• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I knew from the first trailer that I wouldn't care about the humans. That's par for the course with Godzilla. As long as the monster fights deliver, that's all I need.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
I got my $14 worth just from hysterically laughing to the point of tears watching Anthony Hopkins, academy award winning actor, running from a bunch of incomprehensible CGI doing the fucking old man shuffle and having to have clearly CGI'd parkour scenes. It was beautiful.

Everything else is just dumb nonsense.

Truly one of his greatest performances:

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
I like how the movie implies that the autobots were involved with freeing the slaves. It's like the writers threw in nonsensical and absurd shit just to see what they could get away with, and it all ended up in the movie. Truly amazing.

I didn't even mention Megatron negotiating with lawyers, every fight scene amounting to the Transformers just flopping around like a video game rag doll effect gone bad and Marky Mark taking on the Gekko's from Metal Gear Solid for some reason.

The fact The Last Knight was allowed to come out and exist as the hodgepodge of complete INSANITY it is might be Bay's greatest triumph.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why monster movie directors keep spending more than 30 minutes on the humans. They keep doing that and everyone always says "fuck that story, fuck that guy, get back to the monsters." and then they do it again.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
They need to bring back guys in suits. Save some money and it's more fun anyway

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
I am gonna serve crow so hard to those betted me against when i said X-Men would have better WW than this garbage.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get why monster movie directors keep spending more than 30 minutes on the humans. They keep doing that and everyone always says "fuck that story, fuck that guy, get back to the monsters." and then they do it again.

Humans aren't the problem. Badly written humans are the problem.

I am gonna serve crow so hard to those betted me against when i said X-Men would have better WW than this garbage.
Lol Dark Phoenix is equally garbage, that's what makes the bet interesting

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Balls to the wall"

Ummm, keep your expecatations in check lol
Balls to the wall in that it's godzilla and start least three other giant famous kaiju. Yeah I'll cosnider that batshit insane balls to the wall as far as big budget Hollywood films go with their monster movies. Somehow I don't see this thpe of movie being the mainstream critic's cup of tea.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Well this is frustrating af, especially the Empire review. Dude should be forced to watch all Transformers movies in their 3.5 hour glory, complete with robot testicles, jive talking dreadlocked Transformers, parents getting high, Ken Jeong molesting people on toilets, Anthony Hopkins and John Malkovitch doing community theatre for charity etc. as a reminder of their quality.

You don't make a statement like that without suffering the consequences.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will watch for the monsters, if they got enough screentime I'll bite. Anyone knows if any review address that specifically?

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
People had no beef watching The hot garbage that was Venom, we can support Godzilla damnit

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
I can see the negative reactions mirroring mine, great trailer fodder (that gets old) and little else.

no doubt worse than the underrated 2014 film.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

The problem isn't the time spent on humans, rather that the humans are bad and the kajiu when they do appear are bad as well.

Cloverfield (different to Godzilla but bear with me) by comparison spends most of its time on the humans yet uses that to great effect, getting us to care about them while providing a unique visual perspective. The few instances we do see the monster are terrifying and feature a sense of scale that Godzilla doesn't reach just by having little tiny jets flying around.

Edit:

Pacific Rim similarly, did a lot better use with its Kajiu and made them feel immensely threatening in the speed and brutality in which they annihilated the Jeagers we spend so much of the film with and understanding what it takes to pilot one.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So can anyone confirm what I've heard that

Charles Dance is the Bryan Cranstonin of this movie, underutilizedand and killed off way too soon?

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even mention Megatron negotiating with lawyers, every fight scene amounting to the Transformers just flopping around like a video game rag doll effect gone bad and Marky Mark taking on the Gekko's from Metal Gear Solid for some reason.

The fact The Last Knight was allowed to come out and exist as the hodgepodge of complete INSANITY it is might be Bay's greatest triumph.
I tuned out when I saw Marky Mark jumping with a medallion or some shit. There was so much happening and yet I was so bored. There's some amazingly funny stuff though, when Optimus Prime gives up near the end and says "The Guardian Knights are going to kill me!" I lost it. I couldn't stop laughing.

Actually someone should just make a TLK thread. There's... a lot to that movie.

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
The problem isn't the time spent on humans, rather that the humans arenas and the kajiu when they do appear arenas as well.

Cloverfield (different to Godzilla but bear with me) by comparison spends most of its time on the humans yet uses that to great effect, getting us to care about them while providing a unique visual perspective. The few instances we do see the monster are terrifying and feature a sense of scale that Godzilla doesn't reach just by having little tiny jets flying around.

Part of Cloverfield's advantage, I think, is that the monster isn't well-defined until the end. With Godzilla/Mothra/etc, people are so desperate to see them. It's part of the inherent tension of franchises. Would the problems people had with Godzilla 2014 (a movie I loved, warts 'n all, and think holds up spectacularly) have been the same if it was a new monster, not Godzilla? Granted, the character development in Cloverfield was better, but I think the theory stands.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I cant wait for this. Easily my most anticipated film of the year.

Interesting that the reviews seem kinda low. Then again it's not like most godzilla films were 10/10 masterpeices but I expect it to be as good if not more entertaining than a regular superhero movie (which generally review well). Regardless, I'm so down for this.

Godzilla vs King Kong cant get here soon enough.

Oct 28, 2017
I really enjoyed the 2014 film. The human element was the weakest part of the film, but it didn't make it any less impressive.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Part of Cloverfield's advantage, I think, is that the monster isn't well-defined until the end. With Godzilla/Mothra/etc, people are so desperate to see them. It's part of the inherent tension of franchises. Would the problems people had with Godzilla 2014 (a movie I loved, warts 'n all, and think holds up spectacularly) have been the same if it was a new monster, not Godzilla? Granted, the character development in Cloverfield was better, but I think the theory stands.

I'm not saying it needs to be hidden or scary, in fact I added an extra edit to my post about Pacific Rim side of Kaiju which is more action packed.

My point so that there needs to be something there in terms of dynamics and impact. Godzilla can't just have two monsters fighting, there has to be some sort of juicy meaning or purpose behind how the fight is conducted.

Godzilla 2014 had the perfect opportunity to blow us away at the airport. They set up Godzilla's appearance so well with the moment of silence as his foot comes down. Then they just... Cut away. No single other moment in the film has that sense of raw intensity by a long shot. That intensity was what it should have focused on, and they just threw it in the trash.

We went from two giant beings showing us the fear god and nature being so much more powerful than us... To silly monsters shoving each other in the distant background.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stages-of-Loss.jpg

This thread is all over the place

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah they should have made the movie without CGI and turned up the funny dial just like... Venom. It would have been so easy.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
About what I expected.

I'm a Godzilla fan, for fucks sake. The critics have responded positively to like two films in the entire franchise, whereas I feel like I could make the case of multiple other films being great flicks in their own right.

Quite frankly, even if the critics LOVED this one, I'd still be cautious because kaiju stuff has only ever really gotten over in western film circles when the film doesn't put a huge focus on the monsters themselves. Not that those films are bad. Shin Godzilla is one of my favorite movies, period.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I actually think if anything critics would go in to a film like this with reasonable expectations. Just looking for some satisfying monster action, and a fun plot. This doesn't sound satisfying at all.