• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
deadline.com

‘Godzilla Vs. Kong’ Propels Domestic Box Office Out Of Pandemic Depression With $48.5M 5-Day Opening

'Godzilla vs. Kong' is now up to $27.9M in three days after an $11.6M Friday at 3,064 locations.

Yesterday, moviegoers demonstrated that they were truly yearning to go back to the movies. How's that? Warner Bros.'/Legendary's Godzilla vs. Kong posted what is a record opening day during the pandemic domestic B.O. of $9.6M. Since mid-March 2020, when theaters closed, and slowly returned in late August, no other film has done this type of business. The projection heading into this weekend over five days was $20M-$30M; it's clear Godzilla vs. Kong could easily beat that. Even if you can watch Godzilla vs. Kong at home on HBO Max, there are those who want to get out and experience the monster clash in a boom-shaka-laka rattling auditorium on a big screen.

tenor.gif

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Black Widow would have done fine with it's original release date.

I see so many folks flocking to the theater right now for this on social media, no idea if its cause they got the vaccine?

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Nice to see the box office coming back to life. I wish it were for a better movie.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017

I see so many folks flocking to the theater right now for this on social media, no idea if its cause they got the vaccine?

9 million dollars ain't shit, you think Disney would be satisfied with a similar take when most Marvel movies are pushing 1 billion at the box office?

Considering most people can start getting the vaccine at the start of May, late June - early July is the perfect timing to try and snag the first big rebound movie.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious how HBO factors into this. I imagine that's how most of us watched it last night. I would think Warner has some way of analyzing those subscriptions to roll it into considering whether the film was "successful" or not, despite the otherwise lower than normal box office take.

JaredTaco

Oct 27, 2017

Delaying Black Widow should work out for Disney. Every adult in the United States that wants the vaccine will have gotten it by then. I think it was probably a smart business move. But you're right. It would have done fine in May. It'll do better in July.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
A well deserved success. It's a shame it couldn't come out at a better time.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
9 million dollars ain't shit, you think Disney would be satisfied with a similar take when most Marvel movies are pushing 1 billion at the box office?

Considering most people can start getting the vaccine at the start of May, late June - early July is the perfect timing to try and snag the first big rebound movie.

The point is that if this movie whose series hasn't been doing gang busters and bad last entry can do this good now, imagine what a huge monster like MCU big movies would be doing. Folks were worried it was gonna not do well, but if even Kong and Godzilla can start getting folks back in the seats in March, BW in May would have been doing just fine

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I should be able to see it in theaters by the time I get my vaccine even though I've seen it on HBO

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Cinemas, return!
to monke

Can't wait to see this on the big screen next week. HBO is great, but this ridiculousness deserves a giant screen.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good films make good money.
To be fair, while I enjoyed the movie for what it was, in normal circumstances I wouldn't have gone to see this one at the theatre...
(Like, if only Black Widow haven't been delayed, I just had waited until streaming)

I think it was helped by being the single decent blockbuster since... what? Bad Boys? Sonic?

less

Oct 25, 2017
US Box Office is slowly but surely recovering.

*Prays for things to be relatively well for Dune's release*

OP
OP
Schlorgan

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
To be fair, while I enjoyed the movie for what it was, in normal circumstances I wouldn't have gone to see this one at the theatre...
(Like, if only Black Widow haven't been delayed, I just had waited until streaming)

I think it was helped by being the single decent blockbuster since... what? Bad Boys? Sonic?
Raya was excellent but came out at the wrong time.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
The point is that if this movie whose series hasn't been doing gang busters and bad last entry can do this good now, imagine what a huge monster like MCU big movies would be doing. Folks were worried it was gonna not do well, but if even Kong and Godzilla can start getting folks back in the seats in March, BW in May would have been doing just fine

Yeah but Disney isn't going to be okay with just fine. Every big Marvel movie does gangbusters, and I think it makes business sense to hold a finished movie until people are vaccinated and thirsty for a blockbuster if you are Disney. I think if they released in May it would do decently in the 30-50 million range opening weekend, but the upside potential by waiting til July means it could easily take in 3-4x more than that. While it sucks for us as viewers who want to see the film it makes total sense for them to wait it out.

HBO is trying to push their streaming service so they are more willing to sacrifice their box office gains.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Yeah but Disney isn't going to be okay with just fine. Every big Marvel movie does gangbusters, and I think it makes business sense to hold a finished movie until people are vaccinated and thirsty for a blockbuster if you are Disney. I think if they released in May it would do decently in the 30-50 million range opening weekend, but the upside potential by waiting til July means it could easily take in 3-4x more than that. While it sucks for us as viewers who want to see the film it makes total sense for them to wait it out.

HBO is trying to push their streaming service so they are more willing to sacrifice their box office gains.

It's really the best of both worlds for them. They make the max amount of money with the theaters available but also get a shot in the arm for subs.

Divorced Dad

Banned
Feb 16, 2021
I saw it in a theater yesterday. It was a restaurant/theater with everyone spread out in order to minimize infections

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017

at least here in canadaland it´s like 20 people per IMAX theater, spaced seating, masks and everything sanitized. It´s fine to go to a theater, safer than a supermarket for sure :D This movie especially benefits from being in a theater rather than at home.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Raya was excellent but came out at the wrong time.

Seems more like a marketing failure in that case, given than it underperformed versus Tom & Jerry, which appealed to the same audience, came out earlier during lockdown, and was available to stream for cheaper.

In any case, it's clear as day that people are eager as fuck to get back to theaters and live events.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
With the USA doing ~3 million shots a day, even a week delay, like the Mortal Kombat movie got, could mean another ~20 million butts in seats.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Getting my second dose today and going to IMAX in a little less than two weeks. Watching at home confirmed I need to see it again in the biggest theater I can.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I'm curious how HBO factors into this. I imagine that's how most of us watched it last night. I would think Warner has some way of analyzing those subscriptions to roll it into considering whether the film was "successful" or not, despite the otherwise lower than normal box office take.
i can speak for LA - the movie made pretty much the maximum amount of money it could from LA yesterday. Basically only AMCs are open and only at 25%. When I checked at noon 95% of showings in the LA area were sold out for the whole day.

Today is looking like it is going to be the same thing:

N4N8nr3_d.webp

so HBO Max may have some long tail effects in how much it makes but I don't think it will impact opening weekend very much at all.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
It's interesting to me that it's doing so well despite being on HBO Max. Black Widow will be the ultimate test I guess as HMAX is only available in some countries (not China IIRC?).

I've always thought people overestimate the impact of piracy on box office and this feels like further fuel for that.

I *love* the idea that a film can be on digital for people who want to watch at home and still make bank at the B.O.

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
It's interesting to me that it's doing so well despite being on HBO Max. Black Widow will be the ultimate test I guess as HMAX is only available in some countries (not China IIRC?).

I've always thought people overestimate the impact of piracy on box office and this feels like further fuel for that.

I *love* the idea that a film can be on digital for people who want to watch at home and still make bank at the B.O.
The movie had been downloaded 100k+ times last night in just one site.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
If this is somehow still playing in a few months when I'm fully vaccinated I'm probably going to double dip to see it in a theater. I'd loved to have seen this on a big screen.

(I also hope some of these films get rereleased later on in the year or next year, since so few people will have gotten to see them in the intended IMAX setting)

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
If this is somehow still playing in a few months when I'm fully vaccinated I'm probably going to double dip to see it in a theater. I'd loved to have seen this on a big screen.

(I also hope some of these films get rereleased later on in the year or next year, since so few people will have gotten to see them in the intended IMAX setting)
I doubt it, schedules will be tight and you'll have a lot of movies trying to get the IMAX screens.

Oct 25, 2017
i can speak for LA - the movie made pretty much the maximum amount of money it could from LA yesterday. Basically only AMCs are open and only at 25%. When I checked at noon 95% of showings in the LA area were sold out for the whole day.

Today is looking like it is going to be the same thing:

N4N8nr3_d.webp

so HBO Max may have some long tail effects in how much it makes but I don't think it will impact opening weekend very much at all.

Ugh I'm jealous seeing AMC Dine-In. Ours closed permanently a few months ago. :(

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I doubt it, schedules will be tight and you'll have a lot of movies trying to get the IMAX screens.

I'm sure there will be some dead period they can pop them into, or do limited showings like they do for anime or classic films in the US. I got to see Raiders a few years back on IMAX, and it was pretty fun.

Even if it's just standard theaters, it's better than on my TV at home for something like GvK.

Prison_mike

Oct 26, 2017
Suck on that "movie theaters should close forever"-era.

Thank god this place doesn't represent the majority of the populace