• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really know what to make of the reactions here. They are all over the place. My wife and I were going to see this sometime this weekend but are now thinking twice about that decision - might see something else instead.

For those that have seen it - would I enjoy this if I thought Godzilla '14 was fine (I appreciate the slow burn approach but the characters were definitely weak) and surprisingly enjoyed Kong (despite the myriad of issues others always bring up)?

I feel the same way as you, though I don't know if we agree on specifics.

I enjoyed it.

Kong > King Of The Monsters > Godzilla

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I thought this was pretty damn good. I liked 2014, so YMMV. There's tons of monster action, and some is hard to see for sure, but a ton of it is perfectly visible. Sure, there's no long take of two guys in CGI rubber suits just throwing down for ten minutes, but if you expected that you definitely had the wrong idea. I thought the middle was a little slow but overall didn't mind the plot or characters either.

cjelly

Oct 27, 2017
Saw it last night.

Feels like a million other disaster movies with a brief Godzilla cameo.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Look at the critics score vs the audience. People are loving this movie and ultimately that's what matters. I just got back from watching it and people were cheering/clapping A LOT.

This movie will have good wom and it'll put a lot of people on seats. I enjoyed it more than Godzilla 2014 but I feel G14's cinematography was way better.

This movie will be fine.

I don't know how much weight you can put into an audience score after a day or two. You are probably getting a lot of the most hyped/die hards seeing it by that point. It's like 1000 reviews. Not inconsequential, but Godzilla 2014 (which has a lower audience score than critic score) has like 175,000 reviews. We'll see if that kind of number holds for King of the Monsters.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know it was possible to write dialogue this consistently bad line to line unless your name was Tommy Wiseau. God damn. Makes John. P Quicksilver from the last movie look like a well developed character.
And it was like they were so busy coming up with fan masturbation from old godzilla movies that they could cram into this movie that they forgot to include an original movie in here too. It was just some nerd's greatest hits. They had one original thought in this movie and it was my favorite part.
For some reason the monarch organization is star trek now? I guess because that's what happened in some of the older japanese ones, and for no other reason. Flying around in make believe superjets with glowing futuristic hallways of rock compartments. Not to mention their mothra force fields. Just completely lost touch with any semblance of reality.
And glasses jokes guy is just the intolerable jurassic world shithead all over again.

At least the monster fights were cool. When you could see them. They obscured them so much it made me wonder if they were doing it to hide rushed cgi which usually looked worse than 2014 and lacked the same weight.

Just amature hour all around. No tension. Made me wonder which high school kid they found to write the movie. I would say at least 85% of the dialogue is cringy cliche bullshit only a teenager could think is adequate. That "oh my god...zilla" from the commercial was the biggest clue that I didn't want to believe. I want to preemptively fire Dougherty from his next project and send him to his room to think about what he's done.

I'm an enormous godzilla fan and I usually enjoy the cheese. But this had the cheese without the same charm.
My main positive takeaway is that when humans keep their mouths shut things are allowed to get kinda cool. My boy Rodan back on the big screen. Mothra lookin fine. Ghidorah looking monstrous. See it for the monster fights if you're into that, the artists put in work. As a fan of this stuff I don't regret it, but they sure tried to make me. Made me miss Gareth.
Music was pretty cool too.
Oh but skip the 3D for sure. I went 3D because I was hoping it would take advantage of the sense of scale with the monsters. Half the time I could hardly even tell it was in 3D. Poor post conversion.

I'm glad Godzilla vs Kong has a different director and writers. I'll be back, supporting my boys again.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Look at the critics score vs the audience. People are loving this movie and ultimately that's what matters. I just got back from watching it and people were cheering/clapping A LOT.

This movie will have good wom and it'll put a lot of people on seats. I enjoyed it more than Godzilla 2014 but I feel G14's cinematography was way better.

This movie will be fine.
I legitimately might burn an A-List reservation this week just so I can give this a negative review on Rotten Tomatoes. (I saw it at a theater that doesn't ticket through Fandango) It's that bad. A black mark on Godzilla 2014 and Skull Island (two legitimately spectacular movies).

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I don't know how much weight you can put into an audience score after a day or two. You are probably getting a lot of the most hyped/die hards seeing it by that point. It's like 1000 reviews. Not inconsequential, but Godzilla 2014 (which has a lower audience score than critic score) has like 175,000 reviews. We'll see if that kind of number holds for King of the Monsters.
you need to be verified now for audience score, so I don't imagine we'll get that many reviews for KotM. Should wait till few days for sure tho.
I wish I could vote it (watched it in Indonesia), I'd give it positive review to balance out Mushroomer25's XD

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018

This movie will be fine.

I feel like the audience score for franchises with a dedicated fanbase are always a bit inflated.
If we go by personal experience, me and my whole group were extremely disappointed and it was the first time in my life that I heard booing in a cinema.

I am happy for everyone that enjoyed the film, but I fell like it's not a venom-level of critics/audience dissonance.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
you need to be verified now for audience score, so I don't imagine we'll get that many reviews for KotM. Should wait till few days for sure tho.
I wish I could vote it (watched it in Indonesia), I'd give it positive review to balance out Mushroomer25's XD
such is the folly of democracy

Jokes aside, I am curious to see what the Cinemascore/Audience score on this is. My audience seemed fairly bored by it, without much of a reaction at the biggest action beats. Can't imagine it does that well.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017

This movie will be fine.
It will never be not funny to me that when a movie is reviewed positively, but audience scores are low the comments are "LOOK AT THOSE TROLLS HATING ON A GREAT MOVIE". Yet whenever the opposite happens it's the critics that are wrong.

Berto

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a fan of Godzilla 2014 but I didn't like this one, story and writing is atrocious. What are those dialogues? :( The resurrection scene culminating in the Godzilla classic theme was definitly the highlight for me.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This had Transformers disease, the overemphasis on human characters when I came to see some monsters throw down. The writing was just pitiful and Vera Farmiga phoned it in hard.

When the action went down, it was mostly good, just never delivered on the promises that the marketing seemed to be making. In any case, Kong vs. Godzilla is the main event so roll on with that.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It will never be not funny to me that when a movie is reviewed positively, but audience scores are low the comments are "LOOK AT THOSE TROLLS HATING ON A GREAT MOVIE". Yet whenever the opposite happens it's the critics that are wrong.
You realize between then and now they implemented verified user reviews
1000 user reviews is very low, aladdin is at 25k for reference

hendersonhank

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep. It's why I loved it! I felt like I just watched a fresh and believable take on Godzilla that I never felt before.

Yeah 2019's limpy and bloated attempt at Godzilla sure was, and a cautionary tale about how Hollywood studio committees can not figure out how to make a good movie, no matter how much money and talent they throw at the production...they should have focused on telling a story, which movies like Shin Godzilla excel at and makes for a better movie.

Godzilla films hang on the believability and strength of their human characters. Godzilla himself can do all the coolest shit on the screen, but it won't matter if the supporting narrative is garbage.

The characters in Shin were abysmal. Were they even characters? Just interchangeable talking heads at incessant meetings.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The characters in Shin were abysmal. Were they even characters? Just interchangeable talking heads at incessant meetings.

All of them? Because there were A LOT, and they all served a purpose for the shared goal of human preservation to an actual imposing and unstoppable threat. It wasn't just a blend of one note quip junk or lame Thanos inspired villains. The movie had focus. The cast of Shin Gojira was intelligently broke into buckets, each with several standouts, and all set to reach the primary objective in different ways that wasn't completely unrealistic and insane.

Those buckets included political/ministry/admin (the prime minister), science and environmental divisions (each with representatives and some goofy standouts, especially in the science department), representatives of foreign and domestic affairs (with two characters especially sharing some great chemistry), journalism, military, and civilian. I can see that you might be "abysmally disappointed" that they might not be designed in a way that you personally find enjoyable. There's no distinct lead, but It wasn't designed in that way, which to me made it much more interesting and unique. The Prime Minister maybe could be your "Conan," as he's the character you get inside his head for a good part of the first act, but the director was explicitly simulating a larger scale event, and well, you remember what happened to the prime minister...At least he didn't get the Sally Hawkins treatment though, right?

What we got in KOTM was two things: an airplane chock full of plot synopsis and wasteful expository dialog, and then Eleven from Stranger Things running away from mustache twirling British man with a mind control McGuffin. Shin created a diverse network of characters, instead of a heavy reduction and oversimplification to race to the credits.

I would say it requires some attention, which may cause some to have a harder time following but saying the characters are "all the same" in Shin is pretty disingenuous. I wouldn't want to imply that you think all Asians look the same to you, but the cast was far FAR more complex than you give it credit for, and designed in such an elaborate and intricate fashion. They didn't need to be action heroes. Talking is fine and the quality of that dialog is what makes good Godzilla movies good (like Shin Godzilla), and bad Godzilla movies bad (like KOTM).

I get where you're coming from, I just disagree with the premise.

VileZero

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Maryland/DC
My wife and I enjoyed it for what it was, but we both agreed that the human plots were very paper thin. The downside is that, compared to GODZILLA (2014), I think this is a downgrade. Say what you will about the first film, but it had a sense of scale and awe that KotM just couldn't replicate. The cinematography in the first film was breathtaking, whereas it wasn't anything special in this film. Admittedly, I had really high hopes going into this film - and ultimately, I had a good time with it - but there's a nagging feeling in the back of my head that this could have been even cooler with a better director.

Looking at the director for GODZILLA VS KONG, I'm worried the same thing will happen there. Not sure how Adam Wingard landed that job, especially after directing the atrocious DEATH NOTE film.

bobbychalkers

Oct 26, 2017
2014 felt a bit more weighty in terms of the human drama but this straight up feels like the 80s/90s style cheesy Zilla movies with a western cast and a bigger budget. Dumb but I still had fun.

Draconestra

Avenger
Nov 2, 2017
Watched it last night. This movie delivers on the action, in fact it goes straight to it within the first twenty minutes probably. Such a huge contrast compared to the 2014 film. It is true that the human side of the movie doesn't really shine. You have a basic plot, and they make some questionable decisions too. Still, I came in to watch monsters fight and it delivered. I was surprised to see more than one show up though, did not expect that.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

Probably the same weight you can put on critic reviews. They mean nothing really, either someone enjoys it or they don't because we all like different things.

Very rare I agree with critics these days and critic reviews make no difference to if I see a movie or not, I like to make my own mind up. I certainly don't agree with the critic reviews on this one, I really enjoyed the movie and well worth the trip to the local IMAX. It has some minor issues but nothing that ever came close to stopping me being really entertained. I cannot wait to see it again this weekend, that's how much I liked it.

Plan on seeing it in 4DX as well, as I hear it's a blast for this one and makes the most of the 4DX experience.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017

This movie will be fine.
My audience was pretty cold and disperse, but even not liking it I hope this movie makes money. I need this franchise to keep going

Mechashiva

Jan 7, 2018
This reminded me a bunch of Independence Day 2. Everyone was everywhere all over the world at all turns and it was just so boring in between spots of good. You could have sliced 40 minutes out and it would h e been pretty solid but it was a big let down. The monsters were cool but I can't watch this again. 2014 was way better even having less.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Great movie, a lot of crowd pops at certain scenes.
Actually having enjoyable people and not boring Aaron Taylor Johnson made the film much better than 2014.

Easily the best version of the big 4 to ever hit the screen. First time in 35 years I actually enjoyed Mothra

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
All of them? Because there were A LOT, and they all served a purpose for the shared goal of human preservation to an actual imposing and unstoppable threat. It wasn't just a blend of one note quip junk or lame Thanos inspired villains. The movie had focus. The cast of Shin Gojira was intelligently broke into buckets, each with several standouts, and all set to reach the primary objective in different ways that wasn't completely unrealistic and insane.

Those buckets included political/ministry/admin (the prime minister), science and environmental divisions (each with representatives and some goofy standouts, especially in the science department), representatives of foreign and domestic affairs (with two characters especially sharing some great chemistry), journalism, military, and civilian. I can see that you might be "abysmally disappointed" that they might not be designed in a way that you personally find enjoyable. There's no distinct lead, but It wasn't designed in that way, which to me made it much more interesting and unique. The Prime Minister maybe could be your "Conan," as he's the character you get inside his head for a good part of the first act, but the director was explicitly simulating a larger scale event, and well, you remember what happened to the prime minister...At least he didn't get the Sally Hawkins treatment though, right?

What we got in KOTM was two things: an airplane chock full of plot synopsis and wasteful expository dialog, and then Eleven from Stranger Things running away from mustache twirling British man with a mind control McGuffin. Shin created a diverse network of characters, instead of a heavy reduction and oversimplification to race to the credits.

I would say it requires some attention, which may cause some to have a harder time following but saying the characters are "all the same" in Shin is pretty disingenuous. I wouldn't want to imply that you think all Asians look the same to you, but the cast was far FAR more complex than you give it credit for, and designed in such an elaborate and intricate fashion. They didn't need to be action heroes. Talking is fine and the quality of that dialog is what makes good Godzilla movies good (like Shin Godzilla), and bad Godzilla movies bad (like KOTM).

I get where you're coming from, I just disagree with the premise.
Shin was filled with pitical nonsense, cool that you enjoy sitting through bureaucracy but that shit couldn't be more unappealing. Wasting time on a bunch of yes men and legal mumble jumbo.

I get it's poking at what happened in Japan with the reactor but as someone watching a Godzilla film, that shit could have either been heavily trimmed or just fast forwarded past.

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
The story/characters were nonsense in this flick, which only bothered me because the monster stuff also wasn't that great. Part of what I loved about Godzilla 2014 was its majestic scope, how the camera treated Godzilla as something to be feared and respected, a true force of nature, a god among us. There's very little of that here, it's way more campy and traditional kaiju. Which is fine, I guess, but a huge source of my disappointment was the radical shift in tone, and the way the creatures suddenly just became toys to toss around a sandbox.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Shin was filled with pitical nonsense, cool that you enjoy sitting through bureaucracy but that shit couldn't be more unappealing. Wasting time on a bunch of yes men and legal mumble jumbo.

I get it's poking at what happened in Japan with the reactor but as someone watching a Godzilla film, that shit could have either been heavily trimmed or just fast forwarded past.
It was a Godzilla film in the sense of being a "Godzilla (1954)" film, updating that narrative from commentary on nuclear arms fears and aftermath of Hiroshima/Nagasaki to commentary on the Fukushima disaster.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
OH SHIT SCOOPS IS HERE

Very well stated though, Patrick. Edwards had a much better handle on scale.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
2014 felt a bit more weighty in terms of the human drama but this straight up feels like the 80s/90s style cheesy Zilla movies with a western cast and a bigger budget. Dumb but I still had fun.
Man I wonder how much would the film be remembred for, if Walter White hadn't dumped an oscar worthy performance in a broom closet.

Deleted member 7777

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The story/characters were nonsense in this flick, which only bothered me because the monster stuff also wasn't that great. Part of what I loved about Godzilla 2014 was its majestic scope, how the camera treated Godzilla as something to be feared and respected, a true force of nature, a god among us. There's very little of that here, it's way more campy and traditional kaiju. Which is fine, I guess, but a huge source of my disappointment was the radical shift in tone, and the way the creatures suddenly just became toys to toss around a sandbox.

This is more or less my take as well. Big let down compared to 'zilla '14.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I dunno what else to tell you, other than that's what Godzilla movies are when they are considered "good." Hubris, the inability to act, the moment of reflection on ones own actions or inactions...you know, a story. A reason to exist outside of, "wow he punched the monster and now I will clap."

These are core principles and messages from the franchise that could easily slide into Hollywood schlock if done poorly (see: KOTM).

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing this Sunday morning.

Really excited from all the comments which say there's a shit ton of monster fights in this. Sounds like the perfect cinema experience.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
Haven't been keeping up with the godzilla info, and these might've been posted earlier, but the Chinese posters for the movie are fucking amazing.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I thought Godzilla '14 was decent but man, seeing the reviews / RT go from that to this is pretty disheartening. I've also read a lot of comments online of people taking glee about the bigger emphasis on monster fights (especially people who were vocal in their dislike of GZ '14) but based on what I've read about its projected opening weekend, it seems that won't matter much if audiences aren't interested in this movie. Honestly hurts too, given the incredible trailers.

Between this, PR: Uprising, and JW: Fallen Kingdom, it feels like Legendary doesn't understand how to make good sequels to their recent spate of monster / Kaiju movies. While Fallen Kingdom was able to gross a billion regardless, it seems like it's going to eventually catch up with them. At least Godzilla vs. Kong seems to have a different director and writer on board, so maybe that might buck the trend. I dunno. :[

Deleted member 1120

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the camera treating Godzilla something to be feared just a way of justifying why we don't see a lot of Godzilla in the 2014 movie?

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
Just came back from IMAX screening... I don't understand. The movie is amazing! I legitimately have never seen a Kaiju fight this amazing before. Hit all the right now with Godzilla fan service as well

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
N
Is the camera treating Godzilla something to be feared just a way of justifying why we don't see a lot of Godzilla in the 2014 movie?
I actually don't have a problem with the amount/lack of Godzilla in the 2014 movie, but even if I grant that...

Look at the bridge scene from that movie. There is a terror to that scene that isn't ANYWHERE in King of the Monsters, which is basically a post ID4-Emmerich movie. I say post ID4 because part of what makes ID4 work, besides the spectacular visuals, is how fun it is to root for all the different characters. People don't give that movie enough credit for that being such a huge part of why it holds up. King of the Monsters is really lacking that.

bobbychalkers

Oct 26, 2017
Man I wonder how much would the film be remembred for, if Walter White hadn't dumped an oscar worthy performance in a broom closet.
i genuinely enjoy Zilla 14 but yeah, he set the bar. I can't see the series going back that going off of KOTM. I know people are divided on what they want from a Kaiju flick but I've always felt that the best ones really sell the level of destruction and weight of it all through the human drama.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
i genuinely enjoy Zilla 14 but yeah, he set the bar. I can't see the series going back that going off of KOTM. I know people are divided on what they want from a Kaiju flick but I've always felt that the best ones really sell the level of destruction and weight of it all through the human drama.
They should have got Puff to drop another Kaiju jam.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
My only other friend who is a kaiju friend said how he LOVED the showing tonight, with the familiar take on how it felt like a Showa movie. He usually gets pretty hyped for these things but was absolutely floored by it....

Guess I will have to wait till tonight to see how I feel!

bobbychalkers

Oct 26, 2017
They should have got Puff to drop another Kaiju jam.
giphy.gif