• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who will win?

• Godzilla

Votes: 214 45.9%
  • Kong

Votes: 85 18.2%
  • Thor 2: The Dark World

Votes: 167 35.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
694940094001_6064351180001_6064353883001-vs.jpg

German release where/when :(
I want to see the big lizard punch the monke.

Refrain

Oct 27, 2017
I hate it.
I hate it so much.
Why do I have to wait until May 14th to watch it here in Japan.
In the country which Godzilla originated from?

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I hate it.
I hate it so much.

Here in Brazil we don't have hbo max and the snyder cut was released on digital (for sale/rent) same day as the hbo max version

Maybe you could vpn your way out?

Like i came here because i was like "didn't this movie came out today? Where are the digital copies???" xD

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Is this out in the US yet?

Or is it locked until 3/31?

I want to sub for HBO Max but I don't want to resub too early.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
So we just got tickets for the 4dx on sunday and holy shit, only 4 more seats remain. Its fucking packed (well half packed, you need to leave 2 seats closed between people), I know its only half but the things is, its the 4dx version. The 2 times ive been to 4dx theres were no more than 6 or 10 people, becuase it is fucking expensive compared to a normal ticket.

And the thing is, the first time i went to 4dx, it was in KotM first week, so this is a complete change. And I had a blast with KotM 4dx version (we even got out completely soaked lol). I dont think this is gonna be as good (becuase i think the big water fans are gonna be off for covid measures) but i hope its better than when we went ot the rerelease of Jurassic Park in 4dx.

People are joking about Nolan wanting Tenet to save cinemas and its gonna be Kong and Godzilla who actually do, but it really seems that way seeing the people actually wanting to go to the cinema to watch this.

I hate it.
I hate it so much.

Most of the time, international dates for movie change if they think other movies are gonna take ticket sales from them (or becuase a vacation in that country makes it more atractive to release it in those dates than the worldwide date). So i suppose they think so movie relasing this week in Japan is gonna make less people go and watch their movie.
Its should totally have been released at the same time though, even if american godzilla doesnt seem to be that popular there. How did shin godzilla do when it released?

This movie was fucking AMAZING. Hands down the best in the MonsterVerse, trailer doesn't do justice to the scale and weight of the fight scenes, human subplots are dumb but the director realizes this and goes over the top, love it, very Pacific Rim. Kong is great, Godzilla is great, the story is so fucking stupid fun.

Probably one of my favorite blockbusters in years.

I appreciate it that, despite the cliched ending, they actually delivered on the promise of the film's title in such a clear non-bullshit way.
This all sounds great excpet the ending. Becuase i really dont fucking want Godzilla to die (kong will not becuase he seems to be the money maker here), and I never minded they obviously were gonna do a team up (and would be glad if both went their own way, I dont give a fuck who falls or wins, really, just that they crack the skull of "redacted" in a really cool way).

Last edited:

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Saw it a few hours ago. Worth going to the theater for this. (I stayed TF away from one for over a year)
Amazing movie and it makes me more bitter that KotM wasted those monsters (specailly Ghidorah), Ken Watanabe and that soundtrack by Bear Mcreary with lame cuts and awful jokes.

Oct 27, 2017
Saw it a few hours ago. Worth going to the theater for this. (I stayed TF away from one for over a year)
Amazing movie and it makes me more bitter that KotM wasted those monsters (specailly Ghidorah), Ken Watanabe and that soundtrack by Bear Mcreary with lame cuts and awful jokes.
KotM really was a HUGE let down. I still haven't watched it fully through for a second viewing. I still bought the blu-ray for my collection and just cringe my way through parts of it and eventually give up only to skip to certain scenes and mentally complain about how awful even the few good scenes are handled.

I'm actually not looking forward to it coming up in my Godzilla marathon.

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
KotM really was a HUGE let down. I still haven't watched it fully through for a second viewing. I still bought the blu-ray for my collection and just cringe my way through parts of it and eventually give up only to skip to certain scenes and mentally complain about how awful even the few good scenes are handled.

I watched twice because I first thought that it was probably my own bias ir something. After a second viewing, it was even worse! Not surprised that it performed poorly.

Oct 27, 2017
I watched twice because I first thought that it was probably my own bias ir something. After a second viewing, it was even worse! Not surprised that it performed poorly.
I think the Rodan escape was the highlight of the film and the other monsters should have had the same treatment in their reveals.

I'm pretty sure KotM is the last film I saw in theaters so seeing GvK next Friday makes it that much more special as my return to theaters lol.

Karsha

May 1, 2020
Going to the cinema in a few hours to watch it, I've seen only the first trailer and know nothing else, hopeful its good!

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
Man that was definitely the best out of all of them. The actions were clear and well choreographed, peeps who just want giant monsters going at it will be pleased.

Wouldn't want to watch it at home though, find a nice dolby theater at the least.

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the Rodan escape was the highlight of the film and the other monsters should have had the same treatment in their reveals.

I'm pretty sure KotM is the last film I saw in theaters so seeing GvK next Friday makes it that much more special as my return to theaters lol.

Guaranteed that you'll have a way way way better time with this. Thumbs up.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Really enjoyed this, it's an absolutely massive step up over KOTM (which was hot trash). Still has lots of flaws and the story doesn't make a lick of sense but it was fun.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017

I personally enjoyed kotm but I HATED the mother character and her motivation to do bad things, and also a lot of cuts between action and drama. Also they tried to do an redemption arc for her in the end, and imo failed at it. Still don't like her.

This movie did these all better and how the villains are handled are more straightforward like I how wanted them to.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I personally enjoyed kotm but I HATED the mother character and her motivation to do bad things, and also a lot of cuts between action and drama. Also they tried to do an redemption arc for her in the end, and imo failed at it. Still don't like her.

This movie did these all better and how the villains are handled are more straightforward like I how wanted them to.
Having watched 24 (on 25 currently) Godzilla flicks in 27 days this month, I can admit that the human plot isn't the worst part of the flick. But the editing, direction, sense of scale and the majority of the fight choreography and monster cinematography leave a lot to be desired.

Those dumb jokes by that scientist guy and the gonorrhea line really really irk me when they share a movie in which Serizama makes a heroic sacrifice.

"'Let them fight', I loved it when he said that".
*vomits*

Karsha

May 1, 2020
Just saw it, the fights between the monsters are great but the humans and their plotline just suck and kill the pacing of the movie, just make a monster brawl for 2 hours and I'd be happy enough with this drama bs

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like someone turned that piece of art into actual figures! Or maybe that piece of art was promo for these figures?

163800517_26010815901m1j7x.jpg

163287695_260108161014pjpn.jpg

164229830_26010815668gekpb.jpg

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Caught Zilla '14 for the third time, last rewatch was the day before KoTM

I love this film more and more with each viewing. The visuals, cinematography, and the overbearing weight of the monsters are simply perfect.

And yea, the cinematic blue balls following Zilla's first appearance still doesn't work, but I really don't find the rest of the film slow. In fact, I had forgotten how many great set pieces there were following up to the final battle.

And of course, everything from the HALO Jump to the Atomic breath is incredible. That whole sequence looks and sounds amazing, especially on the new 4K release.

I was planning on giving KoTM a second chance today, but I think I'll go for another round of Monke Island instead. From what I remember, KoTM removes everything that worked about the predecessor in favor of weightless action and Transformers-tier human characters. What an awful sequel that was.

Can't watch to catch GvM next weekend. Seeing the box office numbers overseas has me thinking Hollywood monster flicks are not down for the count yet, despite KoTM's best effort to murder the genre.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I loved 'Godzilla: King of the Monsters,' might like Kong: Skull Island more though. And I feel like I'll like Godzilla 2016 better on a rewatch. While the human subplots are as uninspiring as ever, I do like it when they ground it down to a human perspective and these monsters, legends, mythos and battles feel larger than life, and epic. I liked it when we are up-close and we never really see the whole figure of the monster on screen. So far Godzilla V Kong has been described as everything I fear it to be, and none of the trailers has done it for me, and it's already been compared to Pacific Rim in here which is another movie I really dread. I'll still be sitting my ass day one, since there haven't been a MonsterVerse movie I've outright disliked thus far.

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
I'm gonna explode the windows of my house with Zilla's roar. Just three more days.

giphy.gif

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
I watched Godzilla'14 the other night on Max.

It was still great to me. Had me hooked and didn't fast forward anything. Great scenes. The human element wasn't that bad, it felt restrained (even after Cranston is out) especially against KoTM. Also, ATJ is just fine.

Was kinda weird after watching Wandavision too, haha.

Hyped for next week.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
i only now realized that Rebecca Hall is in this ❤️

It was still great to me. Had me hooked and didn't fast forward anything. Great scenes. The human element wasn't that bad, it felt restrained (even after Cranston is out) especially against KoTM. Also, ATJ is just fine.

Was kinda weird after watching Wandavision too, haha.

Hyped for next week.
Yeah Edwards was smart to have such a small cast. Kick Ass is really the only central character once Cranston leaves.

I'm not sure why Dougherty decided to have 15 human characters.

Oct 27, 2017
i only now realized that Rebecca Hall is in this ❤

Yeah Edwards was smart to have such a small cast. Kick Ass is really the only central character once Cranston leaves.

I'm not sure why Dougherty decided to have 15 human characters.
Did you say "human canker sores"?

the type of line deemed worthy for his many unnecessary characters

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Given the GvK success, what's next for the Monsterverse? Reboot? Sequel? Godzilla Vs Pacific Rimverse?

Metalmucil

Aug 17, 2019
Went 2 days ago with my Godzilla movie buddy. Loved it. It reminded me of the more insane Godzilla movies along the lines of Space Godzilla or Final Wars in terms of plot craziness and just plan WTF contrivances ... but with a massive AAA Hollywood budget.

The humans are just kind of there to get us from scene to scene. It's a Godzilla movie, that's all you need. Plus, as I mentioned, the plot is silly enough for you to not really care. Its also less of a Godzilla movie as the heart of the movie is Kong.

Plus, the Mech-G design (and the fact that it is kinda using Ghidorah's 'brain') is AMAZING I thought it was clunky looking for about 30 seconds, then it started moving and fighting and it just works. Absolutely fantastic.

Oct 25, 2017
Given the GvK success, what's next for the Monsterverse? Reboot? Sequel? Godzilla Vs Pacific Rimverse?
We probably got to wait to see if Legendary renews the rights to their Godzilla license or not.

It was supposed to run out last or sometime this year if I remember correctly, and I'm really not sure how COVID affected their deal.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
I really am curious as to whether the apparent success of GvK ends up reviving what all of us assumed was a now-dead franchise over here.

Good news, certainly.

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
Really pumped to see and hear what this sounds like in Dolby Cinema. Seeing it in the same theater and on the same screen as the last movie I saw in theaters, which was 1917 over a year ago.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Interesting- I just heard a couple of reviews that claim the movie teases future installments, sounds like those teases are baked into the plot though?

They used whatever they were planning in the movie itself.
www.dreadcentral.com

Exclusive: GODZILLA VS KONG Director Adam Wingard Explains Why No Post-Credits Scene

Exclusive: GODZILLA VS KONG Director Adam Wingard Explains Why No Post-Credits Scene

Adam Wingard on the future:

"The MonsterVerse is at a crossroads now," Wingard continued. "It's really at the point where audiences have to kind of step forward and vote for more of these things. If this movie is a success obviously they will continue forward.

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
If the Monsterverse doesn't continue I wonder if Toho will go through with their own plans. If I remember correctly they announced a "World of Godzilla" series, building a new cinematic universe. Right now they seem to be okay with just working on anime stuff.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
They used whatever they were planning in the movie itself.
www.dreadcentral.com

Adam Wingard on the future:
Nice. Well considering the numbers already, it sounds like we're getting more.

My point was that the movie itself apparently sets up future storylines. I didn't want them spoiled here but I wanted confirmation of what reviewers have been saying.

Oct 27, 2017
If the Monsterverse doesn't continue I wonder if Toho will go through with their own plans. If I remember correctly they announced a "World of Godzilla" series, building a new cinematic universe. Right now they seem to be okay with just working on anime stuff.
I'd love to see what could be done with a new suit Godzilla flick with cg enhancements. Maybe even hire the Henson folks who did Dark Crystal for Netflix assuming they have nothing lined up after JW Dominion (last I knew they were hired for that at least).

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles

No. He's not. I just watched Godzilla 2014 for the first time in about two years and while the directing is very good, it's a good story, and Bryan Cranston is the best thing in the movie outside of Godzilla himself, Aaron TaylorJohnson ruins it for me. He is the central character that has the emotional weight of the movie on his shoulders and he just doesn't carry it. His acting is too poor. He didn't cry or yell in anguish when his father died. He barely looked frightened when these giant monsters were brushing against him. All he had was a constant look of concern 24/7.

The movie's pacing is better than I remember, but I just couldn't connect with ATJ's character and that's a big problem in this movie.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post.

Vctor182

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Godzilla 2014 is good for introducing the monsterverse. Up until Hawaii everything is good, Bryan Cranston carries the human plot and you care for his goal to prove that he was right. But after Hawaii blue balling godzilla the plot just sinks and he doesn't return right until the last part of the film.