• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
I think Eiza Gonzales' character is kind of deliberately supposed to be a really stupid character who doesn't really understand what's going on

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
This isn't the movies fault. However, freaking Qanon has ruined the whole movie trope where one person with conspiracy theories knows the truth.

Yeah, it made me uncomfortable, especially after the Capitol riots.

godzilla_vs_kong_roar__by_mnstrfrc_deere78-fullview.jpg

"Dude, you need a Tic-tac."

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
You can definitely tell this movie was written 3 years ago back when QAnon was barely a thing.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Really? Didn´t they literally use the Fukushima nuclear tragedy as a plot point in the first film :D

It did, but there's other places in the world you can have Kaiju blow up that won't risk upsetting people :)

I do remember some push back at the time of Godzilla's 2014 release over the Fukushima stuff.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
You can definitely tell this movie was written 3 years ago back when QAnon was barely a thing.
Before then you had/have birther psychos and 9/11 truthers and so on. That seems like a huge difference from like Roswell/Area 51/etc. conspiracy nut

Character paranoid over monsters or aliens or demons or secret agency or MIB discovering monsters, aliens, demons, etc. are real isn't a QANON thing

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
The difference between 2014 Godzilla and Shin Godzilla is subtext. Which is to say: the American movie doesn't understand the concept, given that it literally opens with a Japanese nuclear plant getting hit by an earthquake. Whereas Shin Godzilla's satirical bureaucratic fumbling echoes the events of 2011 rather than copy the inciting incident literally.

Oct 27, 2017
I do wish we got some more info regarding Kong worshippers and Godzilla worshippers and what happened.

I'd love to see a sequel with flashbacks showing an alien race coming and mostly wiping out the hollow Earth civilization with Ghidorah and Megalon and make Gigan from MechaGodzilla parts (in the present). All this triggered by Kong/Monarch/Apex opening their tomb/unlocking access to the outer Earth yadda yadda.

Would also be nice to see Godzilla's evolution post hollow Earth exodus showing how mankind's wars and nuclear weapons created the Earth protector he became.

Flesh out the star, dang it!

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ya know, the hollow earth shit bugs the hell out of me, and it's entirely because it's called "hollow earth" and not some random sci fi shit. It feels like it's giving credence to IRL wackjobs going on about flat earth hollow earth lizard people etc. Remove that framing and I'd be into it, to a point. It kinda needed its own movie tbh, "the land of monsters," instead of just being a waypoint in a larger plot. Let "where are these monsters coming from" be a question mark and finally discovered, not this "hollow earth hollow earth" conspiracy theory stuff woven through the last three flicks.

Oct 25, 2017
Cast definitely needed some slimming, bloated script when it came to characters. If they condensed some of them down, the remaining characters probably would have made greater individual impacts. As they are, they're mostly equally bland across the board. Characterization and utility spread too thin.

Eiza González's cringy CEO daughter should have been cut, completely unnecessary character. Plot changes zero percent if you just have the Apex miltia do their job without her dumb commentary.

Julian Dennison's bayformers-esque sidekick should have been cut, completely unnecessary character. Plot changes zero percent if Brian Tyree Henry and Millie are working together without him. And I do not appreciate those characters existing to legitimize conspiracy bullshit like government fluoride and the Illuminati.

Skarsgård's entire role could have been handled by Rebecca Hall's character with only minor tweaks to the plot. Or the other way around.

What even was Ren Serizawa? That character could have probably replaced/absorbed Demián Bichir's Apex CEO character.

The only character that seems both relevant, utilized and likable in this movie is Kaylee Hottle's Jia. She's the audience conduit with which the movie humanizes Kong to allow a monster to more easily be a protagonist. And she's cute & unique.

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017
They coulda scrapped the entire hollow earth plot and just had Kong find that chamber and ax on Skull island.

Oct 25, 2017
My vote for most cringy lines in the entire movie:

It's like a robot godzilla!
No...it's MECHA godzilla!

thanks?

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
My vote for most cringy lines in the entire movie:

It's like a robot godzilla!
No...it's MECHA godzilla!

thanks?

Worked for me, reminded me of the English dub of the original Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla. "You could call it a Mechagodzilla."

Actually really glad they dropped his name, there's a lot of people unfamiliar with Godzilla characters.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
The slightly nerdy kid dubbing him MechaGodzilla seemed fine to me

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017
So are going into another dark age of no Kaiju films. Man 2014 was a glorious time. Pacific Rim, Godzilla, Shin.

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
So are going into another dark age of no Kaiju films. Man 2014 was a glorious time. Pacific Rim, Godzilla, Shin.

Well we do have the Godzilla anime soon, and Toho might reboot Godzilla again at some point. They announced something called "World of Godzilla" a few years ago, not sure if they still plan on doing it or not.

Outside of that we just have to hope this films success leads to more films in the Monsterverse.

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
I was expecting a dumb movie but this was even dumber than I expected. Lol. But I guess it's somewhat entertaining. I think KOTM had the cooler monsters but this has better fights. Not too happy with Godzilla basically being sidelined though. I wish they'd finish off mecha Godzilla with a tag team move or something.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
I really love chunky thicc boy lifter G. Sad to think this the last we will see of him.
I hope Toho and Legendary work out a deal thats a little more mutually benefitial. I'd also like to see the Monsterverse continue.

I wonder if Legendary and WB are thinking the same thing since it sounds like GvK is gonna have a solid box office.

Javier

Oct 27, 2017
Chile
What a fucking waste of a time.

4/10 and the 4 is because of monke getting destroyed most of the movie.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
If by some miracle we get another installment, they better bring Wingard back. Dude watched every single Godzilla and Kong film and it showed.

Oct 25, 2017
If by some miracle we get another installment, they better bring Wingard back. Dude watched every single Godzilla and Kong film and it showed.
Naw if you really want the best you bring Jordan Vogt-Roberts back. He also had the good visible action, but also maintained the sense of scale, kept the story relatively unconvoluted, and made the human characters tolerable.
Wingard only managed one out of those four things. One and a half at best.

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
I want one more Legendary film with Hedorah and/or Biollante
Considering that GvK kind of introduced the idea of man fucking around with kaiju biology a little, Biollante seems like a logical next step.

I also just want another Biollante movie because Biollante is fucking awesome and one of the most intimidating looking monsters.

godzilla-1194461-1280x0.jpeg

When you're out here making Godzilla look small in comparison, you mean business.

Nov 5, 2017
Considering that GvK kind of introduced the idea of man fucking around with kaiju biology a little, Biollante seems like a logical next step.

I also just want another Biollante movie because Biollante is fucking awesome and one of the most intimidating looking monsters.

godzilla-1194461-1280x0.jpeg

When you're out here making Godzilla look small in comparison, you mean business.
Exactly. Biollante and Hedorah with a Hollywood budget would be fucking terrifying.

Oct 25, 2017
Saw it last night. I found Kong to be well represented, and I liked his journey and his human companions.

Godzilla, by comparison, is already showing its limitations as a character after only three movies. His origin as a symbol of Japan´s nuclear fears is long gone, and now he lacks any complexity. By the end of the movie, IMHO he even lost that "force of nature" status they gave him in the 2014 one, in part to the brutal beating he received. Also, the human part of his story is still a mess, even if Millie Bobby Brown has a lot of potential as an actress.

GvK made me want to revisit the first Pacific Rim to check how it aged.
They kind of screwed up, and cut all of Godzilla's original subtext for the Monsterverse, opting to make being some ancient monster where's a nuclear sub woke him up instead of him being a man made accident created from the atomic bomb.

It's not as bad as Zilla 98, but American films are still scared to use his original atomic origins as his backstory and really delve into it. That choice definitely hurt his American films in the long run considering he can't even be a good guy anymore since Kong exists now. I really wish they would have went all in of the anti hero/villain Godzilla in the 2014 film.

Rockodile

Dec 7, 2018
Biollante has the potential to look incredible! However, the kaiju I want to see most is Anguirus. No! That easter egg in KOTM isn't enough!

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom

Pacific Rim was in 2013 was it not?

I do suspect that it was the film that kickstarted the Western kaiju movies though. Guillermo Del Toro very openly talked about having ideas for having a potential crossover with Godzilla, both of which were being produced by Legendary.

Oct 27, 2017
They coulda scrapped the entire hollow earth plot and just had Kong find that chamber and ax on Skull island.

As clunky as it's execution may have been, I really like the idea of the Hollow Earth. They honestly could have made a film out of that plot point alone. It also opens up some more possibilities if they decide to continue the franchise with Kong.

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
As clunky as it's execution may have been, I really like the idea of the Hollow Earth. They honestly could have made a film out of that plot point alone. It also opens up some more possibilities if they decide to continue the franchise with Kong.
Yeah, would love to see Kong: Hollow Earth.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I liked the monsters fighting. Hollow Earth was neat. The human stuff with the scientists was okay. The Demian Bechir / Mechagodzilla setup was okay. The MBB/BTH plot was pretty bad though and the movie would have been better off without it. Why was Kyle Chandler in this.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I love the Hollow Earth thing because it's just about the dumbest thing I've ever heard and that enhances the giant ape fighting a radioactive dinosaur to me. It just fits the vibe so well I love it.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Given all the weird ancient civilizations and alien civilizations that show up in Godzilla films the Hollow Earth stuff is tame to me.

Jun 22, 2019
I liked the monsters fighting. Hollow Earth was neat. The human stuff with the scientists was okay. The Demian Bechir / Mechagodzilla setup was okay. The MBB/BTH plot was pretty bad though and the movie would have been better off without it. Why was Kyle Chandler in this.

If you removed everything with Eleven, Ricky Baker, and low-key copy of the guy who goes "I ate the whole plate!" in Transformers, then I might feel like rewatching this movie some day. With them in, I don't think I will ever watch it a second time.

Oct 25, 2017
I thought hollow earth land was neat but underutilized
the finally arrive at their destination and then they turn around like 30 seconds later, wished they had a good reason to spend more time down there since it's more interesting that most of what's going on at the surface with millie

Last edited: