• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I love that Mecha G was basically just a body that Ghidorah took over. It reminded me a lot of Godzilla 54 hijacking Kiryu in Godzilla x Mecha Godzilla.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Mecha Godzilla is clearly better than both smh. Turbo boosting that punch 🔥

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else instantly remembered Lethal Weapon when Kong poped back his arm? Lol

Anyway, I was expecting the plot to be dumb, but not this stupid. King of Monsters was a better movie and had better fights.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
That was exactly what I wanted from this movie. I just hope that the Monsterverse doesn't die here. Would love to see some more kaiju fights, although I have no idea where else can they take this franchise after this and King of the Monsters.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Also what was the point of Ren being the son of Serizawa? It's not like he has any sort of motivation like "Argh I'm gonna avenge my father because Titans are the reason he died!". He kinda is just there.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I am happy to admit I was wrong about this one. T'was enjoyable. Stupid, and a lot of the plotting made no sense a lot of the time (what the fuck is going on with Hollow Earth? No really). But I wasn't angry when watching it. The humans and their plots were characterized just enough to not be boring, but they weren't as annoying as the folks in King of the Monsters. Fights were excessively brutal. Like goddamn, Godzilla was relentless trying to kill Kong, and Mecha Godzilla gave the lizard that Michael Myers treatment across every skyscraper in the damn city.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
I really appreciated how easy it was to follow the action, especially after KotM and its endless "THERE IS A STORM AND IT'S DARK AND ALSO LOOK AT THE HUMANS RUNNING AROUND" moments.

Even the single night-time fight was extremely well-lit.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
The Madison/Conspiracy stuff was a colossal waste of time and was a constant downer. I hate this kind of goofy comedy, its written the same way in every single Hollywood action movie ever and its just grating. Also why are we presenting these conspiracy theories at all, the people who believe in them are genuinely awful people.

I think its funny that at the end of the movie, we have feel good moments while I am sure thousands of dead bodies litter Hong Kong. guess that just comes with the territory. The monster scenes were always really fun, but Id like to know how hollow earth gets its sunlight lol

The little girl is also just the cutest thing

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
King Kong vs Godzilla originally started out with one of Kong's creators Willis O' Brien trying to pitch a Kong sequel where he fights a creation from Frankenstein's son, but he could never find funding for it or get anyone to sign on. Toho eventually saw it, and got the rights, and changed it to Godzilla, and I imagine Kong having electricity powers was either a coincidence or left over portion from the original idea.
Ah gotcha. Had it a bit reversed I see. It was a long while ago that I had read the story.

SeroTyler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They say "looks like round 2 goes to Kong," but then Godzilla gets right up 3 minutes later and beats Kong so bad he goes into cardiac arrest. Easily the best American Godzilla movie.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I love the Monarch motif they have used for all the films, but I hate how they have basically stopped following Monarch in the movies. They are still around, but they arent the driving force behind the human characters in the film.

This movie felt like an actual crossover comic. Like sorta related to the Godzilla movies and the Kong movie, but its own thing that does something crazy like sending the characters to the center of the earth lol. wtf.

Oct 25, 2017
I like how at the end of the movie even after the huge beating godzilla took, he still was barely phased. Kong was barely alive but godzilla easily could have gone another round. They really showed off how indestructible godzilla is.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Think I'll be ok wearing this shirt to see this in theatres Saturday, or would it piss people off since "spoilers"?

teammechag.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
That one shot of mecha-G slamming real g around from inside of the office was great.

There were a lot of great shots, really. I enjoyed it for what it was.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
Just finished and it's easily the best of the series, damn humans continue to ruin these movies though, cant believe how much they got involved to help kong over and over, makes him look so fucking weak compared to Godzilla, hell Godzilla had to help his bumass too. Still the last part of this movie is exactly what we always wanted, just nonsensical destruction where they wouldve probably killed a million or so people toppling countless buildings, but it's all in good fun here.

also its kind of sad that they handled this universe so much better than the DCEU, we had 2 Godzilla films and 1 Kong film before they ever met, same shouldve been for BvS.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Any chance people seeing it at a distance would just assume it's the Ready Player One version?

There were multiple kaiju sweaters in my showing, mecha included. Why would anybody say anything to you? They're all Godzilla or King Kong fans and for all they know, you just like Mecha Godzilla. I can't imagine some dude in his seat just glancing at your Godzilla shirt in a Godzilla showing and getting pressed over it lol. What about people who aren't aware of him being in it and still choosing to wear the shirt?

I really don't think it's a big deal like you expect it to be. Just go and enjoy the movie.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Movie was genuinely great for me. Humans plot serves their purpose and I was very much drawn in to the hollowed earth but even if I don't actually understand it. Visually it said what it needed to say to me.

The director knew what people wanted from this movie and gave you what felt like 30+ minutes of titan combat. Was incredible. I genuinely has the sweats watching Kong try and escape the atomic breath. I did not consider that move alone would doom Kong.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It almost sounded like he was laughing after he finally landed a shot of his atomic breath on Kong, and gave that grin. We are getting to Showa levels of expression from this Godzilla, its great.

Okay that must've been it. Goddamn that whole segment was amazing. People think I'm playin when I say I want THAT for an hour and a half. Goddamn human drama is a slog. Well, in the American movies at least.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Watching the final fight sequence again. So good.

Like when are they gonna have a theme park ride where I ride through Middle Earth up through that hole, past Kong and around Godzilla's fire beam? Because that would be so fucking good.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I could actually see it being revealed that Ren survived Mecha's takeover. The electric shit put him in a coma but also imparted Ghidorah into him. So he'd be the main antagonist moving forward.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can't get over how good those colors looked when they fought in Japan. Imagine watching that segment on acid. Like they heard our cries about it being too dark and not only did they make the nighttime scene's "brighter" but the camera angles seem like they took some cues from the best action movies today. That was some good ass shit and I never had issues following the fight.

I like how they did a first person / fish eye effect on top of Godzilla's head when Kong was steering him around.

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
If they do another movie they gotta bring King Ghidorah back somehow. Since that skull seems to be functioning in some way maybe they could trigger something to cause regeneration. Godzilla and Kong fighting against King Ghidorah would be amazing.

fallengorn

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
That was a 2 hour Universal ride, for better or worse. Nearly everything was nonsensical, but it was really fun.

Give me Fast & Furious x Godzilla plz.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That was a 2 hour Universal ride, for better or worse. Nearly everything was nonsensical, but it was really fun.

Give me Fast & Furious x Godzilla plz.

Dude. Universal ride is a perfect description. So many first person styled camera takes in the cockpit felt like the Back to the Future ride at the amusement park. Haha.

Oct 25, 2017
If they do another movie they gotta bring King Ghidorah back somehow. Since that skull seems to be functioning in some way maybe they could trigger something to cause regeneration. Godzilla and Kong fighting against King Ghidorah would be amazing.
I thought it was strange that they setup Ghidorah's extreme regeneration ability, showed a whole intact head remaining at the end of the last one, and then in this movie it's basically a dry skull now that did no healing and looks deader than ever
(and undersized I think?)

but it was a neat idea for mechagodzilla to be kevin's revenge

however it should be easy enough to pull ghidorah out of their butts again if they wanted to, like you suggested
and I'd like it if they did
it would be nice to see an american ghidorah fight that I can see