• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Was Eric Northman's brother anyone specific? I was putting on some pants, so I was a few feet away from the screen when he was looking at a photo lol.

Vctor182

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
there were 3 GvK fights and a bonus mechagodzilla round. Godz wins 2 out of the 3 legit battles and in the third one he basically screams YIELD!! and Kong does so. That was such an epic moment as a 100% godzilla fan. All kneel to our king Godzilla!

Oct 25, 2017
I fucking lost it at the Kong species throne room, with the big chair for the king and rows of Kong sized bleachers. That was too good, Kong s got nothing on his ancestors, they could sculpt rock literally in their own image.

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Could not give a damn about eleven and her friends subplot.

Other than that, movie was soooooo good. They really made Kong shine in this movie.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
There is a scene similiar to this, except instead of tree, it's the special axe handle

GvsK_Nerdist_11-In-MechaGodzilla_Inset-1.jpg

God I really hate its design.

OP
OP
Star-Lord

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
ren serizawa is in this movie and they barely do anything with him holy fuck what a missed opportunity

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
As part of team monke I'm sad he loses but I believe he can get stronger for a rematch. I believe in monke long term.

(Haven't seen the movie and still really want to)

Oct 25, 2017
ren serizawa is in this movie and they barely do anything with him holy fuck what a missed opportunity
They clearly edited the hell out of the human plot, I think including all the scenes involving where they sedated and moved Kong especially. Lance Reddick is mentioned in the opening credits then he's in one shot with Kyle Chandler and doesn't speak at all. I'm gonna guess the reaction to KotM heavily cut down a lot of transitioning scenes and probably why Elevens plot was so contained and bare.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
My favorite "Running" bit with the movie is once they are done with the bad humans, they don't get them in trouble, don't have them answer for their actions, just kill em

The daughter, Kong destroys her helicopter
the dad, gets blown up while monologuing
The pilot, gets fried when the skull activates

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
I love stupid stuff but 2 kids and a delusional guy entering a super security organization in the US, taking picture, traveling through a secret tunnel until they reach the Hong Kong branch of said organization while still taking picture and doing shit without no one ever noticing them was really bad...like really bad, I cringed so hard whenever they were onscreen and ruined Zilla's part of the movie, at least Kong's one wasn't that bad with the whole center of the Earth plot

That whole plot element is so bad and could have been as better movie without it.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Mecha is a beast. You'll forgive the design somewhat when you see it in action. It's so fast, the jetpacks on the back are amazing.
And yeah, cut 10 minutes of the kids subplot. Kongs subplot was actually fine.

The podcast shit was awful but I guess topical. Maybe I'm just old.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
I love stupid stuff but 2 kids and a delusional guy entering a super security organization in the US, taking picture, traveling through a secret tunnel until they reach the Hong Kong branch of said organization while still taking picture and doing shit without no one ever noticing them was really bad...like really bad, I cringed so hard whenever they were onscreen and ruined Zilla's part of the movie, at least Kong's one wasn't that bad with the whole center of the Earth plot

I think their trying to invoke children movie, where the kids save the day, but here it just feel...not done well.

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I think their trying to invoke children movie, where the kids save the day, but here it just feel...not done well.
I don't even remember Eleven doing anything to help save the day.

It was most her friend and conspiracy guy who were trying to override mecha godzilla's system while she was just standing there.

softtack

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are these movies directed by the same person? How are they are consistently riddled by the same crap?

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I think what skull island gets right and the godzilla movies dont is the actors chosen to chew scenery. The cast in kong is a lot more famous and even if the script is nothing to call home about they really have fun with it. In this movie, even if the kong cast was better thab the godzilla cast, they are just not that well known to be charismatic on screen.

But still, humans are barely in this movie so i dont know what to tell people (even when theres no fight, king kong is doing stuff and that already feels amazing, and im not even that big of a kong fan). I suppose what people are looking for is a cast and script like the original JP, but i dont think even modern spielberg would be able to do it.
And i dont know, but i think if jp was released now as new, in this more cinic internet age, people would have a lot of problems with it, like the hating the fuckibg kids, or thinking some of the lines, like the disneyland one are stupid.

My favorite "Running" bit with the movie is once they are done with the bad humans, they don't get them in trouble, don't have them answer for their actions, just kill em

The daughter, Kong destroys her helicopter
the dad, gets blown up while monologuing
The pilot, gets fried when the skull activates
Hahaha yeah. Villains are just villains and they grt fucked by the monsters. No more thanos crap with the mother like in Kotm (love that movie but that was probably the worst part)

Are these movies directed by the same person? How are they are consistently riddled by the same crap?
No, 4 different directors. And 2014 have totally different problems than kotm, skull, or this one. This one cuts most of the problems kotm, but has others. Skull island gets away with it thanks to the actors.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
3 Fights

Water fight Godzilla win
Land fight with Axe - Godzilla win
Fight with Mecha-godzilla - Mecha was winning, until Kong and Godzilla team up, and Godzilla power up the axe for Kong to break through mecha-godzilla barrier finishing the fight

Mecha > Godzilla > Kong
Monke stay losing

BOW BEFORE THE KING
210021.gif

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Loved the movie. Sure it's got tons of problems but when it's good it's so goddamn good.

Also lowkey the scene when Mecha Godzilla is slowly creeping up on the CEO near the end was chilling lol

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Florida has finally been attacked by Godzilla.

Also, that's not MechaGodzilla. That's goddamn MechaGhidorah.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Save Mothra.

I still don't understand why they just throw in Serizawa's kid in there. Like, I can assume why he's there, doing that shit.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't seen it yet (but don't care about spoilers), knowing that Godzilla slaps up Kong as it should be brings a smile to my face.

Caspel

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
3 Fights

Water fight Godzilla win
Land fight with Axe - Godzilla win
Fight with Mecha-godzilla - Mecha was winning, until Kong and Godzilla team up, and Godzilla power up the axe for Kong to break through mecha-godzilla barrier finishing the fight

Mecha > Godzilla > Kong

Technically 3.5 fights, not 3.

1. Water fight, Godzilla wins. Zilla lets Kong live.
2. Hong Kong land fight, Kong wins part one with "commentary" from the humans saying Kong won. Kong walks away and lets Godzilla live.
2.5. Godzilla gets back up a few minutes later and attacks Kong blindsided and kicks his ass. Zilla lets Kong live again as Kong passes out
3. Mecha kicks Zilla around and Kong wakes up to help Zilla. Tag-team briefly loses until Zilla powerups Kong's axe. Kong defeats Mecha.

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
I knew it wasn't gonna happen because it would have been super stupid, but at the end when king dropped the axe, all I could picture was the epic handshake meme.

I knew it wasn't gonna happen, but I was Lowkey hoping they would just do it

Oct 27, 2017
It kinda all worked out in the end. Godzilla won majority of the scuffles, but Kong is the hero of the story and the ultimate underdog.

They had to make Godzilla look good if they want a chance at Toho letting them keep the rights lol.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, Godzilla pretty convincingly beat Kong, we all kinda saw that coming.

But holy fucking shit Mecha was brutalizing Godzilla before Kong came in for the double team.

Mecha was gonna blow Godzilla's face out the same way he did to the Muto in the 2014 film.

Human creations are the real apex predators after lol

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
No special credits scene and no post-credits scene,WB not even pretendin its gonna be another one huh

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
As much as i was on godzilla's side, kong was really winning that second fight, but they just make godzilla pull something at the very end and win, even though he suffered way more blows through the whole fight

yeah you can say he's more resistent, but i think kong should have gotten that one!

Also i was really hopping that kong gave the axe to godzilla at some point, captain america with mjolnir style, haha

Last edited:

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You can tell they didn't really have much faith in this universe continuing with no stinger scenes.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Kong is still a growing boy, he gets stronger every fight, next time he'll win easy.

In this essay I'll outline why Kong is in fact a saiyan and therefore

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I told y'all Godzilla's primary weakness would be properly functional arms. Mecha Godzilla is just Godzilla with arms that work right and it wrecked shop.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As much as i was on godzilla's side, kong was really winning that second fight, but they just make godzilla pull something at the very end and win, even though he suffered way more blows through the whole fight

yeah you can say he's more resistent, but i think kong should have gotten that one!

Also i was really hopping that kong gave the axe to godzilla at some point, captain america with mjolnir style, haha
I think it was pretty much like this
Kong lost round 1
Kong won round 2
Kong lost round 3
Both won against MechaGodzilla together.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Between alien monsters and Hollow Earth, I'd say they have plenty bullshit to pull for whatever the next movie is.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
I was cracking up at MechaGodzilla's moves in that last fight. Was that supposed to be funny? Like, when he threw Godzilla against a building and kneed him in the chest? Or taking Godzilla and running his head straight into several buildings in a row.

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
There's too many different contracts and they can't do more if they haven't worked on future contracts, Godzilla is owned by somebody else and not Legendary
yeah i know that and i know about the dispute between Legendary and WB about the HBO Max release,lets not pretend any studio is gonna throw 200mil+ for a Kaiju movie anytime soon