• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Also what happened to the rest of those Titans at the end of KotM?
They just chilled while this was all happening?

Oct 25, 2017
Mecha was insanely powerful, he made godzilla look like a ragdoll. Might have made him too OP but it certainly made sense for them both needing to be there to stop him. Kong popping his shoulder in like he was in Lethal Weapon was fucking tremendous, I love that Ape.
Mechagodzilla deserved more screentime and a much better design than what we got. Though nothing is stopping them from building another one if they choose to continue the Monsterverse.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Gods after what Mecha Godzilla's design I fear what Jet Jaguar would look like.

Probably something worse than this

1*Tbca_m_4RW0Ym_EoAqPRRQ.jpeg
Mecha Samus???

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
It's gif time baby.

Godzilla vs Kong: Round 2

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Kong vs Mechagodzilla

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda almost odd how expected that was (team up against MechaGodzilla), but still how well it worked. Feel like if just a couple of cogs in the machine were a little off it would have been a huge eyeroll, but it hit all the right notes and was fucking awesome.

Blitzwolf215

Oct 26, 2017
Liked it, the humans were pretty ugh, but at least none of them were as offensively bad as the mom from KOTM. Still seems so crazy to me we got Mecha G in this movie.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
So to make sure I understood correctly: the MechaGodzilla at the end was basically King Gidorah trying to get revenge, correct? He killled those two human bozos and completely took control?

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
So I think this was a lot better than KotM at least, which was really all I wanted. It's not as strong as Godzilla 2014 or Skull Island but it didn't need to be.

I kind of appreciate they just went full self aware sci-fi in this. It's a little weird coming off how relatively grounded and self serious 2014 was, and KotM kind of waffled on all that stuff. The hollow Earth plot ended up feeling like more of sidequest considering it was the main goal of the characters, but it looked cool so I won't complain. The actual kaiju fights and set pieces are pretty great as they should be, definitely up there with Pacific Rim for me, it also looks great. Everything is pretty predictable once Mecha-Godzilla shows up, but Kong going full Kratos on it at the end was pretty rad.

The human cast is paper thin which is to be expected, but thankfully not annoying like much of the KotM cast. I didn't mind the Millie Bobbie Brown sublot considering they didn't give her much of anything to do in KotM so her turning into a conspiracy weirdo and going on an adventure with an equally nutty podcast host and her New Zealand friend was fun. The Kong side of the cast were inoffensive, I liked the relationship between Rebecca Hall and that girl, but rather bland otherwise. Also I was excited to see Lance Reddick in the opening credits but my man has one line in the entire film. The dude piloting Mecha-Godzilla was apparently related to Ken Watanabe's character but thats never expanded upon meaningfully.

I felt like the human characters also had a copy of the script on them at all times. Either that or they were all hyper smart and resourceful, they seemed to know exactly what everything was and what to do at all times. Like when the New Zealand kid goes "No, it's MECHA-GODZILLA", or when Bernie immediately figures out that Giddorah's skull is being used as a supercomputer. Or even Skarsgard knowing how to defib Kong with the HEAV.

Worth a watch for sure though. No post credit's scene so I'm not sure if this is it for Legendary's Kaiju universe or if they have more down the pipe, but this would be a fitting end point in all honesty.

Last edited:

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed it. Better than KTOM.

Watching KOTM last night and lamenting at how much they love to place all the action in the dark, in the rain, etc. Pleasantly surprised in this one to see the sun rising right as Mechagodzilla showed up, so you could actually see what was happening during the fight.

But I legit thought they were going to go the route of the original Mechagodzilla by having him be a "fake" Godzilla first (which I thought was why he was "evil" at the beginning of the film), and then revealed to be a mecha after they fight. So I'm more than halfway through the film before saying "So I guess that was the real Godzilla after all..." (would have been better if I could have gone in blind, but they did a really piss poor job of even trying to keep Mechagodzilla a secret).

So that Gidorah skull.. is that the one left over from KOTM that the terrorists got hold of? I was under the impression from KOTM that there wasn't anything left of Gidorah after the fight in Boston.

Anyway, I enjoyed it. I'll definitely add it to the collection when it hits Blu-ray.

ajido

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 7, 2018
Wow that was fun!!! Loved it to pieces. That was some great Kaiju action. I hope the monsterverse continues.

arcticxdeath

Mar 25, 2019
Enjoyed it. Wish I could have my time back for the Madison plot, just embarrassingly stupid. Disappointed Godzilla didn't go down to hollow earth for gravity defying fisticuffs with monke.

#teamgodzilla

Dec 21, 2018
I'm so happy Kong was buffed. This movie showed that Titan biology made his body super strong as an adult. People were constantly bringing up that he was hurt but forget he was a kid and he's a fantastical creature so him getting tougher as he grew bigger wasn't out of the ordinary

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Enjoyed the movie so many EVA nods lol

Only truly bad thing is the mecha godzilla win wasnt earned (and made no sense)

Lari

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
This was fun as hell. First of these movies where the human characters felt like part of the story and didn't get much in the way.
The little girl's acting was really great.

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
After all the talk of the team Godzilla plot being unbearable and boring I thought it was...fine? Like they were constantly going to new locations and the scenes felt brief enough, don't get the issues there at all.

Edit- Also RT still not giving the certified fresh after almost 200 reviews, so weird.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I will never understand preferring Zilla 2014 over any of the other MonsterVerse movies. Zilla 14 fights are short, you can barely see the monsters, all too dark, best actor is wasted 20 minutes in, too much focus on human plot which is just military jargon 85% of the time.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Messing up MechaGodzilla with whiskey was dumb. No way fucking up a damn terminal would mess up the now autonomous mech. Idk, it didn't seem feasible. That whole side plot was awful.

Everything else was great. The fights, the little girl, and destruction was on point.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I did love all the little nods. The logic of Kong getting his heart jump-started is obviously a defibrillator type thing, but I can't help thinking it's also a callback to the original Toho Kong being inexplicably electricity-powered.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Did Godzilla kill all those other monsters from the end of KotM? He seemed to have gone berserk and just attack any giant monster but why would the presence of Mechagodzilla cause that?

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
Godzilla on all fours was savage. He went full alligator on Kong's ass. And good lord, MechaGodzilla was a force. He was going to kill Godzilla easily.

I loved this overall! Great visuals, great monster battles, and minimum human annoyance. Not bad at all!

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Was the axe handle in the mouth a reference to this or just a coincidence

gvpz_kingkong1.gif

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Did Godzilla kill all those other monsters from the end of KotM? He seemed to have gone berserk and just attack any giant monster but why would the presence of Mechagodzilla cause that?

Godzilla doesn't really care about the other monsters, since they submit to him at the end of King of the Monsters.

Godzilla does care about other Alphas though, of which Kong and MechaGodzilla (due to Ghidorah) are. He wants them to submit to his power, which Kong does.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I was surprised they definitively had Godzilla beat Kong. I thought for sure they'd go the cop-out route of having them team up against Mecha and declare their rivalry a draw after that. And neither of those things really happened! Godzilla wins his bout with Kong, Kong wins the fight with MechaG with more of an assist from Godzilla (who gets his fucking ass dragged around town) than through a full-blown team up.

Fun flick. My favorite of the Monsterverse films. Even the human characters I thought were fine, except for the Madison/Bernie subplot which was so bad.

Oct 27, 2017
The actual Kong and Godzilla fights were fun. The goofy Hollow Earth stuff was the right amount of over the top goofy sci fi that's also fun.

Everything involving the humans is just so goddamn boring in these movies. Its like the actual fights and monster stuff has gotten better with each movie, but the human stuff is so boring. Godzilla 2014 tried to kind of keep things grounded I guess with the people drama and all but all the monster stuff is so over the top that it just feels like you're watching 2 different movies when they're cutting between the people and the monsters.

That's probably why I feel like Skull Island is kind of the best of these movies because the humans in that movie were at least entertaining and kind of equally over the top with the sci fi setting of Skull Island. Cast some more interesting human leads in this one and have more of it take place in Hollow Earth which was kind of a neat setting. Of all these monster/kaiju movies, the original Pacific Rim and Skull Island are probably the only 2 where the humans were kind of entertaining to me.

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
I was so, so ready to hate this movie after suffering through Godzilla 2014 and KotM. I loved Skull Island and I really think GvK focusing more on Kong helped a ton.

There were still some stupid things like the giant Monke Temple at the center of the earth but the fights were incredible and if the Monsterverse continues I'm here for it

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I did love all the little nods. The logic of Kong getting his heart jump-started is obviously a defibrillator type thing, but I can't help thinking it's also a callback to the original Toho Kong being inexplicably electricity-powered.
From my understanding (been years since I checked) It was because he wasn't originally Kong.

He was this character.

latest

Frankenstein, gets stronger with electricity weak against fire.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They mentioned a storm killed all the Iwi except the girl. I assume that was actually Ghidorah when he was wrecking shit in KotM?

Oct 25, 2017
From my understanding (been years since I checked) It was because he wasn't originally Kong.

He was this character.

latest

Frankenstein, gets stronger with electricity weak against fire.
King Kong vs Godzilla originally started out with one of Kong's creators Willis O' Brien trying to pitch a Kong sequel where he fights a creation from Frankenstein's son, but he could never find funding for it or get anyone to sign on. Toho eventually saw it, and got the rights, and changed it to Godzilla, and I imagine Kong having electricity powers was either a coincidence or left over portion from the original idea.