• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Millie Bobbie Brown was fine in King of The Monsters, when she was still a kid. Her undying faith in Godzilla was endearing and charming.

In Kong Vs Godzilla though, I found her to be kind of an annoying know-it-all teenager. She just seems like a frustrating conspiracy theorist, rather than someone who loves Godzilla.

That's a weird way to see her character. Her parents work at Monarch, so it's natural she has knowledge of the monsters. She was up close with Mothra. She was the only one to see that something is not right with Godzilla.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of annoying how mustache twirling the villains were. There's room for nuance when it comes to why you'd want to capture a new energy source or safeguard the world from kaiju, but naw, you gotta be CARTOONISHLY evil.
I thought for sure that they were going to use that slice of the energy crystal to power Mechagodzilla, but did that even happen? I was unsure if the sample they took made it out of Hollow Earth, or if it got blown up along with the villain's daughter.

Oct 27, 2017
It's wild that the two groups of characters never directly interact and have no concept of each others actions.

I also hate the way they transition from Hollow Earth to Hong Kong. It felt so fake, like it was invented by someone after they shot all the live action stuff and couldn't figure out how to get our characters to come together.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a weird way to see her character. Her parents work at Monarch, so it's natural she has knowledge of the monsters. She was up close with Mothra. She was the only one to see that something is not right with Godzilla.
It's maybe just an example of my own weird biases. A child driven by the strength of their convictions has a kind of blind faith that is charming. A teenager driven by the strength of their convictions often seems arrogant and self-righteous.

While we are on the topic though, why was Godzilla driven to attack both the Pensacola and Hong Kong Apex facilities? I felt like that was kinda glossed over. For Hong Kong I suppose you could assume he detected the psychic presence of Ghidorah at work, but with Pensacola I'm not sure what to say.

blackhawk163

Oct 28, 2017
I thought for sure that they were going to use that slice of the energy crystal to power Mechagodzilla, but did that even happen? I was unsure if the sample they took made it out of Hollow Earth, or if it got blown up along with the villain's daughter.
I think they simply needed the energy signature from the sample which was uploaded to the Apex site and then recreated and injected into Mecha G

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
The whole movie is just a bunch of stupid shit to get the two to fight. But it was glorious, the best Kaiju fights in years

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I also hate the way they transition from Hollow Earth to Hong Kong. It felt so fake, like it was invented by someone after they shot all the live action stuff and couldn't figure out how to get our characters to come together.
If you look at the map when Godzilla shifts course, he is hanging out by like Austrailia/New Zealand, but the characters infer "He's headed straight for APEX in Hong Kong!" Godzilla is like 3000 miles from Hong Kong, how would they know that's where he is headed?

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
They "recreated the frequency" back at Apex or something, never actually transported the crystal out of Hollow Earth

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I'm fine if this is the end of the Monsterverse -- I'm not really sure where they could go from here anyway.

The back half of the movie is pretty good -- all the stuff about getting Kong to Hollow Earth was kinda tedious.

Aliens and shit, like the old movies, and apparently it was the original stinger filmed for the movie hinting at Aliens incoming, but it was cut as they wanted this to be an ending.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
It's maybe just an example of my own weird biases. A child driven by the strength of their convictions has a kind of blind faith that is charming. A teenager driven by the strength of their convictions often seems arrogant and self-righteous.

While we are on the topic though, why was Godzilla driven to attack both the Pensacola and Hong Kong Apex facilities? I felt like that was kinda glossed over. For Hong Kong I suppose you could assume he detected the psychic presence of Ghidorah at work, but with Pensacola I'm not sure what to say.

Probably because the Ghodirah skull or a Titan was there. Remember, they were transporting stuff from the facility to Hong Kong.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aliens and shit, like the old movies, and apparently it was the original stinger filmed for the movie hinting at Aliens incoming, but it was cut as they wanted this to be an ending.
I know that there's other monsters and threats in the Godzilla-verse, but this seems like it's the last sort of face-off or crossover that would really have that much resonance with mainstream audiences. There are no more recognizable monsters for him to take down. We've already had Ghidorah, Mothra, Mechagodzilla, Rodan and King Kong. What else is there, really? Short of them licensing Gamera or something, I'm not sure how they can escolate things any further.

Oct 27, 2017
I know that there's other monsters and threats in the Godzilla-verse, but this seems like it's the last sort of face-off or crossover that would really have that much resonance with mainstream audiences. There are no more recognizable monsters for him to take down. We've already had Ghidorah, Mothra, Mechagodzilla, and King Kong. What else is there, really? Short of them licensing Gamera or something, I'm not sure how they can escolate things any further.
Aliens... meaning Gigan.

And humans make Jet Jaguar to help.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked the movie, but I was really stymied by Lance Reddicks appearance since he's in the movie for literally one or two 5 second scenes and he's one of my favorite actors. Turns out his scenes were basically cut, which is a real shame
www.gamesradar.com

Godzilla vs. Kong director Adam Wingard explains why Lance Reddick's role was cut down to a cameo

Zhang Ziyi and Jessica Henwick didn't make the final cut. Godzilla vs. Kong director Adam Wingard explains why

Honestly I wish they had cut Millie Bobby Brown's character (and her dad) from the movie and put in more Lance and the conspiracy guy, they were great and Madison (MBB's character) did really nothing for the story.

Still surprisingly enjoyable and hope they keep going, I would LOVE to see more of Hollowed Earth. I fully expected the dead brother to be living there ala all those "journey to the center of the earth" movies and that be a complete waste of more-humans-on-screen time, so really glad they didn't go that cliched route. Also a bit surprised Kong didn't find any buddies or friends down there, hope he does for Kong 2.

Gotchaforce

Oct 31, 2017
The action scenes were really cool. Felt like the most fun of these, easily. Skull Island is still my favorite and none of the Monsterverse come close to Pacific Rim imo. I wish the next would be Pacific Rim v Godzilla.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I know that there's other monsters and threats in the Godzilla-verse, but this seems like it's the last sort of face-off or crossover that would really have that much resonance with mainstream audiences. There are no more recognizable monsters for him to take down. We've already had Ghidorah, Mothra, Mechagodzilla, Rodan and King Kong. What else is there, really? Short of them licensing Gamera or something, I'm not sure how they can escolate things any further.

For US audiences of course, this is pretty much the peak for them to go. Theres tons of other creatures and lore to explore from the Japanese side of things but really they would not be as popular or well known here.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

They "Analyzed" it and that was enough, further begging the question, WHY ARE YOU FREAKING OUT AND GOING ON AN EVIL SUPERVILLAIN RANT WHEN WHAT YOU'RE DOING IS ALWAYS THE PLAN, DOESN'T HURT ANYTHING, AND GETS YOU HOME FASTER?!?!

Like, seriously, why would anyone on team kong have protested? It's literally the second thing they would have done had godzilla not blown a hole back to hollow earth. She basically shot herself in the face for no reason.

The action scenes were really cool. Felt like the most fun of these, easily. Skull Island is still my favorite and none of the Monsterverse come close to Pacific Rim imo. I wish the next would be Pacific Rim v Godzilla.

I mean...we still need to get to Jet Jaguar.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really liked the movie, but I was really stymied by Lance Reddicks appearance since he's in the movie for literally one or two 5 second scenes and he's one of my favorite actors. Turns out his scenes were basically cut, which is a real shame
We actually did the least amount of reshoots than any of those MonsterVerse films. Normally, they do about two weeks, but we only did five days. We did have to be quite surgical, as we did change one element of the plot and it affected a couple of scenes at the beginning and a couple of scenes at the end.

I wonder what plot element they changed that required reshoots for both the beginning and the end of the film?

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
There won't be one. Remember Monarch went from some skunk works operation in G14 and K:SI to having dozens of HUGE underground bases with insane tech in KOTM. They never explained that huge leap in logic, so I have my doubts they'll even address how they build a robot Godzilla.

This is one of the most nonsensical things in the franchise. Monarch seems like it's a poorly funded branch of the US government in K:SI but by the time of KOTM, it's got to have 100x the funding of the US military with all these bases and technology. And then there's that scene in KOTM where they have a Senate hearing where they threaten Monarch with military jurisdiction... so they're just operating all this time with no oversight??

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Baby Godzilla. Current Godzilla reproduces asexually, raises a newborn Godzilla but falls in battle to a new threat. Kong becomes the adoptive father of Godzilla's baby.

I wouldn't mind if they do a Destroy All Monsters type film in the Hollow Earth using strange shit like Ebirah, Manta, Kumonga, King Ceasar. Give me the strange shit. Have Godzilla and Kong tear it up in the underworld. Bring in Mothra 2 and Rodan.

Have the humans create a new Mecha, call it Jet Jaguar. Have it look like some Pacific Rim shit.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit!!!! James Rolfe aka The AVGN was supposed to have a cameo in this movie, but he couldn't go cause his 2nd daughter was about to be born!

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aliens... meaning Gigan.
For US audiences of course, this is pretty much the peak for them to go. Theres tons of other creatures and lore to explore from the Japanese side of things but really they would not be as popular or well known here.
Yeah, I just don't think they can continue to work at this budget when the current mythology doesn't have any more heavy-hitters that will drive theater attendance. Any other monsters from the Toho-verse will just be fanservice, and not really help to increase turnout. On some level they might be better off creating new monsters/villains that completely change the rules of the game, rather than relying on more established and traditional kaiju. I think it would be fun to see Godzilla fighting in zero-gravity against space-monsters, but even then I'm not sure if people will be having as much fun if they're not seeing human buildings/cities get smashed to pieces.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I just don't think they can continue to work at this budget when the current mythology doesn't have any more heavy-hitters that will drive theater attendance. Any other monsters from the Toho-verse will just be fanservice, and not really help to increase turnout. On some level they might be better off creating new monsters/villains that completely change the rules of the game, rather than relying on more established and traditional kaiju. I think it would be fun to see Godzilla fighting in zero-gravity against space-monsters, but even then I'm not sure if people will be having as much fun if they're not seeing human buildings/cities get smashed to pieces.
I wonder if audiences want to see a prequel set in the ancient times. Or flashbacks to it.

Or Godzilla and Kong in space (not even being facetious) where they meet another Ghidorah on the moon and we get Godzilla's happy hops in some form in moon gravity haha.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Well you can tell this one was cut down in a lot of places. Most of the jumping around makes little sense which is unfortunate because the hollow earth stuff could have used a bit more time. It was cool.

The fights were bonkers and a shit ton of fun though! Letting Kong go over on mecha was deserved after he jobbed in nearly every fight in the movie.

Jobbed to zilla in the first fight, had to pretend to be dead
Jobbed to the snake dragon thing in hollow earth until the humans bailed him out
Jobbed to zilla in the last fight to the point he was going to die lol

And why didn't we get a scene of Kong or Zilla crushing the ghidorha head? Or did I miss something.

It was a solid experience overall. Hollow earth should have made an appearance several movies ago.

pargonta

Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I do not enjoy the fantastical sci fi, hollow earth and magic space ships etc. I would prefer a more down to earth monster movie, but I get it.

mechagodzilla punch is the best part of the movie.

Oct 25, 2017
Baby Godzilla. Current Godzilla reproduces asexually, raises a newborn Godzilla but falls in battle to a new threat. Kong becomes the adoptive father of Godzilla's baby.

I wouldn't mind if they do a Destroy All Monsters type film in the Hollow Earth using strange shit like Ebirah, Manta, Kumonga, King Ceasar. Give me the strange shit. Have Godzilla and Kong tear it up in the underworld. Bring in Mothra 2 and Rodan.

Have the humans create a new Mecha, call it Jet Jaguar. Have it look like some Pacific Rim shit.

I thought for a second we got Angularus in Hollow Earth

Also bring on chicken suit Gigan

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Just watched with the family

Utterly terrible.

Kong: Skull Island continues to be the best thing that came out of this whole endeavor and the one legitimately great film. (Godzilla 2014 is merely okay).

It's fascinating how much they can fuck up characters and overall tone with these movies.
And don't say people watch these movies for creatures throwing punches, because that means fuck all if you find everything else around it lacking anything of substance. It's just big, destructive CGI brawls with no stakes.

Gotchaforce

Oct 31, 2017
They "Analyzed" it and that was enough, further begging the question, WHY ARE YOU FREAKING OUT AND GOING ON AN EVIL SUPERVILLAIN RANT WHEN WHAT YOU'RE DOING IS ALWAYS THE PLAN, DOESN'T HURT ANYTHING, AND GETS YOU HOME FASTER?!?!

Like, seriously, why would anyone on team kong have protested? It's literally the second thing they would have done had godzilla not blown a hole back to hollow earth. She basically shot herself in the face for no reason.

I mean...we still need to get to Jet Jaguar.
Man im really hyped for the Netflix anime. Looks great.

Jul 10, 2020
Anyone who says that "Kong won this" is kidding themselves.

2-1, look at the damn scoreboard.

Godzilla straight up nearly murdered Kong in Round 3 in Shanghai.

SCOREBOARD.

SCOREBOARD.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the most commercially viable route for any potential sequels would either be Gamera or Power Rangers.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Like, seriously, why would anyone on team kong have protested?
Yeah that was weird. If all they needed was the energy signature from the crystals, why get into some argument about strip-mining the energy from Hollow Earth? They weren't even interested in mining the place.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone who says that "Kong won this" is kidding themselves.

2-1, look at the damn scoreboard.

Godzilla straight up nearly murdered Kong in Round 3 in Shanghai.

SCOREBOARD.

SCOREBOARD.

Let's not forget the final staredown

Godzilla: I'm not leaving till you put that axe down 😡
Kong: Chill out bruh, I thought we were friends now?
Godzilla: 😡
Kong: Ok, you win 😰

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Aliens... meaning Gigan.

Gods after what Mecha Godzilla's design I fear what Jet Jaguar would look like.

Probably something worse than this

1*Tbca_m_4RW0Ym_EoAqPRRQ.jpeg

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah that was weird. If all they needed was the energy signature from the crystals, why get into some argument about strip-mining the energy from Hollow Earth? They weren't even interested in mining the place.

They literally took nothing, they just cut out a piece of rock. I think there was probably some cut subplot about the temple being important and it being the source of kong's power or something but...that never made it into the final movie so it's just her going nuts for no reason.

Shame, always the cute ones.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
So Godzilla totally won, right? He beat Kong on the ship battle, and then laid Kong out in Hong Kong. And my family was all wondering; I am assuming that the energy essentially transferred Ghidorah's consciousness into Mecha-Godzilla? Honestly the entire energy subplot was so freakin dumb. They just needed to scan this mysterious energy source (which is never explained) and then they can essentially instantaneously replicate it on the spot? What?

Also, Tywin was an environmental terrorist. Why would he ever sell Ghidorah's head to Apex? Especially when their whole thing is about mankind's superiority.

Branaghs

Oct 27, 2017
I loved it. Hard not to being such a die hard fan of the Big G.

My only gripe, is Mothra always had a human element to her. The kid, Rebecca Hall and Skarsgard could have been written out for her and the twins.

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
Without reading the thread: I loved this movie. It's ridiculous, silly, over the top, predictable (I hadn't read any spoilers but as as soon as I saw "Apex Cybernetics" I knew it'd come down to Kong and Godzilla joining forces against Mechagodzilla), but it was SO MUCH FUN. Tuns of monster action, gorgeous visuals (that LIGHTING), and the Hollow Earth was actually pretty cool. I even thought the people were less annoying than in previous movies.
Best of the Monsterverse for me.

Gengahrrr

Oct 25, 2017
This was so ridiculous in the most amazing sort of way. Especially the hollow earth stuff. That and the Apex stuff were peak Showa Era Godzilla.

Godzilla literally had Kong going towards the light until they restarted his heart. Big G didn't even break a sweat pushing Kong's shit in.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Story was really predictable, but that is to be expected.
The humans stuff really reminds me how much these movies, especially this one felt like a Transformers movie.
So what happened to Charles Dance's character in KotM? Was he the one that sold the Ghidorah head to Apex Cybernetics?
Overall, it was a decent movie for what it is.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
Mecha was insanely powerful, he made godzilla look like a ragdoll. Might have made him too OP but it certainly made sense for them both needing to be there to stop him. Kong popping his shoulder in like he was in Lethal Weapon was fucking tremendous, I love that Ape.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Mecha was insanely powerful, he made godzilla look like a ragdoll. Might have made him too OP but it certainly made sense for them both needing to be there to stop him. Kong popping his shoulder in like he was in Lethal Weapon was fucking tremendous, I love that Ape.

I think it's because Godzilla was worn out from the fight with Kong. Both of them were injured and tired.

Plus, Mecha is controlled by Ghidorah even though it didn't have a body.