• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
My brain can never accept Kong at that size. It looks like he can kick over the Empire State Building, not climb it.

Kong in Skull Island was about 30m tall.
We are told he is a youngin in that movie, so him growing to about 100m does kinda make sense.
Godzilla is around 100 - 130m tall in this incarnation.

Also a smaller King Kong in this day and age wouldnt be an issue at all.
If he was 10m talls like his more classic incarnations he wouldnt be a threat at all to any city.
Taking down a 10m tall ape would be easy work.....he needs to be much bigger so we are actually like WTF thats a huge bitch.

The Empire state building is:
carrier-size-1024x643.png

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
I guess I'm down. Remember how Mad Max: Fury Road was essentially one long chase scene? I'd wish they do that for the fight. Human characters incidental, just fighting and swinging skyscrapers like weapons. I liked the battles in King of the Monsters, but there was too much GI Joe shit and any time a human being not called Ken Watanabe was on screen I dozed off.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
you know there's going to be some kind of damaged family relationship that needs repairing.

Uuuugh. I really hope they're going for the Kong: Skull Island vibe more than King of the Monsters. If you need to give me humans in a movie like this, give me Samurai Tom Hiddleston and Mad Samuel Jackson. Or ACTUALLY well written characters and plot like in Hideaki Anno's Godzilla. But I don't think there's much chance for that, so...yeah, Samurai Tom Hiddleston it is.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Well....

6690572-7662444215-Candi.gif

Depends if kong is bulletproof I guess :p

Stromtropper level accuracy from that APC gunner.

But yes a King Kong that small isnt anywhere near a threat in a universe that has seen a bunch of titans and frikken King Ghidorah.
If you are going to share the screen with Godzilla you need to be atleast half his height.
Being up to his knees.....mate.

Monarch would cut the phone when someone reported this new titan.
Civ: Theres a Titan ramping in the city
Monarch: Where the ground isnt shaking and skyscrapers are still standing?
Civ: No hes not big or anything just....bigger?
Monarch: Sir you have the wrong number this is Monarch you meant to be calling Regent they deal with slightly bigger Zoo animals.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Is Rampage worth a watch?

I'm guessing not, but I'm desperate for Hollywood budgeted Monster flicks

Yes! The concept is utterly ludicrous (it is one foot in and one foot out of it's pulp origins which makes it tonally 'off' and it never quite works ) but some of the monster fights are cool.

I'd check it out.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I guess that new teaser confirms some of the crazier spoilers

Axe made from G spines

Jac_Solar

Oct 28, 2017
So, based on this they are now basically exactly the same size?

In King of Monsters, Godzilla was apparently 119 meters. In Skull Island, King Kong was 32 meters.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like I'm gonna have to catch up on these before the new one hits. There's just the three movies, right? Godzilla, Skull Island, and King of the Monsters?

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
King of the Monsters isn't that bad. Idk why people hate on it so much. Was the human shit bad? Yeah. But at least the human element was kind of campy/fun unlike Godzilla '14. And Ghidorah was fucking awesome. We saw legit action scenes between the monsters in that movie unlike '14.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
King of the Monsters isn't that bad. Idk why people hate on it so much. Was the human shit bad? Yeah. But at least the human element was kind of campy/fun unlike Godzilla '14. And Ghidorah was fucking awesome. We saw legit action scenes between the monsters in that movie unlike '14.

Yeah, it's weird how this Godzilla movie of all films gets dogpiled on here so much. I don't think it's a great movie, but it was entertaining enough and the first time that the classic trio of monsters besides Godzilla were fully realized in a big budget film and I don't think enough credit is given for that considering how wrong their depictions could have otherwise gone.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
For me, I was disappointed because just about every shot of the monsters by themselves or in battle were incredibly murky, draped with at least 3 layers of particle effects in general that just made for a really unsatisfying visual experience. The fights failed to pop and then you're just left with c-grade human drama to fill the gaps, which would have been fine if monster scenes connected better visually.

Blablurn

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Yeah, it's weird how this Godzilla movie of all films gets dogpiled on here so much. I don't think it's a great movie, but it was entertaining enough and the first time that the classic trio of monsters besides Godzilla were fully realized in a big budget film and I don't think enough credit is given for that considering how wrong their depictions could have otherwise gone.
The human story suuuuuucked so much

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
The human story suuuuuucked so much
I don't find it any worse than those of most Godzilla movies, or even some Hollywood films for that matter. I didn't care much about the human story in KOTM either, but I'm not going to go out of my way and say "the human story suuuuuuucked so much" when movies like Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen and The Last Knight exist which are actually offensive to watch.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
For me, I was disappointed because just about every shot of the monsters by themselves or in battle were incredibly murky, draped with at least 3 layers of particle effects in general that just made for a really unsatisfying visual experience. The fights failed to pop and then you're just left with c-grade human drama to fill the gaps, which would have been fine if monster scenes connected better visually.
I just rewatched a couple of the scenes on YouTube and have no idea what you mean by murky and draped. Yes they're using techniques to hide the CGI but Ghidorah + Rhodan v Godzilla + Mothra is pacific rim levels of clarity. It's not like you don't know what's going on. And Godzilla '14 literally cuts away from action right as it happens several times. This movie gets shit for rewarding you for trodding along the human stuff by giving you full blown Kaiju action, I don't get it.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
People always talk about how "bad" the human stories in a lot of Godzilla films are, and while there's some truth to that, the best ones have always been nice and simple.

In the case of most of the Heisei era films, you had science squad vs Godzilla vs third party most of the time, and some limited drama between science squad characters. By and large the same for the Millenium films.

In the Showa era, it was always a mix of genres. In Godzilla vs Mothra's case, a crime drama mixed with kaiju hijinks. Or an alien invasion story.

I wouldn't argue any of these were brilliant, but they were entertaining in their own right. It's why those older films worked even when there was ultimately only 20 minutes of actual monster action across 100 minutes of runtime.

You can absolutely make a fun and entertaining human narrative within a Godzilla film, it's just that King of the Monsters especially failed at this not because it was doomed to fail, but because the actual human story sucked ass.

If you cut the poorly written family drama about a genocidal mother and her issues out of the movie, you'd have a perfectly functional tale about Team Science vs The End of the World.

Hell, keep the environment terrorist dudes because that falls in line with Goji stories.

But don't even try to get me to care about this family and the fact that the mom is a total monster. Do not attempt to get me to feel "sad" by the end for her plight.

I think Skull Island is the PERFECT example of a Godzilla-style human story that's plenty entertaining and light.

Blablurn

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
i didnt mind the human story in Edwards Godzilla movie. But cutting away from the action in the beginning definitely hurt.

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
Its weird that the toy leaks have only Kong,Godzilla,MechaGodzilla,Skull Crawler and Nozuki(Serpent like Titan(?) thats probably on Skull Island),the rest of Kaijus from KOTM are absent

Oct 25, 2017
People always talk about how "bad" the human stories in a lot of Godzilla films are, and while there's some truth to that, the best ones have always been nice and simple.

In the case of most of the Heisei era films, you had science squad vs Godzilla vs third party most of the time, and some limited drama between science squad characters. By and large the same for the Millenium films.

In the Showa era, it was always a mix of genres. In Godzilla vs Mothra's case, a crime drama mixed with kaiju hijinks. Or an alien invasion story.

I wouldn't argue any of these were brilliant, but they were entertaining in their own right. It's why those older films worked even when there was ultimately only 20 minutes of actual monster action across 100 minutes of runtime.

You can absolutely make a fun and entertaining human narrative within a Godzilla film, it's just that King of the Monsters especially failed at this not because it was doomed to fail, but because the actual human story sucked ass.

If you cut the poorly written family drama about a genocidal mother and her issues out of the movie, you'd have a perfectly functional tale about Team Science vs The End of the World.

Hell, keep the environment terrorist dudes because that falls in line with Goji stories.

But don't even try to get me to care about this family and the fact that the mom is a total monster. Do not attempt to get me to feel "sad" by the end for her plight.

I think Skull Island is the PERFECT example of a Godzilla-style human story that's plenty entertaining and light.
I agree, Skull Island nailed it, KotM fumbled it
It's best to keep it simple and avoid getting convoluted
The simpler the better really, with a limited palette of characters.
It's kinda the same idea with horror. The more convoluted you make it, the less interesting it becomes, and the less fun the monsters are.

It feels easy for me to explain the Kong plot in a couple sentences. A unit sent by the US government goes to find/track Kong but the mission turns to survival when they find more monsters than they expected. They find a stranded veteran along the way and escape together. That covers most of the important bits and the ending right there.
For KotM I can hardly even tell you the plot. There's so much bullshit in that movie, where do I even begin?

Skull Island did it best. G14 wasn't ideal but got the job done, solid effort. KotM tripped and fell face first into shit.

Last edited:

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017

SpaceBridge

Oct 31, 2017
Are they setting this in a city? Or skull island?
Gonna feel disappointed of all we get if trees getting trashed.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I need this to be good

G'14 has aged quite well, especially on a rewatch if you go in with the right expectations. Like you said, the visual aspect was simply stunning. KoTM was some Transformers shit in comparison.

Yep. Sucks that Edwards hasn't directed anything since Rogue One.