• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Oof, is it entertaining throughout at least?
That's a real hard question to answer. I found it entertaining, but I've also watched through ridiculous Godzilla movies before so this is nothing new to me. Some people will most definitely find it boring though. It's far from a perfect movie.

If you have ever seen an old Godzilla movie before like Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster is basically that but with a higher budget, including the human characters you'll have to drudge through. If you can make it past that then go for it.

Oct 28, 2017
Probably the loudest movie I've ever seen. Seeing this in IMAX is like aural torture for 2 hours. Just an endless barrage of noise and fury

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, so do you think Tywin's gonna somehow build Mecha Ghidorah or do you think he's gonna splice it with the black market monster DNA they mentioned earlier in the movie along with Ghidorah's regeneration to make Kaiser Ghidorah?

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Did a double header tonight watching this first and then Ma after.

It got pretty boring at times and a lot of the deaths were so stupid. Thankfully you didn't have to wait till the last 5 minutes to get monster action. It was much better through out.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
My two favorite parts were Godzilla going critical at the end glowing red melting everything around releasing massive waves of radiation and heat. Ghidorah couldn't even attempt to fight that. The music had me hyped. Has Godzilla ever had a powered up mode like that before? The second was the weaker monsters being stared down by Godzilla and pledging fealty especially that coward Rodan.

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw the movie. It's been a long time since I watched a Godzilla movie, and I hadn't seen 2014 version. The kaiju all looked really great when they were onscreen, but man I had my fill of the humans halfway through. The monsters are your stars, and it felt like at least half of the fights were cutaways to humans jumping/driving from danger.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
I feel like I'm just adding to the already said opinions however I felt like the music/visuals in this movie were amazing.

I hated the parents just as much as everyone else.
I didn't hate Millie Bobby Brown's character that much. I also thought Ice Cube's son was pretty good too.

However, I enjoyed it. I thought the family side plot and the humans in general were boring but that's gonna happen in almost every Godzilla or Kaiju movie if we're being real. I'm totally excited for the next movie though, I'm in for the next ride.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
4% is straight up lie. Maybe if he's talking about 2014 zilla. This has at least about 4x/5x more kaiju / fights time than the 2014 zilla. I found the fights fun and entertaining, 2014 fights has better cinematography but was wayyy too late to get into it lol.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
This film was great!

That entire 3rd Act blew me the fuck away.

It was so visceral and grim; IMAX is a must for this film, since it elevated the brilliant sound design and overall soundstrack.

Ziyi's characters being revealed as the Twins from Mothra's lore gave chills, as did fuckin BURNING GODZILLA

T_T

Not sure how I feel about that ominous scene at the end, with the monsters capitulating to Godzilla.

They're setting him up as a villainous figure heading into the Kong sequel.

I absolutely loathe that giant ape, lol

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Probably the loudest movie I've ever seen. Seeing this in IMAX is like aural torture for 2 hours. Just an endless barrage of noise and fury

Yeah I mentioned this in the other thread. Got to a point where it was just noise. Sounds YMMV. My back right speaker was either off, or only the left one was turned up too much. I was hesitant to say bad sound editing.

Aine

May 27, 2019
My two favorite parts were Godzilla going critical at the end glowing red melting everything around releasing massive waves of radiation and heat. Ghidorah couldn't even attempt to fight that. The music had me hyped. Has Godzilla ever had a powered up mode like that before? The second was the weaker monsters being stared down by Godzilla and pledging fealty especially that coward Rodan.

I believe the excess radiation melting the buildings is a direct lift from the original Gojira.

Oct 25, 2017
I believe the excess radiation melting the buildings is a direct lift from the original Gojira.
It's a nod to burning Godzilla from Godzilla vs. Destroyah.

214a270668c8066635c95e892ef9901dcefcb990_hq.jpg

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
The subplot of the girl running home, the army landing a chopper in the stadium to look for her during the fight, the stupid double "Home" realisation and the roads even being drivable after all the destruction was the dumbest part of the film. And I'll throw in the Mother's Hail to the King line in there asell because that was stupid. Cut out all of that crap and just let me see the fight.

Mothra during the final battle was the best part of the film.

Also I hope the next film addresses how utterly fk'ed the world is after all the destruction.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
A few things that I either picked up on or heard about that appear to be leading into the next film.

- Ghidorah left head in the after credits. They are either going to mix the DNA with something else or create Mecha Ghidorah. I fully expect this to be the real enemy in Godzilla vs. Kong next year.
- During the end credits, there are some teases for what might be in the next film. One such tease was that a second Mothra egg was found. It should be noted that director Michael Dougherty had a spoiler interview with Collider where he said they had intended on filming a second teaser where we would follow Dr. Chen into a bar where she meets her twin sister. They have a discussion then enter a temple where the second Mothra egg is being held. However, the biggest reveal during this teaser would have been that not only are Dr. Chen and her twin the MonsterVerse's version of the Twin fairies, but a new set of Twins (age 5) are revealed.
- Also during the end credits, it is revealed through newspaper clippings that various Titans are making their way to Skull Island.

Unless these are teases for future Godzilla films, it seems like we may see the following in Godzilla vs. Kong:
  • Godzilla (obviously)
  • Kong (obviously)
  • Mothra
  • Some creature made from Ghidorah DNA
  • Some or all of the Titans that appeared in the film including Rodan
Returning human characters, based on IMDB:
  • Mark Russell: Kyle Chandler
  • Madison Russell: Millie Bobby Brown
  • Dr. Chen: Zhang Ziyi
Curiously it seems like Dr. Chen is the only Monarch scientist that is returning. Of course it's possible that they haven't listed the rest yet.

Source for the second Mothra egg and twins reveal. He mentions it at around the 13:30 mark.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
I loved it as well!!! Best current Godzilla movie yet!!! All hail the king.

The end credits newspaper scenes, one of the headlines said "What's a king to a God." My guess that was in reference to Kong, it's going to be interesting seeing those two titans go head to head.
I loved it as well!!! Best current Godzilla movie yet!!! All hail the king.

The end credits newspaper scenes, one of the headlines said "What's a king to a God." My guess that was in reference to Kong, it's going to be interesting seeing those two titans go head to head.
They confirmed the two are fighting in the third when this movie was announced I believe and I think that cave painting they showed in the end credits, of Godzilla and Kong fighting ,was in Skull Island itself as well.

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017
The human stuff honestly isn't that bad. It added some scale to the big fights, and I thought the rest was charmingly stupid.

The plot was more fun than 2014, that's for sure.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Did anyone get annoyed with how many times the dad character tells Ken Watanabe's character what he's doing is wrong, not morally but as in the wrong course of action to take. It happens like 3-4 times and he's correct every time.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
The human stuff honestly isn't that bad. It added some scale to the big fights, and I thought the rest was charmingly stupid.

The plot was more fun than 2014, that's for sure.
The humans in this remind me of your typical cast that you would see in a Roland Emmerich disaster flick, without a Jeff Goldblum or Will Smith to elevate it. Not exactly a ringing endorsement ;). With that said, while the characters were the weakest part of the film, they certainly didn't ruin it for me.

Last edited:

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Shouldn't have all those dummies at the end got blinded by staring directly into big G's nuclear flash at the end? 🤣

Also totally understand the real reason why the mom bounced in the end. Wasn't for redemption. Fuck having to deal with the aftermath, trials, etc. and took the easy way out haha.

Watched it in 4DX and enjoyed the movie, even though you could nitpick the hell out of the human stuff. Loved the lore bits and characterizations of the titans and nods to the older stuff.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Man....Godzilla got dropped from the upper atmosphere and survived. There's absolutely nothing Kong could do to him even if Goji didn't go full meltdown mode.

Anywho, I saw the movie last night. The human stuff was fine, though I do believe some of it could be cut, probably in the middle or so. I thought things were moving pretty quickly for a bit there. The dad's character was a little eh though considering how he just can solve everything. I guess they couldn't make him go full Sam Jackson trying to fight Goji and leave Millie Bobbie Brown an orphan, but hey man, they've got so much radiation poisoning who knows.

One thing I found pretty amusing, though if it wasn't funny to me, it'd probably be a nitpick, was Rodan's inexplicable ability to just phase out of existance to save his own life. When he fights King Ghidorah initially, he gets knocked into the ocean, and is never shown getting out before the oxygen destroyer goes off, but he turns up just fine a minute later to submit to Ghidorah. Then after Mothra stabs him, he's just flailing there on the ground, more or less at ground zero for Goji's melt down, but when he submits to Goji, all he has is that chest hole from Mothra.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
Man....Godzilla got dropped from the upper atmosphere and survived. There's absolutely nothing Kong could do to him even if Goji didn't go full meltdown mode.

Anywho, I saw the movie last night. The human stuff was fine, though I do believe some of it could be cut, probably in the middle or so. I thought things were moving pretty quickly for a bit there. The dad's character was a little eh though considering how he just can solve everything. I guess they couldn't make him go full Sam Jackson trying to fight Goji and leave Millie Bobbie Brown an orphan, but hey man, they've got so much radiation poisoning who knows.

One thing I found pretty amusing, though if it wasn't funny to me, it'd probably be a nitpick, was Rodan's inexplicable ability to just phase out of existance to save his own life. When he fights King Ghidorah initially, he gets knocked into the ocean, and is never shown getting out before the oxygen destroyer goes off, but he turns up just fine a minute later to submit to Ghidorah. Then after Mothra stabs him, he's just flailing there on the ground, more or less at ground zero for Goji's melt down, but when he submits to Goji, all he has is that chest hole from Mothra.

Rodan is a true survivor doing whatever it takes haha. I love that look Godzilla gives him at the end.

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
Some things that irked me :

Why did Godzilla seem weaker in the final fight even though one of the good guys said « wow he's big, he's been working out ? ». He actually seemed to do better against Ghidorah in the water before being bombed.

What did Mothra do in the movie ? What was she doing over the ocean ? I thought she would have some kind of healing ability but it didn't seem so.

Even when she sacrificed herself, I thought the green dust would heal Godzilla but no ...they say he just needs some time to get better.

ForgeForsaken

Oct 27, 2017
20 minutes into the future.
Was that Mammoth Kaiju original or from something. I remember a movie from the ~70s about a giant mammoth and people trapped in a hotel maybe, but Google is not helping here, keeps only giving me results for more recent movies about Mammoths. Does anyone know what film I'm thinking of? Might have been made for TV.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California

Why did Godzilla seem weaker in the final fight even though one of the good guys said « wow he's big, he's been working out ? ». He actually seemed to do better against Ghidorah in the water before being bombed.

What did Mothra do in the movie ? What was she doing over the ocean ? I thought she would have some kind of healing ability but it didn't seem so.

Even when she sacrificed herself, I thought the green dust would heal Godzilla but no ...they say he just needs some time to get better.

Godzilla is probably a much better fighter in water especially over Ghidorah. The Mothras have a symbiotic/friendly relationship with Godzilla, she was crying out to him. A Mothra and Godzilla probably tag teamed against Ghidorah in the ancient past.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
The burning Godzilla is taken from the Heisei films. He is empowered in Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II by a fellow monster's sacrifice exactly like in this film, though not by Mothra but by Rodan, and gains a superpowered red spiral beam he beats the villain with. Then in Godzilla vs Destoroyah he starts going critical and is showing burning and glowing like in this film. That he's going to meltdown and irradiate a large amount of the planet is basically the plot of that film, though it ended a lot worse for him there than it did here.

He was also given a superpowered boost in Godzilla Final Wars, also against a version of King Ghidorah. In that one he blasted him with a powered up beam so OP it blew Ghidorah literally into space and then exploded. Final Wars is bonkers, it makes this film look sane and rational.

Last edited:

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
The burning Godzilla is taken from the Heisei films. He is empowered in Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II by a fellow monster's sacrifice exactly like in this film, though not by Mothra but by Rodan, and gains a superpowered red spiral beam he beats the villain with. Then in Godzilla vs Destoroyah he starts going critical and is showing burning and glowing like in this film. That he's going to meltdown and irradiate a large amount of the planet is basically the plot of that film, though it ended a lot worse for him there than it did here.

Yeah in here he used it as a weapon. Venting excess radiation is no problem at all.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017

Godzilla was shown in the 2014 film to be very graceful in water, he makes no noise and moves very swiftly (in fact it's the last shot of the 2014 film, the water being immediately calm after he dives under the waves), it's not til he's on land that he lumbers around. They carried that on to this film where he got the drop on Ghidorah who obviously is not so swift in the water and was actually kicking his ass underwater til the Oxygen Destroyer hit. It was actually Godzilla being clever cos he ambushed Ghidorah and tackled him into the water on purpose. Ghidorah on land is near unstoppable. However, when Mothra showed up they had the advantage, if Rodan didn't join in Mothra and Godzilla would certainly have beaten Ghidorah two on one.

Mothra glowing over the ocean was showing them the way to Godzilla so they could help him, and her death powered up Godzilla to the Burning form he used to kill Ghidorah. As soon as her dust is on him he started to glow red, but he obviously needed a few moments to charge up, and Ghidorah was right on him, hence the need to distract him for a minute.

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
Godzilla was shown in the 2014 film to be very graceful in water, he makes no noise and moves very swiftly (in fact it's the last shot of the 2014 film, the water being immediately calm after he dives under the waves), it's not til he's on land that he lumbers around. They carried that on to this film where he got the drop on Ghidorah who obviously is not so swift in the water and was actually kicking his ass underwater til the Oxygen Destroyer hit. It was actually Godzilla being clever cos he ambushed Ghidorah and tackled him into the water on purpose. Ghidorah on land is near unstoppable. However, when Mothra showed up they had the advantage, if Rodan didn't join in Mothra and Godzilla would certainly have beaten Ghidorah two on one.

Mothra glowing over the ocean was showing them the way to Godzilla so they could help him, and her death powered up Godzilla to the Burning form he used to kill Ghidorah. As soon as her dust is on him he started to glow red, but he obviously needed a few moments to charge up, and Ghidorah was right on him, hence the need to distract him for a minute.
I thought him glowing red was just the nuke timer getting close to 0 like the guy kept reminding «only 5 minutes left ».

Oct 29, 2017
I was laughing at this movie when I left the theather but now I am just in disbelief how bad it was, just a waste of time and money, should just have studied for my exams and shit. I have no hopes for G vs KK, it going to be awful and the monsterverse deserves to die. Best Hollywood Kaiju movie is still the first Jurassic World.

May I ask why the movie felt the need to try to top a scene with an awkward sex joke, not once but three times?
This movie was obsessed with sex jokes. They wanted do quips like a Marvel movie but it just channeled Bayformers.

You know what's funny? There are monsters fighting almost throughout the whole thing but they just don't show it. I am going to breakdown avery "monster fight" scene for you:

>Monster #1 appears and poses
>Monster #2 appears and poses
>Staredown
>The monsters clash and the fight starts!
>Immediately cut to human characters having awful dialogue and exposition for 5 minutes
>10 seconds snippet of monster fight
>Go back to humans doing/talking some dumb shit
>Go back to the monsters and the fight is already over, sometimes it doesn't even show it ending it's just already over

It's awful and 2014 is way better than this because the final fight is actually good. Such a shame, it felt they actually listened to complaints and said "And we're going to do it worse".

Maybe I was being too harsh, probably around 8%.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I thought him glowing red was just the nuke timer getting close to 0 like the guy kept reminding «only 5 minutes left ».
I believe the idea is his Burning form which could run off the excess radiation as an attack was from Mothra empowering him. When he fires the nuclear pulses, you hear Mothra's cry and there's a slight outline of her wings in the blast.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Mothra and Rodan felt very under-utilised. They just get upstaged by King Ghidorah. I thought the movie should have just removed one of them and saved the other for a sequel.

Oct 2, 2018
I loved 2014's Godzilla movie despite its problems and found "the action" impactful and exciting. My showing of 2014's movie went berserke at the the final act in 2014's godzilla and we walked out saying how amazing it was. IT WAS JUST SO GOOD!!

So I was super hyped going into this.

this new one was a muddy uninteresting mess... with lots of horrible things about it - I did read that the director did Krampus (a PG 13 horror movie i found to be fucking boring and dull); and that he wrote and directed this and I think most people can easily blame him for its failings - and btw the bad jokes, bad human things, zhang ziyi being mostly incoherent and having to deliver some of the movie's most important lines about what a creature is and mythology to the confused almost uninspired kaiju fights... it just didnt work for me.

I also didn't super lover the hydra monster design and I wish they did more with that monster and the bat monster also. A movie about kaiju fights that didnt' deliver on the awesome kaiju fights.

2014 Godzilla for me was a 9/10
??? ? King Kong was a 8.5/10
2019 KOTM is about a 5/10 movie

I dont think there was a single instance in this movie that I felt was exciting or amazing. I do hope people go see this so we get our Godzilla vs King Kong movie but I also want the movie to bomb because its just not a good movie. I'm with the critics on this one.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean onscreen it is around 10 minutes lol

On screen it's like half the film. Godzilla 2014 literally has 10 minutes of Godzilla. KOTM is many multiples of that. Even when the humans are getting the focus the monsters are visibly fighting in the background. The last fight itself is longer than your assessment and there are several other fights besides that in the movie.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This was my understanding of the movie. Spoiler tagging it so it doesn't destroy mobile users with GIFs

So first
tumblr_m6n9q4CKgX1rx8hsvo4_500.gif

Then
4j9k9uet6uq21.gif

Because they wanted to
giphy.gif

And

FaroffFrankChevrotain-small.gif

tumblr_mjzh1klE5D1s0awfro1_500.gif

But then
cI_j1I.gif

Then he was all
tenor.gif

But then they were like
HarshCostlyCaecilian-small.gif

And
VastRecklessAfricanbushviper-small.gif

So he could
6595q.gif

And all of a sudden
tenor.gif

And he was all
giphy.gif

But then
AWXzqgg.gif

So he could
OZ87dUd.gif

And finally
TblBTz0.gif

RWom0VI.gif

Last edited:

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think it was just the American take on him gaining the red power, which he originally got from absorbing Rodan instead of Mothra, iirc

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I think it was just the American take on him gaining the red power, which he originally got from absorbing Rodan instead of Mothra, iirc
It was a pretty direct reference to his Burning Godzilla form in Vs Destoroyah, right down the danger of him either exploding or melting down.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the movie for the fights, but I think I like 2014 Godzilla a little better. There was more "impact" if that makes sense. Having said that I thought the shots of the monster fights we got were dope. Really anticipating this coming to UHD and HDR. Feel like it's going to be a reference disk.

The human plot was trash as to be expected. The scientist that seemed to have a joke every 5 minutes was annoying, and cringey. Other than that, I enjoyed it for what it is. Ghidora was OP as fuck. It took Godzilla getting a major XP boost to defeat him. They did a good job of showing how unstoppable Ghidora was up to that point. Mothra's a real one. Really enjoyed her scenes, wish we got more. Rodan being compared to Starscream is super accurate here. Will be interesting to see his usage in the next movie.

Speaking of, I feel like we're going to get a Batman v Superman situation. There's no way Kong can beat Godzilla. I feel like they're going to fight it out at first until we see Ghidora back in some form, at which point they'll team up to take him down. Otherwise the film might be a waste of time. There's literally nothing Kong can do to Godzilla on the scale of what Ghidora was doing in their fights.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
When they talked how the humanity as a whole was considered a Titan I smile thinking in certain famous anime.

I think the scenes prior Godzilla resurrection were a bit slow, but overall I liked the movie. 7/10.

Ah. And Rodan is mexican and I fucking love this. I don't remember if there were more Titans in México, but a Quetzacoatl-like Titan should be somewhere, I hope.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
I remember seeing a toy of that, actually.

But I think we're thinking of different movies. I might be talking about Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2
Godzilla is powered up by Rodan sacrificing himself in that film, it gives Godzilla a superpowered red atomic breath he trashes Mechagodzilla with . KOTM combined both into one.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Godzilla is powered up by Rodan sacrificing himself in that film, it gives Godzilla a superpowered red atomic breath he trashes Mechagodzilla with . KOTM combined both into one.
Yeah, they swapped Rodan out with Mothra

Speaking of, Rodan is the Starscream of Legendary Godzilla