• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird that a big criticism of Godzilla 2014 was they kept cutting away from the monster fights, to the boring humans.

Yet now the new movie gives the monster fights the spotlight and suddenly critics are upset with the story being crap ??? I think some of them just don't get Godzilla or fun movies.

Bad human stuff in the first movie and bad human stuff in this movie seems like a consistent criticism to me though?

What's weird is that people are so quick to accept bad human characters/stories as not just baked in for Godzilla movies, but almost as a requirement, like the genre doesn't need to do any better than that. When usually it's the best Godzilla movies ('54, Mothra vs., Destroyah, Shin, and imo the two Kiryu films particularly the first) that have the best realized human characters/stories. Like it doesn't need to be one or the other, we've seen that this franchise can do both!

I love Adam Wingard, but that score makes me loose hope that the studio will let him Wingard it up.
Too late at this point, that movie's out in less than a year.

Ether30

Alt account
Banned
May 23, 2019
Maybe but the two casuals I was with that saw the movie didn't like it much at all. Hard to call the audience reception for this one, should lean towards more favorable compared to 14' though.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I'm seeing this regardless of the scores, but I hope the general audience will like it too. Maybe good word of mouth might help with the BO performance, like with Aladdin.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
I saw it last week, and absolutely loved it. Everything TDLink is true. Without question some of the most astonishingly shot and flat-out exhilarating kaiju combat ever committed to film, graced by a truly magnificent score. It was relentless, occasionally silly, but ultimately a glorious romp in the spirit of of the mid-60s to -70s heyday (IMO) of Toho flicks, and anyone who enjoyed the films of that era, owes it to themselves to see it.

I was seeing this regardless but this has me happy.

leburn98

Nov 1, 2017
Hey, if superhero movies can do it...
Which movies? Most of them, well the good ones anyways, have plenty of character development and interaction. Even Endgame despite being over 3 hours didn't really have
any big action set pieces until the third act

Most superhero films have 2 to 3 key action scenes in a 2 hour runtime. Although, I guess it depends on what your definition of action is. For me, films like John Wick and Transformers are films that I would classify as non-stop action.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Which movies? Most of them, well the good ones anyways, have plenty of character development and interaction. Even Endgame despite being over 3 hours didn't really have

Most superhero films have 2 to 3 key action scenes in a 2 hour runtime. Although, I guess it depends on what your definition of action is. For me, films like John Wick and Transformers are films that I would classify as non-stop action.
They're probably referring to stuff like Venom and Aquaman. Super Hero movies more or less have gotten a decent formula down right that Monster movies have yet to replicate.

It's simply harder to wrap a story around a nonverbal monster and build good characters around that when most of the fan-base still just wants to see them just destroy shit. It's the same reason the Hulk films haven't really found an audience the way Batman and Spiderman films have.

Though at the very least Hulk has Banner to characterize.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Dredd was pretty much non stop action and it's one of the best comic book movies.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Unfortunately nobody went to see it :(. Dredd is great, but it's the exception not the norm for superhero films. Btw, if anyone likes the John Wick or The Raid films I highly recommend Dredd.
It's incredibly sad people didn't start taking notice of it until it was too late...

I remember seeing it in a nearly empty theater during opening week.

Rran

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I saw it last week, and absolutely loved it. Everything TDLink is true. Without question some of the most astonishingly shot and flat-out exhilarating kaiju combat ever committed to film, graced by a truly magnificent score. It was relentless, occasionally silly, but ultimately a glorious romp in the spirit of of the mid-60s to -70s heyday (IMO) of Toho flicks, and anyone who enjoyed the films of that era, owes it to themselves to see it.
My inner child is screaming with joy right now.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Too many cuts to humans during the fights and there is a lot of shaky cam going if that ain't your thing .
For me, the human/ground-level perspective is what elevates giant monster stuff from cool spectacle to amazing visceral spectacle, that captures the disaster movie nightmare aspect of kaiju. I'm quite glad to hear that this movie didn't forget that aspect as the 2014 film while also having tons more monster-scale action

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
Of course you can have 'non-stop' action and still have a good story and interesting characters.

But comparing it to John Wick or Dredd is unfair, because those characters can communicate and advance the plot themselves. I hate to break it to you, but Godzilla can't talk. Yet...

So you have to have a separate cast of characters that not only explain why the giant monster destroying cities is somehow a good guy, but also make you care about them and the humans too. It is a remit that normal action films do not have to deal with.

I'm not saying it can't be done well, but there's probably a reason Hollywood has struggled with this kind of film. They are very, very silly.

Ether30

Alt account
Banned
May 23, 2019
For me, the human/ground-level perspective is what elevates giant monster stuff from cool spectacle to amazing visceral spectacle, that captures the disaster movie nightmare aspect of kaiju. I'm quite glad to hear that this movie didn't forget that aspect as the 2014 film while also having tons more monster-scale action

I've mentioned a few times that if 14' does one thing quite a bit better is the sense of dread/horror compared to this one.

It isn't the same even though the scope is larger in this one.

The problem with the cuts are that it's mostly for the humans to set up shitty plot devices. Cutting to the humans when panicking and have a sense of terror is totally understandable and this one just doesn't pull it off as well in that one aspect.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Skull Island straight up worse than the Emmerich Godzilla movie tbh.
giphy.gif

Ether30

Alt account
Banned
May 23, 2019
If you take a shot for how many times a human character is literally right in front of a Kaiju AND at the same time there's complete destruction going on around with basically the ground collapsing yet survive in this movie you'd be at about Robert Downey's dark days level of f*cked up.

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
Some people coming in here and saying the 98 Godzilla is better than 2014 and Skull Island. Fuck that. Im still pumped to see this, it sounds like a big budget Showa film.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you take a shot for how many times a human character is literally right in front of a Kaiju AND at the same time there's complete destruction going on around with basically the ground collapsing yet survive in this movie you'd be at about Robert Downey's dark days level of f*cked up.
This won't bother me at all.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Some people coming in here and saying the 98 Godzilla is better than 2014 and Skull Island. Fuck that. Im still pumped to see this, it sounds like a big budget Showa film.

I would take 98 over 14, but Skull Island is a stretch. KOTM is far above them all though. What it gets right matters so much more than the areas it comes up short in.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The worst parts of the trailers were the close ups to Millie Bobby Brown, please tell me they don't constantly cut to her reaction during fights ?

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
Search your feelings, you know it to be true...

Went to see 98 on my 8th birthday, I remember being incredibly disappointed... and it actually ended my Godzilla phase I was going through until Godzilla 2000 showed up in theaters. Experiencing both 2014 and Skull Island in theaters was the exact opposite, and I'm a bigger fan of Godzilla than ever.

Oct 27, 2017
My inner child is screaming with joy right now.

Mine was too at first, but he ended up passing out trying to take it all in. Shit gets real, "Final Wars" style, only this movie was actually good. :p

It's hard to explain, but KOTM felt like validation for having long kept the faith in an obscure fandom, and being rewarded with Godzilla, his enemies, allies and their conflicts brought to life as they had once only existed in your imagination. Like, if there was a way to tell my child self that someday, something like this would be possible, dude would've scarcely been able to believe it.

Last edited:

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dredd was pretty much non stop action and it's one of the best comic book movies.
Dredd is incredibly well-paced with very efficient storytelling.

The action choreography is very clear and easy to follow.

How the action in a film is delivered goes a real long way.

I imagine the visceral close-quarters combat of Dredd is a lot easier for the average person to empathize with than unfathomably huge cartoon monsters punching each other.

Last edited:

Ether30

Alt account
Banned
May 23, 2019
If I seem like a Debbie downer it's only because I want to make sure peoples execrations are in check somewhat lol

It's better than the hyperbolic bullshit that normally comes out of early screenings just to be let down .

Jul 18, 2018
I would definitely watch 98' Zilla over 2014 any day of the week. I don't get the hate, the movie isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Fun adventure flick that has late 90's/early 2000's aesthetic to it all. Will say it is less of a zilla movie and better if seen as a creature movie. However Skull Island is some top tier stuff, especially in cinematography

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I seem like a Debbie downer it's only because I want to make sure peoples execrations are in check somewhat lol

It's better than the hyperbolic bullshit that normally comes out of early screenings just to be let down .
I get where you're coming from, I just don't think there is any Kaiju movie out there that is even close to comparable in terms of both the quality and quantity of spectacle on display here.

The movie isn't perfect, and it could have been better, but for the genre and the series you'd be hard pressed to find something better currently out there (imo). And I don't see how fans of the series or genre are going to be disappointed.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'd say the 'audience' doesn't always represent the fans in this case. They're the general public, and a lot of them won't have much exposure to Godzilla outside 98.

At any rate, Godzilla 2014 disappointed a lot of fans because it was trying too hard to break free of its B movie roots, which pleased critics but not fans. It sounds like they've tried to rectify that with this film, but they were always going to struggle with the critics in doing so.

If you drew a venn diagram of film critics and Godzilla fans you'd have two separate circles.

I dunno, maybe fans will hate this one too! I'm going to see it on Saturday regardless.
Yeah like technically I think 2014 was a pretty good film. Good visuals, great score. But too many cock teases of Godzilla before he actually fought. Like I vividly remember huge audience frowns during the airport scene and the first city battle when the doors closed to block the action.

At the end of the day people just wanna see monsters fight a lot.

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
I would definitely watch 98' Zilla over 2014 any day of the week. I don't get the hate, the movie isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Fun adventure flick that has late 90's/early 2000's aesthetic to it all. Will say it is less of a zilla movie and better if seen as a creature movie. However Skull Island is some top tier stuff, especially in cinematography

Oh I don't hate the movie by any means. I picked up the 4K release a week or two ago and have had it on in the background a few times. Its a fun monster movie, I just don't see it as a Godzilla movie.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine opening your fridge and having a choice between 3 types of sandwhich but knowing all are about 4 weeks old.

How I would feel about eating any one of those sandwhiches is how I feel about having to sit through any one of those 3 films again.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
do people really, truly want almost 90 minutes of monsters beating the shit out of each other without any kind of thought or feeling?

They're dancing around the point.

Plenty of films have non-stop action, the difference is they're good films with good action. And GKOTM is apparently neither.

You can have as much or as little Godzilla as you want, non-hardcore fans aren't gonna care if it's not done well.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

It was written and produced by the same guy who wrote and directed Ex Machina and Annihilation.. and he was on board to write the sequels ! We missed out on what could have been a great franchise.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
maybe have the monsters communicate with their classic sounds modified to portray a more wide arrange of emotions and complex facial expressions but pike not in a creepy uncanny happy way?

have the monsters talk without talking

Hakai

Oct 27, 2017
I watched it today, did not liked it at all.

Pacing is terrible, they focus too much in the human side of the story and it is not a good one to be honest.

The movie plays the "we are doomed" card way too much and the kaijus fights are not great.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
*Looks at the first four Transformers movies*

Seriously, people forget that the framing device of the first film was Shia slobbering over a half naked Megan Fox while Jon Turturro hams it up and Tyrese yells a lot.

Godzilla '14 was Shakespeare compared to Bayformers. There's only so much you can do with the human characters who are virtually powerless in these films.