• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
2add81f8d4.png
Absolutely amazing blurb lmao

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
GamesRadar

3/5

OK, so the bright lighting robs the VFX of heft, and the structure of Godzilla and Kong's relationship is entirely predictable. But watching these famous monsters share the screen for the first time since 1963's King Kong Vs. Godzilla, in a series of expertly choreographed battles, packs real wallop, even if you can't help wishing that screen was 30ft high at your local cinema.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Do I need to see Godzilla: KotM before I see this? I noticed a lot of the cast from that film are in this one.

BashNasty

Oct 30, 2017
These movies traffic in amazing imagery. Sure, the humans are a necessary evil to keep costs reasonable, but ain't nobody expecting no nothing from that there. Just give me a few big ass monster fights and I'm a happy man.

That's why I loved King of the Monsters, too.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope this film is a success and we get more. I really need a Monsterverse Biollante and Destroyah. Maybe even get the rights to Gamera somehow (he was featured in KOTM concept art).

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
This is one of those movies where I don't care what the reviews are like. I'm seeing it no matter what. Even though they've been building the hype for years I don't have high expectations. I just wanna enjoy it.

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
These movies traffic in amazing imagery. Sure, the humans are a necessary evil to keep costs reasonable, but ain't nobody expecting no nothing from that there. Just give me a few big ass monster fights and I'm a happy man.

That's why I loved King of the Monsters, too.

That's what I don't get about KOTM hate. The film looked amazing and had some great action. NONE of the human stuff works well in these films in my opinion. Even Skull Island could barely stitch together a decent set of characters and narrative.

I don't watch these flicks for the characterization.

TJG662

Oct 25, 2017
California
Ok I'm getting confused by when this movie releases. Is it the 25 or the 31 in the US. I have seen multiple dates. Confused why it doesn't have a world wide date.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Dave Lee's review, referenced above.
He hated Godzilla King of the Monsters. He thought the human stories were boring and bloated, hurting the entire experience.

But he loved this, despite it having similar issues it gave the humans something to do.

(No Spoilers whatsoever, doesn't even go into the plot)

This is good news, as this was also my experience with KOTM.

That's what I don't get about KOTM hate. The film looked amazing and had some great action. NONE of the human stuff works well in these films in my opinion. Even Skull Island could barely stitch together a decent set of characters and narrative.

I don't watch these flicks for the characterization.

I hated it because I thought it looked terrible and the action was incredibly dull. The only good shots were shown in the trailer. They had free rein to do anything freed from the suitmation restrictions and they did nothing with it at all. Obviously it's not the worst Godzilla movie but it's easily the most disappointing given the vast resources they had to work with. Waste of potential and especially Ghidorah.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That 2 out of 5...yep that's around what I expected a few of the reviews to be. Still hyped tho. But...why do the filmmakers insist on more human interaction? Who at the studio thinks Millie Bobby Brown antics are what viewers want to see when a majority just want to see a giant lizard smash buildings?

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
That 2 out of 5...yep that's around what I expected a few of the reviews to be. Still hyped tho. But...why do the filmmakers insist on more human interaction? Who at the studio thinks Millie Bobby Brown antics are what viewers want to see when a majority just want to see a giant lizard smash buildings?

Because Kaiju films have always been about the humans first and the monsters second. It's just the way the genre is.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
it's literally the same in all the Japanese movies.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Because Kaiju films have always been about the humans first and the monsters second. It's just the way the genre is.

it's literally the same in all the Japanese movies.

Sure. Doesn't mean it's safe from criticism just cause it's the norm. Read the room and you'll see it's the most disliked aspect in dang near all these reviews for kaiju films. Is that a genre issue? Are there no directors capable of breaking the mold? Lol. I think Hollywood is severely underestimating how much people wanna turn their brain off and just watch monsters fight for a majority of the runtime.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Sure. Doesn't mean it's safe from criticism just cause it's the norm. Read the room and you'll see it's the most disliked aspect in dang near all these reviews for kaiju films. Is that a genre issue? Are there no directors capable of breaking the mold? Lol. I think Hollywood is severely underestimating how much people wanna turn their brain off and just watch monsters fight for a majority of the runtime.

Oh it can absolutely be criticized.

For all the American ones? Sure. Depends on the films though. Shin Godzilla's human drama is often pointed at as a high point in the film. I love it.

Oct 25, 2017
Ouch.

It's like they read this thread.
They would have to reboot the entire America Godzilla franchise to get a good human story going. They failed the human side ever since the first movie, and it's been clear for a while now that they weren't ever gonna fix that issue by the 4th movie in the series with all the ridiculous stuff that's been introduced.

Still everything from the trailers and some impressions I've been reading has said the action is much better and far more entertaining then the stuff from the previous films, so I know what I'll be getting out of this movie by the end.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
RGZ7mth.png

Just for posterity, more reviews and it's still there. It's obviously not going to hold

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh it can absolutely be criticized.

For all the American ones? Sure. Depends on the films though. Shin Godzilla's human drama is often pointed at as a high point in the film. I love it.

I was meaning to watch that but yeah I should add I've seen only American kaiju films. If it's better in Japanese films then cool, Hollywood needs to start taking notes cause I haven't cared about any of the human interactions from the ones I've watched in my lifetime lol. I'm tuning in next week for one reason only..

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

A movie that's just monsters destroying a city is exhausting and uninteresting, like a Micheal Bay type spectacle. Shin Godzilla was on the right track, kind of. They'll get the balance right one day.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
To me these movies often fail because these monsters are supposed to be the focus but they are empty and hollow characters. I don't care about them so I don't care about these CG fights either. They don't offer some kind emotional or thematic payoff.

Adding humans to the story can fix that. But in most of those films once you cut out Kong or Godzilla, they just become regular disaster movies. I never understood the "shut off your brain" comments. I rather just not watch this mindless corporate stuff in the first place.

Shin Godzilla wanted to fix that by trying to tell a competent human story that could stand on its own. I liked that attempt.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
OG Godzilla, Shin Godzilla, The Host, Colossal show what a strong human story in a giant monster movie looks like. Also would include the Daimajin movies and Gamera Legion / Gamera Iris. Like Gamera Revenge of Iris only has one actual fight all the way in the final act, but it's brutal AF and builds up to that with tight interweaving of human drama and monster intrigue/escalation

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
OG Godzilla, Shin Godzilla, The Host, Colossal show what a strong human story in a giant monster movie looks like. Also would include the Daimajin movies and Gamera Legion / Gamera Iris

Noted. I think I'll start with Shin because I've always heard about it. I'd love to see the potential of what other filmmakers can do with a solid human story. Like I want to be convinced, I just haven't. And I'm always left leaving the theatre wishing it had more time dedicated to action because that is what I pay the ticket for lol.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Noted. I think I'll start with Shin because I've always heard about it. I'd love to see the potential of what other filmmakers can do with a solid human story. Like I want to be convinced, I just haven't. And I'm always left leaving the theatre wishing it had more time dedicated to action because that is what I pay the ticket for lol.

I think Shin will be a good start for you. It's basically a modernized remake of the 1954 film (which is also a masterpiece imo).

Vctor182

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw it, and I liked it. It is way better than KotM, fight scenes are bright and long, no planes cutting the shots and human plot is cut by 50%

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
The online sneak preview tomorrow got cancelled. XP Now I gotta wait another week, Oh well.

I think this is gonna do well. I tried to get those Godzilla and Kong chocolate bars at FYE and they're sold out. My local Walmart is completely sold out of the action figures and we had a full stock just two weeks ago. Godzilla vs. Kong merch seems to be selling like crazy.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
G+KvsMG clip

Movie is...ok~

Human part is basicly split into two part(Help Kong and find reason for Godzilla rampage)

Technology jump doesn't make sense, and Monarch doesn't have super tech, but corporation do?

Mecha-godzilla is probabely one of the strongest shown in the godzilla serie so far.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Movie is...ok~

Human part is basicly split into two part(Help Kong and find reason for Godzilla rampage)

Technology jump doesn't make sense, and Monarch doesn't have super tech, but corporation do?

Mecha-godzilla is probabely one of the strongest shown in the godzilla serie so far.

As long as Mechagodzilla kicks some ass, I'll be happy.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
User Warned: Posting Unmarked Spoilers
As long as Mechagodzilla kicks some ass, I'll be happy.

HE's really strong, and the way they beat him, some people don't like it~
And has new ability(Similiar to the godzilla from the new anime)

But they also did apprantly did add in some scene similiar to older film

Kong feeding tree(Axe handle) to Godzilla
Kong getting shock by electric line

Most of my friend like it too

But the common complaint is that the music is not very good in this one.

Mod Edit: Added Spoiler Tags

Last edited by a moderator:

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
The entire Millie Bobby Brown subplot is really bad in this one. Her mom really drag KoTM human story down for me, and unfortunately, Millie's role in Godzilla v Kong is similarly almost dragging the whole movie down for me this time.

Like if this is the subplot she had, I'd rather she's not in this movie at all.

Edit: GvK has some great thing in it, but I'll be lying that watching this, kinda make me see KoTM more favorably and want to watch it again

Oct 27, 2017

HE's really strong, and the way they beat him, some people don't like it~
And has new ability(Similiar to the godzilla from the new anime)

But they also did apprantly did add in some scene similiar to older film

Kong feeding tree(Axe handle) to Godzilla
Kong getting shock by electric line

Most of my friend like it too

But the common complaint is that the music is not very good in this one.

Why are you posting spoilers in a review thread do you not understand that warrants a ban?