enough that it wouldn't be an issue at all.

Jun 22, 2019
See, you say you don't agree but then your text agrees. One part was executed better than the other part and therefor wasn't as much of an issue, therefor we can conceive of a cut away to something thats compelling enough that it wouldn't be an issue at all.

No the cuts would still be an issue without the kids. It's just that it would be like a 6/10 on the annoying scale whereas the kids were a 13/10 on the annoying scale, and only further compounded the amount of cut-aways, so they're gonna get the vast amount of the flak.

Edit: Also can you imagine if in a televised boxing match, the commercial breaks were placed during the 3 minute rounds rather than during the 1 minute break between rounds? That's what it feels like to cut away to non-action scenes from a scene where the action hasn't reached a natural break period yet. The movie surprised me with how much it managed to not screw shit up like in KotM until the final fight.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
No the cuts would still be an issue without the kids. It's just that it would be like a 6/10 on the annoying scale whereas the kids were a 13/10 on the annoying scale, and only further compounded the amount of cut-aways.

Again, you're tacitly agreeing with me here by admitting that one is less worse than the other and even applying a scale that allows for the possibility of 0/10 (aka a cut away that isnt annoying at all).

I'm just gonna point out lauded action movies like Infinity War or Mad Max have plenty of cut aways but nobody is sitting around complaining about them because they were cutting to otherwise fine content.

Jun 22, 2019
Again, you're tacitly agreeing with me here by admitting that one is less worse than the other and even applying a scale that allows for the possibility of 0/10 (aka a cut away that isnt annoying at all).

I'm just gonna point out lauded action movies like Infinity War or Mad Max have plenty of cut aways but nobody is sitting around complaining about them because they were cutting to otherwise fine content.

Okay let's agree to (mostly?) agree then, cause I don't wanna get into the nitty-grittiness of thinking about Mad Max FR cuts and then mentally doing a compare and contrast to my memory of GvK, lol.

In summary, I think that if you're gonna cut from a mid-action monster fight (in a movie people watch for the monster fights), nearly the only thing you should be cutting to is another monster fight (one that hopefully ties in some way to the first monster fight because why else the need for the cut). Otherwise, you're ruining the experience. So the issue is still with the cuts before the fight subsides to dumb shit that people care less about. I feel like you're boiling it down to a nebulous "well if you do something really well, anything can work" which like... yeah. But the cuts during the Mechagodzilla fight certainly did not work.

Oct 25, 2017
so no Mega Godzilla after all huh
this GvK toy seems to have vanished from existence
6uoHXWX.png

swEwHWI.jpg

"MEGA GODZILLA with Anatomech Armor"

Last edited:

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
The human plot with the little girl were pretty good but I didn't care much for Millie Bobby Brown's story.

The hollow earth stuff was really cool, the mythos introduced there and visuals were all super interesting.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck this movie was even dumber than expected. One of the dumbest scenes: Godzilla "drills" what, 600km straight into hollow earth? And then they upload that energy shit in 1 minute from there to the surface? Reminded me of the Independence Day virus scene... good god

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I love that in a movie that absolutely did not have to go crazy and do something like Hollow Earth they went crazy and did something like Hollow Earth. The first GvK fight in Hong Kong is one of my favorite giant monster fights in recent history, the neon and the ways Kong used the buildings were great.

Am I the only one that thinks the villain kind of had a point for moment there? Is the moral of the movie supposed to be that humanity really should be subjected to Godzilla's whims? They went too far with the Mecha, sure, but what if at some point Godzilla deems the human race to be a threat again even if we aren't necessarily making a weapon to fight it? If Mechagodzilla had not lost control would it really be a terrible thing, worse than Kaiju basically controlling the earth? What if instead of retaliating to the mere existence of Mecha, this Godzilla went like the one in that Godzilla Earth movie, and decided that it doesn't want humans in it's domain anymore?

Idk, it's just kind of fucked up that Godzilla can be the "arbiter" of how far humans can go and all.

As far as I'm aware, hasn't Godzilla always actually been right, though? Like, Apex is clearly evil and all Mechagodzilla is going to do is make Apex's president king of the planet and I'm kinda feeling like a god dinosaur that lives to protect the planet is a better arbiter of world safety than a tech billionaire. And, arguably, mankind is the most dangerous thing on the planet, so Godzilla turning on us would probably still be in the planet's best interest were it to ever happen.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Let's not forget the final staredown

Godzilla: I'm not leaving till you put that axe down 😡
Kong: Chill out bruh, I thought we were friends now?
Godzilla: 😡
Kong: Ok, you win 😰
nah bro, I felt like that was Kong being "gtfo, big ass lizard.
It's gif time baby.

Godzilla vs Kong: Round 2

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Kong vs Mechagodzilla

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
Get a gif of when Kong knocked out Godzilla. That was hype and clear indication that he won round 2.

Pandaman

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
nah bro, I felt like that was Kong being "gtfo, big ass lizard.

Get a gif of when Kong knocked out Godzilla. That was hype and clear indication that he won round 2.
"knocked out".

He was knocked down for 30 seconds. They had to insert a scene of a main character calling the round for Kong just so people wouldn't confuse round 2 and 3 for being one big fight that Zilla wins.

Oct 27, 2017
I watched all 28 rubber suit Godzilla flicks in 30 days leading up to GvK and GvK's human stuff falls right in with most of those flicks. I swear people think something from Hollywood or native language should equal high art or something lol.

Oct 27, 2017
I watched all 28 rubber suit Godzilla flicks in 30 days leading up to GvK and GvK's human stuff falls right in with most of those flicks. I swear people think something from Hollywood or native language should equal high art or something lol.
I haven't watched all of them but I've watched most, and I don't really agree with this.

Most of the Toho films know exactly how much depth to provide and how to propell a story towards a climactic monster fight.

Ya look at some of the wackiest Showa Era like Astro Monsters, or Ebirah, Hedorah, or hell, Godzilla 54, the human elements are integral and additive to the experience and don't detract from it.

I would argue, only a few of the worst Godzilla have this problem and this movie is definitely one of them. I don't even think KotM or 2014 have this problem.

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't watched all of them but I've watched most, and I don't really agree with this.

Most of the Toho films know exactly how much depth to provide and how to propell a story towards a climactic monster fight.

Ya look at some of the wackiest Showa Era like Astro Monsters, or Ebirah, Hedorah, or hell, Godzilla 54, the human elements are integral and additive to the experience and don't detract from it.

I would argue, only a few of the worst Godzilla have this problem and this movie is definitely one of them. I don't even think KotM or 2014 have this problem.
I said most and by no means would ever mean the original.

But there was a ton of cheesy fluff in these films and that's why they're riff tracked. If it's too serious, it'll get chewed with "just show us giant monsters fighting". And if it's just Giant monsters fighting, we don't get the reason for riff tracking.

The other option is making King of the Monsters where you go too dumb, too serious and hardly any monster fighting lol.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
"Guess round two goes to Kong"

> proceeds to get owned so hard minutes later in the same fight that his fucking heart almost stops

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Also all I could think of when I saw Madison and co in the machine that took them to Hong Kong was, "Damn Apex beat Musk to it"

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I spent the $25 to watch this because it sounded like word of mouth was good but I don't really see how it was any better than KotM. Super cliche dialogue, lame subplots, and I didn't really think the monster fighting was any better than the last movie, where at least King Ghidorah pulls off some cool poses and scale that Kong just can't match. Mechagodzilla was whatever.

I watched Shin Godzilla a few days before this for the first time and yeah, I think I'd easily rather have more of that.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
When Godzilla puts his foot on Kongs chest and he is basically like "don't make me kill you because I could" was legit great.

Parris said it best

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017

Not really. Subject to Godzilla's whims? Godzilla is just chilling out in the ocean somewhere until a bunch of asshole humans decide to unleash Ghidorah and create a super robot. If humanity would just learn to leave well enough alone, then none of that destruction happens.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I spent the $25 to watch this because it sounded like word of mouth was good but I don't really see how it was any better than KotM. Super cliche dialogue, lame subplots, and I didn't really think the monster fighting was any better than the last movie, where at least King Ghidorah pulls off some cool poses and scale that Kong just can't match. Mechagodzilla was whatever.

I watched Shin Godzilla a few days before this for the first time and yeah, I think I'd easily rather have more of that.

We are in the same boat. Shin blew me away. Darkly funny and unsettling at the same time. That version of Godzilla was legit scary as hell to me.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Fuck this movie was even dumber than expected. One of the dumbest scenes: Godzilla "drills" what, 600km straight into hollow earth? And then they upload that energy shit in 1 minute from there to the surface? Reminded me of the Independence Day virus scene... good god

Yeah, I know you shouldn't think too hard about these type of movies, but... man...

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
When Godzilla puts his foot on Kongs chest and he is basically like "don't make me kill you because I could" was legit great.
Zilla is like a horror movie villain in this honestly, it's so good. Like even at the end after MG is dead and Kong and Zilla square off at each other again he just shoots a look at him straight daring him to start shit and makes Kong lay down arms.

Booshka

Banned
May 8, 2018
Colton, CA
Wife and I just watched it, thought it was super dumb and all the dialogue sucked. However, the last 30 minutes was pretty great for entertainment value. We watched it at home, so not as disappointed because it's just another mediocre to bad movie on a streaming service.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm an hour in, but if I don't hear Bear McCreary's Godzilla track in this by the end, I am going to flip some god damn tables.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Jia and Kong are the mvp's. Easily the strongest parts of the movie for me lol.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
Loved this.

I liked Edwards' 2014 Godzilla, it's still the one with the best portrayal of human characters and generally seeing events unfold from a human perspective. And I thought the monster action in it was good, though it has the least of the Monsterverse.

Kong: Skull Island was a film that didn't work for me. I know a lot of people love it, and that's cool. To me it seemed like a bunch of moments that sounded cool in isolation strung together but none of it excited me.

Godzilla: King of the Monsters had great monster action. Unfortunately, everything with the humans who took up the majority of that film's runtime made me want to claw my eyes out and the dialogue was ear-burning.

Godzilla vs Kong... Among the finest kaiju action put to screen. I watched it on my 15" laptop and still squealed with joy every five minutes at the action. I avoided the leaks and trailer so there were a lot of nice surprises for me. The human stuff in this is... well, barely there, and the humour is hit-and-miss, but at least none of the dialogue grated and it was kept short. I'll likely watch this again on my laptop before my iTunes rental period ends, and will definitely want to see it in IMAX here in the UK when I get the chance. Also liked Junkie XL's score.

So Godzilla doesn't die at the end of this? Glad to hear they changed that bit from the leaked script--hated that version.

What else happened in that version?

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Decent film, no more than a 7/10. CGI was very good but the 5.1 audio was amazing, felt every boom in my ear

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
Did anyone else pick up on the music cue towards the end that sounded like it was from Michael Nyman's score for The Piano?

Jun 22, 2019
It's funny to me how a lot of the jank CGI was not during the fights at all, but when the monsters are staying relatively still (which is good if you're going to have any jank CGI in the first place, I guess).

Like I recall the scene where Kong eats fish looking crappy.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Jia and Kong are the mvp's. Easily the strongest parts of the movie for me lol.
Jia, Kong, and Godzilla were the best actors in the movie.

Rewatching the fight scene... when Kong got decimated by Godzilla and he's on the ground surrounded by buildings on fire, I thought to myself, "Some people might still be alive in those buildings!" and then Kong proceeds to cave in the roof of one of the buildings trying to stand up, lmao. He also kills dozens of people when he slams his shoulder into a building to reset his arm. Obviously people are dying all over the place in this movie but those two scenes were funny in a horrible way to me.

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this common with these kind of films, i.e. come up with all sorts of wacky depictions and permutations of characters that aren't from the film and are just a way to sell more toys?
yes, that happens
however
I think the fact that this product got pulled and is no longer getting released implies that it's possibly cut content from early development rather than wacky toy (if it were wacky it wouldn't matter they'd just release it)
it's also the only figure from that early preview that didn't make it to release, and there were no other outlandish variants to imply that that's a thing they're doing with this toyline
toys are often glimpses into early movie development because of how early they need to begin toy development to get them out in time for the movie
(one of the most interesting prior examples for me was the 2007 transformers movie toys, half of the released figures were based on already outdated concepts)

Last edited: