• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I thought KOTM was alright and I didn't find the human stuff nearly as bad as I thought it'd be. But I also watched it on a plane, so by plane movie standards I guess, it was solid.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, more films need to be ok with being an hour and a half. So many movies I see are just 30 minutes longer than they need to be, to their own detriment.

OP
OP
Schlorgan

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Screenshot_20210329-140740_Edge.jpg

Certified Fresh incoming

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's 83 on rotten right now, and up to 63 on metacritic (Got positive!)

Lucky Aces

Banned
Dec 7, 2020
I'm shocked at the amount of positive reviews. Aren't most monster movies usually panned by critics?

I've been looking forward to seeing this film regardless of the ratings, but now it's also got me more hyped. I'm excited!

ozzyh26

Oct 28, 2017
KOTM was definitely a love letter from Dougherty for the more niche community of G-fans, which is funny/sad to see given its wider reception panning. But I'm glad to see GvK seemingly more than making up for it especially if it means a continued Monsterverse going forward. There's still so much yet to be touched on that us fans have been hoping for years to see given a time to shine in a high budget Hollywood epic.

Jul 10, 2020
Godzilla needs at least another two sequels to cover:

- Hedorah, a pollution monster that would be a great story to cover given climate change
- Destoroyah because the introduced the oxygen destroyer in KotM. Great way to end the series.

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
KOTM was definitely a love letter from Dougherty for the more niche community of G-fans, which is funny/sad to see given its wider reception panning. But I'm glad to see GvK seemingly more than making up for it especially if it means a continued Monsterverse going forward. There's still so much yet to be touched on that us fans have been hoping for years to see given a time to shine in a high budget Hollywood epic.
See, that's the weird thing about KOTM to me. It SHOULD have registered with me big time since I've been into these kinds of movies basically my whole life. I got my my mom to rent me Godzilla 1985 on VHS as a 4-5 year old and I remember the Bambi vs Godzilla cartoon short that played before it kinda weirding me out even.

But KOTM just....felt really flat to me. Even though it had all the monsters, including my personal favorite Rodan, it just didn't do anything for me. I can't even blame it on all the bland human stuff, I wasn't particularly thrilled with the monster action either. For a couple days after seeing it I tried to convince myself I liked it more than I did, but I couldn't lie to myself.

Really hoping I love GvK like I did Godzilla 2014 and Skull Island.

Sunnz

Apr 16, 2019
KOTM human section was bad simply down to the mother and her motives, like wtf it was so bad. Took too much screen time too. A film with THAT many monsters should have shown more monsters lol.

2014 was not too bad, nothing amazing but decent enough, still took too much screen time over Godzilla though.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I would have never expected a certified Fresh on this. Who the hell could have seen that coming lol.

WB are coming back strong after last year.

GvK isn't even 2 hours long.
WHAT

didn't know we were getting such a lean flick. That works well for this kind of film.

KoTM felt like it was three hours long.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
So happy this is reviewing really well! We have started our rewatch of Zilla 14, Skull Island, and KotM today. So excited for Wednesday, might go see it in theaters too in May after we get our 2nd dose of the vaccine in April.

Oct 25, 2017
See, that's the weird thing about KOTM to me. It SHOULD have registered with me big time since I've been into these kinds of movies basically my whole life. I got my my mom to rent me Godzilla 1985 on VHS as a 4-5 year old and I remember the Bambi vs Godzilla cartoon short that played before it kinda weirding me out even.

But KOTM just....felt really flat to me. Even though it had all the monsters, including my personal favorite Rodan, it just didn't do anything for me. I can't even blame it on all the bland human stuff, I wasn't particularly thrilled with the monster action either. For a couple days after seeing it I tried to convince myself I liked it more than I did, but I couldn't lie to myself.

Really hoping I love GvK like I did Godzilla 2014 and Skull Island.
I'm a bit of an enthusiast, you'd think it would have landed with me as well. I am absolutely included in the target when it comes to "niche community of G-fans" but I did not like KotM overall in spite of how much reference/"fanservice" it included.

Between nauseating dialogue like King Gonorrhea and every fight scene alternating between fast cutting, frantic shakycam or just straight up obscuring the action, it was hard to enjoy the parts that should have been awesome. I'm sure the action was great on the page, but it wasn't so great to watch. I think they handled the action very poorly. Send me back to 70s suit actors instead of modern hollywood effects if it means I actually get to see shit again.
People complain about 2014's cuts but KotM was like that shit on cocaine. Not only is it cutting away, it's now doing it every 6 seconds while the camera is flailing wildly through a particle effects tornado at the same time. Please stop.

I think the best part of that movie for me was between Rodan's reveal to it's arrival at Ghidorah. It's fairly straightforward, not too many interruptions, lighting is good, clear view of the action, Rodan's abilities are highlighted well, Rodan's effects on the local population are well demonstrated with POV grounds shots, and it has fun interactions with the fighter jets. It's all there, and I don't think any other monster scene in the movie is as well handled.
(The only moment in that portion of the movie when I wanted to gouge out my ears was when they just had to make a god damn joke about Rodan potentially wanting to fuck Ghidorah. I cannot express how much I want Dougherty to fuck off for shit like that.)

Despite being a bigger G fan, I think the best monsterverse movie was Skull Island. Everything was very well presented, action was clear and satisfying to follow, story was not overly convoluted, cast was focused, and nobody made any references to Kong wanting to fuck the skullcrawlers. Thumbs up, this is how you make a hollywood kaiju movie.

I have heard that GvK has much better and clearer action than KotM. I hope that's true. Basically all they need to do is provide clear action and avoid "jokes" that make my heart shrivel and die. If they do just those two things they're already above average in the monsterverse. Fingers crossed for a lot of good "realistic" POV shots too, those are great for scale.
Avoiding convolution is a smart move too but I fear that ship has already sailed, we'll see. Excited for Wednesday.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I would have never expected a certified Fresh on this. Who the hell could have seen that coming lol.

WB are coming back strong after last year.

WHAT

didn't know we were getting such a lean flick. That works well for this kind of film.

KoTM felt like it was three hours long.

lmao same feeling when we watched it yesterday even though it was 2 hours long too

Oct 25, 2017
The downgrade in directing from 2014 to KOTM lowered my enjoyment of it. It had some really good shots where the build up was better than the actual fighting and the screen shaking was really annoying. The best action sequence was the Rodan scene and probably when they resurrect Godzilla with the nuke and he pop ups out of the water. ( Even though I can't stand nuclear weapons being taken, so lightly in a movie about Godzilla.) The fact that there was debris, wind, water obscuring the screen for almost the entire movie really started to grate on my nerves by the end .

Oct 25, 2017
The downgrade in directing from 2014 to KOTM lowered my enjoyment of it. It had some really good shots where the build up was better than the actual fighting and the screen shaking was really annoying. The best action sequence was the Rodan scene and probably when they resurrect Godzilla with the nuke and he pop ups out of the water. ( Even though I can't stand nuclear weapons being taken, so lightly in a movie a about Godzilla.) The fact that there was debris, wind, water obscuring the screen for almost the entire movie really started to grate on my nerves by the end .
it was weird that the big scary oxygen destroyer did practically nothing at all
and that a japanese man nuking himself with an american bomb was depicted as a good thing
in a godzilla movie

mistakes were made

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
The epilogue of Monke Island on paper is the most forced, unearned, eye roll worthy way of ending that film, but John C sells it SO HARD

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Hell yeah brother.

I just finished the 2 godzilla rewatches and moving onto skull island tonight. I love Skull Island.

Shit choked me up!

Call me nuts, but I think the Cubs are going to be pretty good this year. I think the pitching staff will be better than last year.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Wow it's so awesome that this seems to be pretty good! I was a Godzilla fanatic as a kid and a few years ago I managed to watch the Heisei films and Shin Godzilla which were great. I was so bummed about King of the Monsters which had such iconic monsters but was total dogshit. So I'm just really happy that this is good and I'm looking forward to seeing it.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
it was weird that the big scary oxygen destroyer did practically nothing at all
and that a japanese man nuking himself with an american bomb was depicted as a good thing
in a godzilla movie

mistakes were made
Along the line of sacrifices too the mom also sacrifices herself in a pretty dumb way after a character people at least liked already did the big "greater good" sacrifice. One of those should've been cut and it was definitely the moms

Oct 25, 2017
Along the line of sacrifices too the mom also sacrifices herself in a pretty dumb way after a character people at least liked already did the big "greater good" sacrifice. One of those should've been cut and it was definitely the moms
sidenote the mom's sacrifice is always a little peculiar to think about because of the implied manner of her death
at first you think she dies in the crash, but then she actually crawls out alive and well to witness godzilla's arrival
as godzilla approaches the area, everything becomes superheated and melts
it cut away before her death was witnessed
but you know exactly how it happened
her hair caught fire, she screeched as her skin began boiling, and then she melted like the ending of Raiders of the Lost Ark

kinda fucked up shit going on off-screen

lhnFDR9.gif

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
sidenote the mom's sacrifice is always a little peculiar to think about because of the implied manner of her death
you think she dies in the crash but then she actually crawls out alive and well to witness godzilla's arrival
as godzilla approached the area, everything became superheated and melted
it cut away before her death was witnessed
but you know exactly how it happened
her hair caught fire, she screeched as her skin began boiling, and then she melted like the ending of Raiders of the Lost Ark

kinda fucked up shit going on off-screen

lhnFDR9.gif
It's true I also figured she died in the truck but yep she gets nuclear-ly FUCKED up

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
The mom plot really drag KOTM down when I first watch it, just give really bad impression coming out of theater, but when rewatching it and I already know about the mom, I can just appreciate the rest of the movie more and there are a lot to like.

The dad actually feel really capable as the main character for human plotline. He know these titan behaviors. The stakes feel really high where you just can't see how the hell are they coming out of this. Serizawa sacrifice works for me on emotional level. And the final battle felt more dynamic like first you though Godzilla is winning because he's recently juiced by nuke, but then Ghidora absorb energy from power plant and start winning, then Mothra and Rodan enter the fight, then later Godzilla become super saiyab etc, the fight feel exciting with me not sure what's going to happen next.

In comparison, Godzilla vs Kong final fight just feel more straight forward. And the human plot is imo, make less sense than KoTM, and they actually make these titans feel smaller and less threatening than in KOTM

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It dropped to 80 at over 100 reviews, but I believe this almost guaranteed it will be certified fresh unless somehow every review after was incredibly negative.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
it was just an excuse to make a japanese man dramatically nuke himself
there were zero spooky skeletons it was just a green light that made godzilla v v sleepy until he had a snack

compared to...
iIWsq2F.gif
That was also the last film were we had good human characters.

Your take was to make a Japanese man nuke himself, the point of the whole scene is that he dedicated his life to this god and he was doing the ultimate sacrifice to something he loves.